Sony Unveils the DualShock 4 Controller

Sony Unveils the DualShock 4 Controller

Sony has taken the wraps off the Dual Shock 4 controller and it's not too far off what we expected.

As expected, Sony's PlayStation 4 console will drop an overhauled controller into the hands of gamers that's pretty close to the rumors. The DualShock 4 will have a tighter feel that previous models, feature enhanced rumble and offer a touchpad for new input options.

In keeping with Sony's new focus on "socially enriched content," the controller will also have a "share button" as well as a headphone jack to facilitate communication between players. Perhaps even more interesting, it will also come packed with a light bar and camera system that will allow it to sense depth and position, presumably allowing for future motion control options.

More details will follow as they become available.

The headphone jack and share buttons sound awesome, but the grip seems way too big, the light bar and camera could be gimmicky, and well... that thing looks AWFUL.

share button? Headphone jack? Touchpad? Sony listen to this better idea. Get rid of that crap and you can sell it for cheaper (or failing that a larger profit margin).

A touchpad? Really? Have you even been paying attention to your competition? No one likes the wii-u controller, and no one is going to like this. It's a controller. GIve it analog sticks, give it buttons, and LEAVE IT ALONE.

...don't even need a PS4 yet any-fucking-way...

ShadowKatt:
A touchpad? Really?

A touchpad is a second-rate mouse, but a thumbstick is a third-rate mouse, so I could see that as being really good for RTS and maybe even FPS.

Did they just glue buttons on a double-ended dildo?

"OH BOY! A SHARE BUTTON ON MY GAME CONTROLLER!" - Nobody, ever.

Actually, what does a 'share' button do? If it autouploads things to facebook (Or worse, a Sony social network just for the PS4) I think we can safely say it will be worse than useless. I say worse than useless because it will basically just generate massive piles of spam.

DVS BSTrD:

Gotta tap into that bi-curious soccer mom crowd, right?

They should of just made the PS3 controller bigger, more akin to the original dual shock controller so it causes less hand cramps for those of us with big hands and left it the hell alone.

Pyrian:

ShadowKatt:
A touchpad? Really?

A touchpad is a second-rate mouse, but a thumbstick is a third-rate mouse, so I could see that as being really good for RTS and maybe even FPS.

Have you ever played a FPS with a touchpad?

I've tried. I've watched other people do it. Granted, there are some people that do AMAZING with them. Three fingers, two on the buttons and one on the pad and they can pull off things that would make your mouse weep because it hasn't even dreamed of such beautiful things, but for the vast majority, that isn't the case. And RTS' don't belong on consoles. They never have. And they never will. For references, go ask Halo Wars.

I get that they want to innovate, but there's a handy saying they should remember: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Seriously, we don't want a new controller, we want backwards compatibility. Work on that, then get back to us on controller ideas.

Although I don't mind a touch screen I just hope its not required for high reaction necessary situations like say, swapping a gun during a FPS. I just hope someone at Sony has played a game on a smartphone and realized what a bad idea that can be. I get annoyed sometimes because touch screens don't always respond or work properly.

Casual Shinji:

DVS BSTrD:

Gotta tap into that bi-curious soccer mom crowd, right?

JUST a double ended dildo? HA I say HA!

What I don't get is why don't they put the touch pad on the back of the controller where a person actually has fingers free to do things like push buttons, pull triggers or maybe just maybe use a touch pad.

Another thing, after the debacle of Aliens Colonial Marines all these demos being shown ring really hollow with me right now in the sense that they aren't building any feeling of excitement or expectation for the future.

ShadowKatt:
Have you ever played a FPS with a touchpad?

Indeed. It's quite decent for aiming, annoyingly bad for turning around, pretty much the inverse of a thumbstick.

ShadowKatt:
And RTS' don't belong on consoles. They never have. And they never will.

There is no fundamental reason why RTS cannot work on consoles, and a thumbpad will go a long way towards making a control scheme more feasible - which is really the only barrier in place.

Lex Darko:
What I don't get is why don't they put the touch pad on the back of the controller where a person actually has fingers free to do things like push buttons, pull triggers or maybe just maybe use a touch pad.

Another thing, after the debacle of Aliens Colonial Marines all these demos being shown ring really hollow with me right now in the sense that they aren't building any feeling of excitement or expectation for the future.

Probably because people can't see the screen which would make things awkward.

Also *draws sword* there is only room for one Black Knight here.

Well this sounds like an abomination of a controller. It would seem Nintendo's peripheral dickery is highly infectious.

erttheking:

Lex Darko:

Well the touch pad isn't a screen so there's no need to actually see it just need to touch it.

Also "war scythe drawn" I have 15+ 100% play throughs over 500+ hours DkS experience behind my scythe so I win and expect you to be changing your avatar promptly.

Lex Darko:

erttheking:

Lex Darko:

Well the touch pad isn't a screen so there's no need to actually see it just need to touch it.

Also "war scythe drawn" I have 15+ 100% play throughs over 500+ hours DkS experience behind my scythe so I win and expect you to be changing your avatar promptly.

I guess.

Well...this will be a battle of great skill, patience and perse-LAGSTAB!

Can someone please tell me the actual and practical uses of a touchpad? Yes, I can see some gimmicky bullshit like "slide your finger to open the door". But what are some actual reasons that will make the game better? I can press X to open a door, I don't want to slide shit.

A touch screen, I can at lest sort of get behind. You see something and you touch it. But a touch pad... it's just a touchy bit of plastic on your controller. There is no visual feedback.
So, real question: What the fuck would I need a touchapd for on a console? Is it going to have a mouse cursor? Cause you may as well just drive it around with a joystick, as touchpads are just kind of shit in general.

DVS BSTrD:

Funny, that was my first thought too: ''Look, two dildos glued together!''

But seriously, I'm not too sure I'm on board with the camera/touch pad feature. Its like they're trying to combine the Move with the dualshock when 1. The Move hasn't done that well and 2. The WiiU alreadly sort of did it with not a lot of possitive feedback.

But...I'll try to remail positive because this might be my next next-gen console. Maybe. We'll see.

AC10:
Can someone please tell me the actual and practical uses of a touchpad? Yes, I can see some gimmicky bullshit like "slide your finger to open the door". But what are some actual reasons that will make the game better? I can press X to open a door, I don't want to slide shit.

A touch screen, I can at lest sort of get behind. You see something and you touch it. But a touch pad... it's just a touchy bit of plastic on your controller. There is no visual feedback.
So, real question: What the fuck would I need a touchapd for on a console? Is it going to have a mouse cursor? Cause you may as well just drive it around with a joystick, as touchpads are just kind of shit in general.

Well you could use a touch pad for virtual buttons custom to a particular game. To be honest that would be its best use, but for that I don't see why the would put the touch pad on the front of the controller instead of the back.

ShadowKatt:
A touchpad? Really? Have you even been paying attention to your competition? No one likes the wii-u controller

Judging from that fail generalization, you're the one who should pay more attention.

OT: I don't think I like having a touchpad taking the spot of the start and select buttons, and I can't imagine how beneficial it'll be for games. But this is Sony's fourth iteration of their controllers, so I'm gonna give them the benefit of a doubt.
The camera bar was most surprising for me. We're getting too many of these things.

PFFF HA HA HA HAAA! HAA HA HA! *cough* HAAAA HA HA!

All the corporate exec buzzwords and phrases... Oh my sides.

Nurb:
PFFF HA HA HA HAAA! HAA HA HA! *cough* HAAAA HA HA!

All the corporate exec buzzwords and phrases... Oh my sides.

You know, sometimes my friends and I joke about all the silly easter eggs we'll put in games when we eventually make them.

I haven't written any down yet, but I will eventually, because sometimes I'm semi-serious about it.

I could have a hidden character in a far off corner show up when he detects used games, like the ones that sometimes do in pirated games, and yell at the player for their disloyalty... then laugh, and say "just kidding, thank you for expressing interest in our work, enjoy yourself".

Okay I suppose this is going to sound a little... well silly quite honestly, but it's still a concern for me: touchscreens do not like my long nails. I don't want to choose between gaming and keeping my hands pretty Sony, don't make me.

Also all the stuff most of y'all have already said. Well, it's barely announced yet so we know things are going to get juggled between now and release anyway.

Sony still copying Nintendo?
When Nintendo makes the Wii, Sony makes the Sixaxis. (Moar leik suxaxis lololololerskats!1!1!)
When Nintendo makes the WiiU Sony puts a touchpad in their controller.
Why didn't they copy the Gamecube, and make a controller that's comfortable to hold?

It'll be interesting to see how they use these added features, but I think it's a bad sign when those uses don't immediately jump out at me. I mean, a giant second screen with touch input on the Wii U - straight away I can think of tons of cool applications. A dinky touch pad on the front of the controller... kind of like a laptop? I... I just don't get it.

Finally! A controller big enough not to give me hand-cramps :D The old dual shock was a pretty big factor in my move to PC gaming - 360's kept dying, so I got sick of them, and I couldn't play PS3 for very long. I kind of miss consoles, in a way.

I like the look of it, finally a bit more ergonomic, a bit more comfortable looking. I look forward to trying it out.

..It looks like they were comfortably sleeping on their new cpu that 19 feb midnight, when someone there comes in with a wii u flier and was like "guys!! guys!!.... what the hell we can do now ??!!!! we are f***d !!! get an idea !!! quick!!!.......!!!" and someone taped a pad on the new bigger controller.
Most likely.

I'm not surprised by the light bar or touchpad. I assume the physical shape is a necessity or they thought it was time to rethink it (not that I've heard any actual cries for a change). Maybe if we're lucky the gaming media will STFU and not insist it's too light or something. Lord knows I need ANOTHER touch enabled controller that's really fucking awkward to weild one handed to use the touch pad.

I mean..it's just about follow the evolution. For me they can also come out with a pong potentiometer, but, I don't think it takes us to the next step. On the other hand, the share button make me think that they are now following the
social media wave, and it don't impress me in a positive way too.

AC10:
Can someone please tell me the actual and practical uses of a touchpad? ... Is it going to have a mouse cursor? Cause you may as well just drive it around with a joystick, as touchpads are just kind of shit in general.

Thumbsticks are bad at driving mouse pointers, significantly worse than touchpads (which are, in turn, not really as good as mice).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here