Rayman Legends Goes Multiplatform

Pages PREV 1 2

D Moness:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Holy hell! I'd completely forgotten about Pokemon! Whatever hype space is left after GTA V is going to be completely dominated by that.

Do not forget that zelda windwaker HD is also slated around that time(although that might hit x-mas).

Dude that just leaves no time for Rayman Legends though. It;s facing heavy hitting competition in every month up until Xmas.

God help ti there could be Halo 5 or a new Resistance or Killzone to deal with too.

Edit: Or Sucker Punch's new IP could very well be out in the fall-xmas season of releases.

SkarKrow:

Nintendo better bring some thunder to E3 at this rate. I'm talking 3D Mario, Zelda U, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, a new damn Wario platformer.

Grr. Grumpy. _

Also when the hell is Aliens: CM out on Wii U?
It's just sad.

For what it's worth, I think Iwata promised 3D Mario and Smash Bros for E3, amongst other as yet unrelated things. There will be thunder, of that I have no doubt.

I'm not worried for the Wii U at all. Once Nintendo gets its own franchises out there, it'll do just fine. I'm worried that Ubisoft is going to murder one of its best game series in years, for no reason other than stupidity.

WHOOO! YEAH!

See, I loved Rayman Origins and I must admit even though I don't like the WiiU, I loved the Rayman Legends demo. So yeah, I'm getting this.

This was a good day. :D

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

SkarKrow:

Nintendo better bring some thunder to E3 at this rate. I'm talking 3D Mario, Zelda U, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, a new damn Wario platformer.

Grr. Grumpy. _

Also when the hell is Aliens: CM out on Wii U?
It's just sad.

For what it's worth, I think Iwata promised 3D Mario and Smash Bros for E3, amongst other as yet unrelated things. There will be thunder, of that I have no doubt.

I'm not worried for the Wii U at all. Once Nintendo gets its own franchises out there, it'll do just fine. I'm worried that Ubisoft is going to murder one of its best game series in years, for no reason other than stupidity.

Yeah I'll be happy when a 3D Mario and Smash Bros hit the problem is that they'll be early 2014 releases, just really sucks to be seeing so many releases pushed back and back and back. I'm just hoping Pikmin 3 doesn't get delayed again (though I'll accept a Miyamoto delay, as I said it's to turn classics into masterpieces), and that lego city and monster hunter are enough to whet my appetite for a while. There are supposedly some new IP's coming from Nintendo too which is nice. I'd love to see a new Wario platformer though, like Wario Land 4 on the GBA, not like the shake dimension on Wii (it's not bad but... meh)

Got Sly 4 coming next month (why is out 2 months later in the UK when it's already in friggin English?) and Luigi's Mansion 2 to give me games to play, and a backlog to burn through and maybe Dead Space 3 if I can get through the first this next few days and the second isn't awful.

Edit: I just reaised that in the last month I've posted more than 700 times. Fuck me unemployment is boring I could well become the next daystar clarion only more SUUUUPER~!

So Ubisoft's answer to wanting more sales is to sell the game at a time where the most anticipated game of this decade so far (GTA V), some of Nintendo's heavy hitters and a ton more games are coming out. The main reason Origins didn't do well was because they released it in competition with CoD and other big-hitters, February is always a barren month for games and it would be a perfect time to release something like Legends. Why couldn't they just release it on Wii U like they were going to and make the ports later? I don't even fucking care that it's multiplatform, but delaying it 7 FUCKING MONTHS because of port work when it's already done is just a shitty move by Ubisoft. Like other people have said it's literally retail suicide for a few extra sales.

Uhh, wait a moment. Why can't Ubisoft release the WiiU version now if it's completed and ready to go, and release the 360/PS3 port in September? Why should the WiiU version be delayed if the remaining work is for the other consoles?

Eclipse Dragon:
Fire Emblem/ Shin Megami Tensei cross-over

*makes suggestive noises*

Nneeeueuuugh be careful where you type that out loud. Someone's bound to press sexual harassment charges.

Scribblesense:
I'm really disappointed in Ubisoft for doing this. I have no problem with the game going multiplatform, as I expected that anyhow, but delaying the release of a highly anticipated exclusive near the end of Nintendo's fiscal year is nothing short of a jerk move. If the game was already finished, they could have released it for the Wii U this month as planned.

Ubisoft probably lost a few friends they had working at Nintendo.

And then owners of other consoles would moan that they have to wait longer for their console's version to be released.

It would be a bigger dick move to release the Wii U version months earlier. Also, it could hinder sales. By the time the other versions are released, several months later, the hype and buzz of the game would've likely dwindled.

Terramax:

It would be a bigger dick move to release the Wii U version months earlier. Also, it could hinder sales. By the time the other versions are released, several months later, the hype and buzz of the game would've likely dwindled.

It would be a bigger dick move to not withhold a finished game for 7 months while they make two games that don't exist and that no one was expecting anyway? ...I cannot even fathom your logic. As for the sales thing, right now is their only shot. Releasing your game at the same time of GTAV is a death sentence. Everyone else in this thread agrees, and I am sure every single person working in the industry would back them. By the time the game comes out, they now aren't even guaranteed wiiU sales, because there will even be more competition from Nintendo themselves by that point. The wiiU is a new console right now in desperate need of content. People who bought one are looking for anything they can grab and most aren't being picky as they try to make sure their $300 was well spent. This game just committed suicide, and knowing Ubisoft they will use the poor sales as an excuse to shut down the franchise. This is a big loss for everyone.

xPixelatedx:

Terramax:

It would be a bigger dick move to not withhold a finished game for 7 months while they make two games that don't exist and that no one was expecting anyway? ...I cannot even fathom your logic. As for the sales thing, right now is their only shot. Releasing your game at the same time of GTAV is a death sentence. Everyone else in this thread agrees, and I am sure every single person working in the industry would back them. By the time the game comes out, they now aren't even guaranteed wiiU sales, because there will even be more competition from Nintendo themselves by that point. This game just committed suicide, and knowing Ubisoft they will use the poor sales as an excuse to shut down the franchise. This is a big loss for everyone.

The logic is that, you may recall, they announced the other versions due to Xbox and PS3 owners REQUESTING a version, people whom don't own the Wii U, don't plan on owning one, and who bought Rayman Origins WANTING a copy. And Ubisoft complied. What part of that logic can you not fathom?

Regarding being released at the same time as GTA, are you saying that no-one buys more than one game at that same month? I'm not arguing it won't affect their sales to some degree, but to say it's killing a franchise is a little harsh.

This is ESPECIALLY the case considering the game is being released for 2 other systems, both of which have a larger consumer base. I like to think this more than compensates for releasing on a console which few people own at this current moment in time.

So let me ask you this. What would make more money:

A.) release the game now, on a console that only about 3-4 million people own, or
B.) release it on the 360 and PS3, each of which have about 70-80 million owners EACH, and at a time where there are more Wii U owners?

Can you fathom this logic?

SkarKrow:
Snip

and

xPixelatedx:
Snip

Why wouldn't they delay the release?
You see, the problem is the Wii U isn't a large enough fanbase to save the frachise on it's own, especially with it's sales. While good, they're NOWHERE close to the current install base on the other two systems. Delaying the Wii U version is a smart business move for three reasons.
1) The other two systems have a much larger install base. This means they are much more likely to bring greater sales figures than the relatively new Wii U system. By Delaying the release, it allows for the chance of more people buying a Wii U, resulting in more potential sales than what would most likely happen if they released it now.

2) It will cost Ubisoft less in advertising if they do not have to run two different sets of ads for the different releases, and less in shipping if they don't have to do one mass shipping plus subsequent restocks of just Wii U version and then do it again for the next release. Instead they'll be able to send all three at the same time in lower quantities of each system's version due to the choices.

3) Ubisoft doesn't really have any hyped games announced that they'll be releasing this fall, so this gives them a fall release. Also, releasing in this new zone gives Ubisoft a more telling result about whether the franchise is viable for development by seeing if the sales are because people like the franchise because most games that release in the early stages of the year, while having less competition, usually do not have incredibly great sales. By releasing during the period where video games ales are generally much higher, they will be able to get an accurate description of the franchises demand. You have to realize that as a corporation, they have to please the stockholders worried about a profit. If the sales show gamers are not willing to forgo other game choices to instead buy this game, then they will realize it is not a powerful franchise that is worth investing in, like Assassins Creed is to them.

Capitano Segnaposto:

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! The game is ready to go and ship, at least for the Wii U, but now I have to wait for it to be ported over to the PS3 and 360? DAMNIT!

This was the one game I was really looking forward to in Q3. While I am glad that I can now spend money on something else that I also wanted, it still pisses me off. Damnit.

EDIT: If they don't add a few more levels/polish and more content after six months, I am sooooooo going to be pissed -_-

^ This, but with possibly less caps.

And to think I thought I might be able to brush of my Wii U's newly forming cobwebs xP.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here