Activision Confirms New Call of Duty for 2013

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Activision Confirms New Call of Duty for 2013

In a move that surprises exactly no-one, Activision announces the tenth game in the FPS franchise that just won't die.

Activision's financial report revealed a lot of surprising data about the record-breaking sales the company saw in 2012. Very unsurprising, though, was the announcement that 2013 would see another instalment in Activision's long, long running Call of Duty franchise. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg confirmed that the game will see release in the forth quarter of this year, and while he expects the game to do well, he expressed doubts that it will be able to match Black Ops II's record-breaking sales.

"The Call of Duty franchise continues to set the bar for innovation and we expect the new Call of Duty game in development for 2013 to raise that bar even higher" - Eric Hirshberg

No concrete details have emerged about the game as of yet, but considering Activision announced earlier that it was working on a next-gen Call of Duty title, and current rumours speculate the release of new consoles by the end of this year, it is possible the next Call of Duty will be available on next-gen consoles. It is presumed that Infinity Ward will develop this title, as developers Treyarch only just pushed out Black Ops II a few months ago.

"There is increased volatility this year due to the ongoing console transition, which makes predicting the future more challenging than during normal years in the cycle. For Call of Duty, consistent with our past practices, we are planning for the mainline release in Q4 to be down versus 2012," Activision CFO Dennis Durkin added.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II is the latest game in the Call of Duty franchise, releasing in November of last year. Four DLC packs are planned for the game over the coming year, with the first one, Revolution, having already been released last month.

Eric Hirshberg:
"The Call of Duty franchise continues to set the bar for innovation and we expect the new Call of Duty game in development for 2013 to raise that bar even higher," - Eric Hirshberg

Can this even be considered news? As was already said, this is not surprising to anybody.

CoD and innovation... does not compute, unless its a opposite comparison like light and dark.

Now CoD and Generic, I can see that.

Wow, I am shocked at this unorthodox behavior, now if you'll excuse me, I need to pick up my pants.

While I don't own any entries in the franchise and only have a basic experience with a couple of the games, I really, really liked the Pick 10 system, and hope that Infinity Ward (?) expands on it.

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, Activision churns out another annual Call of Duty game, claming to innovate the genre, that sells in the millions, despite adding nothing innovative.

oh look, another call of duty that I won't be buying. But 20 million people will. Because the moment a single person switches over to the next game, the one before becomes a barren ghost town. There went your 120 dollar investment on Black Ops 2 with initial perchase and season pass DLC, now you can do it all over again!

Also apparently if they fail to reach even a billion dollars its concidered a "failure". What a whiney bunch of bastards. Some games are lucky to break 200 mil. If even that.

wow. so amazing. i feel so surprised now. *sarcasm*

and since when is COD innovative???

deathbydeath:
Wow, I am shocked at this unorthodox behavior, and my pants fell down.

I know!

They still feel the need to announce new COD titles?

Daystar Clarion:
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, Activision churns out another annual Call of Duty game, claming to innovate the genre, that sells in the millions, despite adding nothing innovative.

Oh come now, they always add a new and innovative pretense for shooting brown people and Russians.

Okay, I enjoy the popcorn action of the yearly CoD game but saying that you lead the way in innovation is just straight up bullshit, Mr Hirschberg.

You never know, maybe they'll move on from modern warfare and start a new franchise. Call of Duty: Victorian Warfare, anyone? I mean, it's not as if it would be too radical a shift for the target audience, seeing as it still revolves around white guys shooting people who aren't white in the face. Just that you'd get to wear pretty red jackets instead of boring cammo

If it's Modern Warfare 4, then count me out. MW3 was the biggest disappointment I've bought since Final Fantasy 13.

Set the BAR for innovation? Are you- I- the- the point of innovation is to not HAVE a bar, what makes you think you can-

OH. Ohhhhhhhh. I get it.

I had to laugh my ass off at the innovation part, I wonder if he added that in as a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

Though I do hope they keep it set in the near future, that was a good move for Blops II

Does this really need an announcement? I would say they could just start putting the year on them like CoD 2013 but they punch out more than 1 a year.

We're stilling doing these? Hasn't everybody played Spec Ops: The Line by now?

Kidding. Seriously though? I still haven't bought any of these. Not because I'm an elitist bastard, but because I'm a cheap bastard and even on Steam deals the older titles don't drop below $15 or so. I can get two or three other 2+ year old AAA games for that price, and as many as five or six indie games.

Also, I'm an elitist bastard, but that's not the MAIN reason.

*waves hands mysteriously over crystal ball* i sense explosions and alot of them, not to mention a heart strings pulling cut scene

CardinalPiggles:
If it's Modern Warfare 4, then count me out. MW3 was the biggest disappointment I've bought since Final Fantasy 13.

see your problem there was expecting a decent game :P

Steven Bogos:
Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg confirmed that the game will see release in the forth quarter of this year, and while he expects the game to do well, he expressed doubts that it will be able to match Black Ops II's record-breaking sales.

you misspelt "fourth"

OT: same old same old, generic shooting mechanics with a bunch of prepubescent twats and early teenage pricks yelling at me

dragongit:
oh look, another call of duty that I won't be buying. But 20 million people will. Because the moment a single person switches over to the next game, the one before becomes a barren ghost town. There went your 120 dollar investment on Black Ops 2 with initial perchase and season pass DLC, now you can do it all over again!

Also apparently if they fail to reach even a billion dollars its concidered a "failure". What a whiney bunch of bastards. Some games are lucky to break 200 mil. If even that.

Not quite...

The next COD is being developed by IW. Even after MW3's release, there were still tons of people playing Blops 1 (mostly because MW3 was total shit). Plus, typically, when a new COD game comes out, it takes a few weeks to a few months for people to start complaining about it in comparison to the previous game, before going back to the previous game. Its a complicated system, but you pay attention to it long enough, you start to see the pattern.

FelixG:
I had to laugh my ass off at the innovation part, I wonder if he added that in as a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

Though I do hope they keep it set in the near future, that was a good move for Blops II

I would assume, when he said innovation, he didnt mean it in a meta example (COD being innovative to gaming on a whole, it hasnt been that since COD4). I assume he means the COD is being innovative in it self. Because really, there was a nice bit of innovation for a COD series with Blops 2 (choices that affect the games story, multiple endings, I thought the "Pick 10" system was quite innovative, when compared to previous games in the series.) There is not much COD can add to gaming in general, but there is quite a bit that gaming can give to the COD series.

Nihil Novi Sub Sole

Another Year, Another Call of Duty game.

Now, the question remains: Will it be Modern Warfare 4? Or will they try something a little more original?

NO FUCKING WAY! THIS IS AN AMAZING SURPRISE!
Why even bother "Announcing" them any more?

So are we going to be asked to shoot Russians under flimsy pretenses or shoot various flavors of brown people under flimsier pretenses? Also is there any where I can lay bets on the over/under for the number of acts that would count as war crimes that the game will ask the player to commit?

Okay, so we did WW2 and beat the poor thing into submission. Now we've done current/near future conflict and beaten that into submission. What's next? Earlier conflicts? We could shoot the armies of Napoleon! No one could get upset about that. Except maybe the French...but I digress. How about further into the future? Remember Battlefield 2142? That was actually pretty cool, but faded pretty quickly.

So, what's next?

THIS JUST IN: Water confirmed to be wet by nation's top scientists. Back to you Tom.

I'd be more surprised if they didn't announce one. Now that would be a real shocker!
And I think he mixed up "innovation" and "stagnation" because that is literally all that COD is doing

You guys need to stop hating on the developers. If I was in charge of the CoD franchise I would do EXACTLY what they are doing i.e. save resources, save costs, re-hash as much stuff as possible and sit on my growing money pile. You can't seriously tell me you wouldn't do the same thing if you were in their shoes...screw morals/ethics, screw hindering the progression of gaming, screw innovation, you are making BILLIONS OF DOLLARS. JUST DO IT. (You're not exactly being Hitler).

Also nobody gets Eric's innovation comment, he said "set the bar for innovation" because at this point he is TESTING to see how much bullshit he can get away with saying to the fanbase. Think about it, no matter what he says or what the company does, as long as they release a box with Call of Duty written on it and market the crap out of it...people are going to buy it up. The devs might as well troll the consumers right in their faces while doing it (they won't even notice), I know I would.

Gameslayer_93:

CardinalPiggles:

see your problem there was expecting a decent game :P

Nooooo shit.

Whatever you might think, I enjoyed MW2 a great deal. In fact the only game from the series I didn't like leading up to MW3 was World at War, so I had high hopes.

In other news, scientist expect water to remain wet for 2013.

Please go back to a WW2 game, hate these MW games, they are so boring.I still want a WW2 game with a small amount of free roaming levels so you can take whatever route you want through building and gardens etc etc clearing out houses of germans one by one. This is what EA should do with Medal of Honour.......set it in WW2 and not compete with CoD on MW games.

"The Call of Duty franchise continues to set the bar for innovation and we expect the new Call of Duty game in development for 2013 to raise that bar even higher" - Eric Hirshberg

Innovation?

Why the hell do the keep announcing Call of Duty games anyway? They get released faster than Batman villains!

I'm interested in seeing what this 'bar of innovation', that they speak of, looks like.

I'm actually quite shocked by this, I mean its only been a few months since the last Call of Duty, yet theyve found the creative and innovative genius to make another one so soon?!

Its almost like they've done this kind of thing a few times before.

Maybe this new "innovation" will be to actually fix the lag and piss poor hit detection. THough I suspect thats just primarilly a Treyarch trait.

Will the innovation be shooting white people? Oh, I guess they did that with the Nazis back-in-the-day. What about shooting...yourself! The next CoD game will be an advanced, highly realistic mirror shooting simulator. Just think of the awards they will win for such an artistic and striking commentary on mans inhumanity towards man. Plus there will probably be a scene where you shoot a small, feminine and slightly different coloured mirror, bringing rage and controversy to the interwebs around whether or not the game is being racist, sexist and infanticidal all at once.

Wait up, that sounds like too much plot. Better make a generic shooter instead. Hold the colour palette.

Totally called it... oh who cares a hermit living in a cave for twenty years could've called this.

"There is increased volatility this year due to the ongoing console transition, which makes predicting the future more challenging than during normal years in the cycle. For Call of Duty, consistent with our past practices, we are planning for the mainline release in Q4 to be down versus 2012," Activision CFO Dennis Durkin added

You know Dennis saying, "we're releasing COD again but with a bigger number on the end, same time same place," would have been quicker to say. Just saying.

Terramax:
I'm interested in seeing what this 'bar of innovation', that they speak of, looks like.

They'll probably send James Cameron down to find it.

Bobby will milk this franchise for all it's worth like they did with the Guitar hero. If it's still twitching .. milk it some more

Innovation? Really? They know damn well that that's not why fans buy the game.
Eh, buying it anyway.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 61854)