Rock Band DLC Releases Ending in April

Rock Band DLC Releases Ending in April

After more than five years of weekly updates, Harmonix is bringing an end to Rock Band DLC releases.

It's hard to believe that it's been more than half a decade since Harmonix unleashed Rock Band on the world, and even more amazing that in the years since, the studio has released more than 4000 songs in support of the game. But Harmonix is moving on to other projects and thus, like all good things, that famously rock-solid DLC schedule is coming to an end.

Rock Band DLC releases will come to an end on April 2 but new content will be put out between now and then, including the remaining tracks from Rock Band Blitz, Pro guitar upgrades and even some artists who haven't yet appeared in the game. And while no new DLC is planned, the Rock Central servers, leaderboards and Music Store will continue to run "for the foreseeable future," as will the Rock Band website and forums. The studio also said it still has the ability to release new content in the future, "should the right band and the right opportunity arise"

"We're incredibly proud of the DLC milestones we've set, especially producing the largest music library of any game available, and we wouldn't have been able to release as much outstanding content without the support of our amazing community," it wrote. "We hope that you'll all agree that this has been a tremendous run, and you should know it's a ride that we at Harmonix have been thrilled to be a part of."

Harmonix also said that as a thank-you to fans, it will continue the current half-price sale on more than 1100 songs in the Rock Band DLC library indefinitely.

Source: Rock Band

I hope that tis is the last song that can be bought:

Wait, Rock Band is still alive? Who still buys content for it?

Andy Chalk:
The studio also said it still has the ability to release new content in the future, "should the right band and the right opportunity arise"

Well, at least that means that the possibility of some future Pink Floyd or XTC DLC isn't completely off the table.

I know that the chances of it actually happening are still very slim though.

All I really wanted was Rock Band: Japan...oh well, maybe in a couple of years if the franchise gets a reboot it'll go in that direction, like Dance-Dance Revolution in reverse.

I used to play Rock Band a lot and have a ton of DLC, and even if I don't play it anymore, seeing the weekly updates end is a little shocking.

Whatever Harmonix is working on now will probably be good, pretty much everything else has.

This depresses me. Now I feel bad for cutting back on buying RB DLC shortly after RB3 came out.

Thank you Harmonix, for supporting such an awesome series of games for so many years.

I don't even want to know how much I've spent over the years on DLC, let alone how much I've spent on instruments. Worth every penny though, it's still tons of fun.

Rock Band has been one of my favorite series to date, and I've spent a bit too much money on DLC. But still, it's a bit sad to see the end of an era, but exciting to see the beginning of a new one.

I would love to see The Electric Light Orchestra be part of the DLC before it all goes away, but if it has to stop, then I am happy I bought what I bought when I could.

Thank you, Harmonix.

The Hungry Samurai:
This depresses me. Now I feel bad for cutting back on buying RB DLC shortly after RB3 came out.

That's what happened to me. I was blown away by the Ion Drum Rocker, Pro guitar, and keyboard, bought a couple songs to accommodate those and then it totally stopped. Maybe the magic was in the instruments being fake? I still play the pro drums from time to time but I have so many damn songs that I couldn't imagine spending money on more of them. It's sad to see the music game train coming to a stop like this.

I'll admit I never bought a great deal of Rock Band DLC, when the odd song interested me I'd splurge but otherwise I wasn't a habitual buyer.

It is still sad to see this come to an end, I've been following Harmonix and their exploits with the rhythm genre since the very first Guitar Hero and hearing this news makes me feel like it's all coming to an end soon.

Andy Chalk:

Harmonix also said that as a thank-you to fans, it will continue the current half-price sale on more than 1100 songs in the Rock Band DLC library indefinitely.

Harmonix are cool people who have had my respect from start to finish, nice to see it wasn't misplaced. Graceful finish, guys.

I'm amazed they were able to keep DLC going this long since rhythm games haven't been popular for a few years now and I thought no one was still buying DLC for the games.

Falterfire:
Wait, Rock Band is still alive? Who still buys content for it?

Yo.

Blachman201:

I know that the chances of it actually happening are still very slim though.

Especially since Harmonix appears to be moving on to other things, now. Pink Floyd was unlikely unless it got some major The Beatles: Rock Band treatment.

Dam, they never even realised Rockband Network in New Zealand for the Xbox 360. This is a shame. Interest in this game seemed to disappear as fast as it came. Out of all the people I played with I am the only one who still has it.

And the FoFix fan board collectively cries out in pain.

Well that sucks.

I have to give Rock Band props for having music I actually wanted to play; Watain, Arsis,The Faceless, Exodus, Behemoth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Children of Bodom, Bornholm, Dimmu Borgir...they're few and far between, but at least there was some legitimate metal I could get into.

As opposed to Guitar Hero, where if it wasn't well established or on the radio, it didn't exist.

Wow, this reminds me that it's been years since I've played RB. Maybe I should finally buy the damn game, it was loads of fun back in college.

Andy Chalk:

Rock Band DLC releases will come to an end on April 2 but new content will be put out between now and then, including the remaining tracks from Rock Band Blitz, Pro guitar upgrades and even some artists who haven't yet appeared in the game.

If they give me some Dissection and Venom, I'd be soooooo happy.

The rhythm game phenomenon always makes me a little bit sad to think about. They were games that were tons of fun to play, a great party game, and introduced a lot of people to many new songs and artists they wouldnt have otherwise heard about. But it was so popular, and was being milked so much, that it seemed like in the blink of an eye, the whole genre just died.

I'm impressed Harmonix kept supporting RB though after all this time.

This is a shame. I still have a list of songs I need to download.

As sad as this is.....it will be freaking amazing to see the Xbox Marketplace stop being cluttered up with dozens of song releases every week so its easier to find content for other games.....

Darren716:
I'm amazed they were able to keep DLC going this long since rhythm games haven't been popular for a few years now and I thought no one was still buying DLC for the games.

Anyone who still had the controllers around and liked a band/song they released. Most of my friends who really enjoy both music and video games still buy new songs when it suits them. It was a fun ride and at least I got the exact Slayer three pack I wanted them to release.

Paragon Fury:
As sad as this is.....it will be freaking amazing to see the Xbox Marketplace stop being cluttered up with dozens of song releases every week so its easier to find content for other games.....

It won't completely stop, Rock Band Network will continue to put out new songs.

o.0

holy hell that was still getting DLC support o.o;;

when they say they're gonna give a game DLC support they don't fuck around do they.

It's sad, but it was going to happen at some point. The reality is that as time goes on, people stop playing, stop buying, and it becomes less viable. Harmonix did the best thing for the consumer with their business model for Rock Band, so they deserve respect for that.

I imagine we'll see a resurgence in music gaming again at some point - there just needs to be a lull, give it 5-10 years, and there will be a group of young people with spare money who have never played a music game like this, someone will release something, and it'll all come back again. It's a great party game, and I find it hard to imagine it'll just cease to exist forever. Hopefully in the future the industry will progress more sustainably (I'm looking at you, Activision).

As someone who owns just shy of 800 songs (792 to be exact) this makes me a sad panda, and has effectively ruined my night :(

Although I don't play RB NEARLY as much as I used to, I still play it several times a month and own almost all the different instruments, and I still actively buy DLC when there's a song I like.

RIP Rock Band, it's been a great ride!

On the bright side, the RBN is still being supported on xbox, so new songs will still trickle in, but they will mostly be indie bands.

As sad as this is, it's not entirely unexpected from me. I've been looking for the GOOD Pro Guitar (y'know, the one that actually uses strings) lately to move on to that from the basic guitar, and it's impossible to find anywhere. Likewise, Gamestop has stopped carrying instruments for the most part, and you really don't see much in the way of Rock Band news unless you go directly to their website. This is incredibly sad for me that I'll never get to play songs from some of my favorite bands, but who knows, they're small enough that I might be able to get into contact with them and use RBN to import the songs directly? (Psssh, as if I were to be that lucky).

Anyway, it was a good Run Harmonix, and I look forward to seeing what you have to offer in the future. So until RockBand 4, Godspeed Harmonix, Godspeed.

Dang, I still play and buy RB3 every now and then. Ever since RB3 came out, I transferred all my songs there and probably bought around a 100 songs. Great stuff to have at parties, especially with new songs being released very often. It was a nice change after GH died so suddenly.

Thanks RB. I will forever keep my instruments and I wil play every now and then still. :(

At least now the new dlc section on xbox won't be all Rock Band songs.....cause that gets real boring really quickly

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here