Steam Comes to Linux With Big Sale

Steam Comes to Linux With Big Sale

Download Steam for Ubuntu, get some free Team Fortress 2 goodies.

Nearly ten years after launching on the PC and more than two years after coming to Mac, Steam is now available on Linux, meaning there's almost no excuse for not using Valve's digital distribution service. To celebrate, Steam is doing what it does best: offering steep discounts on a slew of games so that Linux users can start building their game libraries right away.

In a press release, Valve stated that Steam was best experienced on Ubuntu, "the most popular distribution of Linux used by millions of people globally and known for its well-designed, easy-to-use customer experience." According to David Pitkin, Director of Consumer Applications at Ubuntu developer Canonical, "The introduction of Steam to Ubuntu demonstrates growing demand for open systems from gamers and game developers... We expect a growing number of game developers to include Ubuntu among their target platforms." Now that Steam is available for Linux operating systems, Pitkin hopes to see an influx of AAA games designed for Ubuntu.

The Steam for Linux client also includes Big Picture mode, so Linux gamers can play PC games from the comfort of their couches. Additionally, those who download free-to-play Team Fortress 2 on Linux will get some bonus in-game goodies. Now that Steam for Linux is real, what will the service come to next? Graphing calculators? My old Atari Lynx? The possibilities are endless.

New game: Whatever captcha says is what Steam will be on next.

cheese steak

Awesome sale. Just a shame I already own all the games I want that are on offer here, though my wallet will be thankful I'm sure.

I've loved having steam on Linux it does help take some of the sting out of having to constantly reboot into windows to play certain games. I look forward to seeing more linux compatible games in the future.

A Satanic Panda:
New game: Whatever captcha says is what Steam will be on next.

cheese steak

Yummmmm. I like the sound of that!

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT, figures this comes along right after I buy Brutal Legend. Oh well, I have too much money anyway.

Pretty solid selection of games for the start of this as well. Hopefully this will be the start of something big.

One hell of a Valentines Gift from Valve huh lol?

May this day be the beginning of an age where no platform is excluded!

Waaghpowa:
May this day be the beginning of an age where no platform is excluded!

well said.

i can recomend "zen bound" from the sale. its a suprisingly relaxing puzzle game that involves wrapping up wooden shapes in a rope

Sarah LeBoeuf:

Fun fact, that's actually the signature sandwich here in Philly. They're really good if you get them from the right place. Just... get it with provolone. Morons always get it with Cheez Whiz which is... yech.

I'll try Ubuntu whenever I can, last time, around 2006, it didn't go too well for me, let's see how well it goes this time around, also, the option for running it directly from a DVD or a USB is a blessing, I don't need to install anything just for trying it out.

So does that mean Gram could instal steam since he's now running Linux in his body, and go play with himself?

SupahGamuh:
I'll try Ubuntu whenever I can, last time, around 2006, it didn't go too well for me, let's see how well it goes this time around, also, the option for running it directly from a DVD or a USB is a blessing, I don't need to install anything just for trying it out.

Just do yourself a favor and use USB.
Running a live-system off disk is painfully slow, especially with modern, more complex interfaces.
That being said, Ubuntu (and Linux in general) has come a very long way since 2006. My first steps with Linux were back in 2009 (so I'm a young Linux-user), but I temporarily installed older releases of Ubuntu on my sisters old computer to make it fly again. I'm using Arch, but I have Ubuntu 12.10 on my old notebook. Do I recommend it? Fuck no! Go with 12.04 instead. You hear about plans to turn to a rolling-release model more often lately. Mainly because 6 months is not enough time to add interesting features AND polish the system.
12.10 is unfinished and you see it.

Fantastic! I love linux!

*installs steam on VM*

As soon as Photoshop, Corel Painter, 3DS Max, and Zbrush natively function on Linux then I will make the switch but until then I am sticking with Windows 7.

Worgen:
DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT, figures this comes along right after I buy Brutal Legend. Oh well, I have too much money anyway.

Isn't it only available to pre order at the moment? I thought you could cancel pre orders. Try it.

CardinalPiggles:

Worgen:

Isn't it only available to pre order at the moment? I thought you could cancel pre orders. Try it.

Why would I want to do this horrible thing? I've been hoping that Brutal Legend would come out on the pc forever.

Worgen:

CardinalPiggles:

Worgen:

Why would I want to do this horrible thing? I've been hoping that Brutal Legend would come out on the pc forever.

So that you can re-buy the game at 25% off on Linux?

CardinalPiggles:

Worgen:

CardinalPiggles:

So that you can re-buy the game at 25% off on Linux?

Its not one of the linux games, its on a preorder special for 25% off. There are games that are part of the linux deal that have taken my money though.

Gah, it's spreading...!

Skeleon:
Gah, it's spreading...!

the disease of free OS or the cloud of fog which has mosnters in it?

Strazdas:

Skeleon:
Gah, it's spreading...!

both, considering eversion is on the release list

Removed Windows from my gaming desktop and installed Ubuntu a few days ago. I feel liberated :D

NICE! Now all I need is for my G13 to work in Ubuntu and I can tell Micro$oft to kiss my ass.

Also if you already own the games in steam then you can still install them in Ubuntu. And for every single one I have tried so far they are FAST as hell compaired to bloated Windoze

VinLAURiA:

Sarah LeBoeuf:

Fun fact, that's actually the signature sandwich here in Philly. They're really good if you get them from the right place. Just... get it with provolone. Morons always get it with Cheez Whiz which is... yech.

Why would anyone do that? That is like a mortal sin... Like eating turkey bacon when there is pork bacon available. Seriously, cheez whiz? That isn't even real cheese.

YAY, finally I get to try this out.

It's nice their celebrating being added to the Ubuntu Repository. I haven't used a dedicated Windows box in years. I have XP installed in a VM for a couple of off things, but Valve might revive my PC gaming. We'll see if Linux gets any titles at release instead of as an after thought years later.

Looking forward to making the switch..... I probably wont do it with this PC, as I am already saving up for a new one.... Give it a few months and I will make the switch.

Strazdas:

Skeleon:
Gah, it's spreading...!

The fog. The free OS isn't hogging games for DRM as far as I know.

I use Ubuntu for programming for uni work so I may install Steam to try it out. I will have to get a new GPU though as I need a low level fan speed control app for my current GPU to prevent it sounding like a hair-drier. Windows has Rivatuner. NVClock on Ubuntu doesn't go low-level enough.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here