Artists Capture The Spirit of Mass Effect

Artists Capture The Spirit of Mass Effect

Ever wondered what an Elcor warrior looks like?

BioWare made one fatal error in the making of Mass Effect 3. The game, a colossal effort from a team of hundreds, had one glaring deficiency that undid not only that installment of the series, but the two excellent games that preceded it as well.

I am, of course, talking about the appalling lack of Elcor mounts.

Unfortunately, none of the artists taking part in a Mass Effect-themed competition on digital art forum, CGHub, managed to fill that particular hole in my life, but one did come very close indeed with his rendition of an Elcor warrior.

"Create a character that would fit into the Mass Effect universe," reads the competition announcement. "He or She could either be from an existing/established race from the game's universe or an undiscovered race."

The entries come from artists both amateur and professional, and they're almost uniformly brilliant. Free from animation and budgetary concerns, the designs are far more varied and imaginative than BioWare's own. Some, like this sword-wielding model from Dae-Eung Lee, are a radical departure from the series' aesthetics, while others seem so natural you could almost mistake them for official artwork. There's a ton of great entries, but I've picked out some of my favorites for your viewing pleasure.

Alright, BioWare. I admit, I'm still a little bit sore about Mass Effect 3's ending (and the lack of Elcor mounts), but if you include Oleg Memukhin's excellent moe Drell scientist in whatever Mass Effect 4 turns out to be then all is forgiven.

Source: CGHub via Kotaku

If they introduced an Elcor soldier/heavy weapons dude to ME3 multiplayer, I wqould buy that class and xbox live damn quick...

These are all dead cool pictures, but while I like to think of myself as reasonably well-versed in Mass Effect canon, can somebody please tell me what the deuce the person in picture 5 is supposed to be? I don't recognise (him? her? it?) from any of the games, and I can't think of anything described in the Expanded Universe books I've read that matches that.

Colonel Mustard:
These are all dead cool pictures, but while I like to think of myself as reasonably well-versed in Mass Effect canon, can somebody please tell me what the deuce the person in picture 5 is supposed to be? I don't recognise (him? her? it?) from any of the games, and I can't think of anything described in the Expanded Universe books I've read that matches that.

It seems sort of like a cross breed of an Asari and a Prothean, but I have no idea what it is.

Also I couldnt help but start laughing when I looked at the female drell pic as, now that I have seen that those head frills look like mutton chops I cant unsee it.

Colonel Mustard:

they are oravores.

Oravores
The oravores were a spacefaring race that existed at the time of the Protheans. When they attacked the asari homeworld of Thessia to gain control of its vast resources, the Protheans stopped them. This event would later be remembered in asari mythology as when the goddess Athame wielded her sword against jealous gods who threatened the asari. The oravores also fought a war against the densorin.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Oravores#Oravore

the name of them is on the picture....
and here is the website of the artist
http://danielorive.blogspot.de/

Colonel Mustard:

Well Bioware did say it could be an "undiscovered race." And after seeing some of the stranger entries in that thread, I guess it just means "go nuts"

alos holy shitballs some of them are godlike good.
in zbrush, what a freak.

Why am I slightly amused that someone on The Escapist used the term "moe?" Hehe... Moe. Moe. Mo-ey

Moe is so hype

Anyway! Cool! Good Mass Effect art is always awesome. OI comments, we need at least 50% more salty references to ME3's ending. Get on it!

Still there needs to be some... Whatsit warriors. The little guys who breathe funny. I am completely blanking on the name of their species. Some badass little guy wielding a shotgun that knocks him on his ass when he fires it. Oh but then they'd be ripping off Borderlands and we can't have that XD

Bad artists! BAD! Don't they know spirits are meant to be free!? FREEEEEEEEEeeeeee.....!

Jokes aside, it's good to see calls for users to take a more active role in art and content design, because, well, there are folks out there who have the talent and the inspiration, can't hurt to let them post their stuff and see if it fits, and then crediting them with it in the game itself if it fits well enough.

There were some damn cool armor designs there. Props to those guys (and gals), they are skilled.

BioWare: MP DLC using these designs. NOW.

EDIT: check out the similar threads thing at the bottom. There's a link to a Dragon Age challenge thread as well. It's not as long and most of the entries stray too far from the source material (my opinion), but there's still some neat stuff there too.

this is the most interesting species in that universe:

What race is picture 4? Quarians?

Amethyst Wind:
What race is picture 4? Quarians?

its supposed to be the child of Commander Shepard and Liara T'Soni

Laurhel Daugther of the retired Commander Shepard and Liara T'Soni.
Scientific Expert assigned to the Normandy SR-3
Last confirmed Location: Terminus Systems

some submissions are awesome, so just browse the link the OP provided. you wont regret it.
http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15450

Poor Elcor, they where not supposed be mounts. They used their incredible strength to wear super heavy armour and carry large support weapons like the kind you usually see on vehicles. They where not space horses they where walking tanks.

lack of elcor soldiers was disappointing in ME3
Few things developers should introduce in next game(s)
Batarian/drell/elcor/salarian/turian/females

Basically if there is a race that have gender dimorphism, developers should introduce both genders in the game

For ME3 multiplayer:

Elcor heavy soldiers, seriously multiplayer instant choice

Ability to equip 2 ANY rifles and 2 ANY sidearms (shotgun slot can remain unique)
If 2 sidearms are the 100% same, choice between single weapon and dual wielding should be available

Ballistic shield (like those Cerberus soldiers wield)+sidearm combo

More heavy weapons for multiplayer

OMG CUTEST DRELL CHILD EVAR!!!!

They do all look fantastic...though one of them seems to literally be just Grunt with an added cybernetic claw-gauntleet.

Still, infinitely better than anything I could have done. :P

Also: I wish the person that did Liara and Shepard's daughter would have rendered her face for a screenshot. I also like how it looks like her drone is pissed off and ready to mess someone up. :3

Colonel Mustard:

Maybe it's what the Asari actually look like without their tricksy tricks.

J Tyran:
Poor Elcor, they where not supposed be tanks. They used their incredible strength to wear super heavy armour and carry large support weapons like the kind you usually see on vehicles. They where not space horses they where walking tanks.

"With unbridled glee: Burn motherfucker. Burn."

These guys are enough to restore my faith in gamers, almost.

Why does the female Drell have mammaries? It's an aquatic amphibian species. They're called mammaries because they're supposed to be attached to goddamn mammals.

I resolve to lose all faith in scifi artists until they stop sticking boobs on everything.

Aww man, so much weeaboo. Coincidentally, this reminds me why I love ME1, and that's because it was a grounded western space opera rpg, and those are so damn rare, especially ones as experimental as ME1. Then ME2 came along and got all the GOTYs. Coincidentally around this same time I became a nihilist.

Gennadios:
Why does the female Drell have mammaries? It's an aquatic amphibian species. They're called mammaries because they're supposed to be attached to goddamn mammals.

I resolve to lose all faith in scifi artists until they stop sticking boobs on everything.

That, my friend, is the magic of illogical biology is fiction. And you know, human concepts regarding genders and stuff. And people on the internet liking tits. That too.

MiracleOfSound:

Colonel Mustard:
Snip.

Maybe it's what the Asari actually look like without their tricksy tricks.

Edit: Never mind, someone near the top of the page explained it way better than me.

...Am I the only one who can see how incredibly racist "Elcor Mounts" is? They're a fucking sapient species, they're not horses...

Aww, I wish I had known this was going on. I must join CGHub, I suppose. I'd have given the volus their deserved status as "Space Dwarves"

RhombusHatesYou:

I feel like that made me laugh way more than it should've.

OT: Stuff like this makes me wish I was kind of artistic...but...I'm not.

I'm not really sure all of these capture the "spirit" of Mass Effect. Like that Volus for example would seem pretty out of place in a Mass Effect game. But that's a good thing, I like how these all have such unique styles.

Now I really hope they don't end the Mass Effect series.

This makes me want playable Elcor in multiplayer, or an Elcor squadmate even more.

Well it truly is in the Spirit of Mass Effect: everything female has either typical female hips and or breasts.

EDIT: "Typical" is not actually the best fitting word there since every woman (human, person and so on) is different than the other, but i think one can understand what i mean nonetheless. ^_^

rhizhim:

they are oravores.
--- snip ---

Hang on... Is the one on the left on bass? :9

RhombusHatesYou:

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on fir"... Come to think of it; An Elcor vocalist might do a more expressive performance than the original. ;)

So, who else saw #4 and heard an echo of "staying alive" in their mind's ear. :P
...speaking of staying alive...

Somebloke:

rhizhim:

they are oravores.
--- snip ---

Hang on... Is the one on the left on bass? :9

yes, they fought on the asari planet an epic music battle with the blues fanatic saxophone playing protheans.
only they got disqualified since only air instruments were allowed...

...normally I'm not into the idea of being with another species, but that female Drell is so damn cute.
Oh who am I kidding, if I could go on an interstellar sex-binge, I'd hump from star to star until an extra-terrestial bacteria/STD killed me.

Almost all of these are so amazing. I hope that EA will go far, far away from the multiplayer part of Mass Effect 3 and delve into the different stories and species of the setting and fuel our imaginations with wonderful worlds.
And female Drells. Lots of those too.

dat elcor! honestly, who would not want to see that beast fight

Wow, those are really good.

...um, except for number 2. I feel like that one is going to eat my soul...

*looks again*

Yep, Imma have nightmares about that one.

If I was good enough I would have entered into it myself, I have some pretty original ideas floating around my head but I am still trying to understand the fundamental basics of organic modeling outside of Zbrush.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here