World's First Cyborg Speaks Out

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

amiran123:
Using technology to make up for handicaps? Sure!

Using technology to replace working bodyparts? Not so much...

"lets become robots" "that sounds like a good idea"

DVS BSTrD:
I bet Cyborg-marriage will be recognized in Texas before gay-marriage.

and now we have something new to protest in 2013.

Gay Cyborg Marriage.

That is amazing.

Just trying to imagine how that guy sees the world around him. Soon we are stepping into a world were technology won't just make up for what is missing, but improve what we already have.

This guy is just a self publicist. There are about 250000 people world wide that have cochlear implants. Cochlear implants are electronic devices that convert sound into electrical impulses which in turn used to stimulate the nerves in the cochlear. This allows deaf people to hear. It is also a direct connection between an electronic device an the nervous system, you can't get much more Cyborg than that.

This guy isn't a cyborg at all, and I'm pretty sure he knows that. He's just using that term because "fighting for cyborg rights" sounds better than "trying to convince people I should be allowed to wear my computerized camera-headphone gadget anywhere I want including places that expressly prohibit cameras because I can't see colors without it... or with it, but at least it makes beeping sounds to tell me what colors I'm not seeing."

Nope, this is too weird for me. Please take me back to 2001, so I can be seven again, and cyborgs are in films.

roman gnome:
This guy isn't a cyborg at all, and I'm pretty sure he knows that. He's just using that term because "fighting for cyborg rights" sounds better than "trying to convince people I should be allowed to wear my computerized camera-headphone gadget anywhere I want including places that expressly prohibit cameras because I can't see colors without it... or with it, but at least it makes beeping sounds to tell me what colors I'm not seeing."

This ^

He isn't any more than a cyborg than a caveman who wears deer-skins to keep warm or me whenever i wear glasses so i can see like a normal person.

Humans have been "augmenting" themselves since we learnt to make fire, it's hardly a new thing. All that's happened is he's wearing an unusual, unrecognised piece of technology which has given him problems in cinemas and supermarkets, so he's come up with this "cyborg discrimination" idea as a means of responding to this discrimination he faces.

Because pacemakers and cochlear implants totally don't make you a cyborg, but wearing a headset does. [/sarcasm]

so when do we begin to see Terminators ?

I for one am less concerned about cyborg rights, and more concerned that the theoretically first cyborg has a bowl cut.

I have a disorder which makes me have no depth perception at all and I can really connect with him having to memorize stuff which seems so obvious to others. If they make something wich makes me able to detect distances, I would 100% be up for becoming a cyborg. It would be so amazing to be able to play tennis or football just once.

Cheers to him. It's still a little sad that he'll never experience the colours visually and that people are treating anything different as "die!", but that's good that he can experience colour in some way. Colour is AWESOME! I hope these enhancements become public before I die. I'd love to extend the range of my perceptions one day.

Learning about cyborg-ethics at the moment at university, this is very interesting. :)

EtherealBeaver:
I have a disorder which makes me have no depth perception at all and I can really connect with him having to memorize stuff which seems so obvious to others. If they make something wich makes me able to detect distances, I would 100% be up for becoming a cyborg. It would be so amazing to be able to play tennis or football just once.

The Speedborg would be ideal for people in your situation. It basically adds an internal radar allowing you to perceive the motion of objects in front of you as vibrations. Scarily enough it can be combined with the 360 Sensory Extension on the back of the head to allow you to also perceive motion behind you.

I suspect that the military might be quite interested in this technology...

You can view their website at http://www.cyborgfoundation.com/

The singularity is approaching too quickly... We are already using technology to enhance our senses beyond normal human levels... Can I start building that bunker now?

That sounded horrendous. So basically he still can't see colour, but now he's accompanied by a cacophony everywhere he goes.

Sounds weird. Glad it works for him, but surely a functioning bionic eye would be preferable?
That would lead to all kinds of awesome enhancements like perception of all the currently invisible wavelengths of the light spectrum evan a built-in HUD(you know you want it).
That sounds like a dodgy workaround rather than a replacement, substituting one sense as another.
Also, plenty of people have already stated the obvious, where does that leave people with cochlear implants, advanced prosthetics and such?
Hhmmm. Take it with a pinch of salt.

As a diabetic with an insulin pump I must object to his claim of first, as I basically have a robotic pancreas. (And I'm not even first with one of those)

Chemical Alia:
Awesome technology! My grandfather was totally colorblind and loved new technology, he probably would have loved this.

I'm no cyborg, but my brain does something just the opposite. When I hear music or tonal sounds, I perceive a specific color along with it. My piano teacher thought I was crazy.

There is actually a medical condition for that, it's called Synesthesia and it is actually pretty cool. Kandynsky was a famous case of it.

OT: I'm always pro-cyborg enhancement, so this is just cool.

Great and all, so when the hell am I gonna replace my piece of shit knees with ones that don't feel like they're sticking thumbtacks under them whenever I run over a mile?

Scribblesense:

DVS BSTrD:

Only because it will let them marry their guns.

If I had the money I swear, I'd frame this quote and send it to every NRA member in Texas.

This is plain offensive. He's not nearly the first cyborg - Arne Larsson, for example, has a much stronger claim.

In fact, given that his little gadget is removable, it's a very valid position that he's not a cyborg at all.

And given the robot parts under my skin, I am saying it's very offensive this twerp thinks he speaks for all of us.

DVS BSTrD:

Despite the fact that in the 2003 Lawrence v Texas case, Texas ironically helped legalize same sex sexual activity in every state in the U.S....

Sometimes life can be beautiful like that. But I don't doubt your statement.

They did something like this years ago with a lady who had been born blind by implanting a device directly into her brain that took images of what she saw through a pair of sunglasses and created a number of 'light dots' to give her a vague of idea of what was going on around her. It was pretty primitive looking considering it had wires fused to the glasses and a fairly large metal plug sticking out of her skull, I also heard it was a experimental technology at the time, we had to watch a video on it in my freshman science class.

I think this means not only is this guy not the worlds first cyborg by his slightly warped deffition of a cyborg, but he isn't even the worlds first cyborg by his warped definitions known by one of the thousand or so people that read this article and who pays very little attention to the bio-engineering scene.

On a side note I really like the idea of something like google glasses in robot eye form.

Who is infringing on his rights? We all love technology!

Genocidicles:
Reminded me of Alpha Centauri:

I for one would gladly become a cyborg, if the enhancements were an improvement. I've got quite crummy eyes, so I wouldn't mind some robotic replacements with built in nightvision or something.

I love that game.

ron1n:
I for one welcome our new Cyborg Overlords.

Cats clearly are the overlords!

Madara XIII:

DVS BSTrD:

Despite the fact that in the 2003 Lawrence v Texas case, Texas ironically helped legalize same sex sexual activity in every state in the U.S....

But marriage is a sacred institution between an a robot and another robot. Nice avatar btw: the great and powerful Madara.

DVS BSTrD:

Madara XIII:

DVS BSTrD:

But marriage is a sacred institution between an a robot and another robot. Nice avatar btw: the great and powerful Madara.

Hehehe thanks. I can say the same about your awesome avatar as well.
But yeah the "Sacred" institution of Marriage is a silly subject when it comes to Texas and other southern states.

Looks like the New Black Gold is coming earlier than expected.

insanelich:
This is plain offensive. He's not nearly the first cyborg - Arne Larsson, for example, has a much stronger claim.

In fact, given that his little gadget is removable, it's a very valid position that he's not a cyborg at all.

And given the robot parts under my skin, I am saying it's very offensive this twerp thinks he speaks for all of us.

I agree, this kiddo is far from the world first cyborg.

I would consider anyone with a pace maker to be more of a cyborg than him, what he has is a speaker attached to a camera.

The guy just sounds like a douchebag. He's not a cyborg. He's definitely not the FIRST cyborg. He's just a whiny prat who wants special treatment because he can't see colour... which is barely a disability at all (life is slightly less rich, sure, but it's not much of an actual impediment), and best of all this ugly piece of crap he's wearing doesn't actually fix that!

The year, is 2027...

Seriously though, I love this idea. Sounds pretty rad. Tanshumanists all over the world will rejoice that in years to come, things like this will be the norm.

Daverson:

romanator0:
I want to know why this guy needs special rights. It's not like he's being discriminated against because of what he has attached to his head is he? He's just a regular guy with some computer parts attached to him.

Except Cyborgs have been discriminated against.

Last year there was a great conference I went to on human augmentation called Our Post-Human Future where they discussed the implications of cybernetics and improved prosthetics (i.e. questions like if a handicap athlete performed at a level equal to or greater then an Olympic athlete, then why should they be limited to the Paraolympics, stuff like that). While discussing the topic of possible discrimination towards cyborgs with an expert, he pointed out that the most likely place that would occur would be in workplaces, particularly industrial settings. If, for example, strength-oriented or information-processing augmentation became more commonplace, the result would be individuals who could out-excel normal workers for the same price. This raises all sorts of questions in regards to access to technology, union responses to human augmentation, rendering 'normal' humans obsolete, etc. Another question is how governments in general would respond to augmentation, whether through heavily regulating it or redefining existing legal documents to create a right to self-modification.

Basically the ultimate point was that when the technology actually becomes more refined and cost-effective we're going to start seeing dramatic social and cultural shifts. Historically speaking this is a breeding ground for discrimination, so I really think Mr. Harbisson is just planning ahead (even if his title of 'first cyborg' is utter self-congratulatory bullshit).

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137987n

Came across this story too... along with the previously linked

http://www.ted.com/talks/todd_kuiken_a_prosthetic_arm_that_feels.html

This shit is... fewcharrrrs.

Science is teh orsum.

i wish i had teh smart.

Daverson:

romanator0:
I want to know why this guy needs special rights. It's not like he's being discriminated against because of what he has attached to his head is he? He's just a regular guy with some computer parts attached to him.

Except Cyborgs have been discriminated against.

I dont know why but that fills me with rage.

I probably would have done some very unpleasant things to those employee's had I been in that restaurant.

Xanadu84:
I for one am less concerned about cyborg rights, and more concerned that the theoretically first cyborg has a bowl cut.

This. He could get a long way with changing his hair cut and general posture. Sure that thing on his head looks silly, but he's not making it any easier on himself by presenting himself like that.

Bhaalspawn:
Defend Cyborg rights? Is there any possibility of anyone in the world wanting to make potential cyborgs into second class citizens?

Besides the American Right Wing, obviously.

As things are now? No.
But if you suddenly saw pimped out people in the street with obvious ocular implants or displaying two robotic arms, then there'd certainly be a split opinion between people, don't you think?

Especially if you knew they had those enhancements/replacements based on want, not out of necessity.

At least they're getting the ball rolling now, rather than sixty years from now when anti-cyborg sentiment is at an all time high...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here