Next Assassin's Creed Coming Fiscal 2014 With New Hero

Next Assassin's Creed Coming Fiscal 2014 With New Hero

Gamers have purchased more than 12 million copies of Assassin's Creed III since its October 2012 launch.

Assassin's Creed III has only been on the market for just over three months, but Ubisoft is already planning the release of the next game in the series. On the publisher's quarterly financial earnings call, CEO Yves Guillemot stated that a new Assassin's Creed game is coming in the 2014 fiscal year. However, ACIII's resident assassin Connor won't be the protagonist, and it won't take place in colonial America; the next Assassin's Creed will feature a brand new hero and take place during a different time period.

According to Guillemot, Ubisoft expects "it to be another major leap forward for the franchise," calling it "the benefit of multiple teams working on multiple chapters of the project, each getting several years to make their versions of an Assassin's Creed game."

The shift in timeline and character doesn't indicate that Connor's first outing wasn't a success, though. In a press release detailing its third quarter 2012-2013 sales, Ubisoft revealed that it has sold over 12 million copies of Assassin's Creed III. This marks a 70% increase in sales over 2011's Assassin's Creed Revelations, which completed Ezio Auditore's saga.

Ubisoft is currently in the fourth quarter of the 2012-2013 fiscal year. "Fiscal 2014" is a pretty vague release window, and no other details about the next Assassin's Creed were revealed today. Guillemot promised that we would hear more "very soon."

Source: Polygon

Gonna be a Wii-U release Ubisoft? Or do you think us dumb slob gamers still wont "get it" when it comes to the Wii-U by then?

Game is going to be set in pre-WWI France. I'm calling it now.

Sylveria:
Gonna be a Wii-U release Ubisoft? Or do you think us dumb slob gamers still wont "get it" when it comes to the Wii-U by then?

Game is going to be set in pre-WWI France. I'm calling it now.

Only if we get to fuck Mata Hari.

Lying motherfuckers! Didn't they say they weren't going to do the yearly release bullshit anymore after III? I guess understanding that yearly releases wear out the brand was expecting too much of Ubisoft.

DESMOND IS PERMANENTLY DEAD!!!

HALLELUJAH THERE IS A GOD AFTER ALL!!!

I'm just joking. No merciful god would ever have subjected us to Desmond for three fucking games in the first place. I am happy he is dead and I hope he rots away in cyberspace for the rest of eternity floating between a half conscious state so he can at least suffer pain for having us suffer through his story.

2 HOURS of cut-scenes, Desmond cutscenes. TWO HOURS! Most bad movies are more merciful than to subject us to two hours of horrible Desmond cutscenes.

Please go to some place interesting this time. Fucking Boston and New York sucked balls and looked exactly alike. Go to Paris during the Napoleonic Wars, TONS of Naval battles we could join in. We could even go to fucking Egypt during Napoleons Egypt years one of the oldest civilizations around.

Why not give yourself some french loving Ubisoft? Go with Napoleon, fucking Cairo, Paris, Vienna, ancient cities and civilizations galore.

If it's another pre-industrial America tale you can just count me out.

I still have to play III, need to find my cousin so I can borrow it, along with some other games.

I have heard lots of hate for this game, but honestly, I am still excited to play it.

Aww, I kinda liked Connor. Seriously, I just got over my AssCreed burnout and now you guys are already announcing another (yearly) sequel.

Welcome to the new Call of Duty, people!

I got tired with Ass Creed by Revelations and I have no plans to play AC3. The story got needless stretched by Ubisoft's desire to string out Ezio across 3 games and Revelations was a complete waste of my time and money.

Stick with Far Cry 3, as far as Ubisoft games go there's far more value there.

Sarah LeBoeuf:
"it to be another major leap forward for the franchise,"

I see what you did there.

OT: PLEASE BE SET IN ASIA

PLEASE.

TizzytheTormentor:
I still have to play III, need to find my cousin so I can borrow it, along with some other games.

I have heard lots of hate for this game, but honestly, I am still excited to play it.

It gets boring after the mid-way point, otherwise, the Frontier is awesome, also running and the combat system have both improved; running feels more natural and combat can feel quite satisfying.

One could not begin to describe how much i want the next game to be in Feudal Japan.

1337mokro:
I'm just joking. No merciful god would ever have subjected us to Desmond for three fucking games in the first place.

It was 5 games...

Must have been a vengeful god.

Akichi Daikashima:

Sarah LeBoeuf:

PLEASE.

i laugh if it ends up in australia

Eh, the next Assassin's Creed is going to need to be pretty spectacular for me to be interested in it. Trying to do a yearly release hasn't really been good for the quality.

If it's World War 1 or 2, I'll be mad. They already messed up a time period choice before (seriously, American Independence was a stupid idea and one that felt alienating to me as a non-America), please not again. Please.

gigastar:
One could not begin to describe how much i want the next game to be in Feudal Japan.

And I can not simply express in a neutral manner of how that would be another bad idea.

AC3 was pretty good, but the series has so much extra crap piled on it now that it's lost its core, assassinating people. Hope the next one goes back to that. And doesn't have so many fucking insta-fail missions.

weirdguy:

Akichi Daikashima:

Sarah LeBoeuf:

PLEASE.

i laugh if it ends up in australia

If it does, it should be required by law that you play as Saxton Hale.

gigastar:

1337mokro:
I'm just joking. No merciful god would ever have subjected us to Desmond for three fucking games in the first place.

It was 5 games...

Must have been a vengeful god.

It was 3 that followed Desmond, the rest never required you to interact with Desmond directly. Or I repressed any memory of having to do that because those 2 games were quite bad. Both equally likely possibilities.

Mcoffey:
snip

FFP2:
snip

Just wanted to point out, fiscal 2014 means September 2013 - October 2014. So while it could be released in 2013 and be a yearly sequel, it's far more likely to come out in 2014. So you're kind of jumping the gun here with that "yearly" assumption.

Japan or China or FUCK OFF UBISOFT!

No more Connor?
Good he made Desmond look interesting!

Someone let this game franchise die off, and Ubisoft with it. If I see one more bad PC port from them, I'm going to invest in some UN-banned torture methods for these cunts who can't tell the different components of a computer from different flavours of donuts.

Why not Britain Ubisoft?.

Oh jeez this franchise really is starting to turn and churn into Call of Duty now.

I remember when it took a couple of years for a new game/expansion to come out and now it takes far less which can be both a good thing to some and bad to others.

Next thing you know in the future they'll make new instalments every month to make sure your attention span doesn't die.

1337mokro:

Please go to some place interesting this time. Fucking Boston and New York sucked balls and looked exactly alike. Go to Paris during the Napoleonic Wars, TONS of Naval battles we could join in. We could even go to fucking Egypt during Napoleons Egypt years one of the oldest civilizations around.

Make your character a british spy infiltrating the french military and I'll be interested....

OT: Nope. Fuck off Ubisoft, unless you can make it tight, focused and don't hold it together with tissue paper and string like fucking 3 you can piss up a rope for all I care.

More stabbing, less arsing about.

Irridium:
AC3 was pretty good, but the series has so much extra crap piled on it now that it's lost its core, assassinating people. Hope the next one goes back to that. And doesn't have so many fucking insta-fail missions.

Nobody could have played those god awful chase missions in 3, pre-patch and thought "Yup, I see no potential for frustration at the game, and players won't essentially have to sequence break to beat the first one and then be entirely unable to do so in the second but instead we'll just make it really fucking hard to manage without being shot/shoved back and instantly failing for it"

Good job, Ubisoft. Yet another game in the same overused, disloyal franchise. What's it gonna be this time? A first person shooter?

Shadow-Phoenix:
Why not Britain Ubisoft?

Because they're French.

Proverbial Jon:
Welcome to the new Call of Duty, people!

I got tired with Ass Creed by Revelations and I have no plans to play AC3. The story got needless stretched by Ubisoft's desire to string out Ezio across 3 games and Revelations was a complete waste of my time and money.

Stick with Far Cry 3, as far as Ubisoft games go there's far more value there.

It's not the new call of duty at all. Call of Duty is at least a finished product most of the time. And hasn't lost sight of the main objective: guns and killing shit.

TizzytheTormentor:

Low expectations will make it a much more enjoyable experience. Especially if you like AC2 as much as I do.

Shadow-Phoenix:
Why not Britain Ubisoft?.

Oh jeez this franchise really is starting to turn and churn into Call of Duty now.

I remember when it took a couple of years for a new game/expansion to come out and now it takes far less which can be both a good thing to some and bad to others.

Next thing you know in the future they'll make new instalments every month to make sure your attention span doesn't die.

Your image is borked, heads up.

Not surprised one bit. It's kind of a tradition now. See, if they had done the whole 'new hero per sequel' thing from the beginning, maybe the whole series wouldn't feel so stale. But with BroHood and Revelations, they made it look as if Ezio is more important than any other Assassin ever, including Altair. I mean, we know AC2 sold well but that was a dumb move.

Don't get me wrong, I love AssCreed. But I still gotta play Brohood, Revelations AND 3 before I can play the next one. And I don't feel like rushing through them. So yeah.

Who else thinks that this might be a giant love-letter to Quantam Leap?

I can see the intro to Assassin's Creed IV now...

"Theorizing that one could time travel outside his own lifetime, Doctor Sam Beckett led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as ANIMUS. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Beckett, prematurely stepped into the Project Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own time was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al, the Project Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Beckett could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, putting things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next leap will be the leap home."

Spooky >.>

Played 2, Brotherhood and Revelations. Not sure if I'll buy 3, from what I've seen of it so far it seems like it might be a dissapointment. Hope they finally ditch the Animus plot and focus more on the characters and the Templar vs Assassin setting, and I hope this doesn't mean they're rushing another game out to milk more money from AC3.

Also I totally want to see the French Revolution somewhere. The whole thing just resonates with the series' main themes.

I enjoyed AC3 for the most part, but the ending was kinda shit; just a hasty "Oh, it's been like this for a while, now BEND OVER" kind of ending, which kinda soils the franchise for me... But let's see what the new installment has.

Good. Hopefully they won't be sucking Americas dick and stroking it's ego in the next installment. Go back to beautiful pre-industrial cities where guns aren't the norm.

FIscal year of who? french fiscal year (ubisoftHQ)? then its just 2014.
American fiscal year (which is what article seesm to suggest, as stupid as the system is its still popular), that may mean over a year still.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here