Dead Space 3 Resource Exploit "Not a Glitch", Says EA

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Iceklimber:

VanQQisH:
W-we never actually wanted your money, anyway! W-we totally put this in the game on purpose so you could circumvent our microtransactions. Really guys, believe us! We're the good guys!

Yeah, what a load of bullshit.

The only BS here is your comment: It is based on literally nothing. No one ever claimed that they accidentally put it in. There are multiple places in
DS1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjVKyIEqJI

and DS2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0ksWTjgrI

Where people have access to infinite resources if they only look for it, and so is DS3.
I don't rule out the possibility that the first 2 games had these on purpose and the third by accident but there is no base that would suggest it other than random forum posters who list no sources.

I'm not the type to use cheats or look for them so I had no idea such a thing existed. You have to admit though, it's pretty sleezy to make your cheats require so much effort then add in paid cheats that are more or less equivalent to typing "Show me the money" like in the old days except now the cheat code is your credit card number.

Shit sucks in my opinion, but if people are willing to pay for cheats then power to them.

Frankster:
snip

I was so confused as to why I had three quotes. Anyways Thank you for responding and explaining your point even better. I do appreciate it. And I agree it would be disastrous PR move if they had broken out the banhammer. I also mostly agree with you on why they did it. I'm just a little more on the forgiving and trusting side of things. I was glad to have this conversation with you. Nice to meet someone that doesn't just tear into me about every single little point without properly explaining their side of the argument and just reposting what they have already said in the same way.

VanQQisH:
W-we never actually wanted your money, anyway! W-we totally put this in the game on purpose so you could circumvent our microtransactions. Really guys, believe us! We're the good guys!

Yeah, what a load of bullshit. An exploit was found by players and used by them because they were mad about your shitty DLC policies. And you won't ban the people that bought your game because you need them to say to other people that they thought the game was good so others can buy it so you can recoup your 5 million copy investment. Lying to us about it isn't going to save you any face.

Even if this is true, what kind of shitty design philosophy is it to build a game with resource management and then give the player infinite resources? That's fucking stupid and you know it.

seems about right, but it looks like the shock collar we put on EA is finally starting to reign in their PR a bit...

this isn't the fact this is JUST ea, i'd call bullshit on this if it was just about anyone else too, but it being EA and their shitty pr/business decisions in the past only help fuel that.

Why people yelling 'IT'S A LIE' have no idea what they're talking about:

The microtransactions, that can be bought with ingame currency as well, also give unique weapon parts that have slightly better stats and a gold finish. So you can't 'circumvent' the DLC by gathering infinite resources.

Both of the other Dead Space games had spots where you could farm resources ad infinitum.

Aaaand the other point, which is...it takes 15-20~ seconds to do the 'exploit' that gives you a single random resource. You can get a lot more than that by just playing the game normally. Alternatively, start in chapter 7(?) and just run through the Waystation. Loadsaresources each time you do it. Or you can just go through chapter 1 and get drowned in ammo and health. The moment they add chapter select into a game, grinding becomes far too easy for words.

Someone should make a meme out of EA.

'Says it's not a glitch....PATCHES IT ANYWAY'

Good on them for keeping it in instead of removing it, penalizing people who used it, and yelling that we should be giving them more money.

I think a lot of people seem to misunderstand what EA is doing here with their microtransactions. Maybe I can summarize.

Dead Space 3 has implemented a new game mechanic. CRAFTING. You collect RESOURCES to build and purchase new weapon combinations. It's innovative. It's fun.

Collecting RESOURCES is a GRIND. Lot's of games have a GRIND. Final Fantasy VII had a GRIND for example. Many games give you something to do and a reward to work toward. Chasing a carrot on a stick can be fun.

EA has MONETIZED the GRIND in Dead Space 3. You can GRIND for RESOURCES if you want to, or you can pay $2.99 to get your resources RIGHT NOW. What does this mean? EA has created a FINANCIAL INCENTIVE for itself to make their games MORE FRUSTRATING. They have an INCENTIVE to make this game as FRUSTRATING as they can without ruining the game outright.

You can FARM for RESOURCES in some areas of the game. This isn't an EXPLOIT. It's not a CHEAT. You are repeating a monotonous task to get all the RESOURCES you want without having to pay for them. You are weighing the benefits of WASTING YOUR TIME or SPENDING YOUR MONEY. This is the foundation of this business model.

Many Free-To-Play games are monetized this way. The game is free, but you can unlock things faster if you pay. I personally hate games like that. They MONETIZE player FRUSTRATION. They create a PROBLEM and sell you the SOLUTION. Sell me whatever you want EA, but just don't do this. Anything but this.

Not all Free-To-Play are monetized this way. Dota 2 for example. All purchasable items are cosmetic. You can buy a cool hat, but you can't pay money to skip ahead to the good part. This is a much better microtransaction to live with. Perhaps there is hope for the future. I hope so.

Even if the game isn't horribly broken, I don't quite trust it anymore. Am I having fun right now, or am I just a chump running on some hamster wheel? Bringing money into it taints everything. This is why magazines keep their advertising and editorial departments in different parts of the building. Conflicts of interest start to arise.

EA will NICKEL-AND-DIME you for as much as you can TOLERATE. They are searching for the perfect sweet spot between

MAKING A GREAT GAME

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/02/06/ea-wins-top-publisher-honors-at-metacritic/

and SCREWING YOU OVER

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/09/why-ea-won-the-worst-company-in-america-award/.

EA is not EVIL. They are just EVIL ENOUGH... Which is actually a lot MORE EVIL when you think about it.

Dead Space 3 is pretty beautiful BTW :P

VanQQisH:

You just made EA sound cute and tsundere there...damn you...damn youuuuu...now I'll never be able to be mad at EA ever again without thinking that she loves me secretly...>_<

Dustin Matheny:
I think a lot of people seem to misunderstand what EA is doing here with their microtransactions. Maybe I can summarize.

Dead Space 3 has implemented a new game mechanic. CRAFTING. You collect RESOURCES to build and purchase new weapon combinations. It's innovative. It's fun.

Collecting RESOURCES is a GRIND. Lot's of games have a GRIND. Final Fantasy VII had a GRIND for example. Many games give you something to do and a reward to work toward. Chasing a carrot on a stick can be fun.

EA has MONETIZED the GRIND in Dead Space 3. You can GRIND for RESOURCES if you want to, or you can pay $2.99 to get your resources RIGHT NOW. What does this mean? EA has created a FINANCIAL INCENTIVE for itself to make their games MORE FRUSTRATING. They have an INCENTIVE to make this game as FRUSTRATING as they can without ruining the game outright.

You can FARM for RESOURCES in some areas of the game. This isn't an EXPLOIT. It's not a CHEAT. You are repeating a monotonous task to get all the RESOURCES you want without having to pay for them. You are weighing the benefits of WASTING YOUR TIME or SPENDING YOUR MONEY. This is the foundation of this business model.

Many Free-To-Play games are monetized this way. The game is free, but you can unlock things faster if you pay. I personally hate games like that. They MONETIZE player FRUSTRATION. They create a PROBLEM and sell you the SOLUTION. Sell me whatever you want EA, but just don't do this. Anything but this.

Not all Free-To-Play are monetized this way. Dota 2 for example. All purchasable items are cosmetic. You can buy a cool hat, but you can't pay money to skip ahead to the good part. This is a much better microtransaction to live with. Perhaps there is hope for the future. I hope so.

Even if the game isn't horribly broken, I don't quite trust it anymore. Am I having fun right now, or am I just a chump running on some hamster wheel? Bringing money into it taints everything. This is why magazines keep their advertising and editorial departments in different parts of the building. Conflicts of interest start to arise.

EA will NICKEL-AND-DIME you for as much as you can TOLERATE. They are searching for the perfect sweet spot between

MAKING A GREAT GAME

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/02/06/ea-wins-top-publisher-honors-at-metacritic/

and SCREWING YOU OVER

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/09/why-ea-won-the-worst-company-in-america-award/.

EA is not EVIL. They are just EVIL ENOUGH... Which is actually a lot MORE EVIL when you think about it.

Dead Space 3 is pretty beautiful BTW :P

You do know that you can purchase the resource packs with in-game currency right(ration seals)?

Frostbite3789:

Revolutionary:
snip

I guess being able to buy champs in LoL with IP is a glitch. Why would they allow you a way to get champs with free currency but also include a method to pay for them with real money?

Dat logic.

I don't think that's what he meant. Of course you have to have a way get the resources for free or else people would complain the game is incomplete. However, I think he's trying to point out how unlikely it is that a company would input a system that just allows you to gather unlimited quantities of an item in comparatively less time.

So its not exactly the same as buying champs in LoL (which is already dumb btw), by normal means since you're still farming the currency up slowly. It be more like in LoL a glitch existed where you could enter a game and leave 2 minutes after and still gain the full IP.

VitusPrime:
I like it how people are instantly lunging towards the 'This is clearly a lie' route of thinking. We all know EA want as much money as they can drain from our wallets, so here is what I'm thinking...

...What if it -was- intentional?

If EA weren't idiots, they could very well be doing this to see what lengths people are willing to go to get around having to make further purchases. I bet it cost them maybe half a day's work to implement the micro-transactions and this little 'exploit' they just so happened to put in.

TLDR - If this was intentional, your now EA's lab rat. Have fun with that. :)

I wouldn't necessarily agree that it is intentional, but I think you may be right about them seeing what people are willing to do to avoid paying. They're going to see the exploit usage for farming vs regular farming and find the ratio that makes people want to buy resources but doesn't squeeze them for it like Tiger Woods 13 did. Either way, I will enjoy the exploit, thanks EA.

Meanwhile at the Reach mothership...

OT: Yeah, it's pretty obvious that this was a knee-jerk reaction to get some good press. Though I do have to admit that, as scuzzy as it is, this is the first legitimately intelligent thing EA has done in ages.

Dustin Matheny:

Not really. I actually managed up fully upgrade my weapons and RIG faster in 3 than in 1 and 2, despite not buying any of the resource packs or even doing half of the available optional missions.

kiri2tsubasa:

You do know that you can purchase the resource packs with in-game currency right(ration seals)?

You can unlock everything from just playing the game. Of course you can, that's the whole point of the thing. I've read a few discussions about the microtransactions in Dead Space 3. I've heard the argument more than once "If you don't want to buy the resource packs, then don't buy them. Nobody is twisting your arm!"

I would argue that your arm IS being twisted.

What is the difference between these resource packs, and cheat codes in any other game? You could put in a code during Dead Space 1 to unlock a first Aid kit, or to instantly have 10,000 credits, etc. When the cheat codes are free, EA has no INCENTIVE to make the game more frustrating. They have an incentive to make the game perfect the first time. EA has created a situation where it is in their best interest to perhaps be a bit more stingy with credits, and make you itch for that cheat code that they used to give away for free.

I would argue that things are not moving in a positive direction.

Edit: Also i would argue that EA has almost no intention to REALLY screw over players with Dead Space 3. This is just an experiment for NEXT TIME. If the resource packs are a wild success, expect them to be in every game going forward. So I'd like to get all of my complaining out there right now. I'd like to encourage EA to screw over their customers less.

I like Dead Space :(

Dustin Matheny:
*snip*

So, GRINDING is evil? Hah.
It's all a question of balancing. They offer you the option to spend MONEY instead of TIME. You do the math and see how long you have to GRIND in order to get what you want.
If the game's balanced, it should be something that is doable. In other words: not spending at least 10 hours in order to get anything at all, like many Free-To-Pay games.
Also, grinding could be something fun in itself: go smash thousands of enemies, something you'd do even without any kind of compensation.

Grinding isn't evil. Grinding can be fun. Borderlands 2 is nothing but a grind and it's brilliant! Creating a problem and selling me a solution is evil. If someone threw me down a well and offered to sell me a ladder to climb out of it faster, should I thank them for it? They'd probably give me a really great deal on the ladder too!

Cheat codes used to be free. And now cheat codes aren't cheat codes anymore. They are something else...

It's just hilarious. In a really, -really- sad way. If EA had removed this, people would be crying bloody murder about how they're removing the respawning nodes just to maximize their microtransaction profits. Now that they're actually doing something nice and aren't removing it, people are still crying bloody murder because they're lying.

Who cares if they're lying? They did something right for the players, and people are still complaining. Just unbelieveably petty, guys.

Could this be a lie? Sure. They could have left a glitch to save face, calling it a feature. However, I am uneasy about saying that EA would worry so much about customer perception of quality that they would sacrifice a revenue stream in the process. EA has a lot of problems, but not utilizing a way to make money is not one of them. And on top of it, mistake or not, this is good, and reflects a more responsible use of micro transactions. I'm not sold on the idea of Microtransactions for Dead Space as a whole, but a major hallmark of good micro transactions is that the stuff available for sale is either cosmetic only, or available through normal play with some amount of investment of time or energy. Its why Team Fortress 2 is such a successful microtransaction scheme. It seems petty to immediately assume that EA had an accident when they did something right.

Karathos:
It's just hilarious. In a really, -really- sad way. If EA had removed this, people would be crying bloody murder about how they're removing the respawning nodes just to maximize their microtransaction profits. Now that they're actually doing something nice and aren't removing it, people are still crying bloody murder because they're lying.

Who cares if they're lying? They did something right for the players, and people are still complaining. Just unbelieveably petty, guys.

Except that we don't actually know if it was "for the players" or not.

Oh sure, it benefits the players, absolutely. But that doesn't mean they're choosing to leave it in there because they love their players oh so much. It may just be too expensive to issue a patch just for something that small, especially since the game is still pretty new and they themselves said they need to sell 5 million copies to recoup their initial investment costs. Not likely to spend lots of money patching a game that's currently running at a financial loss to you unless you're a very kind hearted company, and we all know that EA is not.

Let's wait until the inevitable large-scale patches and DLC content. See if, after those patches/DLC are installed, the exploit is still there, or if it has somehow "magically disappeared" (conveniently, once the press has died down). If the former, okay, they've earned a bit of credit. If the latter, they've fooled you and everyone that was defending them, and since some of you don't even plan to follow this game in the future, you'll never even know they did it.

As for me? I've seen them ruin too many good things to assume that they have anything resembling a gamer's best interests at heart. They've gotta earn that trust back.

I guess people who actually paid additional money feel pretty silly now. Well, except if they didn't want to bother farming that room. Or is it really late in the game?

Team Fortress 2 does have a decent microtransaction scheme. And the fact that other players can make things and sell them too, it's hard to call it a scam isn't it? The fact that Team Fortress 2 is free makes a huge difference. You've got to buy a LOT of stuff to add up to $60.00. But I already paid up front for Dead Space 3, yet I still have to put up with an in-game store too! I would just say, DON'T make me PAY to FIX a broken game. SELL me STUFF to make a good game BETTER.

Adam Jensen:
I don't for a second believe that they aren't butthurt by this. It took them a while to respond for a reason. But I'm glad this is the response they decided to go with. Mostly because I predicted that they would, and I like being right. But also because it means that they aren't completely detached from reality. Which is good.

We'll see how honest they were with this response in their next shooter with micro transactions.

Aeonknight:
It's OPTIONAL.

For now. Seriously, were you living under a rock for the past several years? Companies add those "optional" things in order to gain more money. When that fails they make optional into something you have to buy if you want to have it. It happened with cheats in some games. It happened with alternate outfits, skins and weapons that were once unlockables for completing challenges. It even happened with characters in fighting games.

This, so much this.

You know, we used to not have to pay money for more map packs. They used to be patches or software that would come with the game. Now, a measly two maps can cost up to 1/4th of the amount of the ENTIRE GAME!

I don't think we should boycott EA because of one game's mistakes, but we should be careful before we encourage more use of micro-transactions.

Oh god that's a lie if I've ever seen one. But good on em for not patching it out and owning up to it.. even if it was supposed to be there all along.

Wonder how long till they change their tune and decides it exploit then ban every Origin user who used it and patch it out of all three versions. Or better yet, patch in a lock on that door that can only be opened via a DLC key.

By the explanation quoted from EA, it seems like whoever gave the response doesn't even understand the exploit in question.
The question is "Is this exploit/glitch for resources legit?"
EA sees it as "Is grinding singleplayer for resources legit?"

They answered a question that was never asked.

Skeleon:
I guess people who actually paid additional money feel pretty silly now. Well, except if they didn't want to bother farming that room. Or is it really late in the game?

It's chapter 8, so less than halfway through. But Chapter 1 drowns you in ammo and health, and chapter 7 drowns you in resources. The game has a chapter select feature. People who paid for the resources should feel silly anyway, because at no point do you ever need the additional resources.

Okay. If that continues to be the case, and they don't "patch it out"- good for them, I'd see that as a hopeful sign.

....ok now I'm just confused. They wanted our money, but they put in a grindable place so we wouldn't have to give them our money...my head hurts. Oh well, back to the grind.

Aeonknight:

VanQQisH:

Yeah, what a load of bullshit. An exploit was found by players and used by them because they were mad about your shitty DLC policies. And you won't ban the people that bought your game because you need them to say to other people that they thought the game was good so others can buy it so you can recoup your 5 million copy investment. Lying to us about it isn't going to save you any face.

Even if this is true, what kind of shitty design philosophy is it to build a game with resource management and then give the player infinite resources? That's fucking stupid and you know it.

Scavenger bots say hello.

If a player wanted to they could deploy scavenger bots regardless of whether or not you're at a resource cache, and still pull in some resources. It's usually something very minimal, like 5-15ish of each, but it's there.

It's incredibly inefficient compared to the shack, or just playing the game normally, but it's there. And it's presence as a game mechanic backs up EA's stance on the whole situation.

Sorry to burst your EVIL MANDATORY DLC PRACTICES bubble, but I'm kind of surprised that any developer that gives it's players options is suddenly treated as some super bad thing. If the player wants to pay for shortcuts to progress that can be acquired for free through other means, EA would be stupid for not wanting to take their money.

The funny part is how this is becoming a trend with other companies. Namco gave players the ability to purchase new game+ perks for the game Tales of Graces F, things like increased XP or increased ability points and such.

So does being able to replay any chapter or side mission. During the first optional mission I found a cache of 20 whole tungsten. So I replayed it (quite easily from the menu) and found 23 tungsten (which added to the original 20). I guess they plan on fixing this "exploit" as well judging from the responses

Karathos:

Like I said earlier EA could solve world hunger and bring about world peace, and people would still come on these forums and bitch about them in the news post about that.

It's absurd. It's at a point where they haven't made anyone this cynical, people just latch onto this because they know others will agree. It's a mob mentality. And this place is RAMPANT with that.

squid5580:
[quote="Aeonknight" post="7.400659.16474382"]

So does being able to replay any chapter or side mission. During the first optional mission I found a cache of 20 whole tungsten. So I replayed it (quite easily from the menu) and found 23 tungsten (which added to the original 20). I guess they plan on fixing this "exploit" as well judging from the responses

Did you even read the post? The point is they aren't changing it. It's staying in the game.

I don't think that even if it WAS always supposed to be delibrate, that it's good game design. Ideally, if you wanted to give a player a crafting system, you would scatter parts all over the map. That way, collecting them would go hand in hand with progressing the story. But because you can just go in a shack, exit, and come back in, you're breaking the story progression and just giving the player busywork.

Frostbite3789:

squid5580:

Did you even read the post? The point is they aren't changing it. It's staying in the game.

Did you read mine? Here is a hint. It is the last line. Are you so jaded you assume that someone who is agreeing with you is still out to get you?

squid5580:

Frostbite3789:

squid5580:

Did you read mine? Here is a hint. It is the last line. Are you so jaded you assume that someone who is agreeing with you is still out to get you?

I must be misreading it, because I still don't understand, in which case it's my reading comprehension that's at fault. It looks like you're saying they're going to fix the ability to collect these resources multiple times if you replay a mission. I'm apparently wrong. But that's how I'm reading it.

The amount of people trying soooooo haaaaaaaard to hate EA for this somehow, ANYhow, is absolutely hilarious.

Keep it up, guys! I still have tons of popcorn!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here