Obsidian is Pitching a New Star Wars Game

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Grey Carter:
"To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again]."

Because I'd really like to see a neew SW RPG, I'm going to assume that what he really said was "To kind of go over there and kick someone in the nuts until they agree to let us make this game." :3

Oh man, I'm so excited! Hope Disney lets them deliver!

Weird timing. I just started replaying KOTOR 2 recently(almost off of Peragus finally).

But yeah, get the hell on this right now! A new Obsidian Star Wars RPG would be enough to make me break my no preorder rule. And as a bonus, we wouldn't get stuck with the badly aging Star Wars D20 ruleset.

The FUCK? If your answer to "what is the best Star Wars game" is "The Old Republic 2" the you are WRONG. It was the fucking death of the series. (Well arguably ToR was the death of it, but go away, I'm trying to make a point here).
The story sucked, the silver lightsaber was idiotic, it was bugged as hell, incredibly predictable, the dialogues just led into a retarded circle until you chose whatever option the writer wanted you to choose so there was no freedom to boot and WHY COULDNT I KICK THE FUCKING OLD HAG OUT THE AIRLOCK, SHE WAS OBVISOULY EVIL.

Anyway, don't need.

Kahani:

Grey Carter:
Ask the average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Obsidian's excellent [i]Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Really? I was under the impression most people considered the original to be much better, and the review scores certainly seem to support that. The sequel was a great game, and I honestly didn't notice a single bug when playing it, but it just wasn't as good as the first (other than the graphics which were of course a lot better).

That said, I would love to see them make another one.

Captcha: Beautiful friendship. Oh yes.

It's an interesting position. There is definitely a subset of people who will argue that KotoR 2 is one of the greatest RPGs of all time, and they've probably played more RPGs than the people who say the same of KotoR (because as much as KotoR is a good game it doesn't even hold up to a shadow of say Planescape:Torment whereas KotoR 2 is closer to doing that) but the general publics opinion is that KotoR 1 is better.

Personally I find KotoR1 incredibly drab in comparison. The story hinges on its twist and without it, it's pretty drab and boring (and the dialogue at the start is incredibly awful. Lots of 'as you know we have these devices called blasters' style stuff). The companion system in KotoR uses that terrible Bioware 'wait two missions and then pull the advance relationships lever' system which has never been a good idea in any of the games they've had it, yet they won't get rid of it. KotoR2 on the other hand has the influence system, which is exactly what every party game should use, it's such a better level of interaction to have party members look at what you do and judge it through their own prism of experience than 'oh look he talked to me and didn't call me a moron'.

And generally I find the characters for KotoR2 a lot more interesting. What happens to Bastila is pretty interesting and HK has good dialogue and apart from that...? I guess Jolee can be funny sometimes. Whereas Visas Marr, GoTo (if you ever unlock his full backstory), HK, Atton, Kreia, the Echani and even T3 have less bland personalities than Carth and really interesting full backstories, a lot of them you can even turn into Jedi with the right option (I will say that the engineer and the Disciple were as boring as Carth though).

The upgrade system is better and there are better powers. The main story actually ties into the gameplay and has a unique take on the SW universe, it makes much more interesting comments about Revan and the Mandalorian wars than KotoR 1 ever did.

But the advantages to KotoR1 are: An infinitely better ending, more fleshed out worlds (ish, Nar Shadda was pretty amazing) a much shorter prologue and the actual missions on the world feel a bit deeper, if they aren't so challenging, good sidequests and a solid performance.

KotoR 1 was the sort of game that would get 90's on review scores, it has a heck of a lot of polish, it doesn't try anything challenging but it does everything very well and very prettily. It takes the standard Star Wars story and tells it in a very competent way, including the identity reveal that Bioware had done in pretty much every game pre-Mass Effect and naturally appeared in the original Star Wars trilogy. Their version of T3 was that, a droid, nothing special. The best piece of writing in the game was a fanmade mod, which was a lot more adventurous than the vanilla game (vanilla is generally a good word for KotoR)

KotoR 2 was the sort of game with no polish, lots of lows and lots of highs. It did a lot of things wrong, the level design wasn't great, but it also tried out ideas that no-one had had before and made all of it's characters have another level of depth. T3 was a droid, but he had recognisable personality (despite no dialogue!). The most consistent engineering and designing for the game is a fan made mod. It doesn't review well, because game reviews mainly grade polish because the reviewers are trying to objective and if they see a recognisable score they'll dock points, whereas it's not normal to add points for something done amazingly. Thats why GTA IV is one of the best scored games of all time, despite most people preferring San Andreas and why Beyond Good and Evil is only in the 80's. Plus KotoR 2 was unfinished at time of review and has since been finished by fans.

I think the way public perception has fallen is fairly reasonable. For the majority of people, they're going to play KotoR enjoy the experience, be shocked by the twist and leave thinking of it was the better game. But if you're looking for a more unique experience with themes that are worth talking about after you've played the game, KotoR 2 wins hands down. But it might not be as fun to play and will contain lots of individual bits that aren't as well done. KotoR 2 has a cult fanbase and I think stands up better to repeated playthroughs and KotoR has a large section of the public who loved the game and can be played through twice to huge satisfaction.

Still never played KotOR 2. I loved the first one, but the reports of so many bugs and glitches and crashes and unfinished-ness and other horrible things kind of turned me off a little bit. With this announcement, though, and the existence of the mod that, apparently, fixes most of the issues the game had, I guess I'm running out of excuses.

OT: Oh, please yes. I need another good Star Wars game. It's been so long since I've played a good one. I have very little faith in 1313, because it'll hurt too much to be excited and then let down again, but I think Obsidian could do a really good job.

Why not finish your kickstarter project first Obsidian? You don't need be so ambitious.

Considering they never delivered their last star wars game, just a 60 dollar beta buy in missing an entire second act and glitchy as hell... yeah I will pass.

Daystar Clarion:
Let Obsidian do everything except the building of the game and it should be perfect :D

How Obsidian has released so many buggy titles is beyond me, but they need a seperate team just to make sure the game doesn't start falling apart as soon as you try to play it.

Heaven
A game written by Obsidian and constructed by Blizzard.

Hell
A game written by Blizzard and constructed by Obsidian.

Daystar Clarion:
Let Obsidian do everything except the building of the game and it should be perfect :D

How Obsidian has released so many buggy titles is beyond me, but they need a seperate team just to make sure the game doesn't start falling apart as soon as you try to play it.

I have only had one major bug in KotOR 2 so far, and the only frequent crashes were on the version I spliced together with a cracked TPB and modded Steam version. Also, the only major problems I had with Alpha Protocol was the terrible port controls for PC and balance issues that mostly lurked in the endgame.

OP: yes, Yes, YES!!

However, they should finish Stick of Truth or Project Eternity first, as the team pulling double-duty on different projects isn't the best idea for anyone, especially them.

SonOfMethuselah:
I guess I'm running out of excuses.

Yes. K2 improves on pretty much every aspect of K1 (no exaggeration), and it's not nearly as buggy as people make it out to be.

Oh please Disney, let this game be made!

CardinalPiggles:
Why not finish your kickstarter project first Obsidian? You don't need be so ambitious.

deathbydeath:
However, they should finish Stick of Truth or Project Eternity first, as the team pulling double-duty on different projects isn't the best idea for anyone, especially them.

The Stick of Truth is probably a non-issue and won't really affect other development at this point.

The last parts of the development cycle are very heavy on QA testing and bugfix programming, while Project Eternity is kind of in the middle. Story and dialog is being polished up, many of the designs are there to stay, and they're well on their way to turning their design document into actual code.

By the time Kotor 3 starts pre-development (if Disney ever agrees), Project Eternity won't probably need the designers and especially the writers as much.

Captcha: "Here or there"

Avellone sure seems to run around a lot these days.

Hate to be "that" guy that mentions reality but, this won't happen in the era they want. Obsidian, and others, seem to have forgotten there are games in the era they are trying to pitch a game for. Namely, The Force Unleashed franchise occupies that slot.(no need for a discussion about the quality of those games please.)Also, while Lucas did sell off Star Wars he did, however, retain some control creatively. He would probably attempt to block new ip that is not Force Unleashed in that era or Disney will push for Obsidian to do Force Unleashed 3 or some such. Further, as someone else mentioned, Disney has a terrible track record with games...

A friend and I were both disappointed when we heard that the Old Republic was an MMO rather than a new KOTOR game, so I will be very happy if they decide to make one at last. I have never been much of a Star Wars fan, but I adored KOTOR I and II. Hell, liking them was one of the reasons for why I got into Mass Effect.

To be honest I never really noticed any bugs in either of them when I played. None that stood out enough for me to remember anyway.

I don't dislike the game, but I honestly couldn't tell if I was reaching a fail state when fighting "blindingly obvious villain lady" and got a cut scene where the ship falls into lava, e'rrybody dies and you get a slow zoom back from stars. I loaded the save a bunch and was pretty sure I won the fight but...
I've actually never disliked any of Obsidian's games, but I won't buy buggy crap anymore. Three times I lost my save file in New Vegas and I couldn't bring myself to start a fourth play through.
That volunteer group did release a fixed version of KotorII last year, so I look forwards to playing this game in 2022.
Also, ask your average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Pandemic Studios excellent Star Wars: Battlefront.
Hey, that's a neat trick there.
Looking back, I think villain lady may have been blind, and am sorry if that means there was a pun in this post.

Mr Cwtchy:
Meh, if it's not Battlefront 3 then I'm not interested.

Best of luck to them though, hope they can make a game that isn't chock-full of bugs, and more importantly can bring back a level of quality associated with the Star Wars IP.

Agreed. I played some of the first KotOR, but never got around to finishing it and haven't played the second one at all. Plus, Obsidian really doesn't have the best track record when it comes to releasing relatively non-buggy games.

I like the idea, but I think they should make a game set in New Jedi Order. Now that would really be awesome.

KOTOR 2 improved most aspects of the first - a much better upgrade system, companion influence, better combat, more force powers, generally better companions etc. Where it fell down was the storyline and the big chunks of missing game (bugs were never a massive issue for me).

Back on topic, if they do this I'll buy it pretty much regardless of reviews. With SWTOR it seems unlikely that it'll be a KOTOR 3 (although I'd love them to do a KOTOR 3 resolving what happened to Revan (yes, I know it's dealt with in the book and SWTOR)). I'm not a big fan of the choice of time period, if they were avoiding the old republic era then I'd be fine with a game set post-EP6, but with Disney's new movies that seems unlikely too.

Yes, yes, oh fuck yes :D

This is the best piece of gaming news I've heard of since I watched the Watch Dogs trailer. There's not many studios that I'd rather give the SW IP to. In fact, there is NO studio that I'd rather give it to, this is right up Obsidian's alley and I hope Disney works out a deal with them and not rush them like LucasArts have.

Oh god yes. I'm not even fussed about the bugs if we get something as awesome as KOTOR 2 again.

Although I'm worried they might have a bit too much on their plate, what with them working on The stick of Truth, Project Eternity and the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. Plus they're helping with Wasteland 2.

deathbydeath:

SonOfMethuselah:

Yes. K2 improves on pretty much every aspect of K1 (no exaggeration), and it's not nearly as buggy as people make it out to be.

But the beginning of the game! Its so.. Dull! So painfully dull!

So maybe a new obisidian star wars game, a kick starter for a new dream fall game i've been wait since 2006 for and EA's micro-transaction ends up horribly backfiring and is easily circumvented.

This is a good day.

DazBurger:

I can understand that. The Ebon Hawk tutorial puzzle was good, but the Peragus station could be cut down a bit.

DazBurger:

deathbydeath:

SonOfMethuselah:

A lot of people argue the same thing for Taris. (I personally don't get it, I love Taris.) I also like Peragus, but I felt that it would have worked better with a retexture to make it look more like the Nostromo from Aliens. It was too clean to be intimidating.

Sneezeguard:
and EA's micro-transaction ends up horribly backfiring and is easily circumvented.

What is this? That sounds like amazing news!

If their placing it at that period would it be called Star Wars: The Fall of the Old Republic?

Also I want this to be made! This will make so many people happy and disney and obs. rich!

I always love it when people dock KOTOR II's story with shit like "It was so predictable! The lady was OBVIOUSLY evil!" If you make that kind of statement, you completely missed the entire point of the game.

Kahani:

Grey Carter:
Ask the average PC gamer what their favorite Star Wars game is and there's a good chance they'll name drop Obsidian's excellent [i]Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Really? I was under the impression most people considered the original to be much better, and the review scores certainly seem to support that. The sequel was a great game, and I honestly didn't notice a single bug when playing it, but it just wasn't as good as the first (other than the graphics which were of course a lot better).

That said, I would love to see them make another one.

Captcha: Beautiful friendship. Oh yes.

I asked the same question when I saw it said KOTOR 2 and not the original...

I remember KOTOR 2 having that Obsidian quality bug control, not that they ever ruined the game. Plus, the game pretty much fell apart by the end. It was a good game and i'd still play it today over a lot of other RPGs that come out today, but it's no where near as good as the original KOTOR...

The Bandit:
I always love it when people dock KOTOR II's story with shit like "It was so predictable! The lady was OBVIOUSLY evil!" If you make that kind of statement, you completely missed the entire point of the game.

Yeah, perhaps; however the point would be easier to discern if the game was friggin' finished. I can remember at least a half dozen places where it was rather obviously unfinished. (Unfinished quest lines- HO!)

That's my only real complaint with the game, it just felt... unfinished. Like it was supposed to be better, but it just wasn't done yet.

Am I really the only one who's noticed that there's a REALLY weird smiling mouth hastily photoshopped into that image? Seriously? How can no one see that?

Genocidicles:
Although I'm worried they might have a bit too much on their plate, what with them working on The stick of Truth, Project Eternity and the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. Plus they're helping with Wasteland 2.

Actually, Obsidian has very little to do with the Torment: Tides of Numenera since the lead designer is one of the other PS:T writers now working for inXile, and Obsidian's involvement with Wasteland 2 has almost ended, at least it has on Chris Avellone's part.

so i really liked the first one (apart from that bastard darth malak who according to the internet is like the most disappointing boss in the history of the world for being easy but is like one of only 2 bosses i have ever given up on for being just fucking obnoxiously hard. the shithouse) but couldn't be arsed with the second one at all... nothing ever seemed to happen... just me?

RT:

Infernai:
Provided this goes through i have one very basic request to Disney/Lucasarts and one alone....*Ahem*

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE! By the will of the force: Let them finish the damned game. I don't think we need another Kotor 2 scenario (Head company forcing them to cut half the game out and release it unfinished.). I realise the restoration mod helped get around this...eventually, but i think it's best if they just have the time to finish the bloody story this time doncha think?

It wasn't like that. At all. It went like this:
Feargus wanted some extra time to develop some new stuff for the game. He got the confirmation from a LucasArts man, but they didn't sign the prolongation and the man has apparently forgotten about the whole thing. So when the release date came along, the game wasn't finished.
Plus, Obsidian were fooling around for first months instead of developing the game.

Really? Huh....well, i had heard originally that it was because Lucasarts wouldn't give them time to finish due to wanting a christmas release but, well, if this is the case then i guess there was more to it.

Thanks for correcting me.

Favorite Star Wars game? Oh, the Arcade game replaying all the big events of the original trilogy with the joystick? No, not that one? How about Shadows of the Empire, one of the best N64 games and a great translation of a wonderful book. No, not that? How about Battlefront, a great multiplayer experience letting me live out what feels like a real war across different places in different roles? No, not that, either?

Oh, we're talking about a piss-poor RPG more focused on BS dialog choices than anything else? OK, wake me when they're making a game I should care about.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here