Photos: Get Up Close and Personal With the DualShock 4

Pages PREV 1 2

It looks fairly solid to be honest. I loved the classic PS2 controller back in the day, but at the time my hands were also smaller then they are now, and moving to the PS3 the classic controller was just a bit too small to be perfectly comfortable. This controller looks like it might be a bit meatier. Now the real question is how badly are developers going to mess with the touch screen and light bar functions on the thing? I absolutely hate the touch additions on the Vita most of the time, and the steering in Gravity Rush was just terrible. Not even going to get started on Dynasty Warriors Vita edition...

Al-Bundy-da-G:
Why do the handles look so freaking long? Really, it's almost ridiculous looking

Agreed. I will adapt. My favourite gamer girl won't.
This is downright detrimental to petite women and children everywhere. :(

And SHARE button. W.T.F. -_-'

SkarKrow:
It looks fine to me but seriously, no love for the bananarang Sony?

Y u no love teh fruity goodness Sony?

That was easily the worst designed controller I ever had the misfortune of using. So flimsy, weak, and not durable at all. I am glad that was scrapped.

Positive- Bigger controller would fit better in my hand, somewhat better thumbsticks (at least they are sort of concave), they are still keeping the D-Pad pure and they are concave, slight concavity to the face buttons, has the motion sensor built in

Negative- The L2/R2 buttons are still too tiny and still too close to the L1/R1 buttons, feel like my fingers would slip off or get cramped up as is now the case with my PS3 controller, still has the symetric analog sticks (prefer the 360s asymetric sticks), the handles are slightly tapered, but still look to be uniform 'cylinders' which I found to be uncomfortable after prolonged play

(incidently, my favourite PS3 controller is the Power A Pro Wireless which closely mimics the 360 controller and I own a 360 controller for my PC so my view may be a bit skewed)

No Start? No Select?

I miss the normal design already.

It doesn't look bad, though. It's just a more rounded-our version of the previous design. Without Start or Select, but with Share, Options and a seemingly unnecessary touchpad. I'll get used to it, I guess.

kiri2tsubasa:

SkarKrow:
It looks fine to me but seriously, no love for the bananarang Sony?

Y u no love teh fruity goodness Sony?

That was easily the worst designed controller I ever had the misfortune of using. So flimsy, weak, and not durable at all. I am glad that was scrapped.

I never got to even try it ):

I heard it was designed so that if you got raged off and threw it across the room it just flew right back?

Looks alright to me let's just hope it doesn't feel as flimsy as the ps3 pad did to me. For all of microsofts screw up's the 360 pad wasn't one of them.

For the love of .... People, the share button is a button. You don't HAVE to press it -_-.

According to their presentation, however, tapping it pauses the game and allows you to share a screenshot or a short video of gameplay, as well as other things. Share is more about sharing media (pictures, video) than it is about twittering, although that will undoubtedly be in there.

As for the light, it's not a move thing, afaik. They said they replaced the PS3 tiny red light indicators with a larger colored block to indicate which player is which, because it's easier to spot at a glance than checking what tiny red light you are.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic thusfar, but as usual we'll have to wait and see what actually happens, because a promise is just words.

Having watched the live stream last night and seeing a good deal of the controller I just hope 2 things

The price isn't astronomical (daulshock three controllers still go for 35 on the high street and 3rd party are awfull piles of garbage for sony)the only reason I have 2 controllers is because my madcatz controller broke in a matter of 3 seconds and my friends felt bad so birthday gift... from 4 friends chipping in

No gimmicks just added extras with the touch pad

During the U4 test they showed how it could be used to pan a cinematic which was cool, and i could see navigation options being quite nice with a touchpad (that in the DEVs hand looked about half the area of the vita's touch pad which is PLENTY to do little things) but i really don't want to be in a tense moment in second son or be blind sided in killzone when a big quicktime event with a big finger swipping in air cuts the tension with a chainsaw to indicate i have to do something like the early days of the ps3 with the sixaxis trying to get chimera off by flailing my wrist up and down...

Can't wait to have it 'in hand' and get used to it (I remember having a tantrum as a kid when the daulshock 1 came out and I couldn't get used to the analogues being there) people adjust real easy when they have a tactile experience.

This thread. Is full. Of WHINERS. People, if you don't like the share button DO NOT PRESS IT.

The controller looks fine to me, I've always liked the PS controller and this one seems to adress the problems that some people had with it while still making it familiar and enjoyable for the die hard Playstaion fans.

Athildur:
For the love of .... People, the share button is a button. You don't HAVE to press it -_-.

According to their presentation, however, tapping it pauses the game and allows you to share a screenshot or a short video of gameplay, as well as other things. Share is more about sharing media (pictures, video) than it is about twittering, although that will undoubtedly be in there.

As for the light, it's not a move thing, afaik. They said they replaced the PS3 tiny red light indicators with a larger colored block to indicate which player is which, because it's easier to spot at a glance than checking what tiny red light you are.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic thusfar, but as usual we'll have to wait and see what actually happens, because a promise is just words.

I completely agree with you on all points but I also think with them mentioning the ps4's "kinect-esqu" peripheral tracking the position of the controller they may have some kind of smart split-screen capability I.E. me and my girlfriend playing a splitscreen game i'm blue and she's pink (i'm guessing with the whole section of "it's personalised" being shoehorned in the colour will be your favourite colour as chosen) and if she is on the left of me she will get the left side of the screen

and it could possibly make any six-axis abilities more accurate as an extra possibility

I think it looks really nice and comfortable, at least compared to the PS3 controller.
I mean, come on people. everyone keeps complaining about how the handles should have been larger and more ergonomic and how analog sticks should have been concave on the PS3, and when Sony actually listens to user feedback for a change and does JUST THAT with the PS4, people keep on complaining for no apparent reason. Where is all this hate coming from?

Does it come with an option to have the controller without the obnoxious "rumblepack" feature adding a kilo to this thing's weight? if I were going to buy a PS4, that'd be a necessary option for me.

The "Share" button makes me vomit in my mouth a little. It makes me immediately think of Facebook games... having a dedicated button for it does not strike the right chord with me.

If that Share button ever gets pressed by me, the console will be off anyway =P It's like the Insert key of the keyboard. They may as well have made it a self-destruct button.

The grip on the handles looks nice. Though I'm unsure on the touch pad and the shoulder buttons. Obviously I'd like to get my hands on it before I judge it.

So the 'Start' and 'Select' button got axed for a 'Share' button?

I mean, I never was too big on the Playstation's controllers, but really Sony?

That's getting re-designed at least twice before the PS4s inevitably greatly delayed launch.

Only a share and an options button? That does't look good for games that need Start and Select.

Colt47:
It looks fairly solid to be honest. I loved the classic PS2 controller back in the day, but at the time my hands were also smaller then they are now, and moving to the PS3 the classic controller was just a bit too small to be perfectly comfortable. This controller looks like it might be a bit meatier. Now the real question is how badly are developers going to mess with the touch screen and light bar functions on the thing? I absolutely hate the touch additions on the Vita most of the time, and the steering in Gravity Rush was just terrible. Not even going to get started on Dynasty Warriors Vita edition...

They'll probably (hopefully) only mess with it for the first few games, like with the terrible sixaxxis elements in Uncharted 1 and Heavenly sword. Then hopefully developers'll get bored of it. Touchpads on controllers just slow games down usually, you have to take your hand off the real controlls to swipe at it.

Looks a bit... chunky and messy. Don't like the little black screen. Hopefully they'll have some old style controllers with it too.

TheMadDoctorsCat:
Does it come with an option to have the controller without the obnoxious "rumblepack" feature adding a kilo to this thing's weight? if I were going to buy a PS4, that'd be a necessary option for me.

You know how to use a screwdriver, right?
Unwind the screws, crack the thing open (if neccessary), pull the motors out and enjoy your lightweight controller.

EeveeElectro:
Looks a bit... chunky and messy. Don't like the little black screen. Hopefully they'll have some old style controllers with it too.

It's not a screen... touchscreens are always glossy. This thing is what people call a touchpad. It's a mouse replacement.

F'Angus:
Only a share and an options button? That does't look good for games that need Start and Select.

They might be just renamed "Start" and "Select". The "Options"-button could be just a new name for the "Start" button, same for "Share" and select. OR the Touchpad could do the duties of select for games needing the select-button.

Matthi205:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

You know how to use a screwdriver, right?
Unwind the screws, crack the thing open (if neccessary), pull the motors out and enjoy your lightweight controller.

Gotta admit, that would do it... Would still prefer the option to have it without, though. I guess if you buy a console, you have to be not "big" on options.

MrHide-Patten:

The sticks and the directional buttons are in the right place... Its a controller, not a car, cant fuck it up too hard unless your Nintendo.
People bemone and bitch about everything these days, frankly if the 'Move' light lets me run and gun like I can in infamous 2 then ill happily see it included (so long as it turns off when not in use, reflective screens and all that).

I'm not even sure if you're serious at this point, considering one of the big gripes about the PSP was that Sony could and DID "fuck it up too hard."

And why did you just bring up "bemoaning" when you appear to be bemoaning the Kinect, and now Nintendo?

I've been doing some cross-comparing, and this new controller is starting to look a whole lot like the 360 one. Same grips same, trigger layout (albeit the PS ones having a slightly odd angle). The only major differences are the left stick's location (though that's a given) and the screen/sensor combo in the centre.

I am wondering where in the heck the pause button is though.....

Mumorpuger:
The "Share" button makes me vomit in my mouth a little. It makes me immediately think of Facebook games... having a dedicated button for it does not strike the right chord with me.

What... Share means you can - upload your gameplay to Youtube, take screenshots, or start livestreaming...

How the heck does that include Facebook?

I think people are REALLY REALLY overreacting to something that isn't a big problem at all...

Korten12:

Mumorpuger:

What... Share means you can - upload your gameplay to Youtube, take screenshots, or start livestreaming...

How the heck does that include Facebook?

I think people are REALLY REALLY overreacting to something that isn't a big problem at all...

Because of word association. Because of the saturation of social networks words such as "share" and "like" immediately bring to mind things like Twitter, Facebook, Farmville, etc when used on their own, which is exactly what happened when I see the "Share" button on the controller.

Zachary Amaranth:

MrHide-Patten:

The sticks and the directional buttons are in the right place... Its a controller, not a car, cant fuck it up too hard unless your Nido.
People bemone and bitch about everything these days, frankly if the 'Move' light lets me run and gun like I can in infamous 2 then ill happily see it included (so long as it turns off when not in use, reflective screens and all that).

I'm not even sure if you're serious at this poinIt, considering one of the big gripes about the PSP was that Sony could and DID "fuck it up too hard."

And why did you just bring up "bemoaning" when you appear to be bemoaning the Kinect, and now Nintendo?

I am serious you little id, the sticks and all the buttons (save for start and the other one) are in the right place. If I could pick one up I wouldnt have to competely relearn how to use it, its a change but the wheel is still a circle.

I consider bemoaning to be a position of one of care, as in you are invested in something, then it changes, everybody has a sook and a little tanty and has to suck it the up and get over it. My position is one of observation, I have no investment in Microsoft or Nintendo hence I dont give a shit, merely pointing out when it comes to consoles and peripheral crap Sony's is the least intrusive. I'll admit im a bit weary of the touch screen though because you can't get a feel for the 'buttons' on screen, but that aside Im not going to get all butthurt about it, but judging by your choice of words, you are.

Also im a sucker for IRONY, LOL.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or