Rumor: System Shock 2 Coming to GOG

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: System Shock 2 Coming to GOG

A very interesting rumor going around claims that the great System Shock 2 is about to return.

I don't normally spend much time on rumors about this game or that coming to one service or another, but this is no ordinary rumor, and no ordinary game. System Shock 2 is famous not only because it's so amazingly good and influential - remember that this is the progenitor of the BioShock franchise we're talking about - but also because issues surrounding the rights to the IP, as detailed by G4, has meant that a true sequel, and even re-releases of System Shock 2, would likely never happen.

But the word on the street is that something has changed. Flesh Eating Zipper reports that a digital release of System Shock 2 is headed to GOG "within days," while a Steam release is also in the offing. The site claims that the "new" release is being put together by Night Dive Studios, which according to its Facebook page specializes in "finding classic, abandoned and forgotten PC games and bringing them back into the hands of gamers." The site also claims that the extra content in the GOG bundle, which typically includes soundtracks, art, forum icons and so forth, will be "well worth the price."

I cannot stress enough that this is an entirely unverified rumor, and neither GOG nor Night Dive have yet responded to inquiries, so don't get yourself too wound up about it. But if it is true, it will be a heck of a thing. We'll keep you posted.

Source: Flesh Eating Zipper, via GameSpy

This is the one game I wanted to get from GOG.

As I recall, the System Shock rights ended up in the hands of an insurance company, or the like, who were wanting some ridiculous amount of money up front to license it.

Last time I checked System Shock 2 was the most requested game not yet available on GOG, so if this is true it's great news. I have it installed on an older PC, but even then it's a bit hit and miss if it actually works so I'd love a version designed for compatibility with modern systems.

I do wonder a bit if it'll retain its legendary reputation once more modern gamers get to play it. I've found it to be brutally hard, even by the less forgiving standards of late 90s gaming.

Please be real. Please be real. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET THIS HAPPEN!!!!!

I'm ready to hear that it isn't real though.

Sixcess:
Last time I checked System Shock 2 was the most requested game not yet available on GOG, so if this is true it's great news. I have it installed on an older PC, but even then it's a bit hit and miss if it actually works so I'd love a version designed for compatibility with modern systems.

I do wonder a bit if it'll retain its legendary reputation once more modern gamers get to play it. I've found it to be brutally hard, even by the less forgiving standards of late 90s gaming.

It's actually the most requested game on GoG PERIOD, and has been since day one.

Starke:
As I recall, the System Shock rights ended up in the hands of an insurance company, or the like, who were wanting some ridiculous amount of money up front to license it.

Not only did they want a lot of money but they wanted to keep the rights to the ip and wanted a significant cut of the profits, and since ea owns the trademark meant that no developer could afford it and no publisher would touch it. If these guys actually got a hold of this for a re release I'd like to know how they did it.

I remember it being officially abandoned and made free. I remember links to download it on the official TTLG forums. Although if they find a way to make it work properly (with videos and music working), I guess it might be worth a couple of bucks.

If you will excuse me, everyone, I have money I need to throw against my monitor.

PS: When will we get a GOG release of Homeworld? I desperately need this to happen immediately!

Doom972:
I remember it being officially abandoned and made free. I remember links to download it on the official TTLG forums. Although if they find a way to make it work properly (with videos and music working), I guess it might be worth a couple of bucks.

I referee you this post on TTLG fourms
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65259

ratix2:
[quote="Sixcess" post="7.400773.16484797"]
Not only did they want a lot of money but they wanted to keep the rights to the ip and wanted a significant cut of the profits, and since ea owns the trademark meant that no developer could afford it and no publisher would touch it. If these guys actually got a hold of this for a re release I'd like to know how they did it.

My guess is that they EA and the insurance company split the revenue down the middle for the sales and as a way of gauging demand for system shock.

It'll be great for people to finally have a legitimate way to play this game. I got lucky and found an Australian copy before stock ran out completely, but I would probably get a GoG version too if it were offered.

I really, really hope this is true. System Shock 2 is one of those games I've really wanted to play, but haven't been able to for a variety of reasons. If this happens, I would so buy it.

Argh, rumors like this drive me mad....now I'm gonna spend weeks hoping it turns out to be true...

Maybe when more people actually play it, we'll get to stop hearing about how great it is...?

(Sorry. I'm the heretic who thinks the game- while admittedly having some good points- is vastly over-rated as a whole.)

i though system shock 2 was ano-go? currently owned by a small law firm unwilling to give the licence out unless someone was willing to pay ludicrous (not the rapper) amount of money?

Please, let this be true...
I already have SS2 (one of my favorite games of all time), but an easy, affordable, legal (or at least not in a legal gray-area), and quick way for people to get their hands on it could mean quite a lot. More people need to play SS2. They need to.
Please let this be real...

Ah Looking Glass studios. Your perfect storm of game development is reflected in only the best of today's games. I hope one day to see a studio create so many savory products again.

I've wanted to play System Shock ever since I found out that it was Bioshock's spiritual successor. So please be true rumor, please be true.

And please, for the love of god, make it play on Windows 8!

Callate:
Maybe when more people actually play it, we'll get to stop hearing about how great it is...?

(Sorry. I'm the heretic who thinks the game- while admittedly having some good points- is vastly over-rated as a whole.)

Ah good. There are some of these. While SS2 is one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion, there are lots of reasons to dislike it.

Flavor and graphics age aside, the gameplay is rather harsh. Resources are rather restricted and inventory space is limited. The more firepower you carry, the more vulnerable you will be to damage. No resource regeneration here either. Damage lasts until healed with items.

There are a ridiculous number of progression paths in this game, many of which have their own subsystems to learn. While most paths work, some are MUCH better than others. While the tutorial does a great job at introducing you to the base mechanics, there are a huge number of other mechanics that you might not even know about until the game points them out to you as part of a puzzle. Further, all puzzles in the game appear through menus that only block a small portion of the screen. Hacking, repairing, upgrading all need to be done in real time, possibly while being shot at or as other things are happening. There are even some health related subsystems that are never properly explained, you just have to figure them out.

While not the "qwop" that SS1 was, the controls have a tendency to be complicated as well, featuring running, walking, sneaking, crouching, jumping, climbing, mantling, and leaning. Modern fps's tend to eschew many of these mechanics in favor of a simplified control scheme that won't accidentally kill a player.

The story can be a little dead at times. Told mostly through the audiologs and emails you find around the ships, with the occasional call from your boss, you don't have any real interaction with non-enemy characters. Most of these are pretty short and directly related to things you find in-game, but a few are just fluff.

The game also has a tendency to drag out a bit. Its almost twice the length of more recent releases, and takes some pretty crazy turns wrapped up with a really ???? ending.

While not up to the standards of some of today's games, I at least appreciate these faults and find that they make the experience that much more fun.

Never been able to play it. Hope it works :D

Farthing:
Ah good. There are some of these. While SS2 is one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion, there are lots of reasons to dislike it.

I don't really want to be the one to bring this up, but you do realize that you're complaining that the game is challenging, complex, varied and substantial, right?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I found the original box in my attic the other week. What a masterpiece!

I remember when BioShock came and people talked about how you could play the game in different ways. Bullexcrement! SS2 had proper play style choices, BioShock didn't.

there's also an hint of that that appear on gog itself last year

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sid_meiers_colonization

look the names of the cities in the screenshots

but of course none of those games have made it so far, so could be nothing

I hope this rumor is true ever since I heard about this game I have wanted to play it.

Oh, please, please, please, I want to play this game again. It's been on the GOG community wishlist since... pretty much forever. I so hope this is true...
I love this game. The audiologs, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the scrounging for resources...
The graphics may suck (specifically for organic things; it's alright for mechanical things), but who cares?

Andy Chalk:

Farthing:

I don't really want to be the one to bring this up, but you do realize that you're complaining that the game is challenging, complex, varied and substantial, right?

Or taxing, over-complicated, unfocused and padded...

Now, before I get pilloried- as I said, there are things to be said for the game, and if nothing else, I'm glad that some aspects of it went on to be used in other (*cough* better *cough*) games. The game as taken isn't a bad game at all, and it would be downright hypocritical of me to lambaste modern developers for not taking chances in their array of sequels and franchises and simultaneously criticize a game like SS2 for taking those chances.

But, frankly- some of the choices made in that game were really, really poor. My personal highlight being that making a player have to go back and forth through segments of the station multiple times to do grunt work while dealing with an infinite enemy respawn and a finite resource pool was punishing. Not in a "survival horror" way, not in a "I need to utilize my resources better" kind of way, not in a "The game is challenging me to re-examine how I'm approaching this" kind of way.

Not in any kind of fun way. Just in a "For @#%#'s sake, when does it end" kind of a way. I strongly feel that games shouldn't punish you for exploring, or make your successes trivial or tedious.

Some criticize Bioshock for the Vita Chambers and the possibly infinitely forgiving pool of lives they provided, but System Shock 2 showed why that was necessary: they charged players for every respawn- and every attempt to pick a lock, and every repair for the constantly degenerating weapons, etc. etc.- and close to the end of the game, it's clear that the developers didn't have a damn clue what kind of resources the player would have on hand.

So then they made them fight an enemy who it was suicide to take on without a projectile weapon.

...Yeah.

So, yes, it did some remarkable things for its time, and it was a stepping stone for a lot of great titles up the road. But quite frankly, in some ways I'm glad it didn't sell all that well in its time, because if it had, developers would be straight-up imitating it rather than refining its mechanics into games that are better than System Shock 2 itself really was.

l..ll.. look at you hacker.. there are rumours you are returning to do battle.. i.. ii.. look forward to putting you in an electrified torture chair

im hoping its true but ill wait till it appears

i hope this will be true as well. thats the only game i wasnt able to play. i had the game in my hands, i installed it but as soon i click on "new game". the game crashed all the time. dint even saw the intro, nothing :(
all i could do was to ask for my money back at the store.
this would be at least a chance to play it.

It will still be broken. And by broken I mean old and hard to aim. But I'm not invested in this. Not after the Hydroponics deck level. Dat nurse....

Does this mean I won't have to mantain my single core Win 98 machine anymore? That would be...wonderful.

Ahhhh no, I hear monkeys! No! No! The Monkeys! MONKEEEEEEEYS!

Kzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

Little Ones need lots of meat to grow big and strong.

Look at you gamer... A pathetic creature of hopes and dreams.

I really wish this isn't just a rumour. System Shock 2 on GOG?
Definite instabuy, even though I don't really have any money at the moment.

cathou:
there's also an hint of that that appear on gog itself last year

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sid_meiers_colonization

look the names of the cities in the screenshots

but of course none of those games have made it so far, so could be nothing

Thats either a very cleverly hidden easter egg or just due to the GOG employee using random game names for his country "Good Old Games". If its an egg, Im totally up for scanning all the screenshots on GOG to see what else might be coming...

i remember trying to play this game when i was about 12 and being really, really confused.I had zero context, had played no games of similar complexity before and was unable to comprehend what the hell was going on.It'd be interesting to try again as an adult.

I am very interested in this. The one thing I have to say though is that I hope they've gotten their hands on the genesis mod (basically a texture and graphics upgrade as I recall) for it because the models and graphics for organics were blocky and horrible even when the game came out. When I finally played it through back in 2006 it hurt my eyes at times. Given what my eyes have gotten used to since however...

I can't be all hipster and claim I liked this game before it was cool. I had never even heard of it until Bioshock became popular.

Nonetheless, I do want to play it now that I know if it.

Callate:
So, yes, it did some remarkable things for its time, and it was a stepping stone for a lot of great titles up the road. But quite frankly, in some ways I'm glad it didn't sell all that well in its time, because if it had, developers would be straight-up imitating it rather than refining its mechanics into games that are better than System Shock 2 itself really was.

I will readily agree that things went downhill once you hit the Rickenbacker (trying to avoid spoilers here for those who haven't played it) and the ending was terrible. But I liked the harshness of the setting and having to really hoard your resources (although the gun damage model was admittedly a bit nuts) and as I recall, the respawn rate once you'd cleared an area was really quite light. I also think the Vita Chambers, for those who used them, totally did away with any sense of tension in BioShock. Death has no meaning if death has no consequences.

SS2 doesn't hold your hand. It may come as a shock to gamers used to distractedly blowing through six-hour campaigns in two nights, but I think it makes for a great experience.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here