Diablo III Patch Settles Your Disputes With Duels

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Diablo III Patch Settles Your Disputes With Duels

PvP, a feature promised shortly after the game's launch, will finally be added to Blizzard's dungeon crawler.

When Diablo III launched in May last year, developer Blizzard promised us that the PvP patch would be put out "shortly after release" and include a Team Deathmatch game mode. As "shortly" became half a year, Blizzard made a blog post detailing their plans for PvP. Most surprising was the fact that the Team Deathmatch game mode had been completely scrapped, and that a patch consisting of basic duelling would be released "some time after the new year." That time has come, as patch 1.07 is scheduled to go live on Wednesday in all regions.

Duelling is a new feature accessed by speaking to "Nek the Brawler," an NPC located in New Tristram. He will teleport up to four players to a specially designed duelling world, where players can duke it out for bragging rights. Dying has no penalty for duelling players - your gear won't take any damage and you will be instantly resurrected. Even hardcore characters can join in the fun, as duel-induced deaths are not permanent.

Also included in the patch are some changes to the Wizard and Monk classes, a new tier of gems, a new crafting reagent and some crafting recipes to go along with it. Wizard and Monks are getting buffs to some lesser-utilized spells such as the Wizard's Arcane Orb and the Monk's Exploding Palm. The new tier of gem, the Marquise Gem, has stats in line with the current gem progression, and will cost you three Radiant Star Gems, 20 million gold and one of the new crafting reagents to create.

The new crafting reagent and recipes seems to indicate the success of patch 1.05's Infernal Machine event, which allowed players to collect reagents from bosses and craft a legendary ring. In 1.07, Players will be able to collect "Demonic Essences" from elite monsters, which can in turn be used in five new crafting recipes to create rare quality armor. Players can choose the primary stat of an item when crafting it (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence) meaning that they can take a little bit of randomness out of the RNG.

The patch is the third "major" content patch of Diablo III, following patch 1.04 which introduced the Paragon leveling system, and 1.05 which introduced the Infernal Machine event and Monster Power. You can read the full 1.07 patch notes here.

Source: Battle.net Forums

If this was there from the start, it might have kept me in the game for slightly longer. Right now, it's not enough to being me back. It's dueling for bragging rights, and there's noone to brag to when none of your friends have touched the game for half a year and don't have any plans to ever again.

for a company that is (in)famous for its "when its ready" philosophy their handling of D3 has been shocking. PvP was a -if not THE- vital part of D2's longevity. That they thought it was a good idea to release the game w/o that functionality is mind boggling. That it took another 10 months to get it into the game is even more shocking, and something that old blizzard would never have done.

My theory is that it has everything to do with the decline of World of Warcraft. Cataclysm was a massive failure. Delivering a huge blow to the game it took out nearly 20% of WoW's subscriber base. With Heart of the swarm delayed and the next wow expansion on shaky ground, i can see from a boardroom perspective why actiblizz would want to push D3 out in the first half of last year. Its sad really...

Yeah, imagine that, someone comes out with another game that blows the pants off of D3 and shit starts happening over at blizzard. Too little too late. I'll be playing Path of Exile, never have I been more disappointed in a game. 10 years for d3 and it's a mess.

D3 was the last game I'll be looking forward to from them. They have lost their way and I hope they can bring it back with the secret new IP that has been rumored for what 4 years now? Doubt it but I can't bring myself to actively root against blizzard, even after they started dicking around with DRM and pay to win.

walrusaurus:
for a company that is (in)famous for its "when its ready" philosophy their handling of D3 has been shocking. PvP was a -if not THE- vital part of D2's longevity. That they thought it was a good idea to release the game w/o that functionality is mind boggling. That it took another 10 months to get it into the game is even more shocking, and something that old blizzard would never have done.

My theory is that it has everything to do with the decline of World of Warcraft. Cataclysm was a massive failure. Delivering a huge blow to the game it took out nearly 20% of WoW's subscriber base. With Heart of the swarm delayed and the next wow expansion on shaky ground, i can see from a boardroom perspective why actiblizz would want to push D3 out in the first half of last year. Its sad really...

At blizzcon it was constantly repeated that the devs felt the pve aspect of the game was more important and that any pvp would be an addition. I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying the devs felt the complete opposite.

Diablo 3 was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

I will not be slow to forget that, Blizzard. No amount of content can fix the shit you've done to my beloved franchise.

Huh, I thought pvp would be the same as the dance studio. Something fun but unnecessary that would never actually come out. Too little too late though.

Waaaaaaaaaaay to little way to late. Already jumped off that ship, swam to shore and started playing another game.

Good to hear the pussed up pvp. That just completes my thought that Bliz has flushed the series.

This is good to hear. After I got tired with Diablo 3, I knew all I had to do was wait and things would slowly ramp up to being playable again. Maybe after the fourth major content patch, or whatever, I can head back to Diablo 3 and see how things hold up.

Until then, there are plenty of ARPGs to go around.

If you're going to build always-online DRM right into the core of your game, you'd better have a damn good game to back it up (*cough* SimCity *cough*). Releasing something without one of the most anticipated features is not a good start. While I actually have a bit of respect for providing post-release support for the game beyond paid DLC, the fact that it's by all rights something that should've been included from the start does not speak as well for them. But then, really nothing about this game has gone right for Blizzard, and if they wanna try and fix it, more power to 'em.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Why is it that so many of the people who complain about SimCity being always-online didn't speak up when Diablo III did it (and to a lesser extent, vice-versa)? It's the same thing for both games, and your stance, whatever it may be, should be consistent for both.

slash2x:
Waaaaaaaaaaay to little way to late. Already jumped off that ship, swam to shore and started playing another game.

Path of Exile? If not, your comparison is strangely close to the premise of PoE.

Nitpicking: it's patch 1.0.7 and not 1.07
It's not a decimal number.

Also, they renamed it to brawling :P

Diablo III is still a thing?
I thought that game died before I had a chance to play it.
Good to know a function I have no interest in is being fixed for a game I have had no reason to play.

I keep forgetting this game exists... and I own it. That's how disappointing and forgettable it was for me.

Way too little and waaaaay too late Blizzard. I already moved on to other ARPGs like Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile.

Classes arent balanced enough to support pvp.. so you can have a crappy version of pvp that we already told you is broken. As long as you remember that this isn't actually up to our standards.

Sounds like someone has performance anxiety >_>

if only diablo wasnt so much better than tl2 and poe :/

walrusaurus:

Ummm pvp was not really a vital part of diablo 2. It was a horribly unbalanced mess and never very popular among the masses. Sure it had a dedicated crowd but they were a small portion.

I'll repeat what I said in the announcement article. This is very little short of being downright idiotic. To say "we don't want to put this feature in because it's pointless", and then talk about implementing what is basically a gimped version of it because "it's pointless but fun" in the same breath is just comedy gold. Not to mention how fucking terrible an idea it is to have dueling be done by talking to some fucking NPC you might not necessarily even be able to reach without exiting the game and changing the stupid quest. Jesus. Why is dueling limited to arenas anyways?

TK421:
Also, why do you guys whine so much? I get it, you don't like the game. That doesn't mean you have to cry and moan about the fact that it exists every time it is mentioned.

Some of us aren't entitled little pricks and are happy with the game(or at least don't constantly whine about it), and it is getting really old listening to people complain anytime D3 has a patch.

Did someone strike a nerve?

Here's the thing. Some of the people, me included, view Diablo 3 as nothing short of a betrayal and a rape of the franchise. You're going to have to wait a little more than several months for the butthurt to subside.

Now, we don't have to, but I love venting about it on the forums. Sorry it offends you so, but I ain't gonna stop anytime soon.

TK421:
Some of us aren't entitled little pricks

Your argument would be totally valid, if the game were free. But a lot of people paid money for a game that didn't meet their expectations, and they felt ripped off. There is nothing unreasonable about paying good money and expecting a good product in return.

I get it, you like the game. That doesn't mean you have to cry and moan every time somebody mentions they don't.

P.S. Thanks

walrusaurus:
PvP was a -if not THE- vital part of D2's longevity.

For a vocal minority only.

Who plays Diablo 3? I didn't get it because of the online requirements...

D3 is a game made that failed. Blizzard has clearly dropped their standards since Diablo 2 and everything post D2.

So I take it the whole offline patch still hasn't come around yet, shame, damn shame.
I got D3 in the mail right around I lost my internet connection for a month and just sent it right back for being too much of a damn hassle.

DrunkenMonkey:
So I take it the whole offline patch still hasn't come around yet, shame, damn shame.
I got D3 in the mail right around I lost my internet connection for a month and just sent it right back for being too much of a damn hassle.

I wouldn't hold your breath on an "offline" patch. As well as Blizzard being insistent that D3 is an "mmo-lite" and should always require online, the way the actual server framework of the game works is that pretty much ALL of the information is stored server side. This includes monsters, dungeons, characters. Very little info is actually stored on your computer, making an "offline" patch extremely difficult if not impossible.

Covarr:

TK421:
Some of us aren't entitled little pricks

Your argument would be totally valid, if the game were free. But a lot of people paid money for a game that didn't meet their expectations, and they felt ripped off. There is nothing unreasonable about paying good money and expecting a good product in return.

I understand expecting a good product and not receiving something that you felt was worth what you paid for. It feels really bad to get ripped off, it's happened to me too. Being pissed off about this is completely valid as well. What bothers me is that everyone is still complaining every time the game is even mentioned. It is ok to complain. It is ridiculous to complain nine months later at the mere mention of a game patch.

TK421:
It is ridiculous to complain nine months later at the mere mention of a game patch.

Some of us find Diablo 3 (among other things) nothing short of a disgrace on the part of Blizzard. Some find the story that is now considered "canon" revolting and insulting. Some of us want to see them crash and burn. Some of us just find joy in pointing out just how pathetic they can get in terms of game design.

Good thing nobody appointed to decide when it becomes ridiculous to "complain" about something. Would you mind telling us what you're basing this assertion on, perchance?

WhiteTigerShiro:

walrusaurus:

Was there something you were trying to say?

Hammeroj:

WhiteTigerShiro:

walrusaurus:

It's uh... it's all pretty much right there. Not really sure what went unsaid that wouldn't just be redundantly restating what was said in that one simple sentence.

Edit: Unless this is one of those Grammar Nazi things, where you pretend to not understand what a sentence means because it isn't flawlessly worded. I'm sorry, was "Only for a vocal minority" the proper way to word it? I generally like to keep up on my grammar, but heavens forbid that I miss a rule here or there. ;P

WhiteTigerShiro:

Hammeroj:

It's uh... it's all pretty much right there. Not really sure what went unsaid that wouldn't just be redundantly restating what was said in that one simple sentence.

Edit: Unless this is one of those Grammar Nazi things, where you pretend to not understand what a sentence means because it isn't flawlessly worded. I'm sorry, was "Only for a vocal minority" the proper way to word it? I generally like to keep up on my grammar, but heavens forbid that I miss a rule here or there. ;P

It's not a grammar nazi thing, your grammar is fine. The sentence, though, is beyond simple. It's simplistic.

I'm curious as to what you were trying to say. Because your post read to me as:
1) You taking the expression "longevity" and applying it to the consumer side instead of the game side of the equation for some reason. When people talk about a game's longevity, they generally mean it less in the sense that "I've played it for x amount of time" and more in the sense of "this game is ACTIVE for x amount of time". Now, assigning a cause to it (PvP) is a truth statement, the validity of which can be assessed, but a response in the vein of "it's only active because of/according to a vocal minority" is nonsensical.

2) An attempt to discredit people's opinions based on the ad populum fallacy (argument from popularity fallacy). "You're just a vocal minority" is the last resort of somebody who has nothing to say, for a couple of reasons. The first being that you likely have no actual idea of how much a minority or majority you're actually talking about, and the second being that generally, whether someone is a part of a vocal minority or a vocal majority actually has nothing to do with the validity of what they're saying.

So I wish to know what you meant.

Hammeroj:

My point is that in all the years and in all the time that I've spent playing D2 or posting on forums talking about it, I very very rarely met anyone who was into the PvP in the game. Oh but boy howdy if they don't wanna tell you about how it's just the life blood of the game, the only damn reason that anyone plays it anymore. Yeah, never mind the hundreds of people I met in-game and out who were only really interested in the PvE aspect of the game, those few people I met who were into the PvP are what kept D2 pumping all these years.

I'm not saying that you aren't allowed to enjoy the PvP in D2. Knock yourself out. I'm just saying that the PvPers are the minority of the over-all D2 community. Just that they like to blow it up to sound like they're the only community left in the game.

Hence, "To a vocal minority only". Because sure, for them it was the reason for D2 to last so long, but by no means is Diablo lost without its PvP.

Hammeroj:

TK421:
It is ridiculous to complain nine months later at the mere mention of a game patch.

Some of us find Diablo 3 (among other things) nothing short of a disgrace on the part of Blizzard. Some find the story that is now considered "canon" revolting and insulting. Some of us want to see them crash and burn. Some of us just find joy in pointing out just how pathetic they can get in terms of game design.

Good thing nobody appointed to decide when it becomes ridiculous to "complain" about something. Would you mind telling us what you're basing this assertion on, perchance?

I would be happy to oblige. Other things are going on in the industry, not to mention the rest of the world. There are bigger things happening, new games coming out, and new innovations, both good and bad. Some of these things are really awe-inspiring, and some of them are nearly terrifying. In light of all these things going on, it really bothers me to see people taking the time to turn out in droves and shit all over the good things that are happening to D3, at every opportunity. It really ruins any real discussion about how the patches could affect the game, and certainly ruins the reading experience for those of us who actually care about the new developments.

TK421:

Hammeroj:

I would be happy to oblige. Other things are going on in the industry, not to mention the rest of the world. There are bigger things happening, new games coming out, and new innovations, both good and bad. Some of these things are really awe-inspiring, and some of them are nearly terrifying. In light of all these things going on, it really bothers me to see people taking the time to turn out in droves and shit all over the good things that are happening to D3, at every opportunity. It really ruins any real discussion about how the patches could affect the game, and certainly ruins the reading experience for those of us who actually care about the new developments.

Where does the assumption that one cannot care about Diablo and other things within the industry/world come from?

What does something being bigger have to do with anything? Why do you presume to tell people what to care about in the first place?

Explain what you mean by "shit all over the good things", please. The statement itself means that either people think something is a good development - and then shit on it (which hasn't happened), that people think what you're calling a good development is actually bad (in which case you're free to debate them on that), or what's being shit on is not actually the thing you take issue with being shit on.

It ruins no discussion. You are more than free to logically pick apart the posts of people you deem to be irrationally hateful of Blizzard or whatever it is that's being talked about. You are more than free to present counter-arguments to everything that's being said. To say that non-positive statements about a news post (even predominantly so) ruins any real discussion and your "reading experience" is to say that what you were looking for wasn't discussion, but rather a circlejerk.

And I'm truly sorry about that reading experience part. Truly there is nothing more important than the reading experience of someone who can't stand a company they like being criticized.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Hammeroj:

My point is that in all the years and in all the time that I've spent playing D2 or posting on forums talking about it, I very very rarely met anyone who was into the PvP in the game. Oh but boy howdy if they don't wanna tell you about how it's just the life blood of the game, the only damn reason that anyone plays it anymore. Yeah, never mind the hundreds of people I met in-game and out who were only really interested in the PvE aspect of the game, those few people I met who were into the PvP are what kept D2 pumping all these years.

I'm not saying that you aren't allowed to enjoy the PvP in D2. Knock yourself out. I'm just saying that the PvPers are the minority of the over-all D2 community. Just that they like to blow it up to sound like they're the only community left in the game.

Hence, "To a vocal minority only". Because sure, for them it was the reason for D2 to last so long, but by no means is Diablo lost without its PvP.

Okay then. I have some nits to pick with your post but I'd rather not. I don't think what you're saying is unreasonable to any major extent, in fact I agree with calling people out on their bullshit if they're taking their criticism to irrational and baseless lengths. I even did the same on more than a couple of occasions.

With that said, I don't appreciate that you missed the entire first point I made. When a statement is made about a game's longevity, it's almost never meant as a "well I played it for that long" and generally refers to the sum of the game's activity or a large part of its player base. That is why saying "Diablo 2's PvP was a vital part of the game's longevity for a vocal minority only" is just a nonsensical statement. That's why I called it simplistic. If you really want to use what is basically a buzzword, at least elaborate a little bit instead of throwing 4 words out there.

Or, if you actually want to call into question the truth value of the claim that PvP was vital to D2, do that. Actually talk about the PvE aspects of the game instead of letting someone make a gorillion untrue judgements about you and your post on the count of oversimplified blurbs.

Hammeroj:

And I'm truly sorry about that reading experience part. Truly there is nothing more important than the reading experience of someone who can't stand a company they like being criticized.

I'm going to start with this. I don't give a damn about blizzard. I never said anything about them. At all. In fact, this is the first time I have even mentioned their name in this thread, you can check.

Hammeroj:
Where does the assumption that one cannot care about Diablo and other things within the industry/world come from?

You make a valid point.

Hammeroj:

Explain what you mean by "shit all over the good things", please. The statement itself means that either people think something is a good development - and then shit on it (which hasn't happened), that people think what you're calling a good development is actually bad (in which case you're free to debate them on that), or what's being shit on is not actually the thing you take issue with being shit on.

I was referring to the patch, which adds more content to the game. This is good for those who play the game. Most of the posts said nothing about the patch, they just trashed the game in general.

Hammeroj:

It ruins no discussion. You are more than free to logically pick apart the posts of people you deem to be irrationally hateful of Blizzard or whatever it is that's being talked about. You are more than free to present counter-arguments to everything that's being said. To say that non-positive statements about a news post (even predominantly so) ruins any real discussion and your "reading experience" is to say that what you were looking for wasn't discussion, but rather a circlejerk.

Actually, what I'm saying is that the over-population of negative posts towards the game in general(and not the patch referred to in the article) just turn the entire discussion into an Anti-Diablo3 circlejerk.

Hammeroj:

[spoiler]You can always stay out of the comment section if that's a problem. It really is that simple.

Another valid point, but I went to the comment section to see what other people thought about the patch and how it would affect the game. What I got was a bunch of people bitching about D3 and not even mentioning the patch, which is what the article was about in the first place.

I have even less interesting in D3 than Blizzard did in getting this feature to the players in a timely fashion.

This feature should of been implemented from the beginning. Doing it now is pointless because it is not balanced at all. The people who have been playing all this time and are over lvl 60 paragon level will literally one shot your character that you haven't played since release or a few months after (if you had quit by then).

This won't bring me back to D3, but I will definitely do so once the next expansion comes.

TK421:

Hammeroj:

I'm going to start with this. I don't give a damn about blizzard. I never said anything about them. At all. In fact, this is the first time I have even mentioned their name in this thread, you can check.

You know what, you're right. Sorry for the assumption. It's just that at this point I've read enough "stop crying" rhetoric to almost make saying something like this the norm on my part.

*pulls the broom out*
*sweeps shattered part of post*

Hammeroj:

I was referring to the patch, which adds more content to the game. This is good for those who play the game. Most of the posts said nothing about the patch, they just trashed the game in general.

If you want me to agree that that's a problem, that won't happen. Two reasons.

One, these patches are what in our country is called "spoons after dinner". Too little, too late, basically. If I see someone shit on my floor, I'm not going to commend them because they put a cherry on top. Sorry, I'm simply not. If people want to come in and have a laugh at the way Blizzard back-asswardly fixes their shitty game, I have less than no problems with it, because...

Two, I think Diablo 3 was the final straw when it comes to Blizzard using the goodwill they've built up over the years and in terms of trying to portray themselves as a developer that cares about quality. I think Blizzard is a downright contemptible game developer. Greed takes precedence over game design, and I'm convinced that if not incompetent, they are by and large a maddeningly lazy developer, considering the fact that they are easily - easily and by far - the most well funded game developer out there right now. Which is why, personally, even though I'm pretty sure Diablo 3 will go on to improve majorly with the expansions and patches, I simply cannot support a developer that is this morally and creatively bankrupt, and I will honestly take any opportunity I can get to shit all over their proverbial heads.

I am convinced that Diablo 3 will turn out to be a good game somewhere down the line[1], but the incremental improvements certainly do not warrant forgiveness for and forgetting of just how much of a betrayal they can repeatedly pull towards both their fans and their own reputation. And they won't anytime soon. Call back when there are any major changes for the better, and until don't expect people not to hate a developer that will try to get by on the most bare minimum, lowest common denominator, exploitative garbage games they can. Unless of course they're being hammered by criticism at every turn, in which case expect baby steps to something resembling quality.

Fuck. Them. They are one of the worst cancers on the gaming industry right now, and I mean it.

Hammeroj:

Actually, what I'm saying is that the over-population of negative posts towards the game in general(and not the patch referred to in the article) just turn the entire discussion into an Anti-Diablo3 circlejerk.

That's curious. Now from what I understand, non-confrontation is a key component of a circlejerk. Neither "fuck that", nor "Guy, I think you're wrong about this" is non-confrontational in the least. It's further defined by a lack of and aversion to opposing points of view, which exactly defines the tone of your first post. "Be nice or go away" was the gist of it, and that is the definition of looking for a circlejerk. Nobody, or next to nobody, on the "entitled baby hater" side, actually has the same approach to discourse.

And I'll say this again. It ruins no discussion. "B-but only haters comment" is not a valid rebuttal. You are more than free to (try to) discuss the actual patch notes, but the fact that nobody seems to want to do that (including you, by the way) says something to me.

Hammeroj:

[spoiler]You can always stay out of the comment section if that's a problem. It really is that simple.

Another valid point, but I went to the comment section to see what other people thought about the patch and how it would affect the game. What I got was a bunch of people bitching about D3 and not even mentioning the patch, which is what the article was about in the first place.

The article is about what people might perceive to be a turd of a game getting a drop of ketchup poured on it. The article is still about the patch for that game, to pretend like the actual game is some sort of tertiary topic is nothing short of absurd.

[1] Which is sad, considering I was really getting my standards as low as possible in the first place.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here