Rayman Legends Goes Multiplatform

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft's follow-up to Rayman Origins has been delayed once again, this time until fall 2013.

Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends is no longer, um, exclusive. Ubisoft's sequel to Rayman Origins, which was announced for the Wii U during Ubisoft's E3 2012 press conference, was originally supposed to launch alongside the new console. It was delayed a few weeks before the Wii U's launch and pushed to February 2013, which is, according to my sources, the month we are in right now. That means the wait is almost over, right? Well, no, because the Wii U version of Rayman Legends has been delayed until September, when it will also launch for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

In a press release, EMEA Chief Marketing and Sales Officer Geoffrey Sardin cited fan demand as the reason for the multiplatform switch. "We heard from many Xbox and Playstation owners and Rayman fans who told us they really wanted to play Rayman Legends on their current system," he said, adding that Ubisoft wanted to give fans what they wanted while "broadening the audience" for Legends.

For Xbox 360 and PS3 owners, this is probably good news, though it's unfortunate for early Wii U adopters. Seeing the former exclusive go multiplatform isn't nearly as big a blow as having to wait another six months to get it. By the time it launches, Rayman Legends will have been pushed back almost a year from its original date. Hopefully that's the end of delays for the limbless hero, and Legends will hit the non-specific "early September" release noted in Ubisoft's press release.

I... I see... Excuse me a moment, I think I have to change my pants.

Ah, someone at Ubisoft has realised that exlusives arent the way to rebiulding a platforming franchise.

They may well go far in this industry.

awwwww no pc release? I preordered rayman origins on steam (great game). Here's hoping they change their mind eventually.

On one hand, I'm glad the game is coming to a console I actually own. On the other hand, there goes one of my reasons to get a Wii U.

um...pc version too please? D:

gigastar:
Ah, someone at Ubisoft has realised that exlusives arent the way to rebiulding a platforming franchise.

You do realise that if it were to become the norm for all consoles to no longer have exclusives then there would be more drama and chaos coming from the console and PC crowd over who's got the best graphics, peripherals right?.

I mean I'm still getting a Wii U and this game but let's face it when something like this happens a large ugly crowd of the opposite platform is going to come shit on something like the Wii U.

Even when they haven't bought and played the damn thing and given it a proper chance and try.

Apart from that I don't mind this at all but something bad will come from it I can tell you that.

I'm really disappointed in Ubisoft for doing this. I have no problem with the game going multiplatform, as I expected that anyhow, but delaying the release of a highly anticipated exclusive near the end of Nintendo's fiscal year is nothing short of a jerk move. If the game was already finished, they could have released it for the Wii U this month as planned.

Ubisoft probably lost a few friends they had working at Nintendo.

They changed their mind even before the game's release.
I hope this is an early sign that we see even more multi-platform titles in the next gen.

"We heard from many Xbox and Playstation owners and Rayman fans who told us they really wanted to play Rayman Legends on their current system," he said, adding that Ubisoft wanted to give fans what they wanted while "broadening the audience" for Legends.

Sounds like a win/win for Ubisoft.
Give fans what they want and make money doing it, a strange concept to some developers.

Shadow-Phoenix:

gigastar:

You do realise that if it were to become the norm for all consoles to no longer have exclusives then there would be more drama and chaos coming from the console and PC crowd over who's got the best graphics, peripherals right?.

I mean I'm still getting a Wii U and this game but let's face it when something like this happens a large ugly crowd of the opposite platform is going to come shit on something like the Wii U.

Even when they haven't bought and played the damn thing and given it a proper chance and try.

Apart from that I don't mind this at all but something bad will come from it I can tell you that.

As long as Nintendo keeps making games, their systems will always have exclusives. You won't ever find a Zelda game on a system created by Sony or Microsoft. Personally I'll be buying a Wii U regardless, because of the Xeno game and the Fire Emblem/ Shin Megami Tensei cross-over.

I can't say I'm surprised in the slightest. I'm glad actually. I loved Origins.
I have even less want for a Wii U now though

Thank god. I really wanted this, I'm still extremely sceptical about the Wii U.

Hey guys, Vita version? How about Cross-Controller like the Wii U does, LBP2 has it so having it on here would be awesome too. Hell, even use SmartGlass on the 360 version as well.

As happy as I am that I can play it, I am more sad, because I want Nintendo to succeed as much as possible, and this was one of their flagship exclusives.

Megacherv:
Hey guys, Vita version? How about Cross-Controller like the Wii U does, LBP2 has it so having it on here would be awesome too. Hell, even use SmartGlass on the 360 version as well.

Yeah I really hope for a Vita version as well. Rayman Origins not only played great on the Vita but the graphics really shined on the platform.

Sarah LeBoeuf:

Ubisoft's follow-up to Rayman Origins has been delayed once again, this time until fall 2013.

Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends is no longer, um, exclusive. Ubisoft's sequel to Rayman Origins, which was announced for the Wii U during Ubisoft's E3 2012 press conference, was originally supposed to launch alongside the new console. It was delayed a few weeks before the Wii U's launch and pushed to February 2013, which is, according to my sources, the month we are in right now. That means the wait is almost over, right? Well, no, because the Wii U version of Rayman Legends has been delayed until September, when it will also launch for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

In a press release, EMEA Chief Marketing and Sales Officer Geoffrey Sardin cited fan demand as the reason for the multiplatform switch. "We heard from many Xbox and Playstation owners and Rayman fans who told us they really wanted to play Rayman Legends on their current system," he said, adding that Ubisoft wanted to give fans what they wanted while "broadening the audience" for Legends.

For Xbox 360 and PS3 owners, this is probably good news, though it's unfortunate for early Wii U adopters. Seeing the former exclusive go multiplatform isn't nearly as big a blow as having to wait another six months to get it. By the time it launches, Rayman Legends will have been pushed back almost a year from its original date. Hopefully that's the end of delays for the limbless hero, and Legends will hit the non-specific "early September" release noted in Ubisoft's press release.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! The game is ready to go and ship, at least for the Wii U, but now I have to wait for it to be ported over to the PS3 and 360? DAMNIT!

This was the one game I was really looking forward to in Q3. While I am glad that I can now spend money on something else that I also wanted, it still pisses me off. Damnit.

EDIT: If they don't add a few more levels/polish and more content after six months, I am sooooooo going to be pissed -_-

Well, thank fuck for that! I love Rayman but I can't afford a Wii-U.

This can only be good: We get a game without forking over so much money and now Nintendo actually have to start being creative about how they sell the Wii-U. Maybe they can make NEW games that are exclusive to their console. Or offer a service that the others don't provide.

As for PC, It'd be weird if it wasn't on there. It was probably just not mentioned in the press release because they forgot. As much as I think you guys can be (CAN BE) total snobs, you do get a lot of shit like people forgetting to mention ya. It'll be on PC.

Well what did you expect? It IS a platformer.

You know what? I'm happy PS3 and 360 owners are going to get to play this game. Origins was a fantastic game, and if the sequel is as good, then Michel Ancel and his team deserve to have as many people play it as possible.

What is a supreme, mother-of-all dick moves, however, is pushing back the release of a game that is already to go. This thing was due to be released in 20 days. They should have the fucking discs printed at this point! If they want to bring it to 360 and PS3, then woo-fucking-hoo, but why purposefully hold back the release of the version that's already to go? Surely the best way to get PS3 and 360 players hyped for the game is to release it, and let Wii U owners start announcing how fucking awesome it is?

The only reason I can think is that Ubisoft doesn't want to pay to market this game twice. Which, considering how little they marketed Origins and how little they're currently marketing Legends now, would make sense. The original game died at retail because of how little marketing it got.

And here's the other major problem I have: Legends was supposed to release in a period where there's not a lot else out, thereby hopefully drawing more attention to it. They've now pushed its release to September, which is officially the beginning of the silly season. Seriously Ubisoft, remember what happened when you released Origins alongside the likes of AssCreed and COD? It fucking tanked. It sold something like 5000 copies in its first few weeks. Why are you diong this again? If you release Legends in September, you're releasing it at the time when gamers will be getting excited about the next COD, the next AssCreed, and whatever other heavyweights the big publishers are bringing out to try and get ahead of the Christmas rush. September is the beginning of the single most crowded, do-or-die period in the gaming calendar, a period that already nearly killed the original Rayman Origins.

PS3 and 360 gamers, you're going to get a great game, and I hope you all enjoy the fuck out of it. Ubisoft, stop trying to fucking kill Rayman! Spend some marketing money on it, don't release it at a time when attention is going to be on all the industry big-hitters, and when you're holding onto a nigh-finished game, fucking well release it. I've pulled girls, gone back to their flats then been completely cock-blocked with more notice than this.

EDIT

GTA V IS COMING OUT IN SEPTEMBER?!?! Ubisoft, are you fucking nuts!? You're purposefully holding back Rayman so that you can send it out at the same time as the biggest non-COD sequel coming out this year? What is fucking wrong with you? All the months you could have chosen, and you choose the one where the world's biggest non-COD title is also coming out?

If you don't port it to PC, you are scum of the earth Ubisoft.

scorptatious:
On one hand, I'm glad the game is coming to a console I actually own. On the other hand, there goes one of my reasons to get a Wii U.

Indeed... Pikmin 3 is about the only reason I have to get it now.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
You know what? I'm happy PS3 and 360 owners are going to get to play this game. Origins was a fantastic game, and if the sequel is as good, then Michel Ancel and his team deserve to have as many people play it as possible.

What is a supreme, mother-of-all dick moves, however, is pushing back the release of a game that is already to go. This thing was due to be released in 20 days. They should have the fucking discs printed at this point! If they want to bring it to 360 and PS3, then woo-fucking-hoo, but why purposefully hold back the release of the version that's already to go? Surely the best way to get PS3 and 360 players hyped for the game is to release it, and let Wii U owners start announcing how fucking awesome it is?

This is a good point, the game will advertise itself the second time round.

They need to delay it on one console to release it on the others?

Shadow-Phoenix:

gigastar:

No, if there were no more exclusives then there would be no reasons for buying Console X over Console Y to be found in the games they offer.

Reasons instead would be "Am i willing to fork out to play online with Console X?" and "How many friends do i have with Console Y?"

And i meant no slight agains the WiiU, im getting one myself just for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but Rayman has only made a comeback little over a year ago after being smothered by those rabbit things that originally took over the franchise so restricting it to one system so soon is not a good thing.

Actually its that kind of platform jumping that put the death sentence on many Japanese game franchises.

gigastar:
snip

Thank the allspark I thought you were going to be one of those that thought if there were no exclusives then everyone would be forced to play PC or die kind of people.

Now the How many friends do I have on X compared to Y is more fair.

gigastar:

Shadow-Phoenix:

gigastar:

No, if there were no more exclusives then there would be no reasons for buying Console X over Console Y to be found in the games they offer.

Reasons instead would be "Am i willing to fork out to play online with Console X?" and "How many friends do i have with Console Y?"

And i meant no slight agains the WiiU, im getting one myself just for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but Rayman has only made a comeback little over a year ago after being smothered by those rabbit things that originally took over the franchise so restricting it to one system so soon is not a good thing.

Actually its that kind of platform jumping that put the death sentence on many Japanese game franchises.

Thats true and I can get behind that a lot. I'll probably sitll pick it up on Wii U, but if it had come in March I was gonna pre-order it, but the seven month delay is gonna push it to right before my wallet is likely to get it's ass kicked and as a result I'll likely only be picking it up used a year or so after it comes out.

Not least because it'll b e competing not just with the yearly AAA guff that I'll inevitably spend some money on, but Nintendo's core first party titles will be hitting around then.

Shadow-Phoenix:

gigastar:
snip

Thank the allspark I thought you were going to be one of those that thought if there were no exclusives then everyone would be forced to play PC or die kind of people.

Now the How many friends do I have on X compared to Y is more fair.

Never assume, when you do you make an ass out of u and me.

I honestly wish I had a few more friends on Wii U but I already know 3 or 4 people from The Escapist who I'll count among my friends on the Miiverse when certain titles hit and I'll likely be picking up Monster Hunter U and probably the next COD IW puts out on the Wii U.

Also, I wish the capcha would stop trying to make me watch anything put out by Channel 4.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

The only reason I can think is that Ubisoft doesn't want to pay to market this game twice. Which, considering how little they marketed Origins and how little they're currently marketing Legends now, would make sense. The original game died at retail because of how little marketing it got.

And here's the other major problem I have: Legends was supposed to release in a period where there's not a lot else out, thereby hopefully drawing more attention to it. They've now pushed its release to September, which is officially the beginning of the silly season. Seriously Ubisoft, remember what happened when you released Origins alongside the likes of AssCreed and COD? It fucking tanked. It sold something like 5000 copies in its first few weeks. Why are you diong this again? If you release Legends in September, you're releasing it at the time when gamers will be getting excited about the next COD, the next AssCreed, and whatever other heavyweights the big publishers are bringing out to try and get ahead of the Christmas rush. September is the beginning of the single most crowded, do-or-die period in the gaming calendar, a period that already nearly killed the original Rayman Origins.

PS3 and 360 gamers, you're going to get a great game, and I hope you all enjoy the fuck out of it. Ubisoft, stop trying to fucking kill Rayman! Spend some marketing money on it, don't release it at a time when attention is going to be on all the industry big-hitters, and when you're holding onto a nigh-finished game, fucking well release it. I've pulled girls, gone back to their flats then been completely cock-blocked with more notice than this.

EDIT

GTA V IS COMING OUT IN SEPTEMBER?!?! Ubisoft, are you fucking nuts!? You're purposefully holding back Rayman so that you can send it out at the same time as the biggest non-COD sequel coming out this year? What is fucking wrong with you? All the months you could have chosen, and you choose the one where the world's biggest non-COD title is also coming out?

You deserve a bunch of cookies. Well said.

i suppose it's a positive thing that ubisoft keeps bailing out of agreements with nintendo, at least this time

frankly i don't trust them any farther than i have to now, and frankly i don't want to have anything to do with them or origin until they show some sort of effing solidarity on their part

Blast. Was all set to get this next month. Now instead it'll come out at a time of year in which I'll probably forget it ever existed.

YES!!!... uh... I can has PC version?... please?...

Kazedarkwind:
um...pc version too please? D:

I'm certain that the pc versio will come, 3 months after its out everwhere else such is the Ubisoft way.

I'll just repost what I said in another thread...

I also don't mind it being multiplatform. One of the guys said that the WiiU version has exclusive content, and it was being made for that system from the start, so the WiiU version is by all means the definitive version, so I don't feel that ripped-off. Plus, it means more people get to play it which could mean more sales.

But yeah, overall this move pisses me off. They're delaying the game for more than half a year for a pair of ports that are (by their own admission) inferior versions. Not even a timed exclusive. Just a 90%-ish finished game sitting there for 7 months. Maybe they'll add some levels and stuff. Who knows.

And they're sending ol' Rayman off to die. Again. It's a pretty safe assumption that most of the PS3/360 crowd they're doing this for will take GTAV over Rayman.

However, I'm going to be a little more optimistic about this: in that time, the WiiU user-base will expand so more copies of that will be sold, and the fact is with over 10 million users for both PS3 and 360, they'll likely pick up sales. Probably.

But the thing is will it be enough gained sales? Plus, some other big titles might come along in September. February was probably the best chance Legends had to be in the spotlight.

And while it doesn't bother me that much, it's just a dick move on Ubisoft's part in general. To say they stabbed Nintendo and WiiU buyers in the back would be an understatement. Again, I'm not that bothered, that's how the industry goes sometimes. But it's still a dick move.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

That was my first thought: Dick move, it also lead me to cancel my pre-order for the game on principal of gigantic dick move.

Especially since it was meant to LAUNCH with the Wii U. In November. And has since been delayed thrice. And now again.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Realised that about 20 minutes later and thought "are you fucking INSANE". I bet it releases the same week as GTA 5 too. GTA 5 is also probably the only game with a hope in hell of beating out COD in raw sales.

It's pushed Rayman Legends into that period of the year where I have a huge pile of other stuff I want to buy or that will eclipse it in marketing; it's going on sale against GTA5 and in the aftermath of GTA5 there is: main series pokemon games, wind waker hd, potentially a few first party nintendo titles, potentially new consoles, COD 9, Battlefield 4, the annual slur of sports titles like Madden and Fifa, and likely a bunch other stuff thats got that vague "Q4" release thing going on.

Hell Ubisofts own Assassins Creed title for the year could be out then (not buying, sick of it, sick of watered down faffing about and complete lack of testing.)

Retail suicide and we won't be seeing Rayman again for a long time.

SkarKrow:

That was my first thought: Dick move, it also lead me to cancel my pre-order for the game on principal of gigantic dick move.

I'm still going to pick it up. As much as I hate Ubisoft right now, Michel Ancel and his team are too fucking good at what they do to not deserve my money. If gamers don't buy it, then Ubisoft will just assume there's no money to be made in any more proper Rayman games, and back to Rabbids we go.

That, and they've said time and again that the development of Beyond Good And Evil 2 depends on how well the Rayman games do. Fucking dicks...

Realised that about 20 minutes later and thought "are you fucking INSANE". I bet it releases the same week as GTA 5 too. GTA 5 is also probably the only game with a hope in hell of beating out COD in raw sales.

It's pushed Rayman Legends into that period of the year where I have a huge pile of other stuff I want to buy or that will eclipse it in marketing; it's going on sale against GTA5 and in the aftermath of GTA5 there is: main series pokemon games, wind waker hd, potentially a few first party nintendo titles, potentially new consoles, COD 9, Battlefield 4, the annual slur of sports titles like Madden and Fifa, and likely a bunch other stuff thats got that vague "Q4" release thing going on.

Holy hell! I'd completely forgotten about Pokemon! Whatever hype space is left after GTA V is going to be completely dominated by that. And all the hype for the latest COD/AC/FIFA.... fuck, that's a stupid amount of titles to go up against.

Ubisoft, why must you be so stupid?! You have no reason to force Rayman up against these games like this! You already have the Wii U version. Get it out there, and get gamers reacting positively to it. Good word of mouth can do wonders for a game like this. If Wii U gamers love the game, then that'll only get PS360 gamers more excited for when their version comes out.

I can't go through this again. I already thought any chances of a new Rayman game were done for when Origins originally tanked. To hear that Legends was in development brought me joy I'd never hoped for. I can't bear the thought of seeing this series potentially get canned once more.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Holy hell! I'd completely forgotten about Pokemon! Whatever hype space is left after GTA V is going to be completely dominated by that.

Do not forget that zelda windwaker HD is also slated around that time(although that might hit x-mas).

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

SkarKrow:

I'm still going to pick it up. As much as I hate Ubisoft right now, Michel Ancel and his team are too fucking good at what they do to not deserve my money. If gamers don't buy it, then Ubisoft will just assume there's no money to be made in any more proper Rayman games, and back to Rabbids we go.

That, and they've said time and again that the development of Beyond Good And Evil 2 depends on how well the Rayman games do. Fucking dicks...

Holy hell! I'd completely forgotten about Pokemon! Whatever hype space is left after GTA V is going to be completely dominated by that. And all the hype for the latest COD/AC/FIFA.... fuck, that's a stupid amount of titles to go up against.

Ubisoft, why must you be so stupid?! You have no reason to force Rayman up against these games like this! You already have the Wii U version. Get it out there, and get gamers reacting positively to it. Good word of mouth can do wonders for a game like this. If Wii U gamers love the game, then that'll only get PS360 gamers more excited for when their version comes out.

I can't go through this again. I already thought any chances of a new Rayman game were done for when Origins originally tanked. To hear that Legends was in development brought me joy I'd never hoped for. I can't bear the thought of seeing this series potentially get canned once more.

Dude not just any pokemon. A brand new pokemon generation. With a huge overhaul to the visuals and out of battle gameplay, on a new format, with tonnes of new shit. I really want fucking news on the new pokemon! Pokemon hypes it's damn self!

Rayman Legends is pretty much going out to die, and I can now say contently that I'm not giving Ubisoft a fucking penny of my money until it pulls it's head from it's arse and realises it can't compete with GTA, COD, FIFA and Pokemon, as well as things like Zelda, it's going up against sales juggernauts and it just won't happen.

It's sad because I used to love Rayman as a kid and Beyond Good & Evil doesn't deserve to die because of a publishers stupidity.

I'm a bit calmer now and I did make sure to have cooled off before I entered this thread, because I was already pissed off that Nintendo Europe delayed Scribblenauts (probably for censorship under some bullshit german purity law). What's next for my Wii U? Monster Hunter back to december? Lego City pushed back a year?

Nintendo better bring some thunder to E3 at this rate. I'm talking 3D Mario, Zelda U, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, a new damn Wario platformer.

Grr. Grumpy. _

Also when the hell is Aliens: CM out on Wii U?
It's just sad.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or