GameStop Says Gamers Won't Buy Consoles Without Used Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

otakon17:

Jesse Billingsley:

DVS BSTrD:
So guys, how many of you would refuse to buy a console that didn't play used games?

If I don't have a physical copy, used or not, and if the console requires CONSTANT internet access in order to turn the damn thing on, I might as well just give up gaming all together.

This right here, I like being able to play games without having to worry about other stuff. Man sometimes I miss the days of cartridges.

Still got my N64 Bro! Shout out to Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Mario 64!

OT: I have a feeling that Microsoft and Sony (should these rumors prove to be true) are going to end up shooting themselves in the face. I predict a massive drop in the in console gaming, and a massive increase in things like Steam, Free to play games, and PC gaming in general because most of the games do not require internet access to play them, and the ones that do can run on a standard computer with enough RAMM.

otakon17:

Jesse Billingsley:

DVS BSTrD:
So guys, how many of you would refuse to buy a console that didn't play used games?

If I don't have a physical copy, used or not, and if the console requires CONSTANT internet access in order to turn the damn thing on, I might as well just give up gaming all together.

This right here, I like being able to play games without having to worry about other stuff. Man sometimes I miss the days of cartridges.

Agreed. The only thing I had to concern myself with back then is which game will be the most fun?

MikeWehner:

Will stopping used games lead to console downfall? GameStop really hopes so... in vain.

Fixed it for ya, Mike! ;)

You know, I didn't buy the Fire Emblem 3DS Bundle to buy used games. I didn't buy it to support GameStop (but it kinda did, considering GameStop was pretty much the only place near me selling them, but it was worth it). I bought it for that fucking game, pre-installed on the system. I buy consoles for games. Will the lack of used game sales (which is utterly pointless. Any game system that uses physical media is bound to have used sales, GameStop or not. You have sites like Ebay, Amazon.com, and so on) mean that you'll have less game sales on consoles because they're all new, and potentially harm console gaming in the long run? We'll have to see how the industry evolves and adapts to digital distribution and find out.

GameStop has incorrectly cast "used games" and "lower prices" (the one and only factor that keeps gamers from buying games brand new) as inseparables, which is just not true. With a cut on distribution prices, the game industry is going to have to put that money elsewhere, and lower the cost of digital to act as an incentive for gamers to make the switch. Fuck, Steam's waaaaaaay ahead of the game in that respect, and we'll see if the proverb "He who strikes first, strikes twice" bodes true in the long run.

Speaking of my first paragraph, people say Nintendo screwed up with the shipping on Fire Emblem 3DS to have gamers ragequit on their physical preorders and download the game digitally (which did release on the Nintendo eShop before most GameStops in the States got their shipments). It was a pain in the ass to me (considering I didn't have a 3DS to download it to in the first place; it's a bundle, for fuck's sake), but I'd say if you separated the physical release date and the digital download release date, you know you'd have more gamers going digital if only to score their next anticipated release a couple days (or potentially, weeks) earlier.

Maybe, used games is gray area for me
Although it seems fishy that such claim comes from Gamestop
(seems as legit as some radical religion nut claiming that world will end and burn if we allow two men fuck each other in the ass while being married)

For fuck sake. Can someone make it clear just how much cheaper used games actually are? Because in New Zealand, they're not even ten bucks cheaper. And games here are about a hundred bucks on release.

The thing is, while ignoring Gamestop not making as much money, that'd mean a lot of people won't play some games. I never liked the Saint's Row games that much. Ive probably put about five hours into each game. All of which I borrowed from a friend. I absolutely love Red Faction: Guerilla, but I'd never have played it without borrowing it from a friend. SOmetimes you want to play a game, and enjoy it, but after however long the campaign is, you'll never touch the game again. And sometimes that's not worth buying the game in the first place........

....so...does borrowing a game from a friend the same as piracy? Because one person bought the game,and another plays the game for free...

Milanezi:

erttheking:

DVS BSTrD:

To be perfectly honest, I probably wouldn't.

I wouldn't either, I'm painstakingly picky when I'm buying a game and usually I buy brand new games, I only buy used games when I can't find brand new stuff, or if I'm not so sure about the game and the used version way cheaper...

Add me to the list also. I would still buy updated consoles. It's just a question of the right price, and when there's a decent number of games I want for the system.

Charli:
I have one it's called my PC.

I play it more than any other of my 'consoles'. Funny that.

I'm getting a new computer soon and I think that I'll be playing it a lot more then my Xbox360. Mainly as I'm a huge strategy game fan which I have been missing quite a bit and I'm interested in a lot of the exclusives such as Planetside 2.
I'm not even sure if I'll get the new generation console; if it has all the features that I have heard about such as always online and no used games etc.

Also the other reason that I wouldn't get a console without used games is that me and my friends lend games to each other when we have completed them. Last December, I lent one of my friends Assassin's Creed 3 while he lent me Far Cry 3. I would say I lent quite a few games, no where near the amount that I buy, I bought over 30 xbox360 games and I probably lend like just saying coming up to ten I think. I have also got quite a few games cheap whilst 2nd hand when it's either a lot cheaper or I'm uncertain about a game.

MikeWehner:

Will stopping used games lead to console downfall? GameStop says so.

In the wake of rumors that Sony and Microsoft are planning ways to block used games on their new consoles

See that everyone...RUMORS. Not fact. RUMORS!

Pipe the hell down...for god sake.

These rumours started with just Sony, but because Microsoft are obviously well known for jumping on Sony's bandwagon (/sarcasm) a rumour just had to be made for both *rolls eyes*

Until a statement or something from either Sony or Microsoft is released, i think everyone should stop belly aching, and wait, fair enough if you have your own opinion on the matter, and what you think might happen, but don't berate them for something they haven't even confirmed! -.-

I'm going to laugh at you all when either Microsoft, Sony, or both, deny the rumours. And, if they turn out to be true, hell ill just get me a WiiU unti they see the error of there ways...simple.

arc1991:

MikeWehner:

In the wake of rumors that Sony and Microsoft are planning ways to block used games on their new consoles

These rumours started with just Sony, but because Microsoft are obviously well known for jumping on Sony's bandwagon (/sarcasm) a rumour just had to be made for both *rolls eyes*

Until a statement or something from either Sony or Microsoft is released, i think everyone should stop belly aching, and wait, fair enough if you have your own opinion on the matter, and what you think might happen, but don't berate them for something they haven't even confirmed! -.-

I'm going to laugh at you all when either Microsoft, Sony, or both, deny the rumours. And, if they turn out to be true, hell ill just get me a WiiU unti they see the error of there ways...simple.

Wonder why it's taking Microsoft so long to deny this rumor?

There's a little work-around where one waits a year & buys the game new at used prices,though this only works with physical media.

Honestly, if next gen consoles didn't play used games, I wont get them. I already have almost no income, the only way I can get games today is if I trade in games for credit to get used games, only sometimes getting new ones (if I'm lucky). Even with my low income, I would eventually save up enough for one, but if they can't play used games It's going to be impossible for me. Ill have to stick with the 360/ps3 or put what money I have into PC

Crono1973:

Wonder why it took Glenn Beck so long to deny the rumour that he raped and murdered that little girl....

likalaruku:
There's a little work-around where one waits a year & buys the game new at used prices,though this only works with physical media.

And assumes the physical media doesn't require some sort of digital key. Look, it's already a hassle to get an online pass for your new copy of a year-old EA game. The code in the box for an online pass expires after a year, you see.

The other flaw is that while shelf space real estate is a factor for decreased prices, competition with the used market is another. If used sales are thwarted, prices WILL depreciate slower. Therefore, in a market where the workaround becomes more necessary, it also becomes less viable.

I wouldn't even consider buying a console without used games if publishers insist on their huge retail prices. I'll happily buy cheap games second hand, from services like Steam or GOG or rent them all year round, but can only ever afford to sink money into a new AAA release once or twice a year.

And even then, I'll only do it for games in a franchise I'm already a huge huge fan of, like Mass Effect 3 & LEGO Batman 2 (my last two new AAA games). I know there's a lot of gamers like me who rely on methods like these to play AAA games and I believe there's more than enough people out there also willing to forego a console to seriously cripple any system's chance of success.

If I could walk into a store six months after a game's come out and pick it up new for 20 instead of buying it for 10 off of Amazon, I'd be willing to do that to support the industry. But full price every time? Not a chance.

Zachary Amaranth:

Crono1973:

Wonder why it took Glenn Beck so long to deny the rumour that he raped and murdered that little girl....

Yes, because a criminal charge is EXACTLY like this.

Crono1973:

arc1991:

MikeWehner:

Why just Microsoft? Sony is part of this rumour to you know.

Also, E3 is coming in the summer, where every thing about these new consoles will undoubtedly be revealed...NOTHING has been released on any of these new consoles so why would they confirm/deny something about a console that hasn't been confirmed? Everything to do with these new consoles is rumoured. for all we know they could be shown at next years E3, and not this years.

Crono1973:

And yet somehow, the point remains the same. Would you like it rephrased, or is the absurdity of guilt by silence apparent yet?

arc1991:

BCUZ MICRO$OFT IS DA DEBUL!

I mean, sure, it was Sony who patented technology theoretically allowing this, and they were the first to be rumoured to do it (which makes sense as they patented the technology), but I hate Microso$oft so I'll blame them because...PONIES!

arc1991:

Crono1973:

arc1991:

Also, E3 is coming in the summer, where every thing about these new consoles will undoubtedly be revealed...NOTHING has been released on any of these new consoles so why would they confirm/deny something about a console that hasn't been confirmed? Everything to do with these new consoles is rumoured. for all we know they could be shown at next years E3, and not this years.

The rumor was specific to Microsoft. Sony merely has a patent which means nothing.

Zachary Amaranth:

Crono1973:

And yet somehow, the point remains the same. Would you like it rephrased, or is the absurdity of guilt by silence apparent yet?

It is wise to remain silent where criminal accusations are concerned, totally different ball game.

The fact about used games that publishers aren't addressing is availability. If its not a blockbuster, it is really difficult to find a game brand new after a year. This is because unlike CDs & DVDs, games don't get re-issued. It's too expensive for the publisher. The only way to get a hold of a game that is 2+ years old is to buy it used.

I got my 360 in 2009 & I bought; Bioshock, Condmened, DMC4 & Mass Effect all used because there was no way of me buying them new.
What really pisses me off is when publishers/developers are so ignorant of this. When Epic's CEO said he hates used game sales. If it wasn't for used games I never would have bought Gears of War 2 became a big fan of the series & then buy the books, controller & then the collector's edition of Gears 3. Then get subsequently dissapointed in it.

Alot of people get into franhcises because of used gaems. If they start on the 2nd or 3rd in a series and they love it they'll then want to go back and play the previous games which is only possible with used games.

I wouldn't buy a console that wouldn't let me play used games. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft are that stupid. Hopefully Sony aren't or otherwise the only next gen console i'll be getting is the Wii U!

Crono1973:

It is wise to remain silent where criminal accusations are concerned, totally different ball game.

No, it's not wise to remain silent. Silence in both cases leads to inferred guilt. If anything, Glenn Beck's silence is more damning than Microsoft. Not only is the comparison (of the denial, not the scope) valid, but your logic is backwards.

Sorry.

Crono1973:

The rumor was specific to Microsoft. Sony merely has a patent which means nothing.

that's completely untrue, too. Rumours hit the PS"4" first, and actually had a level of weight behind them because of the patent.

Zachary Amaranth:

Crono1973:

that's completely untrue, too. Rumours hit the PS"4" first, and actually had a level of weight behind them because of the patent.

ONLY because of the patent. Not because anyone got their hands on a PS4 or PS4 dev kit and experienced it's limitations first hand. Having a patent means nothing.

No, it's not wise to remain silent. Silence in both cases leads to inferred guilt. If anything, Glenn Beck's silence is more damning than Microsoft. Not only is the comparison (of the denial, not the scope) valid, but your logic is backwards.

Sorry.

No, in criminal cases it is wise to let your attorneys do the talking because anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

In a criminal case there are two courts, the court of public opinion and the court of law. The court of law is the superior court. In this case, there is only one court, the court of public opinion and right now even Gamestop is taking the rumor seriously enough to make a statement to the press.

Microsoft Office 2013 can only be used on a single computer. It's still fuzzy to me on what happens if you upgrade your computer, but if this is the route microsoft is going with one of its most popular products, I think it's safe to say they are pursuing this with video games.

Publishers are shooting themselves in the foot with this used game hate.
Has anyone here ever pre-ordered or bought a game new that wasn't a sequel? I'd bet that you pre-ordered the sequel because you bought the original, or an earlier one, used before and loved it. That's how this works. You make every game HAVE to be bought new, and nobody buys retail anymore. The AAA game industry will be literally nothing but sequels of existing IP's for years, and they will inevitably die, leaving AAA publishers having to come up with new IP that people won't buy because of the risk, and the retail games market will be empty and dead.

maybe. I probably wouldn't
unless of course retail prices of new games (disc or digital) were only $30-40 then

DVS BSTrD:

Probably not,especially considering that would make older games really hard to get a hold of.

Without used games I wouldn't own half the games I do.

Crono1973:

arc1991:

Crono1973:

It's about consoles in general, the title doesn't say "GameStop Says Gamers Won't Buy Microsoft Consoles Without Used Xbox Games" it says "GameStop Says Gamers Won't Buy Consoles Without Used Games" Implying every console, and as far as i am aware, Sony creates Consoles.

arc1991:

Crono1973:

arc1991:

It's about consoles in general, the title doesn't say "GameStop Says Gamers Won't Buy Microsoft Consoles Without Used Xbox Games" it says "GameStop Says Gamers Won't Buy Consoles Without Used Games" Implying every console, and as far as i am aware, Sony creates Consoles.

When I said rumor, I was referring to the rumor (imagine that) about Durango blocking used games, not what Gaemstop said. The Sony had a patent was not a rumor, it was a fact.

Crono1973:

ONLY because of the patent.

Whereas the other had nothing, even in your contrived instance of "hands on activity."

So not helping your argument.

No, in criminal cases it is wise to let your attorneys do the talking because anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

You're really stretching here. Especially since there was no criminal court involved. Again, your argument fails to meet even the basic standards of credibility.

So...

Not only are you trying to justify a double standard, you have left me with absolutely no confidence that you know what you're talking about. It seems you're assuming things into fact where convenient.

In the end:

Microsoft should speak to clear their name in the court of public opinion because you really really want to cast dispersions at them. that is all. This is why you're trying to defend Sony against more severe and justified claims (the Microsoft rumours originate from the Sony ones) and defend the Beck instance while apparently not understanding its origins.

Crono1973:

When I said rumor, I was referring to the rumor (imagine that) about Durango blocking used games, not what Gaemstop said. The Sony had a patent was not a rumor, it was a fact.

And rumours exist for Sony, as well, so the distinction is false.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here