Aliens: Colonial Marines Suffers Save Wipe Bug on Xbox 360

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Aliens: Colonial Marines Suffers Save Wipe Bug on Xbox 360

It appears that Aliens: Colonial Marines is nuking Xbox 360 saves from orbit.

Just in case Aliens: Colonial Marines wasn't quite enough of a dropship wreck already, here's another log on the fire. According to several reports posted on the Gearbox forums, owners of the Xbox 360 version of the game are randomly losing their saved games. And not just that; campaign progress, player levels, brightness settings and controls schemes are all disappearing. The problem appears to crop up when the game is installed to the hard drive.

Gearbox hasn't commented on the issue at this point but a few victims of the bug theorize that it's an issue with Gearbox servers, since save data doesn't appear to be stored on local systems. If so, it's possible that the lost data could eventually be restored, although forum posts complaining about the bug are dated from February 12 to today, a long time for a server error to go uncorrected.

If you're lucky enough to have dodged the Colonial Marines bullet, this is just one more reason not to get in front of it; if, on the other hand, you dropped $60 on the thing and find yourself forced to start over again from square one, you have my sympathy. Either way, it's an unfortunate mess, but it almost seems appropriate somehow. We've reached out to Gearbox for information and will update if and when we hear back.

Source: Gearbox forums

Geez, the never ending cavalcade of errors is just marching along, isn't it?

Gearbox should be getting more flak for this then BioWare did for the ME3 fiasco. At least that game was decent up until the last 10 minutes. A:CM is a flustercluck from the ground up.

YAAAAA!!! Another reason to not get this game!

Look on the bright side. Maybe it's the first step in Gearbox actually being able to totally wipe the experience from the minds of those who purchased and played the game.

Mirrorknight:

Gearbox should be getting more flak for this then BioWare did for the ME3 fiasco. At least that game was decent up until the last 10 minutes. A:CM is a flustercluck from the ground up.

The difference I think lies in both the fanbase, and the expectation. Like how a film such as say, The Expendables 2 is a lot worse in regards to flaws than The Dark Knight Rises, but the latter has a much larger fanbase, and expectation of it was a lot higher than The Expendables 2.

So you are much more likely to hear complaints about The Dark Knight Rises, even if it is the better film.

Mirrorknight:

That had more to do with disappointment than uninterrupted badness I'd say. But people overreacted horribly I'd say. Considering the lack of flak Fallout 3's ending received for being far worse and making you pay $15 for the real ending.

I'm not bitter or anything.

Wow, this game is cursed.

Or Gearbox is. By finishing Duke Nukem Forever they gave life to That Which Was Not Meant To Be, and now they're suffering cosmic retribution.

I'm reminded of that scene from Aliens 3

Thank heaven for small favors.

Where I come from we call that a 'mercy killing'.

Innovation - Copyright Gearbox 2013 - Forever

I can't believe this bug never got noticed before released.

Thank the gods. Now those who bought the game can deny it ever happened. Look, no proof.

Magnum700:
Innovation - Copyright Gearbox 2013 - Forever

I can't believe this bug never got noticed before released.

Hehehe, come on now, it's not that hard to believe that they missed a bug before release. Have you SEEN the game? It's actually quite amusing how badly they've fucked it up. I don't have any love for the Alien films though so I guess some people are gonna be genuinely upset by the shittyness of the game huh?

What is with Gearbox shamelessly stamping their logo on absolute turds? DNF and now this? It only damages your brand y'know, even if you didn't technically make the game it still has your name on it. It's hard to imagine something this bad having the same dev logo as the one on Borderlands 2 for example. It just looks off.

2 year business course pays off in the end

"Since save data doesn't appear to be stored on local systems."

Wait a minute here. What exactly does that mean? Does that mean that game save data isn't normally saved on the 360's they're being played on by design??? Is it basically cloud storage of your game save? That can't be, can it? Surely you can back up your data to a thumb drive or something.

Can anybody confirm/deny this?

what is even more sad is that people made a thread defending it.

StriderShinryu:
Look on the bright side. Maybe it's the first step in Gearbox actually being able to totally wipe the experience from the minds of those who purchased and played the game.

only so they can go out and buy it again.

Maybe the game is becoming sentient and wants to eradicate itself from existence? It knows it is an abomination unto Nuggan. Also, brightness settings? NOOOOOOO!

CriticalMiss:
It knows it is an abomination unto Nuggan.

I wanted to say "I love you." for this but too would be an abomination according to the latest revised list of abominations.

The game's so bad that even the Xbox is trying to forget it?

That says something.

Sixcess:

Or Gearbox is. By finishing Duke Nukem Forever they gave life to That Which Was Not Meant To Be, and now they're suffering cosmic retribution.

I think Gearbox is actually a pretty crap company that managed to get lucky with Boarderlands. They've helped pioneer the "season pass" which turns a $60 game in to a $90 game. They scoop up these licences then farm them out to hack developer studios. DNF was awful, so is A:CM. They pulled a pretty heinous bait-and-switch with the Aliens demo and still sent this junk out the door, which I partly blame Sega for that, but still doesn't excuse them.

I can't believe I'm the first to say this but...

CriticalMiss:
Maybe the game is becoming sentient and wants to eradicate itself from existence? It knows it is an abomination unto Nuggan. Also, brightness settings? NOOOOOOO!

In fairness, Nuggan hates all of the things.

CriticalMiss:

You poor heathen, Om is the one true god. Wait I have a pamphlet around her somewhere explaining it.

It is the only way to be sure after all...

Oh man, everything about this game is just a train wreck. I don't want to look but I can't help myself due to morbid curiosity.

Sixcess:

Hahah, well said. But ... I don't think Gearbox is cursed. I think they're just bad at their jobs.

Even your Xbox doesn't want to remember playing the game!

FizzyIzze:

Wait a minute here. What exactly does that mean? Does that mean that game save data isn't normally saved on the 360's they're being played on by design??? Is it basically cloud storage of your game save? That can't be, can it? Surely you can back up your data to a thumb drive or something.

Yeah there is no physical save data on your 360 HDD in the Aliens where the installed game and bonus content is stored. Just like Left 4 Dead.

Heh, I'm gonna go ahead and say it, Duke Nukem Forever was entertaining to me, only outdated as hell, outdated to the point where, even though it was entertaining, and true to the Duke spirit, I couldn't play it with a constant smile on my face... Now, here we go: DNF is probably better than ACM... lol oh fuck that's BAAAAAAD

squid5580:

FizzyIzze:

Yeah there is no physical save data on your 360 HDD in the Aliens where the installed game and bonus content is stored. Just like Left 4 Dead.

I didn't know that either, many other games do that? Well, if I take my game, to a friend`s console, and login there, I can play MY save right? Cool when it works :D

squid5580:

FizzyIzze:
snip

Normally I'd be disturbed by this. Conceptually I find it more disturbing than mandatory always-on DRM, but I suppose if personal hardware fails then your game saves are safe in the cloud. Also having the option to do a local backup would be smarter though.

Milanezi:

squid5580:

FizzyIzze:

I didn't know that either, many other games do that? Well, if I take my game, to a friend`s console, and login there, I can play MY save right? Cool when it works :D

All your stats carry over so it is easier to D/L your gamertag and keep right on going than worry about your saves and their saves and whatnot.

The game is only about 5 hours long from what I have heard... who needs save data?

I'd try and erase all evidence of this game, too.

Why do I see nobody defending this game... I've been playing it since launch and I like it, it's not glorious but it's fun.

Nobody even gave the damned game a chance, and what do you get, a bunch of people who jumped on the troll bandwagon, like they did with brink or too human. How many of you have actually played the game without just marching to the rhythm of the reviewers wardrums.
Don't trust reviewers, they spew opinion or get payed to lie.

Now stop bashing something you've never even touched.

EDIT: I can't wait for Yahtzee to "playfully" attack it and watch you people take it for gospel.

squid5580:

FizzyIzze:

Okay. So how do people play it offline and have their stats and all still saved? Because I've played both Left 4 Dead and Aliens offline and don't have it saved elsewhere. In fact, I've never gone online with my Aliens.

It seems unlikely that anyone would want to answer someone who refers to their product in that way, even if it is shit. Though that is a pretty awful bug, one of the worst I've had to deal with. It never happened to me on a console, but too many times on PC.

FoolKiller:

squid5580:

FizzyIzze:

Okay. So how do people play it offline and have their stats and all still saved? Because I've played both Left 4 Dead and Aliens offline and don't have it saved elsewhere. In fact, I've never gone online with my Aliens.

Likely saved to your Gamertag.
Like the Intel in Call of Duty 4.

They screwed me out of my achievements. :L

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook