Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U Hasn't Been Canceled

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U Hasn't Been Canceled

The release date is indefinite, but the game is still a go, says Sega.

At this point, it might be considered a mercy if Aliens: Colonial Marines didn't show up on the Wii U, but like it or not, the game is still a go. Fans expressed some concern (or possibly relief) when Kotaku intimated that the game might be the latest casualty of the Xenomorph menace, and when its Amazon listing disappeared. However, according to Sega, the game is still very much in the works.

Regarding rumors of the title's cancellation, "It's not true," said a Sega UK representative. "We haven't announced the release date for it yet but that's it." The Wii U version of A:CM has never had a solid release date, so the fact that it still lacks one is perhaps not shocking. The game was initially supposed to come out during the Wii U's "launch window," which concludes in March. That timeline for the game is still not impossible, but seems less likely in light of the Amazon listing disappearing.

Gearbox had previously indicated that A:CM might be able to do some exciting things with both the graphics and gameplay mechanics, given the Wii U's relatively powerful hardware and innovative controller. If the Wii U version plays more like the demo than the finalized game, a release would still be well worthwhile. Otherwise, it may be better to nuke the title from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Source: Eurogamer

Just watch, the version for the Wii U will be the version of the game everyone was promised.

Then we know for sure that the apocalypse is coming.

Somehow I doubt the pre-orders will break any records. Although if it wasn't for the production costs etc. it'd be better for them in many respects if they did cancel, it's not like it's going to be better than the other versions.

TheProfessor234:
Just watch, the version for the Wii U will be the version of the game everyone was promised.

And then the NDF gets a valuable new weapon maybe!

Make it like that demo and we'll talk Gearbox, but until then screw you I'ma wait for Metroid.

First Rayman, now this? WHat's going on with the Wii U? The Wonderful 101 has no release date either.

AzrealMaximillion:
First Rayman, now this? WHat's going on with the Wii U? The Wonderful 101 has no release date either.

To be fair, it's not really Nintendo's or the system's 'fault.'

Aliens: Colonial Marines is just horrible tripe and Ubisoft got greedy and made a poor choice on a business decision.

As for Wonderful 101, obviously no one has any idea but it still looks like a great game.

I wish that the WiiU version is like the one in the demo. The internet shitstorm after that would be glorious. Almost Bayonetta 2 tier shitstorm.
Sorry, but I just love to watch the inetrnet rage.

They should totally cancel it and refund everyone who bought a copy.

I don't think it's going to be an improvement. As Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge proved, you can polish it all you want, but if it's rotten at the core, all the polish in the world isn't going to help.

That being said, I want the WiiU version to be exponentially better, just for the shitstorm...

TheProfessor234:

I honestly hope that the graphics are exactly like it is in the Demo. I also hope that they tell us the product that was released on PC/PS3/360 was the "weak" version and the Wii U version will be the version that would be "re-released" on the 720/PS4 as a "true next-generation game".

Then again, I am just hoping that there would be a good Aliens game to come out shortly T-T

I mean, at this point they are just wasting a lot of money trying to put it on the system. The game is a bomb. Why put it on there. The systems isn't going to change the broken from ground up AI and animation.

Baresark:
I mean, at this point they are just wasting a lot of money trying to put it on the system. The game is a bomb. Why put it on there. The systems isn't going to change the broken from ground up AI and animation.

Yeah I don't really like it when the WiiU is excluded but in this case they missed their chance to rip off more customers before the shit hit the fan. Releasing it now would be almost useless with all the negative backlash going on with the game.

Baresark:

Wasn't Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge vastly improved over the PS3/360 versions?

VinLAURiA:

Baresark:

I think you quoted me by accident. I never played either Ninja Gaiden 3 or the Razors Edge version. No worries though, I'm sure I have done the same thing.

I'm mad at Gear Box and Sega for releasing it when they knew it would be such a stinker. So they had to just be like "well we have shit to show so I guess we'll just make our customers take the hit on the chin as much as possible before it gets out how bad it is."

...And on the Wii-U, it will stream the movie Aliens to your controller while you play just so you remember how awesome the movie was (and to distract you from what's going on onscreen.)

VinLAURiA:

Baresark:

Really? I heard the exact opposite. I heard it had graphical glitches the other versions didn't have and horrible framerate problems to boot.

Baresark:
I think you quoted me by accident. I never played either Ninja Gaiden 3 or the Razors Edge version. No worries though, I'm sure I have done the same thing.

No, I quoted you correctly. You say that switching systems won't magically improve the game's biggest and most core problems. While it's true that it won't necessarily do that, my reference to Razor's Edge is that from what I've heard, that game fixes a lot of the major, core problems from the original NG3 for PS3/360 when everyone expected it to just be a port, so on the off-chance that A:CM U fixes everything wrong with the version we have out now, it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented.

They're cancelling WiiU release.

Finally, Sega does something right, now to begin taking full refunds for false advertising.

"They're not cancelling it... "

Oh Sega...

"... they think this is a good thing"

... why am I not surprised.

VinLAURiA:
While it's true that it won't necessarily do that, my reference to Razor's Edge is that from what I've heard, it fixes a lot of the major, core problems from the original NG3 for PS3/360, so on the off-chance that A:CM U fixes everything wrong with the version we have out now, it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented.

No. The being fixed in the process is not dependant on being ported to a new console.

TF2 many many other PC games have shown how free patches can fix broken and flawed aspects of the game, almost any aspect.

Having to get a whole new console, the most expensive console on tha market and buying the same game is a big "Fuck You" to the loyal customers who bought the game first on their system. But why not? They've already go their money, they can ruin their reputation and just move on. They know it's far easier to bribe critics magazines and websites with lucrative ad funding to get them the good publicity they want rather than show any kind of loyalty.

But this all depends on us being utter suckers, tolerating such crap and accepting such blatant conflicts of interest.

The sad thing is the Wii U version could be the absolute perfect game, with brilliant AI, graphics to blow your mind and an intense, involving story and people would still stay away in droves. The current version has such negative publicity any release of this game is going to be fatally compromised.

OFC they will likely release the same PoS version on the Wii U, if they release anything at all, so heigh ho!

At this point it just seems like a lost cause. Even if better, the current version just has so much negative attention that it won't matter. If, on the off chance, that the WiiU version is better and they decide to bring it over onto the PS3/360/PC, they better not do the whole NG3: RE thing and charge an extra 60 bucks for it. Even if I' not picking up either version that's still a dick move.

Treblaine:

No. The being fixed in the process is not dependant on being ported to a new console.

TF2 many many other PC games have shown how free patches can fix broken and flawed aspects of the game, almost any aspect.

Having to get a whole new console, the most expensive console on tha market and buying the same game is a big "Fuck You" to the loyal customers who bought the game first on their system. But why not? They've already go their money, they can ruin their reputation and just move on. They know it's far easier to bribe critics magazines and websites with lucrative ad funding to get them the good publicity they want rather than show any kind of loyalty.

But this all depends on us being utter suckers, tolerating such crap and accepting such blatant conflicts of interest.

I just wanna say that the funny thing is, Nintendo's WiiU allows people to release Free Updates/Patches to their games if they want to. Unlike the Xbox where it took ages to fix an issue with Fez (And I can't speak for PS3).

OT: Maybe the WiiU Version will be better? I dunno. Let's wait and find out!

VinLAURiA:

Baresark:

No, I quoted you correctly. You say that switching systems won't magically improve the game's biggest and most core problems. While it's true that it won't necessarily do that, my reference to Razor's Edge is that from what I've heard, that game fixes a lot of the major, core problems from the original NG3 for PS3/360 when everyone expected it to just be a port, so on the off-chance that A:CM U fixes everything wrong with the version we have out now, it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented.

I don't know. I haven't played that game. Looking at review, they added stuff and tightened the controls. But from what I understand, while the the original Ninja Gaiden 3 wasn't that good, it wasn't broken. A:CM is broken, the AI is broken, it's glitchy as hell, the animations are made very poorly, the hit boxes on WY PMC's are are broken. It's not that the game is bad, it's actually good, but it isn't what it's advertised to be. I think they would probably get the same game because a lot of what is wrong with the game would need to be fixed from the ground up. I'm hoping they patch the living hell out of the PC version of the game at least. If the core issues can be patched, then the WiiU version could still be a better game than what you get on the 360 and PS3. I don't know for certain, but I have big doubts about them fixing anything that's wrong with it.

Mr.Mattress:

I just wanna say that the funny thing is, Nintendo's WiiU allows people to release Free Updates/Patches to their games if they want to. Unlike the Xbox where it took ages to fix an issue with Fez (And I can't speak for PS3).

(1) I shouldn't have to get a whole new console for such a basic aspect of software

and

(2) why in the hell is this optional? If there are updates, it should be native in the system to begin updating games as and when available unless the user specifically opts games out of updating.

PS: the problem with Fez was the developer was an asshat who refused to even LOOK at the problem let alone make a patch and release it.

Maybe the WiiU version will be worse? I'm pretty confident. I really am not going to wait with baited breath for a slightly more polished turd.

TheProfessor234:

I remember not too long ago how Gearbox was talking about how awesome the U is and how A:CM was developed from the ground up to utilize the unique features of the U etc-etc. It really surprised me to find out that the U version is the last one being released and for a moment I thought it might be a digital only release like Fucking Fist of the God Damn North Star: Ken's Cunting Rage 2 Dammit.

No, I'm not going to be over that for a while...anyway, I'll probably grab A:CM on the U once the reviews for that version are out and very likely once the price has dropped.

Finally, Sega does something right, now to begin taking full refunds for false advertising.

"They're not cancelling it... "

Oh Sega...

"... they think this is a good thing"

... why am I not surprised.[/quote]

And let's not forget, this is one of the games Sega was more worthy of financial backing than Bayonetta 2.

There's stupid, then there's Sega.

Treblaine:

Mr.Mattress:

(1) I shouldn't have to get a whole new console for such a basic aspect of software

Then take it up with Microsoft. They're the ones charging developers $10 grand per patch.

(2) why in the hell is this optional? If there are updates, it should be native in the system to begin updating games as and when available unless the user specifically opts games out of updating.

Because some updates are quite large, and some gamers have only limited hard-drive space. Believe it or not, there are still people gaming with the 4GB 360 Arcade.

Sylveria:

And let's not forget, this is one of the games Sega was more worthy of financial backing than Bayonetta 2.

There's stupid, then there's Sega.

Actually, if the leaked info is anything to go by, Sega are actually not the ones at fault here. They essentially worked a deal between 20th Century Fox and Gearbox to get an Aliens game made, based on Gearbox's claim that this was something they really wanted to do, and would give their all on. Gearbox then spent the next few years pissing around, before deciding that Borderlands would be a better investment, and quietly fobbing off Colonial Marines onto other developers to work with. By the time they realised CM was a total turd, they'd already committed all their resources to releasing Borderlands 2, and SEGA flatly refused to delay the game any more. Which, considering how many times it had been delayed already, isn't unreasonable.

Reading around, it seems like the blame for this lies entirely with Gearbox. Sega and Fox went into this whole thing hoping they'd get a well made triple-A shooter set in the Aliens universe as a result, and gave Gearbox plenty of accommodation to make just that. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a publisher agree to 6 years worth of development time for a game? Sega by all accounts were very hands off, and were just hoping to get a good game. Gearbox took that and fucked it in the ass.

Times like this, you realise that executive meddling isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes you need a publisher to step in and stop the developers dicking around, which seems to have very very much been the case here.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
*snippity snip snip*
Times like this, you realise that executive meddling isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes you need a publisher to step in and stop the developers dicking around, which seems to have very very much been the case here.

>:(

You... I don't like you, because I hate admitting that you're right. Executive meddling does serve a purpose and can be needed to a degree, though obviously too much of it can be a terrible thing.

I still don't like you. >:(

*donottakethistooseriously.jpg*

Treblaine:

and

PS: the problem with Fez was the developer was an asshat who refused to even LOOK at the problem let alone make a patch and release it.

Maybe the WiiU version will be worse? I'm pretty confident. I really am not going to wait with baited breath for a slightly more polished turd.

1) Well, don't blame me. Blame Microsoft (And Possibly Sony, but again, don't hold me to it). It's them that chose to be very restrictive with Updates and DLC, forcing it all to have some monetary value. That's why TF2 never got any updates on 360, because Microsoft would force Valve to add a price tag to it.

2) Some Developers are greedy. It's only optional because Nintendo knows they can't make every company release everything for free. If they did, they'd have less support then they do now.

3) It's possible, I'm not gonna deny it either way. Like I said though, let's wait and see!

V da Mighty Taco:

>:(

You... I don't like you, because I hate admitting that you're right. Executive meddling does serve a purpose and can be needed to a degree, though obviously too much of it can be a terrible thing.

I still don't like you. >:(

*donottakethistooseriously.jpg*

Hey, for what it's worth, I think 99% of executive meddling is still dumb, uncalled for and downright damaging.

But it's always worth keeping the exceptions in mind. We often have a view of the gaming industry where the publishers are the money hungry amoral shysters, and the developers are the hard-working do-gooders who do nothing but suffer silently. That's not always the case. Developers can be just as shitty and selfish as any publisher, and it's always worth remembering that.

If a developer starts throwing their weight around and sub-contracting other developers to work on the project they were commissioned to do, then I think it's perfectly fair for the publisher to step in and slap them a bit. It's the publisher's money, at the end of the day, and it sounds like Gearbox actively screwed Sega out of 6 years worth of development budget in order to pull a fast one, and get some cheapo developers to do all the hard work while they focus on Borderlands.

I'm honestly wondering at this point whether Gearbox haven't actually committed fraud. If Sega gave them money to make a game, then on the quiet they gave a different developer only part of that money to make said game for them, I'm pretty sure that would count as financial fraud. I guess it depends on how aware Sega was of what was going on, though again, un-named sources and Sega themselves are saying they weren't aware of any subcontracting going on.

This could get real fucking ugly.

Mr.Mattress:

2) Some Developers are greedy. It's only optional because Nintendo knows they can't make every company release everything for free. If they did, they'd have less support then they do now.

I don't follow. This is nothing to do with developer/publisher greed, this is to do with patches that could be simple, separate from DLC.

This is about it being optional if the game makers have a patch ready to roll it out as soon as the console connects to the internet... or just as soon as you decide to launch the game.

I'm saying they should be obliged to make it the former. ASAP, when patch is ready, install it and get it out of the way, not at LITERALLY the last second.

And make it the USER'S choice to block that on a game by game basis of "do not automatically update this game" out of concern for... whatever. Only they have any reason to block it.

It's a very simple proven system used by Steam, smartphones and almost any other software delivery service outside of the console-hardware business, which is frankly amazingly backwards. I am not praising Valve for doing an obvious thing, I expect that at the very least, I am pissing on Microsoft, Sony and anyone who does if for having such a poor handle on things.

Well, considering the game was something on par of the seware that goes to Wii i sort of expected that.

Dear Sega,

TURN THAT CAR RIGHT BACK AROUND THE CORNER AND EVALUATE WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH YOUR LIFE.

Sincerely,
Everybody

aliens for wiiu then turns out to be goty #fml

I'd be hoping this version will stand out and actually play decently compared to the other 3 platforms which failed utterly.

That or Gearbox are in for the ugliest slapping of their life.

my trust in them is pretty much lost when i found out they were taking us all for a ride and putting more focus on Borderlands instead of keeping with their contract and making ACM a decent if not greater game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here