Square Enix Asks You To Solve Your Own Murder

Square Enix Asks You To Solve Your Own Murder

O'Connor, the hero of Murdered: Soul Suspect, never lost a fight ... until now.

Take a good look: that's the hero of the story, about to find out whether the pavement is harder than his head. That, and maybe a few other things, gives you a really good reason to want the other fella dead, and Square Enix is hoping that the lure of solving your own murder will entice you into its latest project: Murdered: Soul Suspect.

You play as Detective O'Connor, formerly of Salem, Massachusetts, now residing in the nearest morgue. "I lived through it all," says he, courtesy of the game's Facebook page, "the beat-downs, the back-stabbing, disrespect most people wouldn't see in ten lifetimes and I never lost a fight... until now." There are a couple of photos up on that same Facebook page, one of which may indicate your first port of call; unless it's a coincidence that you happened to take your final dive right in front of what looks suspiciously like a psychic's shopfront.

There's not much to go on at the moment, and you've a while to wait before you get your hands on this one. Early 2014, for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, is the best Square Enix is prepared to do at this point.

Source: murdered.com

Looks Neat. I might get this on the Xbox (Or if it does come for the WiiU, then the WiiU).

I get the same feeling from this as I did when I saw the first teaser for Dishonored. I'm excited.

soul suspect? SOUL suspect! genius!

next step: hijack a psychic and have sex with your ex.

Solve your murder huh? Where have I heard that before...

Oh yeah!
Sorry Square, concept has been done!

OT: Looks cool, but I am still getting a huge Ghost Trick vibe...for obvious reasons.

Wait, was that Ron Perlman?

Well color me interested.

I think I saw this movie, and this episode of NCIS.
They were pretty good, but said.

It looks like I've been...

*Puts on sunglasses*

...ghosted.

There was a ps2 game where you had to basically do a Groundhogs day (even though it was May Eve) thing and repeatedly solve your own murder because apparently you were pretty well doomed 6 times over that day.

Another game, Tugunai: Atonement had your soul body-jacking people and helping them to break a curse.

This game however doesn't interest me, and the fact that SE is making it actually turns that disinterest into actively avoiding any and all future news about it.

Thats what happens when you tank your company for a decade or so, your fans eventually get wise to the fact that your best work was in the 1990s.

I dunno, this sounds cool. Is Sqeenix still capable of making good games?

Is this a new IP, or a reboot/rehash of something I've never heard of? Because I like new IP's. Reboots are fine, too, though. Sometimes.

Anyway, YEAH NEW IP!

Looks pretty interesting, and a like the idea! Haven't played quite anything with a story like that before.

That's cool it is coming to the PC. It sounds like a pretty interesting game. I can't wait to play it.

TizzytheTormentor:

Oh yeah!

OT: Looks cool, but I am still getting a huge Ghost Trick vibe...for obvious reasons.

yep
it's Ghost Trick with a fatter budget and less charme

There was a ps2 game where you had to basically do a Groundhogs day (even though it was May Eve) thing and repeatedly solve your own murder because apparently you were pretty well doomed 6 times over that day.

Do you mean Shadow of Memories?
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/800/82255_full.jpg

FreedomofInformation:

Do you mean Shadow of Memories?
http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/800/82255_full.jpg

HAH! i was thinking about that as i read the article and watched the video. Yeah, Well...Shadow of Memories is a nice Adventure game, but it some really big issues on the gameplay side, so maybe SE could improve on that while giving us a story thats as good or better than SOM

Want to solve ANY murder, much less your own? Have your soul follow Jessica Fletcher. End frickin' story.

KoudelkaMorgan:

Another game, Tugunai: Atonement had your soul body-jacking people and helping them to break a curse.

This game however doesn't interest me, and the fact that SE is making it actually turns that disinterest into actively avoiding any and all future news about it.

Thats what happens when you tank your company for a decade or so, your fans eventually get wise to the fact that your best work was in the 1990s.

Deus Ex: HR
Just Cause 2
Sleeping Dogs

just 3 games off the top of my head published by SE in the last few years that have been great.

OT: sounds interesting, I'll definently be keeping an eye on this.

I like it when Square-Enix try new IP's. I'll give it a chance, looks interesting enough.

TizzytheTormentor:

Oh yeah!

Accursed ninja! I was going to reference the greatest story in gaming history!
Now I am forced to rant at you.
But seriously Karloff, how can you not acknowledge Ghost Trick in your newspost?
Have you not played it?
Go fix that.
Now.

It sounds interesting. But in reality, why would I want to solve my own murder when I can walk around like a ghost scoping out naked ladies and doing all kinds of interesting things? You'd need to promise me an afterlife much better than being a ghost.

Well nice to see Harvey Bullock is still getting work. And in HD too

SecondPrize:
I dunno, this sounds cool. Is Sqeenix still capable of making good games?

Deux Ex. 'Nuff said. Keep in mind that they acquired Eidos and all of their holdings; I would bet that this isn't an in-house project.

TizzytheTormentor:

Oh yeah!

Really? We're still doing the "this has been doing before" thing? Yeah, cause... you know... I bet that Capcom totally invented that concept. Yup, not a single other piece of media has ever been about a ghost trying to solve his own murder. It all started with Capcom.

WhiteTigerShiro:

TizzytheTormentor:

Oh yeah!

Really? We're still doing the "this has been doing before" thing? Yeah, cause... you know... I bet that Capcom totally invented that concept. Yup, not a single other piece of media has ever been about a ghost trying to solve his own murder. It all started with Capcom.

It's a joke, lighten up dude, not like I was being totally serious.

TizzytheTormentor:

No, sorry. For one, you can't claim to be joking after being called out. Secondly, even if you were seriously joking (oxymoron? o.O), it's still been done to death, so it still doesn't get a pass.

WhiteTigerShiro:

TizzytheTormentor:

No, sorry. For one, you can't claim to be joking after being called out.

Uhh, yes I can, just because you couldn't catch the fact that it was a joke, doesn't mean it wasn't a joke before.

WhiteTigerShiro:
Secondly, even if you were seriously joking (oxymoron? o.O), it's still been done to death, so it still doesn't get a pass.

A pass from who? You? I was pointing out the similarities with the concept. So why are you ragging on this?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here