PS4 May Not Block Pre-Owned Games After All

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PS4 May Not Block Pre-Owned Games After All

A Sony source has stated that the previously discovered "anti-used game" patent has nothing to do with the PS4.

Contrary to an anti-used game patent discovered some time ago, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida seems to have told Eurogamer that the PS4 will not block pre-owned games. When asked outright if they will stop people from re-selling PS4 games, after his PR advisor failed to give a clear answer, Yoshida interjected with "So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

Yoshida was also asked if he agreed that buying a disc comes with a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from, meaning that you retain some of its value and can pass it on as you see fit. He said, "Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers. They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation," an answer that seemed to sidestep the question being asked.

A Sony source elsewhere said that the aforementioned patent is actually completely unrelated to the PS4. The patent is for a new kind of technology that utilizes a contactless tag branded on to game discs, which could bind them to your console and prevent the game from being played on any other machine.

GameStop, one of the biggest games retailers in the US, warned that gamers won't buy consoles without used games in the wake of rumors that Sony and Microsoft's next-gen consoles would block the use of pre-owned games. "Consumers want the ability to play pre-owned games, they want portability in their games; they want to play physical games," said GameStop's Chief Financial Officer, Rob Lloyd, a statement that Yoshida seems to agree with.

Microsoft's next-gen console is also rumored to have anti-used games technology. Microsoft has not come out to confirm or deny this as of yet. It looks like we will have to wait until this year's E3, when it is speculated that Microsoft will unveil its new console.

Source: Eurogamer

This is a good sign. Let us hope they've realized how big a mistake blocking used games would be.

Yea they would be shooting themselves in the foot. If they did incorperate anti used games tech, all Microsoft would need to do to "win" the console generation would be to not to it.

Well alright.
I suppose that rules mandatory always-online out as well?

What about ps2 backwards compatibility then?
Surely, their fabled new machine carved out of the bones of baby jesus, made to change the definition of gaming has more than enough juice to soft emulate a 13 year old console.

Hm, Sony is winning me back now. This was going to be a major deterent for me when buying the next one. Now all they need to do is integrate a way to transfer your PSN account and then I'm sold on it.

Well it makes sense. The rumor is that the new Xbox will use bluray technology now. If true, whats to stop someone from interchanging the games between systems? Someone who knows how to code can put in a few changes and get the buttons right, and there you go. Exclusivity would lose, people would be able to play Halo on the PS4 and Last of Us on the Xbox. They'd have to create some kind of code or program to prevent this, which when worded right it can sound like anti-used game mechanics from both companies.

Though honestly, I'd rather these companies give up on exclusivity and allow consumers to be able to use all games on all systems. Most games are released on all systems anyways. If both the new Xbox and the PS4 are using bluray, they're just being petty, greedy corporations now. They're hurting developers and the consumer.

It's like if bluray players had exclusive movies, in order to watch the Avengers, you'd have to buy the right bluray player. They wouldn't fly with the general market, why do we let it fly with video games?

It was never going to happen like that

They may have caught onto the Steam flex...make newish copies of games available to download on the cheap....people get accustomed to downloading...then SONY/Microsoft can just stop the good offers...

Did you see the conference they are all about the downloading and streaming of games...

loa:
Well alright.

Surely, their fabled new machine carved out of the bones of baby jesus, made to change the definition of gaming has more than enough juice to soft emulate a 13 year old console.

Nope
Apparently, it is going to stretch the processor too much because they are too different.

Neronium:
Hm, Sony is winning me back now. This was going to be a major deterent for me when buying the next one. Now all they need to do is integrate a way to transfer your PSN account and then I'm sold on it.

Yeah I imagine your account will remain identical on the PS4 as other systems, but they've already said that to begin with your stuff won't transfer over but it may be done later on.

loa:
Well alright.

Amen,dude. I don't want to have to pull out my old original PS2 just to finally finish DQ8.

Maybe sony patented it to prevent anyone using it? FOR THE GOOD OF THE ENTIRE GAMING INDUSTRY!

Doubt it, though.

Good Sony wins some brownie points for that, if I couldn't buy used games I probably wouldn't have bought a PS4.

And yet PSN games won't transfer.

Sony. Getting booted in the balls by Microsoft seems to have done you some good. Keep this up and you may find yourself with some new friends.

The blocking of pre-owned games makes very little sense from a business perspective - whilst the rewards would be great, the risks would be too high. One pointed out is that, of course, the competition just needs to permit pre-owned games for them to get a massive competitive advantage. The other is the risk of a court case in a major market that prohibits such. The possibility of it falling foul of (especially) EU consumer protection legislation would be a serious worry - all it would need would be for a judge to agree with the consumer and "bam"..your investment in the technology is down the pan, the company could end up being fined, and the benefits of a system would be very short lived

Not that it will stop publishers ramping up their own anti-used game tactics... I expect online passes will be the order of the day as well as some other unpleasant surprises.

I still think that the anti-used game tech would not be used to stop used games, but to pop up something like you may play this used game x time, and after that you must pay $5 to unlock it on your system.

Whew. With the online pass on every Sony game, I thought this rumor was actually possible. However, I'll need more than a "we wont Completely screw over renters, borrowers, and used buyers" to get me on board. That just gets it off my "not in a million years" list.

But the only thing they say that outright denies this is "So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"
WTF does that mean?
Other than that, they just said what many people want and what their expectations are.

Neronium:

This isn't Nintendo, you don't need to transfer your PSN account, you simply activate your PS4.

PirateRose:
Well it makes sense. The rumor is that the new Xbox will use bluray technology now. If true, whats to stop someone from interchanging the games between systems? Someone who knows how to code can put in a few changes and get the buttons right, and there you go. Exclusivity would lose, people would be able to play Halo on the PS4 and Last of Us on the Xbox. They'd have to create some kind of code or program to prevent this, which when worded right it can sound like anti-used game mechanics from both companies.

Just like people could interchange XBOX, XBOX 360, PS2 and Wii games because they were all on DVD?

Blu-Ray is a type of disc, not a type of format. Different formats can be applied. Take your hard drive for example, you can apply FAT, FAT32, NTSC, etc.... CD's can have a data format, music format, Playstation Format, DVD's can have a different format for movies, PS2, Wii, XBOX, X360, data and there are even Audio DVD's.

Soxafloppin:
Yea they would be shooting themselves in the foot. If they did incorperate anti used games tech, all Microsoft would need to do to "win" the console generation would be to not to it.

All Microsoft has to do now is make their console backwards compatible and they'll be assured a definate pole position.

Casual Shinji:

Soxafloppin:

All Microsoft has to do now is make their console backwards compatible and they'll be assured a definate pole position.

Microsoft, with their always online console and no used games will win if they have BC? No.

So I can't say I'm surprised, as Sony has made such strange patent claims before, and we've had similar 'scares' about such things before.

At least it's nice to have confirmation now that Sony's hardware R&D aren't a complete bunch of ass-backwards paint-eating twits.

Crono1973:

Casual Shinji:

Soxafloppin:

Microsoft, with their always online console and no used games will win if they have BC? No.

Isn't that still just a rumor? 'Cause if not, that "always online" is an immediate deal breaker for me.

PirateRose:
If true, whats to stop someone from interchanging the games between systems?

It's called architecture. If the two consoles have the same underlying architecture, then the games would work on either. If they don't, then the games won't. The disk you buy does not have the source code, it has the compiled code, written for the instruction set that exists for the processors it was compiled for. If you try to run the same game on a different architecture, at best you will be very upset with the result, at worst it just won't run.

Casual Shinji:

Crono1973:

Casual Shinji:

Isn't that still just a rumor? 'Cause if not, that "always online" is an immediate deal breaker for me.

It's still a rumor but one that Microsoft hasn't commented on so right now all we have to go on is the rumor. Yeah, if either system blocks used games or requires me to be online then it's a deal breaker. Truthfully, Microsofts commitment to advertisers already has me looking elsewhere. The PS4, while not perfect, is looking far better than the 720.

I very much doubt that the next Xbox will have anti-used game technology if the PS4 doesn't. I could have seen it happening if they both did it, but I think it's too much of a big deal for Microsoft to let it be an advantage that the PS4 has over their offering.

I'm pretty sure I called this, somewhere, once.

As much as I'm sure they'd like to, people would hate them for it, so they'd never get away with it.

T'Generalissimo:
I very much doubt that the next Xbox will have anti-used game technology if the PS4 doesn't. I could have seen it happening if they both did it, but I think it's too much of a big deal for Microsoft to let it be an advantage that the PS4 has over their offering.

Sort of like how Microsoft had the only device that locked online play and apps behind a paywall. Clearly Microsoft is afraid to do something on their own, eh?

Crono1973:

It's still a rumor but one that Microsoft hasn't commented on so right now all we have to go on is the rumor. Yeah, if either system blocks used games or requires me to be online then it's a deal breaker. Truthfully, Microsofts commitment to advertisers already has me looking elsewhere. The PS4, while not perfect, is looking far better than the 720.

All my grievances with the PS4 aside (there are many), I'm probably going to break down and get it as my go-to generation console, along with the WIIU, for no other reason than exclusives. There are almost no Microsoft exclusives left that really interest me. Most of them get a PC release anyway.

Can't say I really care. I buy all my games new, whether it be day of release or 6m-1yr down the line when they can be found for $20 off Amazon. I take a small amount of pride in having a collection of game discs with no scratches or blemishes from prior use and don't expect to change that with a new console gen.

Crono1973:

T'Generalissimo:

Sort of like how Microsoft had the only device that locked online play and apps behind a paywall. Clearly Microsoft is afraid to do something on their own, eh?

I'm not saying that Microsoft never does anything differently to their competitors, I'm saying that I think they will decide that doing this specific thing differently from their competitors would be a bad idea.

T'Generalissimo:

Crono1973:

T'Generalissimo:

I'm not saying that Microsoft never does anything differently to their competitors, I'm saying that I think they will decide that doing this specific thing differently from their competitors would be a bad idea.

Really? What's your reasoning for this?

Crono1973:

T'Generalissimo:

Crono1973:

Because no used games is a big deal for a not insignificant number of people (me included). Those people might be willing to suck it up and accept it if their only alternative was the Wii U (which is obviously a very different kind of console), but if the PS4 was there offering a lot of the same games but with the addition of allowing used games, the vast majority of those people would simply buy a PS4 instead of the next Xbox.

The difference with the online features thing is that online stuff didn't really get big on consoles until this generation, so most people didn't have expectation about how it should work and that it should be free, but a lot of people have expectations that they should be able to buy and sell used games. Making things tangibly and obviously worse than they used to be in the past is never a good way to attract people to stick with you.

T'Generalissimo:

Crono1973:

T'Generalissimo:

Because no used games is a big deal for a not insignificant number of people (me included). Those people might be willing to suck it up and accept it if their only alternative was the Wii U (which is obviously a very different kind of console), but if the PS4 was there offering a lot of the same games but with the addition of allowing used games, the vast majority of those people would simply buy a PS4 instead of the next Xbox.

The difference with the online features thing is that online stuff didn't really get big on consoles until this generation, so most people didn't have expectation about how it should work and that it should be free, but a lot of people have expectations that they should be able to buy and sell used games. Making things tangibly and obviously worse than they used to be in the past is never a good way to attract people to stick with you.

Ok, so your logic is that used games are a big deal and therefore they wouldn't dare go out on a limb on their own. Let's extend that logic:

So now that online stuff is a big deal and as far as we know Sony isn't charging for online play, that means Microsoft too will not charge for online play?

Major opportunity missed to mention this in the presser. It may be safe to assume that Microsoft will be following suit, since this seems to be a sort of M.A.D. issue...that is, unless Microsoft comes out and says something like, "you can't play used games, BUT new games are only $40 compared to Sony's $60!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 61069)