Rumor: System Shock 2 Coming to GOG

Pages PREV 1 2

In high school I made a point of going back to play all of the old "classic" PC games that everyone raved about, just to see if they were really worth their constant praise (generally speaking, they were, although some of it's definitely rose-colored glasses). Thief 1+2, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Half-Life, Grim Fandango, the Baldur's Gate series, The Longest Journey, Doom 1+2, Fallout 1+2, Monkey Island...they were all conquered, one by one, until I felt that I had finally captured the best of PC gaming's history. But one thing that never really found its way onto my hard drive was the System Shock series. I'm not entirely sure why, but it never seemed all that appealing and I'm kind of a coward when it comes to scary games, so I guess I figured it'd be worth a pass. I've continued to hear about it since, and a part of me has always regretted not finding the time to get into it.

Yet now it seems my chance has come. I have a GoG account with some solid games on it, and I would be glad to add the two System Shock games to it and finally sit down and play through them, fear-inducing experiences or not. GoG, please let it happen. Let me finish off the classic games list once and for all so that I may join the old folks in their constant whining about how things were better back in the olden days!

I'm extremely excited as long as they can get the bloody thing to function fully on most systems. Great game but goddamn does it have a tendency to freak out on any system more advanced than the one it shipped for and even if you get it running the cutscenes tend to not work.

Honestly it's on the short list of games I think could stand a full remake or at least a Baldur's Gate enhanced edition style go over.

Callate:
Maybe when more people actually play it, we'll get to stop hearing about how great it is...?

(Sorry. I'm the heretic who thinks the game- while admittedly having some good points- is vastly over-rated as a whole.)

SS2 has more gameplay-related depth than games like BioShock - for example, you study creatures by examining their body parts rather than taking pictures of them. Also, multiple types of ammunition and weapon effects like EMP are done really well. If someone had given Looking Glass the game budget of today's "AAA-games" there's no knowing what those guys would have achieved.

Andy Chalk:
snip

I think I'm going to have to respectfully agree to disagree.

I do agree that the Vita Chambers are an imperfect solution to a problem at best, but it's a problem games as a whole are still struggling with. The major difference between hitting "quick load" and the Vita Chamber respawn is that the enemies you've damaged remain so, meaning that it's possible to defeat even the most dangerous foes through simple attrition. (Arguably, the same tactic SS2 brings to bear against the player.)

Oh I so want this to be true. I lost my copy of SS2 years ago and a little bit of my died. A GoG or Steam release would revive that part of me and I'd gladly purchase it from one those two. I wonder if it'll come with the texture mod. Even when the game was brand new it sorta looked like ass. Regardless, this has me excited in several ways.

Until I see Age of Empire 2 on GOG anything else that comes out gets a "meh" from Azreal Maximillion. I need an RTS with actual multiplayer.

Awesome news! Its about time that someone may have finally rescued System Shock from the dark shadows of trademark hell.

They'd better release the first game too, if they do this. Apparently this is one of those series where you can't properly appreciate the sequel unless you've played the original first.

Well, no longer a rumor. Confirmed.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/

Get yer Shock on, folks.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or