The Large Hadron Collider Takes A Break

The Large Hadron Collider Takes A Break

The LHC has been shut down for two years of upgrades, and will resume operation in 2015.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's largest and highest energy particle accelerator, has finished its first run period of three years. "We have every reason to be very satisfied with the LHC's first three years, said the Director-General of CERN. "The machine, the experiments, the computing facilities and all infrastructures behaved brilliantly, and we have a major scientific discovery in our pocket." In the next 12-24 months, major infrastructure upgrades and changes will occur across all of CERN's facilities, but the LHC will be affected the most. "We'll essentially be rebuilding the interconnections between LHC magnets, so when we resume running in 2015, we will be able to operate the machine at its design energy of 7 teraelectron volts (TeV) per beam," said Steve Myers, CERN's Director for Accelerators and Technology. In its first year, the LHC has produced much more data than expected - nearly 100 petabytes - the equivalent of 700 years of HD video. Analysis of only a fraction of this data has allowed scientists to make progress towards identifying the elusive Higgs-boson particle.

When they resume in 2015, the Large Hadron Collider will be able to run at a higher energy level than before, hopefully closer to its maximum potential energy of 14TeV. Long Shutdown 1 (LS1), has been part of the LHC plan from the beginning - no piece of equipment can survive the high levels of radiation and energy that the LHC puts out forever. "A whole series of renovation work will be carried out around the LHC during LS1," said Simon Baird, the deputy head of CERN Engineering. "The key driver is of course the consolidation of the 10,170 high-current splices between the superconducting magnets. The teams will start by opening up the 1695 interconnections between each of the cryostats of the main magnets. They will repair and consolidate around 500 interconnections simultaneously. The maintenance work will gradually cover the entire 27-kilometre circumference of the LHC."

CERN is the European Organization for Nuclear Research, and the LHC is located underground on the border between France and Switzerland.

Source: CERN

If you're Large Hadron Collider goes on for more than three hours, please see a doctor.

That awkward moment when you're reading about real technology and it sounds like scifi...

Fireprufe15:
That awkward moment when you're reading about real technology and it sounds like scifi...

Well after the shrinking Japanese building and the news story about fighter jets armed with lasers that feeling is going away fast.

Well, at least this time it wasn't taken out by a sandwich.

I doubt they'll ever live that down.

You know. Technically speaking the LHC could destroy the world. Making it a weapon of Total Annihilation. Better gird your loins Switzerland, America will soon be coming to get you.

I don't care how large your hadron is, everyone needs a refractory period.

OK I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say:

I have no idea WTF I just read

Will that be when it destroys the world? I was promised it would destroy the world.

I want a working flux compasitor

And I thought a day's downtime was a long wait. But hey, they can study the gathered data in the meantime. Speaking of, Whoa, 100 Petabytes in three years? Anyone else a little underwhelmed, given the scope of this thing? For some reason, I was expecting like...an Exabyte.

antipunt:

Big tube spins stuff around

Tube is really tired now after so much use

Time to give the tube a rest for 2 years and put lots of new stuff in

After rest is over, big tube will spin stuff around even better

Scientists and physicists will have oozing hot sex

Then we will find Jesus

Fireprufe15:
That awesome time you live in when you're reading about real technology and it sounds like scifi...

Fixed that for you.

No need to thank me, it's all in a day's work.

Evil Smurf:
I want a working flux compasitor

Or, say... a hoverboard?

Aaron Sylvester:

antipunt:

Then we will find Jesus

Made my night. That is all.

The truth is they've had their first success at time travel through electron-injected Kerr black holes and are now pretending to disable the LHC so that nobody suspects them as they slowly use their time travel monopoly to bring the world to its knees before them.

Aaron Sylvester:

antipunt:

Then we will find Jesus

makes sense

.__.

1337mokro:
You know. Technically speaking the LHC could destroy the world. Making it a weapon of Total Annihilation. Better gird your loins Switzerland, America will soon be coming to get you.

Assuming France, Germany, Italy and Austria let America through.

This is how World War 3 starts.

DasDestroyer:
The truth is they've had their first success at time travel through electron-injected Kerr black holes and are now pretending to disable the LHC so that nobody suspects them as they slowly use their time travel monopoly to bring the world to its knees before them.

Shhhh watch what you say THEY may be reading your post at this very moment, if you'll excuse me I have a banana.... to microwave...

El Psy Congroo

Squilookle:

Fireprufe15:
That awesome time you live in when you're reading about real technology and it sounds like scifi...

Fixed that for you.

No need to thank me, it's all in a day's work.

Nice fix, I total agree.

So now that they can't play with their high tech toy.... how long do I have to wait for a clone to cover mondaymornings at work?

I've actually been there when it was still being built, I gotta tell you those magnets are a sight to behold. It seems so counterintuitive that you need such awesomely large structures to find things so minute.

Also included was a talk about how the thing actually worked, shame I forgot most about that.

Fireprufe15:

good scifi has some basis in truth, or it just sounds like magic
writers do allot of research for books to make them seem real or ground them in a particular society's custom
on the flip side:
cyber-technology, nanotechnology, pocket pc's, video phones were based on ideas and the wants and needs of people
and engineers are always looking to fulfill those needs, as-well as scifi content creators so chances are if you make a really good scifi technology something similar will be built in the future
( that or an engineer reads it and blatantly rips it off! )

both cool and scary, i'd say considering what happens in so many scifi books

The Lugz:

Fireprufe15:

writers do allot of research for books to make them seem real or ground them in a particular society's custom
on the flip side:
cyber-technology, nanotechnology, pocket pc's, video phones were based on ideas and the wants and needs of people
and engineers are always looking to fulfill those needs, as-well as scifi content creators so chances are if you make a really good scifi technology something similar will be built in the future

90% of scifi comes off as magic anyways some times even with the hand wave techno babble they add.

So we'll go two years without anyone colliding large hardons?

Ukomba:

The Lugz:

Fireprufe15:

on the flip side:

90% of scifi comes off as magic anyways some times even with the hand wave techno babble they add.

i agree hence my prefix 'good scifi' precise definitions and percentages vary depending on your point of view
mine is that the definition of scifi means something isn't, can't or can't(/yet) be so holes are plugged with
logic along the lines of 'well if we have enough power' and in cases total nonsense like fictional elements
as for outright magic..
i can enjoy magic alongside scifi, but my preference is the two genres be separated by a good wedge of exposition
at the absolute minimum case in point, 'q' from star-trek he's essentially an all powerful sorcerer but it works because he's part of a god-like race of immortals which helps with suspension of disbelief

Ukomba:
Will that be when it destroys the world? I was promised it would destroy the world.

Don't worry. Version 2.1 will destroy not only the Earth but the entire universe.

The Lugz:

Ukomba:

The Lugz:

on the flip side:

i agree hence my prefix 'good scifi' precise definitions and percentages vary depending on your point of view
mine is that the definition of scifi means something isn't, can't or can't(/yet) be so holes are plugged with
logic along the lines of 'well if we have enough power' and in cases total nonsense like fictional elements
as for outright magic..
i can enjoy magic alongside scifi, but my preference is the two genres be separated by a good wedge of exposition
at the absolute minimum case in point, 'q' from star-trek he's essentially an all powerful sorcerer but it works because he's part of a god-like race of immortals which helps with suspension of disbelief

See, I don't mind magic alongside scifi, as long as they don't try to hand wave the magic into science. In Star Wars, I had no problem with the force until they tried to explain it. It's a lot like how I view anything that flys in Scifi/Fantasy. I have no problem with a broom flying or the Millennium Falcon flying, but if your object/creature has wings or propellers then it better F***ing work aerodynamically.

Ukomba:

See, I don't mind magic alongside scifi, as long as they don't try to hand wave the magic into science. In Star Wars, I had no problem with the force until they tried to explain it. It's a lot like how I view anything that flys in Scifi/Fantasy. I have no problem with a broom flying or the Millennium Falcon flying, but if your object/creature has wings or propellers then it better F***ing work aerodynamically.

yeah, the force was better as an all encompassing universal magic than some kind of cellular charge level but that was kinda demanded by the fans, because some people need to know things that ruin everything.. for themselves and others

a note on aerodynamics, though don't judge media too hard on aerodynamics it's a seriously hard topic and plenty of things that don't look right actually work quite well.. and hiring a simulator ( or even a large wind tunnel ) for a day could well equate to the cost of a low budget film if you want an example go look at the old shuttle and ask yourself
how does this shape cut through the air efficiently to reduce drag

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19940006365_1994006365.pdf

^ just look at that document for a moment and consider how complicated aerodynamics calculations would be for some of your favorite sci-fi vehicles
and you'll soon see what i mean it would take decades of research to get right
it just isn't financially plausible.. yet! personally i'm happy sweeping the actual development costs of a starship under the rug in exchange for more films of them

you're dead right though, if i were to write a guide book for a sci-fi author i'd definitely include tips on how to make 'magical' objects realistic by having easily identifiable characteristics that you could put your finger on and name but not the exact science behind them because it's too much info and liable to be wrong under close examination

another of the things that annoy me is the lack of creativity, i can tell you the flux density of the electromagnetic field of the star will have variances in it, but who actually cares?
it's like stating the obvious in 'buzzword' instead of English

also we need to stop reversing the polarity, except for the 1% times it might work it's just a tired meme at this point

^ perhaps we should start a forum group to this end
'what nerds want'
that Is how things get done online, after-all

it's going on a 14 years hiatus.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook