Brutal Legend Coming to PC

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Brutal Legend Coming to PC

Double Fine is about to rock your mouse and keyboard.

Remember all the outrage that erupted when Double Fine revealed that Brutal Legend would be a console exclusive, despite its most natural platform obviously being the PC? I suppose it's possible that I'm misremembering, and that all the outrage and uproar was limited to me. Either way, we're going to find out pretty soon if I was right.

Double Fine announced today that Brutal Legend is coming to the PC, and in fact it's up for preorder on Steam at this very moment in both a standard release and a "Soundtrack Edition" bundled with Peter McConnell's original score. The regular version of the game will retail for $19.99 and the Soundtrack Edition will go for $24.99, but both can be had before launch at a 25 percent discount. Ordering the game now will also earn purchasers two exclusive Team Fortress 2 items, Eddie Riggs' hair and his guitar Clementine, as well as access to the Brutal Legend multiplayer beta that's currently underway.

"Adding a PC release to Brutal Legend's list of conquests risks raising the world's ambient Metal saturation to dangerously high levels, which is why we're conducting this closed beta test for preorders," Double Fine frontman Tim Schafer explained.

The PC version of the game will offer improved visuals over the console releases with higher resolutions, better anti-aliasing and screen-space ambient occlusion. "Major improvements" to lag issues in multiplayer, especially in large games, and further PC-specific improvements are planned. Double Fine hasn't settled on a release date just yet but promised to announce something soon. In the meantime, you can get ready to rock out with your mouse and keyboard out at Steam.

Don't need it: I was one of the few to actually get this game around launch time for the PS3 (Wish I gotten it on Xbox 360, but our PS3 was barren at this time, so we chose the PS3). I liked it a lot, but the Multiplayer is barren and you really only wanna play story mode once...

So, don't need it for the PC.

Fucken awesome, I never thought this would come to the pc, seems like soon Ill have a reason to play it again. Hopefully this time its successful and we can get a sequel.

The first hour of the game makes it seem like it's going to be amazing, but then it quickly does a nosedive into mediocrity once your forced to manage units. Can't say I care, probably won't even pick it up during a Steam sale.

You know, I was just reading the Duke Nukem 3D release to steam news report thinking, why are they reporting on this when the way more metal Brutal Legend is heading to PC so shortly. I even started typing a comment before changing my mind. And now, all is good with the world, and a pre-order shall be mine.

Mr.Mattress:
Don't need it: I was one of the few to actually get this game around launch time for the PS3 (Wish I gotten it on Xbox 360, but our PS3 was barren at this time, so we chose the PS3). I liked it a lot, but the Multiplayer is barren and you really only wanna play story mode once...

So, don't need it for the PC.

Yeah I got it first time too and it was really good imo. I enjoyed the open world,t he driving and the hack n slashery and the story.

Shame it felt so rushed, I mean the glam rockers got like 5 times as long to themselves as the goths or death metal gimps did!

I qould gladly welcome a sequel though the RTS elements were extremely meh.

Eh.....I guess I'd pay 10 bucks for it on steam. Doubt I'd go higher than that.

Hold on. This is on Steam? Not Origin? *checks store* Holy crap, Double Fine is listed as the publisher! How the hell did they manage to wrest control away from EA? It took them like six years to get Psychonauts out from under the thumb of Majesco, and Majesco's not even... well, EA!

Gonna get this, because metal.

And yes i can have such a stupid reason to get a game.

Also, steam sales.

As awesome as this news is and as much as I respect Double Fine, I think I'll wait for the inevitable Steam sale sometime down the road, mainly because I don't have much money to spare at the moment.

okay, who played with the dimensional harmonizer again?
all these "positive" news can't come out of nowhere.

Bobic:
You know, I was just reading the Duke Nukem 3D release to steam news report thinking, why are they reporting on this when the way more metal Brutal Legend is heading to PC so shortly. I even started typing a comment before changing my mind. And now, all is good with the world, and a pre-order shall be mine.

because no one cares.

it is on GOG and you could even download the full atomic version of duke nukem 3d on GOG for free during christmas.

I already own it on the 360, bought it multiple times actually over the years.

However, I'm a major sucker for Double Fine titles. I'm sold. Again.

Also, TF2 hats. Woo!

I've never been able to finish it with the Xbox controls, if they are getting out of all or nothing then I'll have to get it eventually.

I played this back when it first came out for the 360 and I really liked it. I have been wanting to play it again and it seems like I will be able to. I am happy to see it is coming to Steam.

Did we just time warp back to 2008? Halo 2 servers still open, a Brutal Legend announcement, and a Duke Nukem 3D+? Why did we suddenly go retro? Not that I'm complaining.

I have it for the PS3 and LOVE IT.

I hope to see the release date being soon, yeah?

I really enjoyed this game when I got it for PS3. It's just so damn Metal, can you not like it? I'll be grabbing a copy off Steam for sure.

Soviet Heavy:
Did we just time warp back to 2008? Halo 2 servers still open, a Brutal Legend announcement, and a Duke Nukem 3D+? Why did we suddenly go retro? Not that I'm complaining.

Hard to complain 2008 was a good year.

Preordered

I have wanted to play this game ever since I heard of it! YES!

Awesome I always wanted to check out this game but never got the chance.

Considering the patches for the DLC ruined my PS3 copy, it'd be nice to finally experience the game good and proper.

That's the last Double Fine game that's missing from PC apart from the Seasame Street Kinect game right?

Absolutely amazing game that sadly fell flat in an audience pathologically opposed to even the lightest strategy. Fingers crossed this finds its home here, I'll probably pick it up even though I have it on 360 for an improved multiplayer. If it has GFWL though I am going to break some skulls.

Ugh... could have been the greatest game of all time. The fact that Jack Black was remotely involved (let alone voicing the protagonist) meant that this game was a big ol' pass. You want your game to sell? Don't cast the most annoying human being on the planet.

This is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm enjoying psyconauts right now but I like Brutal legend far better. That's not heresy is it?

Twenty seven years later?

I don't remember the game hitting it off that hard... why waste the effort so many years later?

I mean... *I* liked the game... but I also know how to ROCK!

I'm...
I...
I don't...
Wait, what?
Why are they doing this? I mean, hell, I loved the game - beaten it multiple times, actually - but I don't understand why they're bringing it to Steam now, after all this time? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But whatever. I'll toss the Double Fine boys a bone and pick it up. Not much for PC gaming, but I can't pass up the chance to play this through again.

I vaguely remember being interested in this game until I realized it's a console exclusive, which caused me to lose interest and move on.

Too little too late. I might buy it for $2.50 on a Steam Sale if the reviews for this version are good. I don't appreciate it when developers (even as great as Double-Fine) port games to the PC years after people forgot about them.

Andrewtheeviscerator:
The first hour of the game makes it seem like it's going to be amazing, but then it quickly does a nosedive into mediocrity once your forced to manage units. Can't say I care, probably won't even pick it up during a Steam sale.

This right here. The game was interesting for the first hour or so but then it got kinda boring and meh. I dunno, it could be me.

But I'm glad to see Double Fine striving. I'm still waiting for my goodie bag after backing their Kickstarter.

Oh gee, and only three years stale. Why thank you Double Fine, let me just rend by wallet in two in my rush to give you my money.

I may have cared to buy the game at one stage. Don't any more.

Good news for me, I was interested in this game at the time, but you know, no console. Will buy in the the remote hope that RDR might get a PC port if it proves a success.

Yes I am still pissed about RDR.not getting a PC release. No I will not let it go.

I have it for the PS3... But... Hats... must... have... hats... *Pulls out wallet to preorder*

If I want third person strategy only done a million times better, I'll play sacrifice.
Brutal legend is awesome and all but it tried to be so many things that it didn't really hit the mark in either of them.
It is also quite optimized for gamepads so the pc version will probably be quite awkward to play.

Steve the Pocket:
Hold on. This is on Steam? Not Origin? *checks store* Holy crap, Double Fine is listed as the publisher! How the hell did they manage to wrest control away from EA? It took them like six years to get Psychonauts out from under the thumb of Majesco, and Majesco's not even... well, EA!

I dont know if EA actually ever owned the rights to Brutal Legend. Since they were not the original publisher and it switched to EA mid development it leads me to believe they always had them. I could be wrong but that is how I see it.

loa:
If I want third person strategy only done a million times better, I'll play sacrifice.
Brutal legend is awesome and all but it tried to be so many things that it didn't really hit the mark in either of them.
It is also quite optimized for gamepads so the pc version will probably be quite awkward to play.

That is the biggest mistake I keep on seeing about Brutal Legend. The people who play it just dont understand what it is. Its not a third person strategy game its a hack and slash game where you also get to control an army.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here