Updated: PlayStation 4 Becomes Reality

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Also, gametrailers has a really strong stream going. Working 100% for me.

Adam Jensen:

doggie015:
I was honestly not expecting that! GDDR5 RAM is stupidly quick! Assuming that they have a good CPU and a northbridge chip that can push such high speeds from RAM to CPU then we might actually see something that can match and possibly even BEAT a high-end PC!

Keep in mind though, all those social gimmicks like taking video footage, screenshots etc. consumes a lot of RAM. I wonder how much RAM will developers have left to use for actual games.

Wont PCs be able to catch up pretty quickly anyway? Say with 12GB or so of triple channel PC3-22400 for system memory and 4GB or more of GDDR5 on the graphics card? This stuff is already available on the market with the price almost dropping day by day

Edit

The standby feature will be awesome, the Vita has it and its one of the best thing about the console. You can just pause your game and shut it down with one button, then minutes, hours or even days later one button press will restart it exactly where you left off.

J Tyran:

Adam Jensen:

doggie015:
I was honestly not expecting that! GDDR5 RAM is stupidly quick! Assuming that they have a good CPU and a northbridge chip that can push such high speeds from RAM to CPU then we might actually see something that can match and possibly even BEAT a high-end PC!

Keep in mind though, all those social gimmicks like taking video footage, screenshots etc. consumes a lot of RAM. I wonder how much RAM will developers have left to use for actual games.

Wont PCs be able to catch up pretty quickly anyway? Say with 12GB or so of triple channel PC3-22400 for system memory and 4GB or more of GDDR5 on the graphics card? This stuff is already available on the market with the price almost dropping day by day.

Of course. In fact, PS4 will probably already be technically outdated on release day. But a high end PC will be a lot more expensive than PS4. I mean, really, really significantly more expensive.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-release-date-news-and-features-937822

"The PS4 will back the same CPU as the Xbox 720 but will have more powerful graphics. The beating heart of both consoles will come in the form of an AMD processor based on its forthcoming Jaguar CPU architecture. The chip packs eight cores (yay) but is clocked at a measly 1.6GHz (boooo). The main benefit of a setup like this is that the console will be very power efficient, meaning less draw and quieter operation, i.e. no need for any mahoosive, loud and invasive cooling fans."

Well I certainly won't be rushing out to buy this Killzone thing.

It looks like they're trying to cover all of the popular bases right now. Let's play uploading by pushing a button on the controller. The Vita is your "controller with touchscreen" that the WiiU has, but it's actually portable and plays its own games. It has a stereo camera that looks an awful lot like the Kinect. 8 GB ram and simpler architecture to avoid things like buggy/problematic Bethesda ports. This...looks very promising. They're definitely on the pulse of what's popular right now, and Microsoft is going to have to put up something big. Nintendo has got to be sweating right now.

EDIT: That Killzone demo was scripted as fuck. I'm not falling for the same Killzone 2 pitch all over again. If that was a game it also looked incredibly boring : )

Adam Jensen:

J Tyran:

Adam Jensen:

Wont PCs be able to catch up pretty quickly anyway? Say with 12GB or so of triple channel PC3-22400 for system memory and 4GB or more of GDDR5 on the graphics card? This stuff is already available on the market with the price almost dropping day by day.

Of course. In fact, PS4 will probably already be technically outdated on release day. But a high end PC will be a lot more expensive than PS4. I mean, really, really significantly more expensive.

This move makes a lot sense really, Nvidia graphics card having built in physx for years. Shifting most of the physics to the GPU and providing GDDR5 for it is just an evolution rather than a revolution.

So...am I the only loser who thinks that the in built ability to record, screen cap and stream games is a fucking awesome idea?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
According to Destructoid: "It will have 8GB of unified memory, a X86 CPU, 8 CPU cores, 2 teraflops computational performance, and a "Supercharged PC architecture."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_B3dvFMyDE

Seriously though, as excited as I am about these specs, I agree with you. How in the world are they going to make a profit? I guess if maybe if they think they can sell it to the PC crowd for its power, but....that seems very unlikely. I have no idea. Anyone have any clue?

I'll wait for the Durango and Steam Box announcements before i make up my mind.

Also Sony, ditch the social stuff and for god's sake focus on third party support!

erttheking:
So...am I the only loser who thinks that the in built ability to record, screen cap and stream games is a fucking awesome idea?

Not just you. They see how popular "let's plays" are and they're making it so that anybody can do it. No capture cards, editing software, just a button on the controller. They didn't develop this system in their fantasy bubble outside of the real gaming world this time, it seems.

My first impressions (from what I've read) are mildly positive. Nothing that indicates the giant bloated clusterfuck I was fearing... yet.

So far so good. What about backwards compatibility? Can I play San Andreas on it?

Adam Jensen:
8Gb of DDR5 RAM? That's INSANE!

you mean 8 gb of GDDR5 ram on the graphics card. still quite powerful but not uncommon.
the radeon hd 4870 series has GDDR5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

This sounds uber crazy. I really hope it's not $700+ dollars though.

If I'm honest, I didn't want the PS4 to come out, as I enjoyed the dominion that PC Gamers had over consoles.

Also cause I still play in 720p(1366x768) on a 400 rig.

Now the effort I had put into my PC seems a bit meaningless, since I'm 16, I don't have the funds to do anything about it.
Feels exactly like the last time this happened: my xbox became redundant and I was left behind.

"I want him alive."

It just dawned on me that next generation of hardware isn't going to do shit for the quality of the writing.

"I don't know how I'm going to follow all those explosions."

LOL you've got to love Jonathan Blow.

Vault101:

Adam Jensen:

Notsomuch:

Yeah, that's almost as good as my computer! Wait...

That's better than any computer. PC's only have DDR3 RAM. Only GPU's have DDR5 memory.

If I might ask what's the difference?

DDR5 is a kind of ram derived from DDR3 that can transfer data almost twice as fast. The improvement in performance is minimum (because ram data transfer is normally not an issue anyway), but noticable. I am assuming sony will use something along the lines of 6-7 GB DDR5 dedicated to graphics and 1-2 GB DDR3 for the OS and the rest of the shit;

Also, Adam Jensen is plain wrong. Current enthusiast cards have 4 GB DDR5, those on SLI will get the 8, 6 GB ones are almost upon us. But those are indeed decent specs, I missed the days when consoles at release could provide similar/better graphics than regular gaming PCs, and glad to see they are back.

Finally, I am glad to see Sony deciding to do a cheap development console with standarized architecture. This makes it even less appealing to me because the tech they are using is run off the mill boring, but the final experience for users and devs will be better and Sony saved a nice chunk of cash.

rhizhim:

Adam Jensen:
8Gb of DDR5 RAM? That's INSANE!

you mean 8 gb of GDDR5 ram on the graphics card. still quite powerful but not uncommon.
the radeon hd 4870 series has GDDR5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

Nope. Not GPU RAM. System RAM.

erttheking:

You are not the only loser here who thinks that. :P

But yeah, despite all these cool new ideas, I'm going to have to see what games are coming out for it first before I buy it. That and whether or not the anti- used game thing is true. As much as I love my Playstation games, I can't really support Sony if they're going to be doing that.

Jonathon Blow's on? Good now I can take a break as nothing of importance will be said

Tony:
This sounds uber crazy. I really hope it's not $700+ dollars though.

Uh, they announced way back when that it's going to cost $400 dollars

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.400423-Japanese-Newspaper-Playstation-4-Will-Have-a-400-Price-Tag

Tanakh:
[snip.

if this things more powerful than computers then I cant be smug anymore....and we cant have that XD

For the first time in a LONG WHILE, I'm actually very impressed about what Sony is doing here. Microsoft will need to come up with something big to top this.

My criticism though the system is the controller which looks god awful. That's where the new Xbox will destroy the PS at as usual, but the specs part will be interesting.

Vault101:

Tanakh:
[snip.

if this things more powerful than computers then I cant be smug anymore....and we cant have that XD

We need more detailed specs to call that, however it basically sounds like a high end AMD CPU/GPU hybrid with lots of high speed ram. A smart move on their part I must say.

Hmm...well, i'm surprised to find myself actually kinda excited about this.

The recording gameplay footage in the PS3 feature sounds awesome, and there is definitely a market out there for that. No more fiddling around with extra software and hardware, yay!

Just reading through some of the specs...i'm curious about how much this is going to cost. Sure, it might look promising, but how much is it going to have to be priced at to make a profit?

Still...I will be following this, despite the fact that I have no intentions of buying , haha

Fishcactus:
Hmm...well, i'm surprised to find myself actually kinda excited about this.

The recording gameplay footage in the PS3 feature sounds awesome, and there is definitely a market out there for that. No more fiddling around with extra software and hardware, yay!

Just reading through some of the specs...i'm curious about how much this is going to cost. Sure, it might look promising, but how much is it going to have to be priced at to make a profit?

Still...I will be following this, despite the fact that I have no intentions of buying , haha

Well they say that it'll only be $400. Nice compared to the PS3's $600

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.400423-Japanese-Newspaper-Playstation-4-Will-Have-a-400-Price-Tag

erttheking:

Fishcactus:
Snip

Well they say that it'll only be $400. Nice compared to the PS3's $600

Ahh, thanks for the link, I must have missed that. I guess Sony have learned their lesson then, if it's turns out to be true.

RicoADF:

Vault101:

Tanakh:
[snip.

We need more detailed specs to call that, however it basically sounds like a high end AMD CPU/GPU hybrid with lots of high speed ram. A smart move on their part I must say.

One can also hope they will continue their open platform as far as HDD's are concerned. I've had it with proprietary hardware.

DeaDRabbiT:

RicoADF:

Vault101:

One can also hope they will continue their open platform as far as HDD's are concerned. I've had it with proprietary hardware.

Agreed, one of PS3s big plus points to me was its comparability with standard tech, no need to only get Sony headset, hard drive etc

Haven't been watching myself so... any news on backwards compatibility?

Sounds very good, I only want my retrocompatibility and they have my money

I like the idea of being able to take over a friend's game. My friend can't do the Batman fighting medals to save his life, so I end up doing them for him. Problem is, we don't end up at each other's houses all that often. This would solve that problem, assuming I understand it correctly.
Three remaining things I want to know: Price point, does my account info (trophies and such) carry over, and can I play my old games on it. And I mean, put the disc in the system and play it that way.

Two points from other articles not mentioned here that have been announced in other articles on the PS4

NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

USED GAME DETECTION

Vault101:

Tanakh:
[snip.

It has almost always been about price ranges.

The future PS4 is worse in every aspect than what you could buy right now for around 4-5 k USD, however the specs seem nice enough and it will be competitive or maybe even better than mid range gaming PCs at it's release. That was not the case with the last generation, and I am really happy about the change, if a little dissapointed at how common the system seems tech wise.

More on topic, I guess you could be smug at release towards PC, as it should be better than most non enthustiast level systems.

Edit: At $400 bucks it seems like an awesome investment as long as you don't use your computer to work.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 66590)