You Too Can Name the Moons of Pluto

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You Too Can Name the Moons of Pluto

P4 and P5 are terrible names for servants of a king, so astronomers want your help picking new ones.

Pluto, king of the underworld and former planet, has had two new moons discovered in the past two years, and the team of SETI astronomers who found them wants you to vote to name them. The two moons are currently called P4 and P5, but via the website Pluto Rocks, members of the public can freely vote on a list of mythical greek names for the orbiting rocks. If you like, you can also submit alternate Hades-themed names for the moons. Among the proposed names are such underworld luminaries as Cerberus, Erebus, Eurydice, Lethe, Persephone, and Styx. Pluto's current moons are named Charon, Nix, and Hydra. Voting will close at noon EST on Monday, February 25, 2013.

Mark Showalter, the head of the SETI institute team that discovered P4 and P5, said on the website that "The Greeks were great storytellers and the 'Minions of Hades' are a colorful cast of characters. We have picked out a few of our favorite names to get the voting started, but if you have a better idea, let us know and we might add it to the ballot!" Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto in 1930, and a little girl from Oxford, England suggested that he name it Pluto. Opening up the voting to the public, says Showalter, is in the spirit of Tombaugh's discovery. Under the Nomenclature Working Groups of the International Astronomical Union, Showalter's SETI team has the right to name the moons and put those names to a vote by the IAU. SETI Institute is a not-for-profit organization which studies the universe, with an aim at the search for life.

Source: Pluto Rocks

Mickey and Minnie, calling it now.

Name them Jay and Silent Bob.

Cheech and Chong.

Mario and Luigi. And we can eventually rename Pluto "The Mushroom Kingdom".

I voted for Cerberus and Styx, they sound the best to me plus they link nicely from a mythology standpoint.

Voted Cerberus and Lethe. Cerberus had better win, it's just so fitting. I'd also be happy to see Styx and Persephone get voted in.

Persephone and Styx.

Felt that was fitting.

cerberus and acheron

That's stupid, clearly Pluto deserves to have his Persephone. That shouldn't even be up for a vote!

I voted Styx, for one reason.

Domo Arigoto, Styx.

Mondas and Telos.

At least until we discover a tenth planet.

Jorec:
Persephone and Styx.

Felt that was fitting.

Same here. I considered Acheron too, but that would mean giving up on the more appropriate Persephone.

Cerberus is a choice. So I'm voting Cerberus.

JonB:
Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto in 2930

Whoah, whoah, whoah. He came from the future and all he did was discover a planet? He could have become a billionaire by investing in cat based websites!

No Orpheus? I went for Orpheus and Lethe.

Well frack, Persephone is currently in third. I hope that one at least wins.

Persephone, Cerberus and Styx seem to be the most fitting for the theme.
I'd be absolutely torn trying to choose just two of those...

James and Woods
Seemed fitting.

Come! Orpheus!

Erky and Perky seem good names

Peresphone should definitely make it for sure, if not i'll be disappointed.

as for the other, i picked orpheus mostly cause im a persona fan. I think cerberus is a bit too cool sounding of a name to use here. it would be much cooler if we found some sorta exoplanet with three moons or something to do with three.

JonB:

And then what... came back in time a thousand years to break the news to everyone? :P

Yeah I'm thinking Persephone and Styx as well.

JonB:

He came back in time and instead of warning us about Hitler or something, he gives us Pluto, which a time after he tells us of it, we throw out its planet status? Yeah, that was worth it.

Squilookle:
And then what... came back in time a hundred years to break the news to everyone? :P

Try a thousand.

I vote that one of the moons be named Soren, so that in arguments, I can say "Oh yeah, well I have a moon named after me!"

Squilookle:

JonB:

And then what... came back in time a hundred years to break the news to everyone? :P

Yeah I'm thinking Persephone and Styx as well.

A hundred years?

You get relegated to grade 5.

I vote for Thelma and Louise or Bonnie and Clyde.

soren7550:

JonB:

He came back in time and instead of warning us about Hitler or something, he gives us Pluto, which a time after he tells us of it, we throw out its planet status? Yeah, that was worth it.

Don't tell that, given the chance to activate the world's only time machine, there isn't even a tiny part of you that would be tempted to use it in the most pointless way you could think of just to spite everyone who wanted to solve world hunger.

Orpheus and Acheron sound interesting.

Too bad they can't name them Kaon and Iacon.

I immediatly thought Cerberus, but I was a bit torn between Persophone and Styx, but I feel they should be named after charecters in Hades, rather than major geographic features of Hades. Calling a small moon orbitting Pluto Styx, refering to the giant river running into the underwolrd, on which the boatman Charon drives his boat just feels weird. So Cerberus and Persophone it is, with Orpheus being a close second.

Persephone and Cerberus were my choices. Persephone was his wife, and you gotta have Cerberus. He's a great guard dog and an excellent representative of the trichotomy of time and how it invades everything even death.

Dragoon:
I voted for Cerberus and Styx, they sound the best to me plus they link nicely from a mythology standpoint.

I also went with this. How could cerberus not have a spot with pluto?

soren7550:

JonB:

Squilookle:

Try a thousand.

I vote that one of the moons be named Soren, so that in arguments, I can say "Oh yeah, well I have a moon named after me!"

Haha ooh boy do I look like a twit now.

Still, since nobody mentioned it beforehand I should get a bonus for that. Guess in the end I just broke even.

I say Persephone and Acheron, though I actually like all of the names available.

Dragoon:

Yeah that appealed to me as well, given it's the outer edge of our solar system they seem to bar our way in to the darkness.

Name one Peanut.

Name the other one Butter.

Mmmmmm...

Equestria and 4Chan. :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: