PSN Games Won't Transfer to PS4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

prophet0607:

Capitano Segnaposto:

kiri2tsubasa:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.

Same here. I don't know why people complain a lot about these things. My Question is, "Will my Trophies/Account carry over?"

We'll you're 100% in the minority. You're trying to protect your virtual achievements and your account (I can understand the account bit). Most people don't care about trophies. What they do care about is their own financial investments in games that they've bought. I buy a game for the PS3, I still want to play it for years and years.
Who wants to keep their PS3 when buying a PS4? That's stupid. The PS4 will clearly be able to run PS3 games (gameplay wise), they've announced the streaming service where you'll be able to stream PS3 games. A lot of people bought a lot of games on the PSN, and they shouldn't lose them. I can understand not being able to play PS3 games (as in to run off of disks). The consoles are too different and I accept that. But digital downloads are different.

What, so you just sell your old consoles as soon as the new ones come out? That is stupid. Do you also sell books that you love when you finish them? What about Music?

I know I am not in the Minority as the games I bought will always be on that console. I can go back to play them at anytime. You aren't going to lose those games you bought, why would you? You just have to play on the console you bought those games for. I don't see why that is such a hard concept for people, like you, to grasp.

kiri2tsubasa:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.

Not all of us have hyper-cubes on our TV sets with which to store mountains upon mountains of outdated hardware just so we can enjoy our favorite old games.

Hell, even NINTENDO, notorious for a perceived disconnect with the "hardcore" crowd got this right; clunky though their system transfer may be.

Capitano Segnaposto:

What, so you just sell your old consoles as soon as the new ones come out? That is stupid. Do you also sell books that you love when you finish them? What about Music?

I know I am not in the Minority as the games I bought will always be on that console. I can go back to play them at anytime. You aren't going to lose those games you bought, why would you? You just have to play on the console you bought those games for. I don't see why that is such a hard concept for people, like you, to grasp.

While no one here has any concrete statistics, clearly, I'd estimate that you *are* in the minority.

The book/music comparison is a weak one, because those don't take up much space, and themselves aren't media platforms, they're media itself.

A more apt comparison would be a music player, like an ipod. Generally, when a new ipod comes out, it can play all your old songs. You don't need to switch to your old ipod just to hear the songs you bought last year. It's the same concept. why should we have to clutter our TVs with all these plastic boxes to play old software? I only have so much shelf space, and I'll be damned if I have to wrench out my tv to rearrange wires every time I want to play Little Big Planet. I can probably deal with it this generation, but if the trend continues I won't be able to for the next.

It's a principal of convenience, something Sony's development team seems to have deemed not worth the cost, around the PS3's 2nd iteration.

And I find myself thinking "When Nintendo gets it right and you don't, you know you messed up..."

Lets see...

No backwards compatability

Boring as hell games(seriously, Destiny looks like another bland generic FPS to me)

No playing games from PSN.

Makes it very hard to get games from the PS1 days that port to the PSP(seriously, SCEA is the only company that pulls this crap in the industry)

Didn't get that $10 voucher for being a "loyal" customer despite the fact that I've bought quite a lot for my PS3 and have games up the wazoo on my PSN.

Never gotton a beta invite to any game

Looks like I'm not getting a PS4.

My ps3 still works so ill live. I just hope psn plus hooks me up with a hearty ps4 instant game collection around launch and continues to treat me as they did with ps3's premium offerings.

Well that's the news I was waiting for. It at least means I won't be an early adopter. If they don't give the option to play the old games I got on PSN then I may just skip this console generation and stick with the PC.

Innegativeion:

kiri2tsubasa:

Not all of us have hyper-cubes on our TV sets with which to store mountains upon mountains of outdated hardware just so we can enjoy our favorite old games.

Hell, even NINTENDO, notorious for a perceived disconnect with the "hardcore" crowd got this right; clunky though their system transfer may be.

I don't either. All I do is simply unplug the console and move it to say the top of my dresser on the other side of my room and put the other console on the TV Dinner tray that I have for my system.

I hope that the following image can better explain what I mean better then words.

Whoa, what was that? The sound of the PS4 crashing at launch because whyyyyyyyy

Zombie_Moogle:

kiri2tsubasa:

I heard this a lot when the PS3 dropped backward compatibility, & it's a valid argument. A lot of people would agree, but a lot of other people are gonna have a problem with losing all the digitally distributed games & content they've amassed; if Sony is smart, they'll keep PS3/PSN support a priority until they can establish some kind of virtual console set-up. If not, I don't see a lot of people making the switch any time soon

Well digital distribution is mastered by Steam so all digital systems will be compared to that. I don't care so much on my PlayStation but if I can't play my arcade games on the new Xbox, it will be a long time before I would consider getting a new console, and it would guarantee that I would never buy any digital content on that platform again.

"Eventually, some PS3 titles will make the jump, but only ones that the PS4 can emulate without radically overstretching its processor."

This is worrying, considering there are already functional PC emulators out there for PS3, this means either PS4 is not very powerful or Sony is telling some major porkies

This is inexcusable considering the number of PSN games that are just emulations to PS3 you just need to emulate to PS4 instead.

Also, what kind of price are we paying for a game that will start with NO back catalogue, not even PSN games?!?!

This is kinda an issue since it seems incredibly stupid for Sony to do this, but not an issue really for me since I have one PS3 for disc games and another for downloadable games.
Yes, I have two PS3's for 2 different types of games.

On the one hand backwards compatibility is nice and always useful as a space saving measure but on the other at least there not promising something now which they later remove or never add which I think they want to avoid after having to remove the ps3's backwards compatibility and the fuss that would cause as everyone rages over it's loss, best to take the PR hit so no one has any false ideas but still non-ps3 PSN games should be a priority transfer.

kiri2tsubasa:

Dude, must be nice to be made of money. I for one, won't be buying a PS4 unless it is fully BC with the PS3 at a minimum.

mattttherman3:
So if I buy a game on PSN right now, and in about 3 years when my ps3 stops working, I would have to repurchase a DIGITAL copy? Fuck off lol

Repurchase a digital copy or replace your PS3. THough if you want to keep playing any of your PS3 games, you'll need to replace your PS3.

The Wii-U may not be a be a technical power-house and it needs games, but god damn did they nail how you do a next gen console right.

lazarus990:

kiri2tsubasa:

Dude, must be nice to be made of money. I for one, won't be buying a PS4 unless it is fully BC with the PS3 at a minimum.

Get used to disappointment then. The hardware architecture is completely different between the PS2, PS3 and PS4. None of them are gonna play nice with each other, which is why streaming was their only option.

BTW, if the next Xbox is also X86 architecture, they'll have the same issue, so don't expect the 720 to be your saving grace. If BC is something you absolutely need for consoles, the coming generation will probably suck for you.

Capitano Segnaposto:

prophet0607:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Same here. I don't know why people complain a lot about these things. My Question is, "Will my Trophies/Account carry over?"

We'll you're 100% in the minority. You're trying to protect your virtual achievements and your account (I can understand the account bit). Most people don't care about trophies. What they do care about is their own financial investments in games that they've bought. I buy a game for the PS3, I still want to play it for years and years.
Who wants to keep their PS3 when buying a PS4? That's stupid. The PS4 will clearly be able to run PS3 games (gameplay wise), they've announced the streaming service where you'll be able to stream PS3 games. A lot of people bought a lot of games on the PSN, and they shouldn't lose them. I can understand not being able to play PS3 games (as in to run off of disks). The consoles are too different and I accept that. But digital downloads are different.

Consoles break and die eventually, if backwards comparability doesn't exist then when the consoles die off so do your games. Sony needs to offer a version with backwards comparability for those willing to spend the extra $$. Also for some space is an issue, they may not have the room.

RicoADF:

Capitano Segnaposto:

prophet0607:

Consoles break and die eventually, if backwards comparability doesn't exist then when the consoles die off so do your games. Sony needs to offer a version with backwards comparability for those willing to spend the extra $$. Also for some space is an issue, they may not have the room.

That is why Ottoman's exist! I have like two of them in my Dorm room. Don't take up room at all as they are both shoved under my bed. (My Dorm room is only about 8x8 with two people livin' in it!). Yet I have all my games and consoles (about 500 games, 20 consoles) in both of them. Not to mention the one or two consoles I have out now and my computer that is on my desk.

If I can live in a tiny closet with all my games (I am a huge collector), then most normal people should be able to find room for the three or so old consoles and the 30 or so games they have for them.

As for the dieing: My Atari 2600 and NES would like to speak with you. Both work perfectly fine.

Capitano Segnaposto:

RicoADF:

Capitano Segnaposto:

That is why Ottoman's exist! I have like two of them in my Dorm room. Don't take up room at all as they are both shoved under my bed. (My Dorm room is only about 8x8 with two people livin' in it!). Yet I have all my games and consoles (about 500 games, 20 consoles) in both of them. Not to mention the one or two consoles I have out now and my computer that is on my desk.

If I can live in a tiny closet with all my games (I am a huge collector), then most normal people should be able to find room for the three or so old consoles and the 30 or so games they have for them.

As for the dieing: My Atari 2600 and NES would like to speak with you. Both work perfectly fine.

Older consoles are more reliable than the newer models, ironically while I probably will still have my on launch day PS3 running for a long time it will need service sooner or later.
What's an ottoman?

i still will have my PS3 for all my PS3 needs. i buy new console to play NEW games.

RicoADF:

Capitano Segnaposto:

RicoADF:

Older consoles are more reliable than the newer models, ironically while I probably will still have my on launch day PS3 running for a long time it will need service sooner or later.
What's an ottoman?

I still have a first generation Xbox 360. Never had a RRoD. Unless I am just incredibly lucky, as long as you keep care of your electronics, they shouldn't fall apart.

Also an ottoman is basically a hollow piece of furniture that you can store things in. You can have a nice "couch" that is actually hollow, supported by a steel frame and hide all your things in it. Most are just small benches or foot-rests. You can get some ottoman's designed for games in particular as well. I suggest buying them if you have a small house/room and want the most functionality.

No big deal, I'll just keep my PS3 with whatever games I have on it.

Same as I have my PSX, PS2 and PS3 under my telly. Its crowded sure, but it adds to the "blokeyness" of my flat.

Capitano Segnaposto:

RicoADF:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Think they can come give a pep talk to my NES which hasn't worked in over 15 years, or my PS2 which stutters and skips during loading anything?

You know I find your side funny. No one bitches about cameras being in phones saying you can just carry a digital camera as well. I've never heard anyone completely denounce the universal remote, or compain about any tablet feature replacing some other gadget. Did people bitch about people that couldn't carry CDs with them when MP3 players and i-pods came out? Why are videogames subject to this lack of respect for those that want the convience of a single device?

Good news for me is I can save some money at the hollidays on this.

Redd the Sock:

Capitano Segnaposto:

RicoADF:

Think they can come give a pep talk to my NES which hasn't worked in over 15 years, or my PS2 which stutters and skips during loading anything?

You know I find your side funny. No one bitches about cameras being in phones saying you can just carry a digital camera as well. I've never heard anyone completely denounce the universal remote, or compain about any tablet feature replacing some other gadget. Did people bitch about people that couldn't carry CDs with them when MP3 players and i-pods came out? Why are videogames subject to this lack of respect for those that want the convience of a single device?

Good news for me is I can save some money at the hollidays on this.

If they don't work, then I assume you didn't take care of them? I had both of my consoles since I was 3 years old. That was over 16 years ago. Hell, the Atari 2600 was originally my father's that he bought on the day it released. Still works perfectly.

Capitano Segnaposto:

RicoADF:

Capitano Segnaposto:

What's an ottoman?

I still have a first generation Xbox 360. Never had a RRoD. Unless I am just incredibly lucky, as long as you keep care of your electronics, they shouldn't fall apart.

Also an ottoman is basically a hollow piece of furniture that you can store things in. You can have a nice "couch" that is actually hollow, supported by a steel frame and hide all your things in it. Most are just small benches or foot-rests. You can get some ottoman's designed for games in particular as well. I suggest buying them if you have a small house/room and want the most functionality.

You got lucky with the 360, considering the statistics. I still have my PS2 and will keep my launch day no issues as of yet 3, and no space isn't an issue for me (my bedroom is the size of 2 rooms), but for others it is.

Ah yes I know what u mean (regarding the ottoman.

prophet0607:

I think this is the generation where I leave the consoles. I've been trying to hang on to my 360 and my Wii but I just can't gather much enthusiasm for the PS4 or Wii U. Sure the games look good, but the companies are throwing away their player base by not transferring digital purchases/inviting people to buy them again (I'm looking at you Wii U virtual console) while digital downloads are a huge part of this past generation.

... Uhhhh... You can Transfer stuff from the Wii to the WiiU... You don't have to re-buy those.

Innegativeion:

While no one here has any concrete statistics, clearly, I'd estimate that you *are* in the minority.

The book/music comparison is a weak one, because those don't take up much space, and themselves aren't media platforms, they're media itself.

A more apt comparison would be a music player, like an ipod. Generally, when a new ipod comes out, it can play all your old songs. You don't need to switch to your old ipod just to hear the songs you bought last year. It's the same concept. why should we have to clutter our TVs with all these plastic boxes to play old software? I only have so much shelf space, and I'll be damned if I have to wrench out my tv to rearrange wires every time I want to play Little Big Planet. I can probably deal with it this generation, but if the trend continues I won't be able to for the next.

It's a principal of convenience, something Sony's development team seems to have deemed not worth the cost, around the PS3's 2nd iteration.

Thing is even a Blu-ray player can play DVDs easy enough. If they were switching up to a different format it might be understandable (switching from cartridges to CD was HUGE in gaming), but nothing has changed. There is NO WAY they couldn't find a way to emulate stuff? Really? Even the Wii U has a Wii emulator.

kiri2tsubasa:

Yeah, and I'm buying a Wii-U for Wii-U games, but at least I can still play my Wii games while I wait for more good ones to come out. No backwards compatibility might not hurt in the long run (since anyone who wants a PS3 is going to buy one), but it's definitely gonna hurt for day one sales. Plenty of people who would have bought it day one are going to hold-off until there are more good games available. Having to go from a library of a dozen (or dozens of) games down to just one or two is kind of a big hit, and not everyone has the room that they can have both the PS3 and PS4 hooked-up at once.

Kmadden2004:
Okay, I know I'm not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination, but surely if the PS4 is as incredibly powerful as Sony want us to believe, then why would it be "over stretching" the machine's processor to play older games? I mean, seriously, if the Wii-U can do it, why not the PS4?

And where does this leave certain next-gen titles like (if the rumours are to be believed about it being next-gen) Dragon Age 3, where you really need to import old PS3 save files to get the most out of the game?

Think of it this way: You basically have to program an entire computer... into your computer.

This won't be an issue for a higher-end computer, but since your computer needs to process itself AND another computer, it can mean that your computer can have a hard time running a game even when its specs should blow the game out of the water. Not to mention things like the other guy mentioned where the emulator might not work quite perfectly. As someone who played Daggerfall through DOSBox, I can tell you that it took a lot of tweaking to get running just right.

So with that in mind, it isn't hard to see why it might be difficult to run PS3 games on the PS4, since the PS4 will have to run itself AND the coding for and entire PS3 (or as much of it as they need to program in) for the game to work.

Treblaine:
"Eventually, some PS3 titles will make the jump, but only ones that the PS4 can emulate without radically overstretching its processor."

This is worrying, considering there are already functional PC emulators out there for PS3, this means either PS4 is not very powerful or Sony is telling some major porkies

This is inexcusable considering the number of PSN games that are just emulations to PS3 you just need to emulate to PS4 instead.

Also, what kind of price are we paying for a game that will start with NO back catalogue, not even PSN games?!?!

Well since the PS4 is not backwards compatible it makes sense for PSN games to not work on it. All of those games were designed for the ps3. They wont just magically start working on the ps4 since it is basically a new format. Its the same reason why your ps3 games dont work on the 360.

Sure they could use an emulator but those are buggy as all hell and never work with every single game. They are also not going to just port every game on the psn over because the vast majority of those games are not theirs.

Aiddon:

Innegativeion:

Thing is even a Blu-ray player can play DVDs easy enough. If they were switching up to a different format it might be understandable (switching from cartridges to CD was HUGE in gaming), but nothing has changed. There is NO WAY they couldn't find a way to emulate stuff? Really? Even the Wii U has a Wii emulator.

Actually massive things have changed. The basic way the new PS4 works is far different from the PS3. The PS3 tried some experimental new technology that was the reason why developers hated to code for it. The new ps4 uses a more standard system. The only way they could get ps3 emulation on the ps4 would be to put a ps3 cell processor in there and intergrate it into the system. Not only would that be more expensive for Sony to develop, but it would also drive up the cost of the console by a lot.

The other way would be to make a ps3 emulator inside the ps4, but considering high end PC's have a hard time running a ps3 emulator smoothly the ps4 wouldn't stand a chance. Nintendo has been very constant with their technology and they're a generation behind when looking at technological capabilities so they can do this easily. Not Sony.

I really don't think going through all of this trouble for a bit of convenience is worth it.

Yeah because I have a ton of money to spend on new games and another giant black box. Its a shame cause I really REALLY wanted backwards compatibility.
Oh well, I bet Sony really REALLY wanted me to buy their PS4... both our dreams will be crushed.

At least my little sister just got a WiiU. Now that THAT is how you do next gen. I literally started crying when the darn thing played my old copy of No More Heroes. Thanks Nintendo.

Oh joy. More lost in the next 'great leap'. Some of the bullshit the industry throws out is just ridiculously irritating. :(

Different architecture does not allow easy transfer. This is good, because it means that PS4 architecture is different, which likely means its no longer "AWful" that we had before.

dragongit:
you'd think that a PC could play old PC games without issue, concidering the requirements from the past are significaly less then they are today. but try to load up an old game without proper emulation will either result in the game not functioning, or a crash. Just because the hardware is more powerful doesn't mean it'll run everything smoothly. Sometimes a machine can be too powerful and overclock settings into an unplayable state. The story is that some titles from the PSN won't be playable "right away" meaning that they are focusing on making sure the launch games arn't buggy and laggy, while saving their "longer lasting" classic titles for another day, when they've ironed out internal emulation.

you can. i isntalled and booted up a 1995 game, multiple of them, with ease. all i had to do is check a few boxes in shortcuts properties and windows does the rest. the only game i had problem was Scarface (and its not that old) because the graphic card no longer supported Pixel Shader of old age.

Little Gray:

Treblaine:

Well since the PS4 is not backwards compatible it makes sense for PSN games to not work on it. All of those games were designed for the ps3. They wont just magically start working on the ps4 since it is basically a new format. Its the same reason why your ps3 games dont work on the 360.

Sure they could use an emulator but those are buggy as all hell and never work with every single game. They are also not going to just port every game on the psn over because the vast majority of those games are not theirs.

Well since the PS4 is not backwards compatible

That's starting from a wrong principal.

The fact is in MANY ASPECTS the PS4 should be backwards compatible. You can't just blindly accept Sony's declaration that "PS4 is not backwards compatible".

Many of the games on PSN were not designed for PS3, they were designed for PS1, PS2, and PSP and a simple emulation profile is stuck on top. It just needs a PS4 version of the emulator instead.

And PS4 should be powerful enough to emulate PS3 games, as gaming PCs can today.

Emulators made by fans who do not have access to source code nor huge budgets actually work extremely well.

The problem with all this is it totally ruins transition from PS3 to PS4.

The mild "shitstorm" going on in this topic is what ran through my mind when they announced their cpu architecture the other day...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here