Obsidian CEO Dreams Of Fallout: Los Angeles

Pages PREV 1 2

rhizhim:
that would be one of the easiest fallout titles to make since los angeles seems to be a pretty fucked up place, in the first place.

canadamus_prime:
Um... one problem. You visit part of LA in the first Fallout. I don't suppose that will be a big issue, but will they be taking that into account when developing this? Will they include the Boneyard and the Gunrunners as visitable locations?

they already included the gun runners and the NCR in their "modern" version of fallout.

so yeah.

Oh really? Do tell.

Mr.Amakir:

canadamus_prime:
Um... one problem. You visit part of LA in the first Fallout. I don't suppose that will be a big issue, but will they be taking that into account when developing this? Will they include the Boneyard and the Gunrunners as visitable locations?

Why donīt you read the original Rock Paper Shotgun article?

All right all right. No need to get snarky.

Blerg.
What later became Obsidian made fallout and it's sequel. I would put fallout 1 and 2 above new vegas from the story telling aspect.

Bethesda made fallout 3 and is making huge strides in the immersion and story telling department. Remember Oblivion? The NPCs there where crepier then i am, sitting here watching you on a webcam i had smuggled into your room...

Fallout 3 was worlds better with that and Skyrim was another big step forward.

I'd rather see where Bethesda goes then knowing that Obsidian might pull off a decent effort which can be seen as another homage to their glory days.

Also, of all the bug riddled unfinished messes Bethesda dared to deliver nothing was as bugged as new vegas.

rhizhim:
so there are quite some sides you can pick up the story and continue the lore

Personally, I think it would be kind of cool to do a prequel to Fallout, set shortly before the events of Fallout 1 and perhaps foreshadowing some of the events therein while telling its own story..

The great thing about the Fallout universe, but also a bit of a problem for it, is how much things progress between games. The first game really was a fucked up wasteland with a few frontier towns, by the second game some of those towns had turned into little micro-nations and city-states trying to muscle in on the small fry around them. By New Vegas, we have full scale warfare between huge nation states with actual infrastructure and governments.

While having that progression between games is nice, it can only go so far before the setting stops being particularly post-apocalyptic. It would be nice in some ways to focus back in on the time when everything was fucked up and humanity was really struggling to survive. I get the feeling that's what Fallout 3 was going for (when the story wasn't sucking and making no sense), and that element really worked.. it also kept the game simple and allowed it to suck in a new generation of fans who had never played the originals.

evilthecat:

rhizhim:

Personally, I think it would be kind of cool to do a prequel to Fallout, set shortly before the events of Fallout 1 and perhaps foreshadowing some of the events therein while telling its own story..

The great thing about the Fallout universe, but also a bit of a problem for it, is how much things progress between games. The first game really was a fucked up wasteland with a few frontier towns, by the second game some of those towns had turned into little micro-nations and city-states trying to muscle in on the small fry around them. By New Vegas, we have full scale warfare between huge nation states with actual infrastructure and governments.

While having that progression between games is nice, it can only go so far before the setting stops being particularly post-apocalyptic. It would be nice in some ways to focus back in on the time when everything was fucked up and humanity was really struggling to survive. I get the feeling that's what Fallout 3 was going for (when the story wasn't sucking and making no sense), and that element really worked.. it also kept the game simple and allowed it to suck in a new generation of fans who had never played the originals.

Fallout never wanted to stagnate. It always wanted to progress.

If someone wanted to stay in the dark ages, you might as well play Borderlands. Fallout tries to be serious while mocking itself with how dark it is.

Fallout even shows itself going in a cycle of destruction and creation. Hardly the "think of the wasteland" crap because human history was never stable.

There is no need to worry, things will still get shot. We've been doing it since the 1400s. The wilderness recedes and grows back over time.

I swear, every time someone at Obsidian opens their mouth, I get REALLY excited.

so depending on the neighborhood there may not be much difference between real Los Angeles and the one in game, also i hope it will be the entire county not just the city

Would love to see this made, even if it was a return to Vegas!

Primero Holodon:

elvor0:

RobfromtheGulag:

You've gotta actually shoot a nuke at some other country to deserve a parody game like Fallout.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas really seemed like different games, and I was not a fan of New Vegas at first. I have come to appreciate both, and I'd be excited if Obsidian and Bethesda would keep the fork in the road distinct. New Vegas was much more social and less violent I daresay, whereas the true lonely dystopic sensation of the wasteland was far more apparent in Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 was certainly more desolate and wasted, I'll give you that, but it just felt... off given the lore. The Capital wasteland was in a worse state than the areas of FO 1/2. And given this is set quite a while after those games, it seems odd that people were /still/ scrabbling around in the dirt. Plus the whole thing with the water didn't make any sense.

I enjoyed 3, but New Vegas I enjoyed much much more, even not having played Fallout 1/2 until a short time before 3s release. I suspect you've heard the same point many times before, but vegas felt more "Fallout", wheras 3 felt like it took the theme, and just sort of did its own thing. Mind you, if they do staggered East and West coast games, with Bethesda on one side and Obsidian on the other then everyone's happy.

I think the explanation lore wise is that as the capital, it would've naturally been hit harder than most other places, meaning naturally it would've taken much longer to recover.

Well there's that, but this is set almost 300 years after the bombs fell, the background radiation would've fallen and general rebuilding would've begun sooner than that, even Fallout 2 had New Reno and San Fran was specified as being hit hard too, and they're not too bad either. I know Chernobyl didn't get hit by nuclear bombs, but even that has greenery growing at the moment. Much longer maybe, but it shouldn't feel like the bombs have /just/ hit.

Plus the water shouldn't have been irradiated, it would've been clean by after 300 years, we didn't need some magic plot mcguffin to do that. I mean christ, the main plot leads are scientists for crying out loud, they should know this. gah, rage!

consoles holding down the market, who would have though.... erm... everyone already knew that.

canadamus_prime:

they coudl visit another part of LA in the new game. i think LA is big enough to fit two games.

Little Gray:

Blablahb:
The guy may have noticed there's this device out there called a pc. You can play games on a pc. This means you don't need to rely on consoles to build games of a genre that really doesn't translate well to consoles.

No sane business person is going to ignore the platform where the majority of their sales come from. Like it or not the reality is consoles is where the money and the majority of their audience is.

sad but true. consoles seems to be the target audience of msot modern games..

I want a vision, and I certainly don't want to be a dinosaur using the keyboard and mouse.

please leave us,dinosaurs of keyboard and mouse, alone, as noone has managed to create a superior controller yet. and noone will until you will create a virtual world.

You know this is something I would look forward too. Although NCR all over LA would give me genocidal thoughts.
Just take everything from New Vegas, and whatever Bethesda used to make Fallout 3 less buggy then..... New Vegas..... and I'm a happy camper.
No seriously, I really am getting tired of the reseting my console every 3 hours just to play. Frikin Bethesda games...

canadamus_prime:

Well, there was a Gunrunner DLC in New Vegas, so I'm sure they'd keep that stuff in mind.

Good to know that xbox whatevernumber and ps4 are delaying a game I'm potentially very interested in. -_-

JPArbiter:
OHPLEASGODNONEVEGASWASABROKENUNPLAYABLEPEICEOFGARBAGEANDOBSIDIANSHOULDNEVERDEVELOPGAMESAGAIN!

Ahhh, don't be a hater. It got patched.

If you're going to complain about anything in F:NV it should be the horrible indoor mazes that made no reasonable human sense.

Otherwise it was pretty good. Certainly more interesting settingwise than Bethesda's nonsensical, logic-defying, retconning, canon-breaking efforts.

Auron:
Good to know that xbox whatevernumber and ps4 are delaying a game I'm potentially very interested in. -_-

Every day the Glorious PC Gamer Master Race is becoming more and more glorious.

I hope this is the last console cycle. I hope consoles crash and burn. I hope Microsoft and Sony both introduce always online DRM to consoles. I hope Gamestop goes bust. I want to see this industry not being controlled by Old White Money.

karma9308:
I swear, every time someone at Obsidian opens their mouth, I get REALLY excited.

And then they proudly show you what they've made and you go:

"Oh.... It's..... Lovely......Arrrggggggghhhhhhhhhgetawaygetawaygetawaynopenopenopenope!"

Looking forward to the 2D thing they kick-started though.

Sack of Cheese:
I wish they'd make a Fallout: Australia game one day. Most of modern games are based on US locations... So jelly!

Australia is already a dangerous place in every conceivable way, and you want to add Fallout grade mutations and science to the mix?!

I like the way you think. >:)

Why don't they just start developing it for PC, and then when the consoles are released, scale it back and port it over?

as a person who has spent over 700 hours playing fallout new Vegas I would approve of Obsidian making another fallout.
I only spent 3 hour in fallout 3 so I am not in a position to say much about how Bethesda handled fallout 3. all can say for sure is the game tried to make me care that James running off and they failed. I seen the spoiler and I know why he left but still zero fucks are given. I am in the situation were all there is to do is explore and I don't have the time to extensively explore like I did when I played skyrim a year ago.

If fallout LA was made I would buy. every obsidan game I played so far has proven they know how to write a good story and characters.

The Code:

Sack of Cheese:
I wish they'd make a Fallout: Australia game one day. Most of modern games are based on US locations... So jelly!

Australia is already a dangerous place in every conceivable way, and you want to add Fallout grade mutations and science to the mix?!

I like the way you think. >:)

yes think of all the giant mutant spiders that game would have. the whole game would be a nightmare for people with arachnophobia.
but really I can't imagine how a fallout located outside of america would work. you can't just force 1950's america in a place outside of america and still make the setting work.

Couldn't they start developing it now for the PC and later on when new the consoles get released they could port it to them?

Sounds like this is a case of 'It's going to happen, we're just waiting for the pieces outside of the game construction to fall into place'.

I don't think news of this will come about anytime soon, but Fallout: Los Angeles probably is something to expect in 2016/2017.

I say just develop one more game for this current generation of consoles. Everyone pretty much owns a PS3, Xbox or Wii-U by now. I hope they don't wait another year or two for the next generation of consoles to roll out.

canadamus_prime:

rhizhim:
that would be one of the easiest fallout titles to make since los angeles seems to be a pretty fucked up place, in the first place.

canadamus_prime:

they already included the gun runners and the NCR in their "modern" version of fallout.

so yeah.

Oh really? Do tell.

you're welcome.

also they could go with the boneyard theme and put a lot of "dia de los muertos" vibe into it. even if it belongs to another state/country
and we might get to visit a certain "The Blue Casket" nightclub...

Abomination:

Auron:

Every day the Glorious PC Gamer Master Race is becoming more and more glorious.

yeah, being awesome can be a struggle..

evilthecat:

rhizhim:

but then again, war never changes and we might see history repeat itself..
also even if we were to see vegetation in the wastelands and it would not seem post apocalyptic anymore, the structure and relationships between humans and others would still be broken i.e. we would still have thousands of clans and "emperors" that would make the wasteland hostile.

the wasteland is like the early middle ages and the time before it.
so you are holding on a cliched view on how a wasteland should look like.

Daystar Clarion:
More Obsidian Fallout is always a good thing.

I played the crap out of New Vegas, they created a brilliantly immersive world, with great characters.

Agreed!
Fallout NV: is my favourite fallout title and I've lost hundreds of hours on those dusty highways

The name Feargus Urquhart always seems to fill me with dread. While plenty of people think that Obsidian is an awesome publisher, I've seen him let things slide that have really taken the fun out of many of Obsidian's and the releases back when he was running Black Isle.

I'm not brushed up on my Fallout lore, but could Fallout: San Francisco be a thing? When I think of San Fran I think of two things: Dirty Harry and those sloped roads. I can imagine a class system emerging with the poor, maybe Vault Dwellers found long after establishment, way more advanced, but treated as 3rd rate citizens, if that, like in "District 9" and the Ghouls having to wallow in the low lying irradiated districts. On the flip side the "Nobles" have taken the high ground and rule over all below them in a cliche of epic proportions. Taking the Vault Tech, but lacking the skills to use it, while keeping the premise of being higher born. Local law enforcement could even be called "The Gatekeepers" separating the high from the low.

Also if Bethesda decide on keeping East and all, I wouldn't mind seeing a Fallout: New New York. I want to see New York City looking like a giant sized game of dominoes and flooded like Venice. Maybe there could be a Cap run Naval Trade/Courier faction, a buccaneering Pirate faction, Brotherhood and Enclave outposts, a Wall Street faction?

I dunno, I'm just throwing ideas out. Let me know if any of this sticks! :D

PS: I like the idea of other countries being "Fallout-ified" but doubt a game will come of it, fingers crossed though!

Honestly, I always felt that the biggest hurdle Obsidian Entertainment has to overcome with game development, is the fact that they're Obsidian Entertainment.

Perhaps they're problems lie with more approachable subjects, like whether or not they should fire their entire playtest department (and they should), or working on their list of scapegoats to use when one of their games is unplayable on launch.

But yeah, let's worry about the consoles, sure.

All I can say is, I'm glad he's not in charge of important things.

I love the company, I love the games, but until he feels like handing me 500 to 1000 dollars, I will be playing on my wonderful Xbox.

Karloff:
...we may yet see what Obsidian could do with a mutant-infested La La Land.

But I already know what I'll see; A misshapen, digital homonculus frozen in some grotesque pose as the roaring buzz of the crash crescendos and snuffs any joy that may have been gleaned.

The only way I'll play one of their games again is if they paid me. Then again, I've already sworn to never again work a job I hate.

Ninjariffic:

Karloff:
...we may yet see what Obsidian could do with a mutant-infested La La Land.

But I already know what I'll see; A misshapen, digital homonculus frozen in some grotesque pose as the roaring buzz of the crash crescendos and snuffs any joy that may have been gleaned.

The only way I'll play one of their games again is if they paid me. Then again, I've already sworn to never again work a job I hate.

That said, that homonculus will have at least a sexy hip, maybe a glint in the eye. Sure the rest might look like a Ghoul, but that hip and glint will help pull me through and I'll play it till the radiation dissipates!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here