Ouya CEO Plans To Release New Console Every Year

Pages PREV 1 2

With the speed at which this technology progresses, I'm not surprised. People are kind of freaking out over nothing. As it runs android games, it's not like the games are going to progress by leaps and bounds every year. If you wait 2 or three generations to buy a new Ouya ($99 every 3 years, hardly a bank breaker for most), you won't really be cut off from new games. Most of them are shit. A lot of them require very little power. The ones that seem to require the most power are in fact nothing but microtransaction machines.

unabomberman:

SonOfVoorhees:
Releasing a new console every year.....guess they are using the apple business model. lol. From what i saw on wiki it has FF3 being released on it and maybe a SNES/N64 emulator and a load of other pointless shovel ware sounding games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ouya_software

The emulators alone are worth the price of admission. It is a massive selling point for people interested in all kinds of old software, for whatever reason, not just restricted to console emulators.

Unfortunately this brings up the issue of the ROMs. Unlike PCs where there is no control on the manufacturer side, consoles are closed systems and there's a degree of control that can (and for legal reasons, should) be utilized.

The problem is either they'll promise the ROMS are freely accessible making the emulators worthwhile but opening the company up to litigation or setting up a system to stop ROM access (feasible and the related system ROMs have not been updated in some time so it's unlikely they'll be modified to bypass said restrictions) which will avoid litigation but render the emulators useless. There's no way they can promise both, certainly not without authorization from Nintendo. Unlike the ones making the emulators who can put up a disclaimer to avoid legal issues, the company making the console does not have that luxury. Those emulators come out and there isn't likely to be an Ouya 2.

There was a lot about the Ouya that was making me uneasy. I wish this wasn't the case but this does not surprise me.

At the very least a let each console have a two year life span for the tech to advance enough to make it worthwhile to the customer base to actually want to upgrade. By doing an annual release you will quickly flood the market and sales will fall as the tech improvements will be too little to make the expense worth it. Apple is seeing this happen now with ios product line. Sales are off what they were projected to be and it is costing Apple billions. I really would hate to see a company who approached the public to get started only to turn its back on that same public when they scream that said company is proposing something dumb.

Triaed:
Yay, annual obsolescence!

90's Microsoft would be proud.

You just shot yourself in the foot Ouya, I'm not shelling out a hundred bucks for a new console every year.

Annnnd my interest is gone.

CrossLOPER:
I like how they are already committing resources without any feedback at all.

Well, why let pragmatism get in the way of business.

Gearhead mk2:
...I thought that this was an Android device, not an Apple.

There's generally one new version of an Apple device a year. With Android, there's dozens.

CrossLOPER:

Triaed:
Yay, annual obsolescence!

90's Microsoft would be proud.

I think they'd be a little jealous, actually.

BHAhahahahahahhaahaha... Oh wait, you're serious? Let me laugh harder!

OT: Lol, even if they go ahead and do this, everyone is just going to stick to the first Ouya. Not too indifferent from how some people still use Windows XP.

So even our consoles are becoming annualized. What the actual fuck!?
Who in their right mind would think this is a good idea?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here