Ghost in the Shell MMOFPS Due In 2014.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yes, Tachikoma will be yours to play with, in the Ghost in the Shell game.

Developer Nexon, best known for its free to play titles like MapleStory, has been spilling some secrets about its upcoming Ghost in the Shell MMOFPS, including its expected launch date: 2014, in Japan, though Nexon does intend to release it worldwide.

The game will focus on hacking and shooting as you, heroic operative of Section 9, try to make sure the opposition don't get their hands on vital strategic resources. "In addition to the dynamic gunfight action between cyborgs," says Nexon, "the game also incorporates cyberization and various other concepts that are present in the original work. It also provides diverse contents such as cooperative battle mode, a new concept that integrates artificial intelligence with the player."

If you happen to have a knack for reading kanji, you may want to head over here, as there's not much information in English about this one. Initial data suggests that there will be character customization - that cyberization Nexon mentioned - and you will get to control Tachikoma, as well as play as members of Section 9. The Ghost in the Shell manga, created by Masamune Shirow and developed for the screen by Production I.G., is among the most highly regarded Japanese titles out there; there will be a lot of fans eager to see what Nexon has in store for them.

Source: VG24/7

people claiming a fangasm within the next 20 posts.

will also keep an eye on it. and with the success of hawken i bet we will have some mech sections.

I call dibs on the character name 'The Major'.

Whether it'll be any good, however...

Well... colour me mildly interested I suppose.

The property is certainly fitting for a game, but it's all in the execution and all that.

Karloff:
Developer Nexon, best known for its free to play titles

All I needed to read. This one's a pass, folks.

Well, as my avatar would suggest, I'm a pretty big fan of GitS, but I'm not sure about this. The GitS series and films are widely regarded for their storytelling, both plots and characterisation, so a game of it that's rather open-ended, and likely to have little in a way of story or personality, is a little worrying.

Terramax:
Well, as my avatar would suggest, I'm a pretty big fan of GitS, but I'm not sure about this. The GitS series and films are widely regarded for their storytelling, both plots and characterisation, so a game of it that's rather open-ended, and likely to have little in a way of story or personality, is a little worrying.

i hear you. also a big fan of the movies and the series. lost counting how many times i have watched them all.
i will keep an eye on it but i sure will not get it blindly without proper information how the game really is.

Man, it's a good week to be a GitS fan. granted I probably won't play this because I have MMO's but still!

God dammit. Why must this property always be wasted on things like this?
Where's my L.A Noire inspired sci-fi detective drama already? GitS has some cool action, but it's the way they deal with a possible future with cybernetic enhancements that's the main pull.
Let me chase a Laughing Man through future Japan already!

Terramax:

This exactly! It's a coincidence I was just wondering about a nice RPG-like GitS game yesterday. But why the hell would you make an MMOFPS of it!!?? I don't understand. This manga/anime lends itself so good to make an awsome game, but I guess that will never happen...

Daystar Clarion:

I call Togusa.

It's always pissed me off that's never been good Ghost in the Shell game. The setting is practically BEGGING for a good game adaptation. even if you didn't play as the Major, Batou, or Togusa you could still do something cool with it

Karloff:

I was with them all the way up FP.
I mean, what good is playing Motoko in a videogame if you can't stare at her ass?

Aiddon:

Daystar Clarion:

I call Togusa.

I call Batou :P

I am a huge fan of G.I.T.S, but also not a fan of MMO's due to how grindy and repetitive they are. I shall keep an eye on this, but am not expecting anything amazing as of yet.

Wow first the new series Arise and now this.
It look like they making that franchise lively again which hopefully the MMORPS will be good.

I feel like this will be a waste of resources, best case scenario it's a generic mmo. Sad, because they could make a pretty cool single player in the Ghost in the Shell universe, I can think of it as an adventure game like those from TellTale, and like a third-person shooter with lots of action, like Uncharted, maybe some light RPG to it, but I CAN'T imagine it as an MMOFPS...

DVS BSTrD:

Karloff:

I mean, what good is playing Motoko in a videogame if you can't stare at her ass?

Aiddon:

Daystar Clarion:

I call Togusa.

You sunnova...!

OT: If Masamune is behind the story and aesthetic aspects of this project, I'm on board. Nexon has made a few games that have given me severe cases of insomnia (mainly because I'm not happy until I get the MACHINE GUN!!!) and they have been kinda fun, in that MMO way. Ghost in the Shell is one of the few mangas and japanese cartoons that I love. I just look at this and go,"Why can't you make more of this!? Why does there have to be more schoolgirls in sexualized mini skirts and more badass women with reasons to badass, have deep characterizations and characters, and a story that focuses as much on political intrigue as it does on the line between machine and man!?"

This show and comic was great, I think there was already one game but an MMOFPS couldn't hurt, maybe it'll play like a better polished version of the multiplayer in Syndicate. I remember in the show you cuoold hack people to go blind or erase any image of yourself. And the cyberization could work like Deus Ex. Oh! Or maybe every upgrade has a hack that counters it! Like if you have eyes like Batou you can see in low-light areas and pick up heat signatures, but if your hacked, you go completely blind for 5 seconds.

Yeah this is gonna be good! There is a LOT of room for experimentation in this kind of setting.

I would've preferred a game focusing more on Sector 9 and its faculty, i.e. a more story centric game, but I'll take it where I can get it. I just hope Nexon does something to keep the story and characters at the center, because that's what made this IP great: Shirow's writing and thought put into this world. I'm looking forward to it though.

Off topic: Why isn't there a Deus Ex:HR mod where you play as Sector 9? It can't be that hard to pull off, could it?

:D:D:D:D:D...

rhizhim:
people claiming a fangasm within the next 20 posts.

will also keep an eye on it. and with the success of hawken i bet we will have some mech sections.

Oh... you got me...

But yeah, Im rather happy to hear this...

DO! NOT! SUCK!

This, I hope, will be like NeoTokyo on roids!

I'm rather ecstatic about hearing this since I'm looking forward to watching Arise and have always loved GITS.

But while an MMO can be good for some an actual game with co-op and some multiplayer built in could do better since we wouldn't have to suffer the ongoing grind sessions and waiting forever for new content to be released.

Also I call dibs on Ishikawa =P.

Nexon... MMOFPS...
Yeah, its going to be one of those F2P deathmatch games where its just pointless shooting.

It took 3 letters to make me cringe at this. "F-P-S". If doesn't bother me that Nexon is heading this up. That did a damn good job with the Vindictus MMO. I just don't want the GITS game to be an FPS. Melee combat should be a viable option that looks better than a swinging hand. If there;s a 3rd person melee option, I'll forgive anything else.

I don't know... best Ghost In The Shell game I've played was ONI... it's got quite the high bar to hit.

...Ok, yeah, it's not an "official" GTIS game, but come on. You basically play as Motoko and punch/shoot everything that moves. Plus I'll use any chance I can to mention ONI.

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Sounds interesting.

Fuck. Batou's already been called. You guys are jerks!

I call the creepy, scar-faced virgin man!

Zhukov:

The property is certainly fitting for a game, but it's all in the execution and all that.

you are becomming more and more a full member of the neutral zone.

isnt there any game that can excite you anymore?

rhizhim:

Zhukov:

you are becomming more and more a full member of the neutral zone.

isnt there any game that can excite you anymore?

Sure there are. It's just that no games that excite me have been released in the last few months.

When a game impresses me I usually come and have a bit of a gush on these forums. This was the last game to receive that treatment.

Get back to me when Bioshock Infinite comes out. I have high hopes for that title.

Hectix777:

DVS BSTrD:

Karloff:

Aiddon:

I call Togusa.

You sunnova...!

OT: If Masamune is behind the story and aesthetic aspects of this project, I'm on board. Nexon has made a few games that have given me severe cases of insomnia (mainly because I'm not happy until I get the MACHINE GUN!!!) and they have been kinda fun, in that MMO way. Ghost in the Shell is one of the few mangas and japanese cartoons that I love. I just look at this and go,"Why can't you make more of this!? Why does there have to be more schoolgirls in sexualized mini skirts and more badass women with reasons to badass, have deep characterizations and characters, and a story that focuses as much on political intrigue as it does on the line between machine and man!?"

This show and comic was great, I think there was already one game but an MMOFPS couldn't hurt, maybe it'll play like a better polished version of the multiplayer in Syndicate. I remember in the show you cuoold hack people to go blind or erase any image of yourself. And the cyberization could work like Deus Ex. Oh! Or maybe every upgrade has a hack that counters it! Like if you have eyes like Batou you can see in low-light areas and pick up heat signatures, but if your hacked, you go completely blind for 5 seconds.

Yeah this is gonna be good! There is a LOT of room for experimentation in this kind of setting.

I would've preferred a game focusing more on Sector 9 and its faculty, i.e. a more story centric game, but I'll take it where I can get it. I just hope Nexon does something to keep the story and characters at the center, because that's what made this IP great: Shirow's writing and thought put into this world. I'm looking forward to it though.

Off topic: Why isn't there a Deus Ex:HR mod where you play as Sector 9? It can't be that hard to pull off, could it?

I'll take Saito then.

OT: I'm with the majority here, I'm happy to hear about a Ghost in the shell game and if its made as more of a co-op based MMO with story based instances then it could be pretty awesome. If it's a terrible grind y wow clone with a cyberpunk skin then I'll cry.

Ooh! GITS! In a game! A- wait, MMO... never mind. Just maple story with a different skin and names. Crappy combat, menial and repetative grinding, freemium model, nooo I would be very suprised if this turns out good or even non-generic.

Irridium:
I don't know... best Ghost In The Shell game I've played was ONI... it's got quite the high bar to hit.

...Ok, yeah, it's not an "official" GTIS game, but come on. You basically play as Motoko and punch/shoot everything that moves. Plus I'll use any chance I can to mention ONI.

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Sounds interesting.

Oh I remember that game. Fun as hell!

Would much rather see another game like that but sadly not likely to happen.

This seems like a huge waste of an IP. There is no reason why this game needs to be called Ghost in the Shell other than we didn't think people would buy the game without that name. Honestly, reminds me of the 360 Shadowrun release.

I wonder how many XXXmajormokotoXXX there will be. Also a fps mmo? pass there are alot of things that could be done with the GITS universe making a online deathmatch smacks of a a really shallow idea.

I would like to see someone get this license and make something similar to Deus Ex out of it. All the required bits are already there, it just needs a more Ghost in the Shell like story and the characters put into place and you've got it down. That and slip in Oni's hand to had combat system because that was fucking awesome.

I actually think a GITS MMO could work really well. We're talking about a setting where more and more of the population is integrating itself into a digital society, and the next step of human evolution is to fuse fully with digital technology and become post-human. The nature of online communities such as those in MMOs fits pretty damn snugly with that.

Yeah I was pretty much instantly put off when I saw Nexon so this will be a wait and see for me.

Awww yeah!
But if these guys can pull it off is kinda doubtfull imho...

all I really think from the description is that it sounds like sydicate but from what i seen of the anime it would be like crysis so a combination of the two would lead oh god....a lot of stealth armor breach hack shoot this could not be good

Well that was unexpected... Stand Alone Complex is one of my favourite anime ever. But I really don't care for MMO's. But hey, as long as it leads to a snazy concept art book! (assuming they don't visually butcher it)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here