Journey Wins Game of the Year at 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards

Journey Wins Game of the Year at 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards

At this year's D.I.C.E. Awards, the big winner was Journey, which took home eight awards out of 11 total nominations, including Game of the Year.

Wrapping up the 2013 D.I.C.E. Summit was the 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards hosted by Chris Hardwick. This year Journey led the pack with a whopping 11 nominations, and managed to take home eight awards, including Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design, Outstanding Innovation in Gaming, and Game of the Year.

Telltale's The Walking Dead did pretty well for itself at the show as well, netting four awards including Outstanding Achievement in Story, Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance, and Adventure Game of the Year.

Much to my delight, XCOM: Enemy Unknown took home a pair of awards, namely Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year and Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering, while Borderlands 2 brought home Action Game of the Year. Check out the full list of winners below.

• Action Game of the Year - Borderlands 2
  • Mobile Game of the Year - Hero Academy
  • Handheld Game of the Year - Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Most Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition - Journey
  • Most Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Story - The Walking Dead
  • Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - The Walking Dead's Lee Everett
  • Downloadable Game of the Year - The Walking Dead
  • Casual Game of the Year - Journey
  • Web Based Game of the Year - SimCity Social
  • Family Game of the Year - Skylanders Giants
  • RPG/MMO Game of the Year - Mass Effect 3
  • Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Outstanding Innovation in Gaming - Journey
  • Sports Game of the Year - Fifa Soccer 13
  • Racing Game of the Year - Need for Speed Most Wanted
  • Fighting Game of the Year - PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
  • Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity - Halo 4
  • Outstanding Achievement in Animation - Assassin's Creed 3
  • Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering - Halo 4
  • Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Adventure Game of the Year - The Walking Dead
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction - Journey
  • Game of the Year - Journey

Casual Game of the Year - Journey

Sorry what

jericu:
Casual Game of the Year - Journey

Sorry what

They were running out of awards it could win.

Games that the majority of the gaming population cannot experience should not win awards until they are released on more than one platform. As soon as all award shows/events/whatever apply that policy then there will be a lot more incentive to develop on more platforms. I do not believe that game devs which sold out to sony get awards for refusing to develop for other platforms!

I was watching a view of the awards show where three guys were just standing around in front a monitor talking about it, that was fun. One of them started mini-ranting about Lost.

I approve of these awards.

Not sure what Borderlands is doing there, but hey, nobody's perfect.

doggie015:
Games that the majority of the gaming population cannot experience should not win awards until they are released on more than one platform. As soon as all award shows/events/whatever apply that policy then there will be a lot more incentive to develop on more platforms. I do not believe that game devs which sold out to Sony get awards for refusing to develop for other platforms!

LOL sorry but.. what. Are you an idiot? Selling out? Just because they made it a ps3 exclusive? I'm sorry but i come from a generation where a LOT of games were only for one system or another. It brought some life to the consuls. Remember consul wars? Nintendo vs PlayStation. Both pumping out good games to draw the attention of customers. Yah. That is gone now. all we get are the same stuff over and over again. how many cods? for all the consuls that we have there is no variety. There is no excitement. Halo is a consul exclusive. There are many exclusives but at the same time there aren't really any. the ones that are are the last of their kind really. Everyone feels entitled to play all the games on everything.

I say.. to hell with the whole. "available on all consuls/pc" bring on more exclusives. Games like journey, Tokyo jungle, etc. (all exclusives) are why i bought the ps3. Halo and mass effect (before the spread) are why i got 360. Zelda, Mario. ssb, etc. are why i got the wii.

those non exclusive games... while still fun to play. THEY are the ones who sold out in my eyes. they sold out to every company so they could make the most profit.

OT: so in response to journey winning. I am actually really glad. it was an amazing game. I really want more people to experience playing it. :')

That's nice.

Let's hope Thatgamecompany is already working on their next title. They seem to be getting better with each one.

knight4light:
-snip-

Would you feel that way if all the platform-exclusive games you wanted to play were locked to a console that you could not afford? Would you be feeling the same way if even after winning all of these awards it is literally impossible for you to play the game because you cannot afford the console for it?

Go Journey and suck it "The Walking Dead"

That is all.

Fighting game of the year - Playstation all star battle royale ?

Must've been a slow year for fighting games :I

what the fuck is this?

a gaming themed award show gives out prizes to game developers and publishers that deserved it?

what the fuck is wrong with them?
so who reanimated their brains like they were zombie hearts in warm bodies?

Al-Bundy-da-G:
Go Journey and suck it "The Walking Dead"

That is all.

you are just bitter because of what happened to lee and kenny..

rhizhim:
what the fuck is this?

a gaming themed award show gives out prizes to game developers and publishers that deserved it?

what the fuck is wrong with them?

This phrase does not fit with a conference that gave an award to Borderlands 2.

But seriously, though; it's because it's a trade conference first and an awards show second. Though they always have made some questionable decisions in the past.

yeah, i'm pretty sure somebody was bribed in order to give sticker star an award

All these prizes for Mass Effect 3 adequately demonstrate that ef all good RPGs came out this year

No love for FarCry 3?

doggie015:
Games that the majority of the gaming population cannot experience should not win awards until they are released on more than one platform. As soon as all award shows/events/whatever apply that policy then there will be a lot more incentive to develop on more platforms. I do not believe that game devs which sold out to sony get awards for refusing to develop for other platforms!

I couldn't disagree more, even if I tried. A great game should be worthy of recognition be it on one or a billion formats.

Wow, I have played literally none of these games
I need to get in more

Did the Smash ripoff really win best fighter when Skullgirls came out last year too? My word...

I'm glad that Journey won, even though I've never played it. We need more games that aren't solely made to be a cash cow.

I honestly dont get the big deal about Journey, I get it why would someone like it but to be game of the year I just dont see it. Its just one of those games like Limbo and Flower that tell such a minimalistic story that is hard to care about and in the end its just preety and thematic with a great sense of atmosphere and impressive visuals.

Basicly I just want to say "Its a cool game but really? GOTY?"

Individuo:
No love for FarCry 3?

It did receive seven nominations, third most after Journey and The Walking Dead, including one for GOTY. It was their most-nominated "AAA" title.

So All Stars won best figting game. You know DICE, you already pleased me by giving Journey 8 awards, you really didnt have to do that much for me.

Hold on there, Mr. Vanderwall, I think you got some of the awards wrong. Let me pull up the correct sheet;

• Action Game of the Year - Journey
  • Mobile Game of the Year - Journey
  • Handheld Game of the Year - Journey
  • Most Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition - Journey
  • Most Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Story - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Journey's [Scarf Person]
  • Downloadable Game of the Year - Journey
  • Casual Game of the Year - Journey
  • Web Based Game of the Year - Journey
  • Family Game of the Year - Journey
  • RPG/MMO Game of the Year - Journey
  • Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year - Journey
  • Outstanding Innovation in Gaming - Journey
  • Sports Game of the Year - Journey
  • Racing Game of the Year - Journey
  • Fighting Game of the Year - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Animation - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering - Journey
  • Adventure Game of the Year - Journey
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction - Journey
  • Game of the Year - Journey

A Bit More Seriously: While I respect Journey despite not having played it, the game being crowned Casual GOTY and the most "Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay" in the entirety of 2012? Honestly, that just seems like reaching.Otherwise, nothing seems too out-of-place.

V8 Ninja:
While I respect Journey despite not having played it, the game being crowned Casual GOTY and the most "Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay" in the entirety of 2012? Honestly, that just seems like reaching.Otherwise, nothing seems too out-of-place.

I agree with you on the Casual GOTY thing, but Journey is an achievement in Online gameplay. Every other online game last year just did something that'd already been done.

Outstanding Achievement in Online play is Journey? A game that goes back to limiting it to 2-player online co-op where you don't have the option of VOIP? How is that even logical? Spock will cry Vulcan tears...

Casual Game of the Year: Most games are casual, save for eSport games like LoL (which even has Dominion to be casual). that's just a category added to award Journey once more.

WARNING! The following is a conspiracy theory and rant (you have been warned):

It would seem that, in a year of multiple mass shootings that have caused video gaming to be in the political crosshairs, these award shows have rigged themselves to find the least violent game out there to justify the past time against the political backlash. This so called "game" is a very short Indie title that allows 2-person co-op, no voice or text communication, and is basically about the story of a living towel going through a desert.

There have been far more innovative games out there, have been far more multiplayer oriented, games which have more artistic tone (in color, expression, detail, atmosphere, etc.), and even sound was better in several other games (including music too). I really don't understand "Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction", because it wasn't even directed at being a game...there were other games that actually pushed their "game direction", including XCOM (which essentially brought back the nearly dead genre that was Turn Based Strategy).

My replacements are...

-Most Outstanding Achievement in Music Composition: ~Skyrim~ (include credit for the Dragonborn theme song, which is the single most well known song for music to come out this past year)

-Casual Game of the Year: ~Mincraft for Xbox 360~ (since we cannot give it to the PC version which released the previous year, the Xbox360 version still makes it the most casual game out there, especially with all the additional RPG elements added to the game).
-Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: ~Guild Wars 2~ (as far as I've found, every review had labeled this game innovative. Angry Joe gave it his first 10/10! Changed many of the standards within it's genre, breathing new life into the MMO genre as a whole).
-Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: ~Guild Wars 2/Planetside 2 (I'm kind of tossed between the two on hand that they're both really great games that allow for hundreds of players to together coordinate their gameplay, communicate with each other, and fight in battles together at one time).
-Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: ~Guild Wars 2~ (It's paint-brush style applied to everything gives the game a framed view that any section of can be captured and mounted over a mantle place. Dark areas are truly, pitch black dark and light places are sun-glistening in grandeur.)
-Game of the Year: ~Guild Wars 2~ (A buy-2-play MMORPG with no monthly subscription. A game where you could play with thousands of people online, with friends and family alike. One where you could throw kegs of brew on ice, delve deep into pits of darkness for treasures abound, siege a castle, fight in a battle arena, craft some fancy cloths, explore world wide vistas, fight gigantic dragons, complete a personal story to be the hero/heroine, and so much more. A game within a painted world of mystery and beauty and enormous scale. A game that is NOT about a magical towel in a dessert suffering from over use of bloom.)

Genocidicles:

V8 Ninja:
While I respect Journey despite not having played it, the game being crowned Casual GOTY and the most "Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay" in the entirety of 2012? Honestly, that just seems like reaching. Otherwise, nothing seems too out-of-place.

I agree with you on the Casual GOTY thing, but Journey is an achievement in Online gameplay. Every other online game last year just did something that'd already been done.

Not really. Two players traveling in one area simultaneously and being able to emote is neither new nor "Outstanding" in any way, at least from a technical standpoint. I would have expected something like Guild Wars 2 to really take that award home as the game does a lot of things that elevate online play, especially in the MMO market.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here