Platinum Urges Fans to Bug Nintendo About Bayonetta 2 Port

Platinum Urges Fans to Bug Nintendo About Bayonetta 2 Port

Platinum says it has no control over release platforms for its games.

Platinum Games fans must feel like a little kid alternately asking each parent for permission to do something at this point. Following a "go ask Konami" regarding Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for the Wii U, the Japanese developer has given a similar response to fans requesting that Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 receive non-Nintendo releases. According to Platinum, since Nintendo is the publisher of those two games, fans will just have to redirect their requests and hope against hope that Nintendo obliges.

"Nintendo are the ones kind enough to fund and publish our The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 projects," explains Hideki Kamiya, a director and supervisor at Platinum. He reminds fans that Platinum Games is a developer, and that the decision to publish (or not publish) on any given platform rests in the hands of the publisher. Furthermore, Kamiya reminds fans that they are basically asking for Nintendo to publish its own games on rival platforms, which might not be the best strategy. Still, he urges fans to take matters up with the Big N itself: "Please go ask them, not us."

After the fracas with Rayman Legends going multiplatform, fans have learned to never say never when Wii U ports to other consoles are concerned. Still, Nintendo slapping its name on PS3 and 360 games doesn't seem incredibly likely. Perhaps they could outsource it to a third-party publisher, or Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 might just be on Wii U to stay.

Source: Joystiq

It would set an interesting precedent if Nintendo did say yes. (I seriously doubt that they're going to.) See, I do love Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros... but not enough to buy a console for them. Nintendo consoles historically do not get excellent third party support, and I don't want to subscribe to 'just' Nintendo. (And I can only afford one console.)

And on a related topic, I can guarantee that Zelda on Xbox or Playstation would sell. Like cupcakes.

Good to see they're standing up for themselves. As a PC gamer, I can respect their position, and I'll continue to tell the people shouting "BETRAYAL" to get over themselves.

Soviet Heavy:
Good to see they're standing up for themselves. As a PC gamer, I can respect their position, and I'll continue to tell the people shouting "BETRAYAL" to get over themselves.

I had to.

I'm in the camp of "This game would not exist if not for Nintendo". So yes, go ask Nintendo.

This would require a lot of shouting,we need the rabid fanbase for that and someone cheeky to insert the idea of a "timed" exclusive,for example what harm would it do to have a surprise port of Bayonetta 2 for the next Sony/MS consoles,which will come much much later down the line.And porting it to PC would be nice...we have USB ports for controllers you know,all we require is a stable port,all the graphic options which can make full use of gaming hardware.This and the PC market doesn't really compete with Nintendo.
Alas these are but dreams for Nintendo have mostly isolated themselves from the rest of the industry and just living on their niche market.

That would be the day, when I start up my Sony/Microsoft console and would be greeted by the Nintendo logo.
It Would be cool, but I have a hard time believing that N would actually do that.

What's that? You say the developer launching a new consol wants to have an exclusive title from an established franchise for it? HOW UNEXPECTED!

blackdwarf:
That would be the day, when I start up my Sony/Microsoft console and would be greeted by the Nintendo logo.
It Would be cool, but I have a hard time believing that N would actually do that.

One day I'll boot up my Dreamcast 2 and be greated a MicroSoNintendy logo and it'll then flow into Metroid x Halo x Helghast.

And one that day all evils shall be forgotten.

People's shouting didn't get me Mother 3. Just sayin'

Doesn't it make sense on some level? People who have a Wii U and want Bayonetta II will obviously buy it for the Wii U, not many people that want Bayonetta will want to buy a Wii U for it. Therefore if Nintendo sold it on another platform they are going to make more profit on the game as more consumers will have access to it.

Its a win-win for everyone, the fans get Bayonetta 2 across whatever platform they own and Nintendo makes more $$.

Well, P* is right on one thing. The fans should direct their ire towards Nintendo and not them.

Trust me, I know how much it hurts knowing this game is coming only to a console which I won't be getting any time soon. Especially when that game is a sequel to one of my favorite games this generation.

But, it is an unfortunate fact of life that it was Nintendo who funded the game.

Translation: Please quit bitching.

Which, in all likelihood, is never going to happen.

Console exclusives in general are crap. Bayonetta is one of the few games that makes me want to buy one of the current-gen consoles, and I'm upset that to play both games I'd have to buy two consoles. I'm not mad, I just probably won't be buying a Wii U just to buy Bayonetta 2.

Even if Nintendo was willin to let this happen, how likely would it be that Microsoft and Sony would be onboard with it? They'd have to have serious reservations about Nintendos logo appearin on games for their system and you know that if Nintendo did let this happen they'd want their logo as prominent as possible on the box and on the game itself.

shintakie10:
Even if Nintendo was willin to let this happen, how likely would it be that Microsoft and Sony would be onboard with it? They'd have to have serious reservations about Nintendos logo appearin on games for their system and you know that if Nintendo did let this happen they'd want their logo as prominent as possible on the box and on the game itself.

Hmm thats interesting. I think they might accept just so they can weaken the Wii U though. The lineup is getting better, but if you aren't interested in Nintendo games or bad games, it still only has a couple of titles. In some respects Nintendo are less of a threat to them, because I think people are unlikely to go and buy a new console because of the increased brand loyalty it would cause, and EA for example haven't managed to win much respect for having their name plastered on all sorts of good games.

...it's a fun to problem to think about, but the chances of Nintendo giving up an exclusive they're publishing are probably similar to their chances of not releasing a new mario game, so I guess it'll only ever be hypothetical

I wish Big N would do PC ports - we're not a threat to you like MS and Sony! Promise! :)

After the initial WTF! moment of hearing Bayonetta 2 being exclusive on Wii U, I calmed down and came to my senses. I like to think that many of the other 'whiners' just needed to blow off some steam as well, and have come to the realization without Nintendo, this title would not exist. Anyway, I look forward to Bayonetta 2 and will probably pick up a Wii U once the game launches.

"I've got a fever, and the only cure is more salty tears."

Well, this and Monster Hunter is basically the reason I'm getting one of these things, so I can't complain. Many people can, it seems.

If you want the game to exist then you're going to have to buy it for the Wii U. It's as simple as that.

Originally all the games were made for Sega. Sega is fine with Multi Platform support.
Sega's been taking cuts so they don't fund Platinum anymore.

Nintendo desperately wanted to look mature and knew it needed the Bayonetta sequel to show it has the guts to allow Mature games and good 3rd party support. When they found out that Sega would no longer finance the games development they wrong Platinum a check to make sure the game gets made. Otherwise they'd have just made every attempt to make sure they were included.

Nintendo spent the money to have the game made. Nintendo is entitled to have it as an exclusive on their system. Don't like it? You don't have to buy the game. If your hate for Nintendo is so deep that you wont buy the game they PAID to have made then you can sit in the corner and pout.

Edit
And any public whining and crying about it will only convince Nintendo that there will be a noticeable sales bump when the game hits release because they're never releasing it on anything else as long as they live. Given they are a hundred year old company I wouldn't bet they'll die any time soon.

Raiyan 1.0:
I wish Big N would do PC ports - we're not a threat to you like MS and Sony! Promise! :)

But here's the thing, Sony and Microsoft basically shift weak closed system PC's these days while Nintendo sit around and offer a different product that does different things. There's room for different ways to experience things.

VinLAURiA:

SkarKrow:
One day I'll boot up my Dreamcast 2 and be greated a MicroSoNintendy logo and it'll then flow into Metroid x Halo x Helghast.

And one that day all evils shall be forgotten.

Pretty epic but it needs a Chimeran Hybrid or Joseph Capelli in there.

medv4380:
If you want the game to exist then you're going to have to buy it for the Wii U. It's as simple as that.

Originally all the games were made for Sega. Sega is fine with Multi Platform support.
Sega's been taking cuts so they don't fund Platinum anymore.

Nintendo desperately wanted to look mature and knew it needed the Bayonetta sequel to show it has the guts to allow Mature games and good 3rd party support. When they found out that Sega would no longer finance the games development they wrong Platinum a check to make sure the game gets made. Otherwise they'd have just made every attempt to make sure they were included.

Nintendo spent the money to have the game made. Nintendo is entitled to have it as an exclusive on their system. Don't like it? You don't have to buy the game. If your hate for Nintendo is so deep that you wont buy the game they PAID to have made then you can sit in the corner and pout.

Edit
And any public whining and crying about it will only convince Nintendo that there will be a noticeable sales bump when the game hits release because they're never releasing it on anything else as long as they live. Given they are a hundred year old company I wouldn't bet they'll die any time soon.

Wow, a semi-Nintendo thread that hasn't been jeffers/thread. He must be ill, but congrats on pretty much winning the thread.

Won't happen, Nintendo has teh publishing rights, whine to them and be laughed at by them for it.

1.N does not hold the rights to bayonetta to best of my knowledge
2.games that have been fully funded by nintendo have gone multiplatofrm(goldeneye reloaded comes to mind.since activision still held the rights).

Vivid Kazumi:
1.N does not hold the rights to bayonetta to best of my knowledge

They may not own the IP, but I have little doubt that if they're paying for development then they own the exclusive publishing rights for Bayonetta 2.

As for the folks wondering if they would publish it on other platforms, my guess would be no. If it did see a multiplatform release, my bet would be they'd cut a deal with another publisher to sell them the rights to publish the game on other platforms for a set royalty per sale, rather than do it themselves since Nintendo probably doesn't want their logo popping up in games on other consoles.

Either way, I don't see it as likely. I'd say the best chance it has of happening is if the game is not a financial success (which I honestly think it won't be on that console) and Nintendo wants to get as much money back from it as they can. But Nintendo are generally not hurting for cash so they could afford to say screw it to the whole idea and eat the loss instead just to make sure they keep an exclusive.

Mhee, I'll do the same that I did for dark souls, sing the petition for a PC port and buy it as promised when it's released.

Would like to play bayonetta 2 on my PC and to give the devs some money, but won't lose sleep over this.

I don't mind is fans try and petition Nintendo as long as they recognize as a starting point that they wouldn't even have Bayonetta 2 if Nintendo didn't foot the bill for Platinum games to still exist as a video game developer or at the very least for Bayonetta in an industry that is being badgered to be "realistic" in the sense of feminist ideals to actually have a place in the video game industry. Just remember that people still think the assassins that tried to kill Agent 47, a bio-engineered perfect human assassin, were actually nuns.

Nintendo should be like...ps3 and 360 can have Bayonetta if PS3/360 give them one of their exclusives.

Then the fan boys can go bother them instead. Hmmm let's see....uncharted and Halo?

A petition to Nintendo seems really silly.
'please port bayonetta because it's the one reason we were considering buying your console and then we won't have to'

The escapist news seems to be out of context.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/08/bayonetta-2-wonderful-101-on-other-platforms-is-up-to-nintendo/

"If" I read this original article correctly. All platinum games is saying is that nothing can be done about Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 on other consoles unless Nintendo says otherwise.

Kind of the complete opposite of the Escapist article saying that platinum games wants the games to go multiplatform.

People are still complaining about this? I figured this was last years news. Oh well.

To be honest, Bayo 2 is the only reason I would ever consider getting a Wii U.

That being said, I really hope that Ninty do the unthinkable and port it to the 360 at least... I need to have this game.

By the time Bayonetta 2 is out (probably not before Q4 this year, if this year at all) there'll probably be enough decent exclusives out to justify a Wii U anyway.

If you're so dead set against buying a Wii U that you'll forego the sequel to the best spectacle fighter there's ever been, you can at least get Metal Gear Rising.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here