Scientists Uncover Common Ancestor of All Mammals

Pages PREV 1 2

most common ancestor with other placental mammals

(Same deal over at NYT.)

The koala and echidna lobbies wish to have words with the headline writers' union.

In b4 Creat--

Oh wait.

Now, someone needs to find an awesome pic of AronRa, and caption it with TAXONOMY - It works, bitches.

If anyone finds this remotely interesting - apparently all of you :) - read a book called The Ancestor's Tale by Dawkins. It's a wonderful account of our evolution.

TakeyB0y2:
Well, we do medical testing on rats due to similar... Something. DNA? Anatomy? Someone correct my stupid brain.

Soooo, with that in mind, I guess it's not all that surprising.

Both correct, your mind was less stupid than it made you believe. Or maybe that was it's plan all along so you wouldn't suspect your brain of anything.

Anyway Linoone seems to be a good start for mammal life. Though I think it's more of a good appropriation.

TakeyB0y2:
Speaking seriously, though, this is very interesting. So, scientists, tell me something... You have just discovered the basis for all mammallian life on this planet. Can you now use that research as a common base towards the curing and prevention of deadly diseases? The universal benchmark as it were?

The universal benchmark for science is curing people?

I think you don't have it quite right. You see these are people doing research in fields that don't produce cures. Just like about 80% of all known fields of science, unless you consider stupidity a disease for which science is the cure 99.99% of the times.

I think I ran over one of those the other day.

Lookes like a possum. I approve. Possum grade ossim.

On a serious note, that is pretty cool. Oh, the things science can uncover.

Formica Archonis:

most common ancestor with other placental mammals

(Same deal over at NYT.)

The koala and echidna lobbies wish to have words with the headline writers' union.

Heh, beat me to it. Mind you, NYT seems to be going for "other mammals" rather than "all other mammals", looks like the Escapist got tripped up by an ambiguous phrase, rather than being deliberately deceptive this time.

At best, this is an educated guess based on lots of assumptions.

Of course, to think of them as right neglects the possibility of convergent evolution.

For those not familiar with the terminology, it's a term that says that similar traits don't all have to come from the same source.

Abomination:
Go science!

Now, where's the Creationist meatbag to decry this as an attack on his religion?

The thing is, as a Christian you accept that God is all powerful, why therefor could evolution not have happened? This annoys me.

The bible does not say how animals were created, does not give much info on creation at all. Why not the big bang and evolution? #rant

Evil Smurf:

Abomination:
Go science!

Now, where's the Creationist meatbag to decry this as an attack on his religion?

The thing is, as a Christian you accept that God is all powerful, why therefor could evolution not have happened? This annoys me.

The bible does not say how animals were created, does not give much info on creation at all. Why not the big bang and evolution? #rant

Because Genesis says that God created animals on one day, all at once and then made man on the next day. Then 6000 years later it's today.

Also, not all Christians are Creationists. It's usually the fundies who get all up in arms about it.

Abomination:
Because Genesis says that God created animals on one day, all at once and then made man on the next day. Then 6000 years later it's today.

Also, not all Christians are Creationists. It's usually the fundies who get all up in arms about it.

No, while I am a Christian I don't deny science. Genesis is written like a poem and was written to the Israelites who where not overly scientific so writing science to them does not make sense.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here