ISS Commander Records Song With Barenaked Ladies From Space

ISS Commander Records Song With Barenaked Ladies From Space

Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield played and sang his space guitar from orbit in an original musical collaboration.

Chris Hadfield, the tweeting, Mardi Gras celebrating, fingernail clipping, mustachioed commander of the International Space Station, may have topped even himself by recording a song with the Barenaked Ladies - from space. "I.S.S. (Is Somebody Singing)" might just be the first earth-space musical collaboration in human history, and is pretty catchy to boot. Hadfield's space guitar skills were never disputed, but his Gordon Lightfoot-esque folk vocals add something special to the Barenaked Ladies' musical talents, especially backed up by a choir. The song was presented as a celebration of music education in Canadian public schools by CBCMusic.ca, The Coalition for Music Education, and the Canadian Space Agency.

If you've got any questions about how the collaboration was made, Hadfield will be hosting a G+ Hangout with some other ISS astronauts on February 22, and he's currently taking questions. If you haven't, you should check Hadfield out on Twitter, where he often posts pictures taken from orbit.

Source: Twitter

It cost $150 billion USD to put those tubes and panels into orbit.
That song was worth every penny.

DVS BSTrD:

Here bloody here sir.

That was amazing.

DVS BSTrD:

Fucking agreed. That was such a good song. I love BNL

In this world of little annoying nitpicks and general mediocrity, it's nice to be reminded that we still can have nice things.

i was promised bare naked ladies.

well, the song damped my disappointment.
so no rage fuelled killing spree today.

That just blows me away. Sometimes forget I live in the future my parents imagined.

BNL.... with an astronaut... 10 to 1 odds this'll turn up in something BBT related.

Wow...that was pretty awesome. Especially the floating Guitar Pick.

Maybe someday we'll be able to launch all our greatest musicians into space for floating concerts...and all our least liked ones into the sun...I'm looking at you Bieber...

JonB:
...Barenaked-Ladies-From-Space...

I assumed we had finally made contact with the Asari... but this is good too... I guess...

Nice but I just don't understand how did they synchronized? The communication should have a couple of hundreds of ms latency.

vezon:
Nice but I just don't understand how did they synchronized? The communication should have a couple of hundreds of ms latency.

As much as I hate to ruin the magic, I heavily suspect that the ISS bits were pre-recorded and what you are seeing in this video is editing magic.

Without googling extensive research I can't be sure but it just seems like the most likely explanation, the bit at the start with the floating guitar pick where he taps his patch to say that they match without saying a word is a little...off too.

Edit: Darn, forgot my on topic. OT: I love this video, it's like 3?4?5?6? of my favourite things combined.

Scorched_Cascade:

vezon:

As much as I hate to ruin the magic, I heavily suspect that the ISS bits were pre-recorded and what you are seeing in this video is editing magic.

Without googling extensive research I can't be sure but it just seems like the most likely explanation, the bit at the start with the floating guitar pick where he taps his patch to say that they match without saying a word is a little...off too.

Edit: Darn, forgot my on topic. OT: I love this video, it's like 3?4?5?6? of my favourite things combined.

Yes the ISS fragments most probably have been recorded before.
Some time ago on /r/Ask Science this got answered and result was that ISS has ping of about 300-500ms. And that is just to ground not counting additional delay across cable and fiber.

OT: But that doesn't count. This video is still amazing.

Proud to be part of the human species right now. We may be warlike, deceitful and intolerant, but we made that there. That has to redeem us somewhat, right?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here