Blizzard Bringing Diablo III to PlayStation 3 & 4

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard Bringing Diablo III to PlayStation 3 & 4

The venerable action RPG will be playable on both the PS3 and PS4.

One of the last partners brought on stage at Sony's press conference was Blizzard Entertainment. The VP of Story and Franchise Development at Blizzard - and the creative guru in Irvine - Chris Metzen announced the Diablo III will be coming to PlayStation - not only on new PS4, but the action RPG will be available on the PS3 too.

"I'm pleased to announce that Sony and Blizzard are teaming up to take over the world," Metzen quipped.

Metzen reminded the crowd that Blizzard got its start on the consoles with Lost Vikings and the company was desperately looking for a way to break back into that lucrative market. He's confident they have figured out the perfect game to do just that ... the one released last year to resounding cries of mediocrity - Diablo III.

There's a lot to be said for a PC developer going into console games with a solid and proven franchise. Metzen said the team has figured out how to perfect the interface to work on a controller as opposed to a mouse and keyboard. He even promised a 4 player coop mode that works really well in their internal tests.

"Hope to see you all adventuring across the darkened fields of Tristram very soon," he said before taking his leave after what seemed like a very long 3 minutes devoid of any real information.

I can't say I'm very excited about this. When Metzen was announced I hoped he'd reveal a new IP like the rumored new MMO in development at Blizzard - codenamed Titan. Oh well. Diablo it is. I wonder how the real money auction house will work ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjjZGyYcH9E

Yeah that's about all I gotta say to that.

Meh sucked on PC, not much will change moving it to PS3/4

I hope not a single person buys it for either console.
Fuck Diablo III and fuck Blizzard.

Trust me, console gamers... you don't want this.

An always-online RPG through Sony's always-unreliable network!? HURRAY!

Sylveria:
An always-online RPG through Sony's always-unreliable network!? HURRAY!

This is a good point. Given the stability of PSN and the stability of Diablo 3's Battle.NET I estimate there is about a 10% chance this game will even work on any given day :P

Venerable? As in "commanding respect because of great age or impressive dignity"? How? It's less than a year old! And there's nothing dignified about it. Certainly nobody respects it. Diablo II could be said to be venerable, I think, but not Diablo III.

Abusing words is a bad thing to do and you should feel bad for doing it.

I can just hear the sales not happening.

Listen...

*Wind Rustling*

That's what it will sound like.

so the last time they made consoles games was the Snes days and then they abbandond console for PC, now decades later they claim they want to get back to their roots ? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ok Blizz if you say so lol

...So does that mean that Blizzard can finally take out the terrible DRM that they implemented into Diablo 3 on the computer versions? If not, I can only imagine the community labeling this as another reason to hate Blizzard.

I get the feeling this was more about the idea of "WE GOT BLIZZARD TO MAKE A GAME ON OUR CONSOLE!" than what the actual game was. Sorta like what Nintendo did with Arkham City. "See! We got someone who makes games you like to make a game for our system!"

Awesome, so now its the console crowds turn to be disappointed.

No seriously just wait for a possible Torchlight 2 port...I'm not kidding.

AstaresPanda:
so the last time they made consoles games was the Snes days and then they abbandond console for PC, now decades later they claim they want to get back to their roots ? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ok Blizz if you say so lol

They made more than that, Warcraft 2 on PSOne, Starcraft on n64, Diablo 1 on PSOne.

Soooo disappointing that Jay Wilson was fired...ahem...left 'voluntarily'...before this event. I would have loooved to respond to this announcement with a F#CK THAT LOSER meme.

Can I still do it? Awwww, probably not to poor Chris Metzen. Damn you, Blizzard! You win this time!

Well...except for that loser game you were just 'exploring console options' for when you changed the UI to a six-button layout...

HEY!!! WAIT JUST A GOSH DARNED MINUTE!!!!

I'd thought they'd announced this already, oh well.

But yeah, any of you console players out there reading this, you should give this a pass, go play DmC or something, it's WAY better

I swear, they're all being forced to act interested in the public when they make these calls. Jay Wilson should be doing all this since it's probably more his fault.

They waited too long if they are trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of this. Even though D3's sales were immense, I doubt they would rake in the cash this late in the cycle. Especially with how 'forgettable' the whole game was.

I was so excited when Chris Metzen showed up, and then I realized what he was going to announce.

so its this, two SC2 sequels sold on the basis of their single player story...because the first ones single player campaign was just that "set the world on fire" awesome -.- ...and titan...an "original property" from a company that basically doesn't do originality and a competitor for their own flagship product...

AstaresPanda:

I went looking for the game you're talking about and curiously, this came up:

What was the game they really made?

so, i'm guessing the catch is that you have to pay to not have the game installed on your machine

Snotnarok:

AstaresPanda:

They made more than that, Warcraft 2 on PSOne, Starcraft on n64, Diablo 1 on PSOne.

As a N64 fanboy, I really have to ask... HOW?!? How the fuck would Starcraft on N64 even be possible? The system could barely handle Turok 2, for crying out loud. Did they make it a sidescroller or some other genre-change like that?

On Topic - I wonder if the console version will use the Battlenet DRM system, seeing as how DRM is mainly a PC-thing.

I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, if Blizzard maintains the always-on DRM and battle.net interference present in the PC game, I'll pass.

However, the presenter's emphasis on providing a new mode that's intended for 4-player local co-op is like honey to my ears. I always loved the good ole 2-4 man hack-n-slash games. The last major studio release to really fill that gap for me was with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Sure, there's some smaller releases like Castle Crashers to pass the time with, but with everyone emphasizing online multiplayer, local co-op games are getting rarer and rarer.

Either way, more details and, since I'm extremely picky about putting money down for games anymore, reviews are needed before I'll get excited.

V da Mighty Taco:

Snotnarok:

AstaresPanda:

As a N64 fanboy, I really have to ask... HOW?!? How the fuck would Starcraft on N64 even be possible? The system could barely handle Turok 2, for crying out loud. Did they make it a sidescroller or some other genre-change like that?

On Topic - I wonder if the console version will use the Battlenet DRM system, seeing as how DRM is mainly a PC-thing.

Are you kidding? Starcraft even had split screen on the N64, it's not exactly the best port but there's apparently people who liked it. Personally I couldn't even get behind the 64 controller back then, drove me nuts when trying to play Conkers bad Furday. Why not have a look on youtube for Starcraft 64. I'm sure someone's got gameplay shown.

If it hasn't been clear to you that console versions are gonna be coming since before the game was even released, I don't know what you were thinking.

Easton Dark:
I can just hear the sales not happening.

Listen...

*Wind Rustling*

That's what it will sound like.

Yeah, keep dreaming. It's going to sell a lot on consoles. And console players are gonna love it, too.

AstaresPanda:

You trying to say that Blizzard somehow betrayed you by making games for the platform they worked best for?

SpaceGhost:
Soooo disappointing that Jay Wilson was fired...ahem...left 'voluntarily'...before this event. I would have loooved to respond to this announcement with a F#CK THAT LOSER meme.

Can I still do it? Awwww, probably not to poor Chris Metzen. Damn you, Blizzard! You win this time!

Poor Chris Metzen? This is the guy who's likely responsible for all the godawful storytelling in their recent games. He's a cancer on their writing team.

Hammeroj:
Poor Chris Metzen? This is the guy who's likely responsible for all the godawful storytelling in their recent games. He's a cancer on their writing team.

Maybe he is his own worst punishment. Did you think of that? Can you imagine trying to go to sleep at night knowing what you have done over the last dozen years?

Eh everyone knows they are just going to rely on fanboy sales for this.

SpaceGhost:

Hammeroj:

Maybe he is his own worst punishment. Did you think of that? Can you imagine trying to go to sleep at night knowing what you have done over the last dozen years?

I think the money he earns being a big shot at Blizzard more than makes up for any regrets he ever might have had (but probably didn't). And even then, it's not like he can't put some effort into what he's writing and make it at least bearable. He just writes shit down on a piece of toilet paper during his break from snorting coke and calls it a day.

el_kabong:
I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, if Blizzard maintains the always-on DRM and battle.net interference present in the PC game, I'll pass.

Considering how often they've gone on record saying that they had to do it to stop people from playing it wrong they have to. The amount of shit they'll cop if they give it offline will be astronomical.

Snotnarok:

V da Mighty Taco:

Snotnarok:

Are you kidding? Starcraft even had split screen on the N64, it's not exactly the best port but there's apparently people who liked it. Personally I couldn't even get behind the 64 controller back then, drove me nuts when trying to play Conkers bad Furday. Why not have a look on youtube for Starcraft 64. I'm sure someone's got gameplay shown.

I remember renting it as a kid out of sheer curiosity... it was pretty bad lol. You had to control the mouse cursor with a joystick and I don't remember there being any control groups to speak of.

Torchlight on the Xbox 360 was an absolutely excellent port. Played like a straight up Action RPG and I honestly liked the gameplay more than the PC version. This was all done by Indi developers by the way, so Blizzard will have no problem.

Diablo III will be fine on the console.

Whether a fine version of Diablo III is worth a purchase is another thing altogether though.

Hammeroj:

SpaceGhost:

Hammeroj:

I think the money he earns being a big shot at Blizzard more than makes up for any regrets he ever might have had (but probably didn't). And even then, it's not like he can't put some effort into what he's writing and make it at least bearable. He just writes shit down on a piece of toilet paper during his break from snorting coke and calls it a day.

And that's before you get around to looking at the rest of the writing team. Like the writer of the forsaken stuff..... I still avoid Hillsbrad if I can due to how disgusted I become whenever I fly through it.

OT: This must be what the smell of desperation is like. I can't imagine any other reasons for this move. It fits with everything that's been popping up about them for a while now. I do feel a bit sorry for the other console players who didn't hear about all the problems... I wonder if they'll fix any of the problems with the always online DRM for the PS3... I wonder if it'll even be playable given the always online drm.

SpaceGhost:

Hammeroj:

they say everyone has one good book in them. imo metzen has shot his load in that respect and most gamers will know which story it was...and that the later tacked on ending was shit compared to the rest of it...

i'm sure the coke and floozies keep him smiling and thinking he's a living gawd tho (and if that man isn't familiar with both i'll eat my hat...)

So blizzard kicks all their fanbase in the balls with the always online their server only unmoddable shitfest of a story. And you know what? they will bend over and pull their pants down so blizzard can kick them in the ass again so they can play offline single player. Great!

Greg Tito:
I wonder how the real money auction house will work ...

I think I can answer this one for you. The gear that drops for you will mostly be useless, although some of it you may be able to sell in the gold auction house. You'll definitely want to do this as you'll need the gold to in order to purchase at least 90% of your own upgrades required to get you past the one-shot kill walls you encounter as you progress through the difficulty levels of the game. When you've done this long enough you'll finally get to the point where the drops you find that aren't useless can be sold in the RMAH. Congratulations Traveler, you've arrived! Let the good times roll.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here