Valve's Newell Issues Firings Statement

Pages PREV 1 2

Strazdas:

Abomination:
There is a very big feeling of "got nothing to hide so why don't you tell?" but the thing is that Valve CAN NOT tell the public why someone was fired. I believe it could even be illegal due to breach of privacy.

I think the shoe could be on the other foot. The people who were fired could have been fired for abuse of privilege. Remember a few years back how we learned that people who worked for Valve had a high degree of personal freedom but also responsibility. Perhaps that management and employment strategy has come full circle and certain members needed to be reminded that if you want to have an awesome work environment then you better work awesomely.

Yes, my comment went broad enough to argue that americas current law system is not perfect.

Actually that particular law IS good. A company with that much media coverage could be devastating to an individual, especially in such a niche employment market.

Imagine it, any significant employer in the gaming industry would be watching this particular situation quite closely and taking notes. A future interview with those who were laid off/fired from Valve WILL include this question "So why did you leave Valve?". If Valve has already given a public reason for it that particular individual might not even get an interview, let alone be shortlisted and would have no way of countering the claims made by Valve's statements.

Abomination:

Strazdas:

Abomination:
There is a very big feeling of "got nothing to hide so why don't you tell?" but the thing is that Valve CAN NOT tell the public why someone was fired. I believe it could even be illegal due to breach of privacy.

I think the shoe could be on the other foot. The people who were fired could have been fired for abuse of privilege. Remember a few years back how we learned that people who worked for Valve had a high degree of personal freedom but also responsibility. Perhaps that management and employment strategy has come full circle and certain members needed to be reminded that if you want to have an awesome work environment then you better work awesomely.

Yes, my comment went broad enough to argue that americas current law system is not perfect.

Actually that particular law IS good. A company with that much media coverage could be devastating to an individual, especially in such a niche employment market.

Imagine it, any significant employer in the gaming industry would be watching this particular situation quite closely and taking notes. A future interview with those who were laid off/fired from Valve WILL include this question "So why did you leave Valve?". If Valve has already given a public reason for it that particular individual might not even get an interview, let alone be shortlisted and would have no way of countering the claims made by Valve's statements.

A company stating why they laid off an employee is a GOOD thing with one caveat: the company has to tell the truth. This is hard to achieve in real life, so a lie from Valve could negatively affect his career. telling the truth will not, unless he did got laid off for wanking, in which case its good that others know. and any seriuos employer will be curiuos, regardless. If lie is not a factor, lack of privacy is good. if lie is a factor, its a big gray area, but if valve woudl be known for lieing usually seriuos employer woudl disregard any claims from them anyway.

Strazdas:

Abomination:

A company stating why they laid off an employee is a GOOD thing with one caveat: the company has to tell the truth. This is hard to achieve in real life, so a lie from Valve could negatively affect his career. telling the truth will not, unless he did got laid off for wanking, in which case its good that others know. and any seriuos employer will be curiuos, regardless. If lie is not a factor, lack of privacy is good. if lie is a factor, its a big gray area, but if valve woudl be known for lieing usually seriuos employer woudl disregard any claims from them anyway.

And therein lies the problem, how many false positives or false negatives would be generated? The number of times a company would have to defend itself from such lawsuits even if they DIDN'T lie - especially given the United States' sue happy climate.

It's better for everyone involved if the prospective interviewee is asked why they were fired, asked to provide a reference (that the interviewee supplies) and the interviewer decides if that reference is valid and synopsis given of the interviewee's character is positive.

Not disclosing reasons for dismissal to the public (short of criminal convictions) is best for all parties involved.

Fair enough, it's his company and if I were him I wouldn't want people casting disingenuous aspersions either.

Abomination:
And therein lies the problem, how many false positives or false negatives would be generated? The number of times a company would have to defend itself from such lawsuits even if they DIDN'T lie - especially given the United States' sue happy climate.

It's better for everyone involved if the prospective interviewee is asked why they were fired, asked to provide a reference (that the interviewee supplies) and the interviewer decides if that reference is valid and synopsis given of the interviewee's character is positive.

Not disclosing reasons for dismissal to the public (short of criminal convictions) is best for all parties involved.

Yes, i can ageree that the source of many problems is lieing and sue-happy enviroment. however in your method the chance of lieing goes toward the employee, and he has much more reason to lie beucase that may earn him a job in the interview. The reference would be as public as any valve statement anyway, which would pretty much either render it useless or break the privacy of the situation, so its a tool that doesnt really do anything for us now.

Strazdas:
however if you got nothing to hide, you got nothing to be afraid of.

Still doesn't mean I'd take kindly to people nosing around my life all the damn time. Can't a guy eat his lunch in peace?

As for OT, well, I would prefer if some more relevant information was released, so that we can get a picture of what's going on. Not a case of "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" (which is a shitty argument in and of itself), but more a case of, "Nothing you can say can be as bad as stuff some people will inevitably come up with in speculation".

Vegosiux:

Strazdas:

Still doesn't mean I'd take kindly to people nosing around my life all the damn time. Can't a guy eat his lunch in peace?

Why do you care that someone sees you eating lunch?

Strazdas:

Vegosiux:

Strazdas:

I don't see how it's anyone's business what I have for lunch (except if I'm eating out naturally, can't get my lunch without telling the waiter what I want first, so it's their business too), and I do like to enjoy it in peace. I also do not give my credit card information freely to anyone who asks, even if they ensure me I have nothing to fear if everything is legit with my finances.

Vegosiux:

Strazdas:

Vegosiux:

I don't see how it's anyone's business what I have for lunch (except if I'm eating out naturally, can't get my lunch without telling the waiter what I want first, so it's their business too), and I do like to enjoy it in peace. I also do not give my credit card information freely to anyone who asks, even if they ensure me I have nothing to fear if everything is legit with my finances.

So you have nothing to back up your statement of needing private lunch. Being conditioned to think that you can only have peace if your in hiding is not good enough.

Strazdas:

So you have nothing to back up your statement of needing private lunch. Being conditioned to think that you can only have peace if your in hiding is not good enough.

How odd. I never made any of those two statements. I did say I'd get annoyed if people were nosing around, yeah, but "needing" anything?

I'd be tempted to question where you just pulled all that straw from, but I won't, for I am loath to hear the answer. I will, however, say that you're not being particularly crafty or clever there. You're starting to remind me of someone, though...

We're all curious as to why these people were fired/layed off, especially considering that Valve tends to be the game developer many of us look to as being the ideal company to work for. The simple truth is that Valve is a Company that needs to make money to continue operating. We'd all love to paint Valve as the ideal corporation that has never fired anyone, but that's just idealistic.

In my eyes, as long as Valve does nothing to screw over its customers, then they're okay by me. Firing employees, and laying others off is all part of running a business.

They touched Gabe's lunch.

No one touches Gabe's food.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook