China Opens Unofficial League of Legends Restaurant

Pages 1 2 NEXT

China Opens Unofficial League of Legends Restaurant

"Deep Fried Skarner" (scorpion) and "Braised Cassiopia," (snake meat) are the speciality dishes of China's latest videogame-themed eatery.

China is infamous for cheap knock-offs and imitation brands. The country is difficult for American copyright lawyers to reach, so they get away with things like the World of Warcraft-themed resturant and the Blizzard-themed amusement park. This time they've set their sights on Riot Game's League of Legends, with the aptly named restaurant, Demacia, opening in Chongqing, China. The restaurant is decorated with tons of League of Legends paraphernalia, the wait staff are dressed as League of Legends characters, and the menu features many dishes inspired by League of Legends champions.

Among the most bizarre of the menu items are "Deep Fried Skarners," a dish of actual deep fried scorpions, which are considered a delicacy in many parts of China. "Braised Cassiopeia" is made from snake meat, which is valued in China for its supposed medicinal qualities. Other strange items include "Braised Rammus" (turtle), "Braised Renekton Thigh" (crocodile) and "Water Cooked Fizz" (frog). Some slightly less outlandish dishes include the "Alistar T-Bone Steak" and the "Anivia Roasted Chicken".

There is a station set up where customers can play League of Legends for a chance to win discounts on their meal as well as other prizes. Gamers can now legitimately claim that their gaming habit "puts food on the table." The restaurant also features a full bar, with alcoholic cocktails based on the game's health and mana potions. According to a local news article, the owners have invested around $160,000 USD getting the restaurant up and running.

Source & Images: MMO Culture

That's pretty awesome. Though I find it slightly unsettling to think of those poor champions ending up on someone's plate XD

Is Anivia served cold? :P

If I consume them do I get their powers? :D

Do Cease and Desist Orders simply not exist in China?

kajinking:

Not really, no.

OT

Rammus is NOT a turtle!

kajinking:

I'm pretty sure they do, but only for Chinese companies.

Oh look, A Chinese company/person opening a store/park with no regard for who actually owns the IP. How surprising.

Id fly out there right now if they promised me Shyvana would serve me a nice steak dinner...

That is great XD

I am glad that copyright lawyers can't reach China.
One question though? Alistar T-bone steak? Can you milk those now?

I'd eat there, ya know, if I ever wanted to visit a communist authoritarian country. I like the menu though...

Like Dandark, I'm also glad that copyright lawyers cannot reach China. I think they've gone completely overboard in the US, where companies are just bullshitting other companies for the sake of trying to make a quick buck. If they were in the US, I'm sure that Riot would get a portion of the money, but I'd hope that they'd actually allow such a place for the entertainment and advertisement purposes.

Dammit America! Get on-board; you can't afford to lose all your nerds to China. Speaking of which, how much is a plane ticket these days?

I truly wish that they have a Mordekaiser meal which is just a chunk of metal.

Eri:
Oh look, A Chinese company/person opening a store/park with no regard for who actually owns the IP. How surprising.

This has never happened before. not even once.

Ever.

I'd like the giant steampunk style robot guy to be my server.

ResonanceSD:

Eri:

This has never happened before. not even once.

Ever.

wait.....

did..... did they make a knock off of a knock off?

Because there was another TF2 inspired game that was released in China a while back. Fighting Doll or something along that nature, same classes, nearly the same weapons, and the trailer was eerily similar to TF2's.

but hey, go with what you know I guess.

Eri:

In my hometown of Easton, Pennsylvania, there is an unlicensed Pez museum called for legal reasons the Museum of Pez rather than the Pez Museum. It's scandalous!

Teemo burgers! D:

kajinking:

I dunno what the actual laws are like, but China has very different cultural notions about things like piracy/intellectual property/etc. The prevailing belief is that production of culture belongs to the public as a whole: if you write a book or make a movie or whatever, you have no right to deny access to it based on money. While Western culture takes a "You made it, it's yours and yours alone, and you have the right to control access to to it" view, China's take is more along the lines of "You made it, it's part of our communal culture, it would be unjust and damaging to society to only allow those with enough money to partake." Allowing everyone to experience culture regardless of whether they're rich or poor trumps allowing the content creator a monopoly on production.

One can agree or disagree (personally, it's an idea I can get behind), but yeah. It's just silly that so many people assume China actually gives a shit about enforcing Western notions of "intellectual property": they have a domineering enough govt that if they wanted to, they could.

Edit: Not that the cafe is contributing to any kind of meaningful culture, I'm just talking about the general case.

you might say people go there to get fed

This is great. Such restaurans should be more popular but due to stupidly written copyright laws in the west such is not possible.

So if this is like a normal restaurant, shouldn't somebody open a DOTA themed, more expensive restaurant across the street where they allow you to steal food of other peoples plates if they have less than 10% of the original mass left?

Man, Cho'Gath would have the time of his life there.

Omnomnom

I love that Garen statute. Although my only critisim on it is that there should be a bush with Garen in it.

Then you have a sign on top of this bush that says "Garen is in every bush!" or something along those lines.

I guess stealing other people's ideas is easier than coming up with your own.

bananafishtoday:

I dunno what the actual laws are like, but China has very different cultural notions about things like piracy/intellectual property/etc. The prevailing belief is that production of culture belongs to the public as a whole: if you write a book or make a movie or whatever, you have no right to deny access to it based on money.

It's not really a Chinese culture thing - well rather, it is in that the gov't turning a blind eye towards enforcing it for such a long time (China did not consider Western IP laws til 1992 or so, so it's still 'new' to them) has created a culture around it, but not for sharing and creating (derivitives), but copying and profiting from it. Coupled with 1b+ people, where even if caught, they'd just close up shop and reopen as another fake branded product, rarely with any follow up and punishment.

Said lack of regulations also causes situations where companies copy without the research behind the product, resulting in the manufacturing process cutting corners because Western markets want lower prices (re: Wal-Mart). Cutting corners like inserting poisonous chemicals into baby formula powder to bypass tests, which end up killing babies. Or the same into pet treats. Or using chemicals to make soy sauce out of hair. Or a train system where the understanding of safety systems were not in place, causing a crash and loss of life. And also due to costs, treat their employees like crap (Foxconn anyone?).

Not to say western IP laws are better with their 50y+ duration, but there should be some happy middle ground between locked down forever to a free for all with no compensation or incentive for the content creator.

Neither extreme is good for civilization the way it is currently.

That's awesome! I'd love to eat me some fried skarner, I hate that guy.

I'll just say what was said on the LoL forums. I am now thinking about an asian Caitlyn threesome.

We'll see how this turns out though. Riot is owned by a Chinese company. A pretty powerful Chinese company at that. China may not have respect for international IP laws, but I don't believe they would sit back and watch as their own IP was hurt.

Personally, considering the way copyright laws are here in the states, companies DESERVE to have their IPs used like this.

As for this restaurant, I see one potential flaw. Are they going to have to release a new menu item every month to balance out the flavors of the other items?

I wasn't sure about this place at first, but then I ate some oranges and it was k.

This sums up china

Eri:

Who actually gives a damn about IP laws these days except gigantic megacorporations and their overpaid lawyers?

As much as i would like to eat there, i think that i would have this nagging feeling that im eating a sentient being.

Drejer43:
As much as i would like to eat there, i think that i would have this nagging feeling that im eating a sentient being.

Come on now, cats are merely pseudo-sentient.

China has a wonderful model that seems to be working entirely in their favor. You can't knock off a Chinese product because it's already a knock-off of something made by a Western nation. So it's not like the West can just say "If you won't take into account our copyright laws in your country then we won't consider them for ours." because the very things you aren't protecting are already knock-offs anyway.

I don't think the Chinese have globally produced a single memorable product that has copyright protection.

Ok, that's fucking awesome. They even called it Demacia? Well, I guess that Garentees their success right?

You get it? I did like a thing...

Just add a Teemo-related dish and watch their popularity soar. HATE that little bastard! I just want to CHASE THE TEEMO! DIE YOU BITCH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I hope they pay a guy to sit inside a bush dressed as Garen and occasionally jump out on people. That would be so hype!

However by naming it the Demacia they may have shot themselves in the foot by excluding all the Noxian and Ionian characters. Hell, why is Caitlyn working there? Must be an undercover case outside of Piltover, very hush hush.

If the chefs aren't dressed as Katarina when it comes to preparing the food with, y'know knives i'll be so disappointed. EVEN THE MALES!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here