Harrison Ford Will Return as Han Solo in Episode 7

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Hmmm... hopefully if Solo is already going to be old in this film, that means they're not rewriting/retconning the Thrawn trilogy. I know the EU has its fair share of crap, but those books are too legitimately good to be retconned out of existence.

I suspect its more likely, that news of his massive paycheck swayed him, not the involvement of JJ Abrams.

I'm hesitantly positive about this. For one thing, nobody knows yet what they are going to do with the role. Might be good, might be horrible. I need more information for that. Still, I'm inclined to give Abrams the benefit of the doubt.

Personally I'm more worried how they are going to join these new films with the three old ones (What? They made three more? Lies!), and if/how they are going to incorporate any EU material. I'll wait and see for now though.

Skeleon:
I'm pretty sure they won't make the Indy mistake again. He'll play an elderly Han Solo, now in the role of a mentor character or maybe a high-ranking general or politician. But he won't be in the middle of the action.

I just finished watching Crystal Skull again to see if it was better than I remembered. Problem is even in the original Indy movies Ford had a hangdog, world weary air about him and it worked then, but watching Skull he doesn't look world weary, he just looks old. Really old. Like older than he actually was.

And by the time of Episode VII he'll have another 5 years on top of that.

So let's hope they do give him a role more suited to his age. Clint Eastwood played to his age in Unforgiven and still got to shoot bad guys and be a bad ass, but like an old bad ass. Maybe he can shoot one guy. While sitting down.

After all, that worked back in '77.

I'm okay with this.

It's nice to have someone from the original cast (in a small role, mind you), and he is the best option.
You want to tie the new movies to the original, and if you do something lke what they did with the new Star Trek...

Nice, NICE :) I'm really looking forward to it :D And I don`t think he's gonna have a small role, maybe he won't be SEEN a lot, but the character will surely have impact.

Ickabod:
Seems like a good set up for a sibling rivalry, Han being the father, one child goes evil while the other good. Maybe the bad child killing Han off.

You're half right. One of Hans children, if my memory of the vast mass of void that is the expanded universe is to be believed, did infact turn evil.

You don't need to be young to kick ass. See Bubba Ho-Tep.

Could be cool aslong as they don't just wheel him out with "look kids it's han solo" attached on. He has to be there for some reason beyond fan service.

Hmm, that's actually pretty cool. I read a short story once that took place when he was older and married. In this story he runs off to mess around on some odd job, being a bit irresponsible and ends up running into boba fett of all people. I don't think it was canon but the idea of an older Han solo intrigues me and could definitely work with good script writing.

Gotta be honest, I can't see this being a good thing. And if Abrams makes Han time travel back and meets younger Han helping Luke attack the Death Star, then Star Wars movies will be forever dead to me.

I don't like the idea. Episode 7 should be a good enough movie in itself to be worth seeing. They shouldn't need to tap the original trilogy or ride its coattails. I also don't want to see the whole movie turn into one long string of cameos from old characters and groups. This should be something new, not just nostalgic copy of what we have already seen.

DVS BSTrD:
He's the smuggler who made the bathroom run in less than 12 parsecs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That is all.

In other news... they finally have a chance to break away from all the established characters... and the first thing they do is go find some of the old actors of said characters...

I don't know why I even care... I never liked Star Wars...

MikeWehner:
Fox News Latino

Now there's an oxymoron if I ever did hear one.

As for the news itself, sounds great to me.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Hmmm... hopefully if Solo is already going to be old in this film, that means they're not rewriting/retconning the Thrawn trilogy. I know the EU has its fair share of crap, but those books are too legitimately good to be retconned out of existence.

You know who I feel sorry for? That poor Imperial Admiral who gets left holding the bag after every new villain meets their demise.

Okay... So Episode 7+ is going to suck. Not because I don't like Harrison Ford. But because they feel the need to bring him on set to validate the movie(s). If he plays a minor role, okay. If he's expected to be there for the whole movie... no way.

Well, since the EU has had Han be a badass well into old age, this could be fine. However, I've been skeptical of this "sequel trilogy" ever since it was announced for multiple reasons - Disney in charge, JJ Abrams directing (granted this one is only a mild worry since I liked the Star Trek reboot), that whole "Are they going to respect the EU?" question - and this is now another worry to add to the list (possibly cashing in on the remaining love for the original trilogy with cameos). I don't care about casting information; I want information about how dark it's going to be and when it's set (so I'll know which EU books I may have to throw out).

Fortunately, Harrison Ford is one of the few people I trust to act well while extremely high.

Chessrook44:
One down, four to go...

By that I mean Luke, Leia

Somehow, I don't think they will be asked.

Alright, I'm going to take a stance of cautiously optimistic. Still quite wary but am willing to see where this goes before passing judgement. Don't let us down, Abrams.

This is going to be fun. Who wants to bet that they end up completely wrecking and invalidating most of the post-RotJ EU fiction with this trilogy?

If this is true, then the movies almost certainly will suck. There's no way I can imagine that they could pull that off and still make it good. With Star Trek, they were retconing the whole universe with a reboot, so having Spock show up made perfect sense because time travel. That excuse isn't going to work in Star Wars.

At least he can act well

Sigh.

10 years ago, maybe he could have made it work. But he was too old in Indy, and he'll be 7 years older than that when they start filming the new SW... And he has been getting significantly worse in the last 5 years or so after Indy, imo. Not just physically, either - some of the interviews Ive seen in the last few years he seems like the old grey matter is slowing down a fair bit, too.

Hope its just a rumour. He should learn from Lucas' mistakes and not try to go back adding to something that was already a fine and complete story.

Well this is the least concerning turn of events for me. Honestly, While Harrison ford is pretty tired, he's certainly not out of the acting game, and I honestly think he could put in a good performance if he gave it his all.

The only other person I really want to see is Mark Hamill. With some make up and weight loss I think he could clean up decently enough to look the part of old Luke. He also can still clearly voice act so I trust that his performance has the potential to be good. The operative word there is potential.

The last time that Ford did a Star Wars movie, he pushed for Han Solo to be killed off in Return of the Jedi, but Lucas vetoed the project.

Me wonders if Abrams took him up on his desire....

Caffiene:
Sigh.

10 years ago, maybe he could have made it work. But he was too old in Indy, and he'll be 7 years older than that when they start filming the new SW... And he has been getting significantly worse in the last 5 years or so after Indy, imo. Not just physically, either - some of the interviews Ive seen in the last few years he seems like the old grey matter is slowing down a fair bit, too.

Hope its just a rumour. He should learn from Lucas' mistakes and not try to go back adding to something that was already a fine and complete story.

I assume they'll be filming sooner than that; probably sometime in 2014. I think his performance in Ender's game will be a good litmus test.

axlryder:
I assume they'll be filming sooner than that; probably sometime in 2014.

I was thinking 2014 as well. Crystal Skull was filmed in 2007, so filming in 2014 he would be 7 years older than he was in Indy.

MikeWehner:

DVS BSTrD:
He's the smuggler who made the bathroom run in less than 12 parsecs.

You win. Might as well shut the forums down now, there's no topping this one.

If I had to guess, I'd probably say it would just be a cameo, but who knows, stranger things have happened!

But we haven't even gotten to the part where he survives the destruction of the Millenium Falcon by hiding in a conservator!

I love Harrison ford, but I hope the story is fresh and isn't focused on Luke and Han. Need some new blood for the series. (And please God put Kyle Katarn in there somewhere.)

Atleast this time people wont be upset that there are aliens in a film with him!

cerebus23:
han marries leia and does what in the EU? i know they have kids. beyond that i know jack squat about that side of sw.

Pretty sure their children are taught be be Jedi under Luke. Maybe they're going to do something with that?

this just keeps getting more...interesting, this movie will be big. big good or bad i cant tell

Infernai:

Ickabod:
Seems like a good set up for a sibling rivalry, Han being the father, one child goes evil while the other good. Maybe the bad child killing Han off.

You're half right. One of Hans children, if my memory of the vast mass of void that is the expanded universe is to be believed, did infact turn evil.

SPOILERS ahead (they are very old...if you wanted you have probably read...but you are warned)

Also i apologize, i do not know how to work the spoiler tagging..

In the EU, they had three kids, the youngest gets killed by the extra-galactic vong race....the other two are twins, the boy does go sith and earns a darth title, killing his aunt (mara) in the process....his sister kills him later in a duel. Yes i have read most of the EU stuff. Most of it is garbage, the Zahn books are actually pretty damn good. The bounty Hunter Trilogy is a fun ride, though not great. And one or two of the Vong series (23 or 25 volumes i can't remember it has been a long time) are decently written books, but that is about it. Beyond Zahn nothing really feels like a Star Wars type of book other than throwing the main characters around, to me Zahn was the only one that actually captured the universe it self well.

Caffiene:

axlryder:
I assume they'll be filming sooner than that; probably sometime in 2014.

I was thinking 2014 as well. Crystal Skull was filmed in 2007, so filming in 2014 he would be 7 years older than he was in Indy.

haha, my mistake, I was just thinking of CS's release date, not film date.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here