Buzz Aldrin Approves a Space Agency Videogame

Buzz Aldrin Approves a Space Agency Videogame

Soon players can control a virtual space program from the Cold War right to the Mars Landing.

Buzz Aldrin is one of those figures who will rarely need any introduction. Although well-versed in mechanical engineering and fighter jets, Aldrin is more widely recognized as an astronaut and the second man to set foot on the moon. Now Aldrin is trying his hand at videogame consultation of all things, bringing his name and expertise to Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager. Set to launch this summer, the game will simulate the inner-workings of an entire space agency, all of which which the player is responsible for developing.

Space Program Manager puts you in charge of a fledgling space agency seeking to start a manned exploration program. Starting from the 1950s onward, the player is responsible for developing the facilities, personnel, and research initiatives that will one day allow humanity to takes its place among the stars. Aldrin is consulting with developer Matrix Games to ensure the title's accuracy and authenticity, presumably from a historical and scientific perspective.

The Director's career isn't quite as glamorous as we may imagine an astronaut's to be, but its bureaucratic details are ones that NASA administrators address on a daily basis. Space Program Manager's sandbox mode will let you leisurely manage your agency and its finances, while the campaign mode introduces short-term political goals that must be met to keep your job. Both modes will also simulate historical NASA missions, including many that never launched or were halted during the planning stages. A total of three episodes are planned, starting with Road to the Moon this summer and culminating in a player-orchestrated mission to Mars.

The finished game runs the risk of being an overly technical space sim, but in terms of representing how agencies like NASA operate, Space Program Manager could be highly effective. Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is set to launch on June 15, 2013 for PC, Mac, and iPad platforms.

This is something that looks like it could be a hit with the space fanatic folk. (nothing wrong with being fanatic)

Gosh darn videogames! Turning our kids into astronauts!

YES! i cant wait for this :D

you have made me very happy now

I'm not going to lie. This looks like fun. It will be too bad all of our Space programs will end up better than the real US one.

interesting, if i hear good stuff, just might have to get it.

could easily see this becoming a requirement for space based classes to use as a tool (not astronomy, but any high level mechanical engineering or aeronautical type class perhaps.)

There better be a minigame with Buzz Aldrin punching moon landing deniers

RhombusHatesYou:

thats a day one dlc i would whole heartedly support

Cool, though I doubt it will be more fun that Kerbal Space Program. =P

wombat_of_war:
YES! i cant wait for this :D

you have made me very happy now

if you cant wait for it, you should probably support the game that this game is trying to copy:

Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program (commonly abbreviated as KSP) is a beta-stage sandbox-style space flight simulator game, currently in development for Windows and Mac OS X. Players assume the role of commanding many aspects of the Kerbal space agency including mission planning, rocket design, and space navigation and piloting. Kerbal Space Program supports game mods and currently has an active modding community.

ccording to the game's website, several features are planned for KSP in the future:[6]
Space program economic management, with the 1993 space simulation game Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space as an acknowledged inspiration[citation needed]
Weather systems
Research and development
Astronaut complex
Interstellar travel
Additional planets
Discovery of other planets and solar systems
Solar flares/radiation and other dangers
Transferring game over to Unity 4 Engine
The game is currently in the alpha stage of development, with the current software being only a very small approximation of the final product. The current game can be purchased through the developer's 'Kerbal Space Program Store' at a cost of US $23.00. Version 0.13 will remain free as a demo, and will never be updated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerbal_Space_Program
---------------------------------------------------
to OT: just another copy cat with a name to sell.

If it's anything like this, then I'm aeiou.

Will there be DLC where you have to fight increasingly harsh budget cuts as America becomes less anamoured with space?

BUZZ 0_0
Wait.......ohh now I'm sad It's not buzz :(

Wow, who saw Buzz Aldrin attaching his name to a space race game. Again, twenty years later.

Looks really cool actually! Looking forward to it:)

DVS BSTrD:
Gosh darn videogames! Turning our kids into astronauts!

It's these video games that are responsible for injuries done by bottle rockets and fireworks, don't you know?

MetalGenocide:
If it's anything like this, then I'm aeiou.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Mars: Now with 100% more

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. This sounds awesome. I so wanna do this.

RhombusHatesYou:

Agreed.

On topic, I'd buy something like this if they make it interesting and actually do a good job of weaving the history into the game. I've not played too many educational games that were very good, but the good ones I have played I really enjoyed.

It won't be as much fun without Kerbals...

rhizhim:
SNIP

Listen, I love KSP as much as the next guy, but by the sound of this, Space Manager will be more focused on the economic/political details, while KSP is more focused on the actual details of space flight.

Gentleman Adventurer:
I'm not going to lie. This looks like fun. It will be too bad all of our Space programs will end up better than the real US one.

Too bad it must be NASA rather than letting players use one of the others or make their own. Hopefully the sandbox will allow us :-)

Hello all,

I'm Ignacio, the Lead Developer behind Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager. It's good to see an overall positive reaction to this project. The game started as a solo project back in 2007 and I never imagined it would get this far, less alone that I would met Dr. Aldrin in person because of it! If you liked the original Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space, I'm sure you'll love Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager as well :)

Feel free to post your questions about the game in the newly opened sub-forum on Slitherine's website: http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=226&sid=14ddb013b554b9f039a7e3c18efb2b90

Please, PLEASE put in text to speech like in Moonbase Alpha. That game man, that game was really funny for that one single reason.

Quesa:
Wow, who saw Buzz Aldrin attaching his name to a space race game. Again, twenty years later.

Dammit, Ninja'd! I loved that game though, and I'll be watching this one with interest.

Quesa:

THANK YOU! I Was coming here specifically to post that exact thing. I loved that game so much as a kid so It'll be oool to see it updated and expanded, which honestly is all it looks like and all I want!

Good to see they're remaking Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space. I loved that game back in the day!

I already have Kerbal Space Program. What makes this different or better?

Lets hope they don't put multiplayer or text-to-speech in it. Lest we have another Moonbase Alpha.

Thank you for the kind words!

BaronUberstein:

To be honest, I haven't player Kerbal Space Program myself but, from what I could see on their webpage, it seems that the focus on KSP is on actually building and flying ships whereas on Space Program Manager the focus is on the management of the space agency itself (e.g., opening programs, recruiting and managing personnel, allocating R&D efforts, scheduling and launching missions, sticking to deadlines imposed by the nations that own the space agency, etc). We also try to be heavy on the educational aspect, so you'll get lots of historical facts that put the missions and programs featured in the game in a historical context (but without turning it into "edutainment").

All in all, if you played BARIS and would like to play an HD version of it featuring more breadth and depth of programs, then you'll definitely need to check out Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager when it gets released!

MrMan999:
Lets hope they don't put multiplayer or text-to-speech in it. Lest we have another Moonbase Alpha.

Don't worry, we're not planning to include any of those features!

Nacho:
Thank you for the kind words!

BaronUberstein:

To be honest, I haven't player Kerbal Space Program myself but, from what I could see on their webpage, it seems that the focus on KSP is on actually building and flying ships whereas on Space Program Manager the focus is on the management of the space agency itself (e.g., opening programs, recruiting and managing personnel, allocating R&D efforts, scheduling and launching missions, sticking to deadlines imposed by the nations that own the space agency, etc). We also try to be heavy on the educational aspect, so you'll get lots of historical facts that put the missions and programs featured in the game in a historical context (but without turning it into "edutainment").

All in all, if you played BARIS and would like to play an HD version of it featuring more breadth and depth of programs, then you'll definitely need to check out Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager when it gets released!

MrMan999:

Don't worry, we're not planning to include any of those features!

Ah, okay. Well, glad it's differentiating itself, though I'll admit that a management simulator doesn't sound like my kind of game. <_<

EDIT: I realize my comment makes me sound like an arse!

To clarify, I hope this game does well, and anything that gets more people to support space travel is something I support. :D

BaronUberstein:
[EDIT: I realize my comment makes me sound like an arse!

To clarify, I hope this game does well, and anything that gets more people to support space travel is something I support. :D

No worries, no offense taken! Hopefully you'll give the game a chance once it gets released ;)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here