Overlord Series May Get Another Entry

Overlord Series May Get Another Entry

Triumph is hard at work on something resembling its quirky strategy franchise.

Overlord is a series that's a little hard to characterize. It has the fantasy setting and steady character progression of an RPG, the unit management of an RTS, and the combat system of an action game. It's funny (it's written by Rhianna Pratchett, of course), but also attempts a serious narrative arc about power's corruptive influence. Almost four years have gone by since Overlord 2, but now the series may get some new blood - or at least a spiritual successor. Developer Triumph Studios is working on something, but whether it carries the Overlord title is dependent on Codemasters, the IP-owning publisher.

Triumph's project has been in the works ever since Overlord 2 debuted in 2009. "We have done extensive pre-production, engine work and playable prototypes on projects that would very much appeal to Overlord fans," says Lennart Sas, Triumph's managing director. "We have high hopes that in the future we'll be able to bring you humour-filled action-RPG games with added minions." However, whether or not the title will carry the series name or storyline is still a matter of some contention. At present, Triumph and Codemasters are involved in some kind of talks, but progress is slow and uncertain.

Triumph hopes to release the game either way, although it notes that it may still be a few years off, given that it does not yet have the resources to go into full production. Still, for Overlord fans, the prospect of a new title could be enough good news for now. What other series lets you terrorize a peasant populace with fire-breathing imps?

Source: Eurogamer

I wish they'd taken the RTS and the RP more seriously in this game.

Nice to see the Apreciator of Voluptuous Assets gets to have a third game dedicated to him.

hopefully they make it a bit more open, and make terrorising peasants a leisure instead of a chore.

Minions? MINIONS! *does a happy dance!*

Seriously the three games I played (1, 2, and Minions) were a blast, hilariously funny. I love how you chose between being Evil or Despicable.

Despite their flaws, I enjoyed the Overlord games. Hopefully, whatever this is going to be ends up being good.

Oh yes. Now elves to butcher, and lamb chops for my minions.

YEEESSS, YESSSSS!

I loved the first one, second one not great, but it was still highly enjoyable. Being from my country (the Netherlands). makes it only more awesome to me.

Was waiting for a new release.

Nice, might have to keep an eye out for more info on this. I really enjoyed the first game. Didn't really get into the second, but I had a blast with the first.

Ooooo Overlord, Impire and War for the Over world. its going to be good to be Dungeon Lord.

Overlord 1 was a fine game. Overlord 2 looked so nice, but the gameplay killed it for me. I had to quit on the ship section because navigating a jungle in a ship was just painful.

Rhianna Pratchett? Terry's daughter? Look at that. I've been a fan of the series for years and I didn't even know that. I would certainly welcome another entry.

The humor in this series alone was worth the game for me (hence why I bought it on Steam when it was on sale). I really didn't know that Terry Pratchett's daughter was responsible for it, but in hindsight I probably should have seen the signs.

FOR DA OVERLORD!

Hey Marshall! Age of Wonders 3! That's the real news at Triumph studios.

Great, despite the flaws of both games I had a lot of fun with them. I hope that they actually improve the game this time.

Yes, yes, but will Rhianna Pratchett be involved? Because her writing was fantastic in both games...

Either way, looking very much forward to this. I crave stuff that runs with this paradigm. They just seem to flow so nicely. :D

Loved the overlord games, will be looking forward to this.

Sweet the one of my favourite game series has a continuation! Shame no one liked the anachronox as much...

Blablahb:
Nice to see the Apreciator of Voluptuous Assets gets to have a third game dedicated to him.

Pfsh. "Suppressor of Free Jester Speech" is where it's at.

But yes, another Overlord game would be nice. Just no return to the sandworms in the Ruborian Deset please, those things creep me out >.>

I am glad for this.

There are not enough games that let you play a straight badguy.

The only recent ones that come to mind for me are Mirrors Edge and Overlord.

I would say syndicate but it had that utterly retarded twist of "Herp lets have the Agent join the revolution and be a good guy!"

Man, I adored the Overlord games. The first had the best bosses, but the setting for the second game was fantastic. Loved the idea of hippie elves fighting under a banner bearing the peace sign. Would love another game in the series.

FelixG:

Did we play the same Mirror's Edge? I certainly don't remember playing as the bad guy.

Cry Wolf:

FelixG:

Did we play the same Mirror's Edge? I certainly don't remember playing as the bad guy.

The most I remember clearly of the story was running around and fighting the police...just because someone said I should deliver unknown thing to Y location.

Doesnt seem like a goodguy to me :P

FelixG:

Cry Wolf:

FelixG:

The most I remember clearly of the story was running around and fighting the police...just because someone said I should deliver unknown thing to Y location.

The police of an Orwelliand Dystopia who tries to shoot our protagonist on site because she's running messages in a City where voicing disent can get you arrested or killed. You then spend most of the game caught up in an elaborate conspiracy where they try and kill everybody running messages, irrc.

Cry Wolf:

FelixG:

Cry Wolf:

The police of an Orwelliand Dystopia who tries to shoot our protagonist on site because she's running messages in a City where voicing disent can get you arrested or killed. You then spend most of the game caught up in an elaborate conspiracy where they try and kill everybody running messages, irrc.

Hm I dont seem to recall them ever explaining WHAT was being run around in those messenger bags but they seem a little too big to be a letter or two ~.^

I have one of those bags and I can carry... a substantial amount of violent gear in there! I personally use my messenger bag for a gun tote when I travel, it fits my pistols well and lets me carry cleaning gear ammo ect in the pockets on front, but I digress, those packages could be used to carry anything from weapons to letters to bombs, maybe the police have precedence to shoot at the folk running these items around?

FelixG:

Ye gods, I just realized that Evil Genius and Ghost Master are about a decade old already >.>

Vegosiux:

FelixG:

Ye gods, I just realized that Evil Genius and Ghost Master are about a decade old already >.>

Evil Genius was a BRILLIANT game! (no pun intended ~.^) andyeah, kind of hits you when you think about those games how long ago it really was.

FelixG:

Cry Wolf:

FelixG:

Hm I dont seem to recall them ever explaining WHAT was being run around in those messenger bags but they seem a little too big to be a letter or two ~.^

I have one of those bags and I can carry... a substantial amount of violent gear in there! I personally use my messenger bag for a gun tote when I travel, it fits my pistols well and lets me carry cleaning gear ammo ect in the pockets on front, but I digress, those packages could be used to carry anything from weapons to letters to bombs, maybe the police have precedence to shoot at the folk running these items around?

I believe they do explain at some point, but it's been a few years since I've player Mirror's Edge - and I think you find other messenger's bags arround that give you snippets of information rather than, you know, bombs. I also think it's reasonable to assume that she carries more than just her deliveries in that bag - seeing as she doesn't seem to stick around in one place too long. =P

Well I'm not shocked, after all - evil always finds a way... :)
If it means burning elven hippy villages down or enslaving holiday camps - I'm all for it. Especially if it means more Gnarl.

FelixG:

Vegosiux:

FelixG:

Evil Genius was a BRILLIANT game! (no pun intended ~.^) andyeah, kind of hits you when you think about those games how long ago it really was.

The most memorable thing about EG is still that bug where if you made too much cash on the first island, it would break the second, so my master plan to abuse the time before you start gaining heat yet can still send minions out to steal by leaving the game running overnight was foiled!

And abusing topside shacks with level 3 clearance doors to distract agents seemed a little cheezy now and then.

But all in all, I agree, a great game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here