Hundreds Injured In Russia Meteorite Near-Miss

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hundreds Injured In Russia Meteorite Near-Miss

The remains of the Chelyabinsk meteorite have been discovered.

In a spectacular and terrifying meteorological event, the Russian city of Chelyabinsk - population 1,130,132 as of the most recent census - was buzzed by a meteor at about 9.23 am local time. The shockwave detonation blew out windows, overloaded mobile phone networks and caused widespread panic; 474 injuries - 20 serious enough to warrant hospital treatment - have been reported so far.

State-owned Russian television reported that the meteorites had been engaged and shot down by local air defence forces, but this was contradicted later by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, who said that neither Russia nor the United States had the capability to do so. Medvedev called for an international initiative to create an early warning system, to detect incoming "objects of an alien origin."

Chelyabinsk has several nuclear power stations, but so far radiation levels are normal, according to the Russians, and evacuations are not being called for. "Ministry of Emergency Situations of Ural Region: meteorite rain over Chelyabinsk Region, no fire," reads a Tweet from Alexander Plushev, of Echo on Moscow radio.

Russian army units have discovered three meteorite impact sites, two near Chebarkul Lake, west of Chelyabinsk, while the third landed not far from the town of Zlatoust. One of the Chebarkul impacts left a crater six meters across.

Phil Plait, Bad Astronomer, who recently gave a heads-up about asteroid DA14, has said he doesn't think that this impact is related. The DA14 meteor is still 12 hours or more away, and coming from a different direction, making it unlikely that the Chelyabinsk event has much to do with it.

Those wanting more video should have a look over here.

Source: Guardian

A friend of mine that lives near the border of Russia sent me links to a Russian site with a whole bunch of videos of this plus one stunning photo of the meteor burning up as it fell.

http://metromsn.gazeta.pl/Wydarzenia/1,126477,13405767,Rosja__deszcz_meteorow_spadl_na_Ural__sa_ranni__WIDEO_.html

The first picture is stunning.

Incredibly unlucky. Wasn't it only 100 years ago when one fell in Tunguska? Isn't that like lightning striking twice?

There's already 700 reported injuries. Apparently the ice skating stadium which hosts the European Championship Allround in 2015 has pretty much collapsed and will need rebuilding.

The scary thing is, we had no idea. This thing just showed up and we're all scratching our thick monkey craniums and going "ooooh" at the sky.

The asteroid disaster movies lied to us. If a planet killer really hits us, we'll be dead long before it has time to show up on Reddit.

So I give it 20 years before we get communist Superman.

Someone Find Crypto! THE BLISK HAVE RETURNED!

This is exactly why NASA needs a bigger budget.
Anyway, pretty big coincidence that this happened merely a few hours before the asteroid DA14 will pass earth. Two in one day, doesn't happen often.

XCOM Save us!

[obscure, nerdy reference powers: activate]

So when can we expect to send the mobile infantry out the Klendaathu to take out the damn, dirty bugs who threw these rocks at us?

Meanwhile, members of Reagans admisitration blink at the news and say in unison:

"So THATS where it went!"

"474 casualties - 20 serious enough to warrant hospital treatment."

Because of the common military use of the term 'casualty' my first thought was that almost 500 people died. Then I wondered how even 20 of those 'deaths' were somehow treatable. Then I looked up the word and noted that it can also be used for injury.

DVS BSTrD:
Someone Find Crypto! THE BLISK HAVE RETURNED!

I was beginning to think I was the only one who played those games, well done sir

Kmadden2004:

So when can we expect to send the mobile infantry out the Klendaathu to take out the damn, dirty bugs who threw these rocks at us?

starship troopers i not obscure, boy.

"State-owned Russian television reported that the meteorites had been engaged and shot down by local air defence forces" someone's trying to squeeze a few badass-points out of the situation...

flarty:
Incredibly unlucky. Wasn't it only 100 years ago when one fell in Tunguska? Isn't that like lightning striking twice?

not really. There are hundreds of impacts per year. Difference is tunguska was big, like really big. Like nuclear blast big. This impact broke some windows and startled some old ladies. Russia is big enough that they probably get a few of these over a few years that no one ever notices. This is odd becasue happened near a population center.

Also tunguska was in 1908, just outside the hundred year mark.

Also Also, lightning strikes the same place twice quite often (i.e. lightning rods and radio towers).

rhizhim:

Kmadden2004:

You never know, there may be some kids on this site who weren't even born when that film came out...

Jesus, that's a scary thought, actually.

Beryl77:
Anyway, pretty big coincidence that this happened merely a few hours before the asteroid DA14 will pass earth. Two in one day, doesn't happen often.

It happens dozens of times a day actually, they're just not be big enough to light up the entire sky like that. I agree though, the coincidence is weird. Unfortunately, we will need to have a huge disaster before governments actually commit to setting up a serious defense against that, because humanity is dumb.

Kmadden2004:

rhizhim:

Kmadden2004:

You never know, there may be some kids on this site who weren't even born when that film came out...

Jesus, that's a scary thought, actually.

dont worry, the franchise just wont die. people will only forget that the first movie was somewhat okay.

The first shot of humanities eternal war with xenos, that's right this is sentient xeno plot put into action. Let's take to the stars prepared, with bolters and chainswords in hand because it doesn't get easier from here!

Tunguska II - The Return?

Beryl77:

You would be surprised. Its quite possible that the two rocks were created in the same collision a few mission years ago or such, and so were sent on similar orbital paths around the sun. We were just lucky that it was the smaller one that happened to be aimed slightly more towards us.

The size impacts of the larger one, the one that's going to pass us, happens more often than you may think. The Tunguska event was about that size, and events that sound similar have been recorded for a good couple of thousand years.

EDIT: After looking for a bit more info, a number of people/organisations, including the ESA, have declared that the two meteors are probably not related, on account of travelling in vastly different directions.

This is an amazing video of the meteor.

Cool, kinda terrifying, but cool. Though our news site says 950 injured...

itsthesheppy:
The scary thing is, we had no idea. This thing just showed up and we're all scratching our thick monkey craniums and going "ooooh" at the sky.

The asteroid disaster movies lied to us. If a planet killer really hits us, we'll be dead long before it has time to show up on Reddit.

No, we'll see planet killers. Meteorites won't destroy us. Extremely large meteorites can level cities, sure, but they'll never end our planet. It's asteroids that'll kill us. Though we're not dinosaurs, so even impacts large enough to alter our climate wouldn't kill us off completely. And anything that large, we'd probably be able to nuke anyway.

Karloff:

Phil Plate, Bad Astronomer,

Is he really the best man to be asking>

Denamic:

itsthesheppy:

No, we'll see planet killers. Meteorites won't destroy us. Extremely large meteorites can level cities, sure, but they'll never end our planet. It's asteroids that'll kill us. Though we're not dinosaurs, so even impacts large enough to alter our climate wouldn't kill us off completely. And anything that large, we'd probably be able to nuke anyway.

I don't have the quotes in front of me, but I'm pretty sure astronomers more educated than I have made it clear that we don't have that many eyes on the sky, and that a planet-killer could easily sneak up on us.

So begins the alien invasion. Save us Avengers!

Just FYI ... that's Phil Plait.

His "Bad Astronomy" blog is here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html

It's the bugs! I knew it! Let's create a military force to strike back at them!

Denamic:
And anything that large, we'd probably be able to nuke anyway.

Not really. If we say an extinction level asteroid has to be at least 1KM across that's over 4 Billion cubic metres of rock (assuming it's spherical). Even firing the entire nuclear arsenal of the world combined (even borrowing the ones N. Korea has) would barely slow it down - worse it could shatter it into hundreds of smaller (but still massive) chunks that cause even more damage; think of it like buckshot from a shotgun - hundreds of individual fragments slamming into the Earth all across the surface.

If we spot an extinction level asteroid heading right for us:

It'd be a case of gtfo or go back to a population of less than 10 thousand.

As this is Russia presumably the Zone impact site will soon be cordoned off by the military to stop treasure hunters coming in search of artefacts.

Bloody hell. How did the Russians manage to piss off space?!

Thank God for all those Russian dash-board cams. If this had hit the UK we'd have probably missed it.

flarty:

Consider the fact that Russia, as a land mass, is huge (bigger if you include all of Asia). Its like shooting an arrow at a target with the big white space around your target representing Russia and the board holding up your target being the ocean. You have 50/50 chance of hitting the ocean, or Russia.

Plus I'm sure Tunguska wasn't the only time they got hit.

Kmadden2004:

OT: that bang was epic! It's unbelievable that the actual bang was created when the meteorite entered the atmosphere! A rock hitting air hard enough owns all!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)