Irrational Announces Bioshock Infinite DLC Season Pass

Pages PREV 1 2

Isn't a season pass just a pre-order for dlc? Does this mean we can pre-order pre-orders now? How long until we have the opportunity to pre-order pre-orders for pre-ordering?

cidbahamut:

Full:

cidbahamut:
Releasing incomplete products. Ok then, watch me sit on my wallet and not give you money.

Shit like this makes it harder and harder for me to purchase games.

I don't understand people who say "not buying this because it's an incomplete product". It's not, I highly doubt they even started on this stuff yet. And if they did, they probably started just now, after they have lost access to the game itself.

If the DLC is additional levels those need to be well integrated with the rest of the game. If they're well integrated, then why weren't they part of the original design?

If the DLC is a bunch of trivial little add-ons like extra costumes or weapons then why weren't those just incorporated as unlockables?

If the DLC is a massive and comprehensive additional with sufficiently large scope that it can be tacked on afterwards as its own experience, then why wasn't it released as an expansion pack?

If there are all these additional ideas for game additions then why weren't they incorporated into the core game's design?

I could go on like this all day.

If you're planning DLC before you even release your product, that tells me that you haven't finished your product and need to get that sorted out pretty badly.

1) I'm not sure how this would work. What game are you talking about that does this? In the case of Bioshock Infinite, a level isn't in the game because it doesn't suit the story they are trying to tell. In same way that excessive scenes in film get cut for pacing reasons, if the level doesn't contribute to the flow of the story or isn't working out the way they planned, they cut it. Done. They wouldn't add that stuff back in for exactly the reason you described- it's not going to be well-integrated. They cut it for a reason.

2) I agree with this whole-heartedly. Charging for skins and guns is getting silly. However, I doubt the content of a Season Pass will just be that, and even if they are available, no one is saying you have to buy them. Do you really need "Booker's Silly Clown Outfit A!" for a complete Bioshock experience?

3) ...I really don't understand your point here. What is the difference between a really strong, independent, and large pack of DLC and an expansion pack? One is digital and the other is physical? How does that make a difference?

4) Because they didn't fit in with the game they were trying to make. The developers have limited time and resources, and they can't make everything that they come up with work or properly finished. I could come up with a great idea for a bit where you fly a biplane around shooting a giant Handyman for Bioshock Infinite, but I can't fit it in anywhere in the story being told here, and it doesn't jive with the other mechanics in play, so I leave it out. However, when the DLC train arrives, I can write a separate, independent story about a Columbian flyboy getting his chance to prove himself in his biplane and build a standalone expansion. Reminds me of things like Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption and Festival of Blood for inFamous 2.

DrunkOnEstus:
Chalk up another "get it when it's GOTY" title. How do all these games simultaneously claim that it was GOTY anyway?

Same, I loved the Fallout 3 GOTY. Anyway, the article doesn't mention PC, only PS3 and Xbox360. Kinda curious about that. How will the DLC work for PC-users and will there be a season pass for it, too? How much will it cost? Will it rely on Steam or is there a non-Steam version planned? Et cetera.

Incomer:

Mumorpuger:
The most recent Jimquisition has made me see these DLC "Season Passes" in a new light. I'm not buying into this crapshoot, especially after Bioshock 2 got a resounding "Meh" from almost everyone who played it.

Are are aware of the fact that Bioshock 2 was made by entirely different team then the original right? :)
Though I agree with your view on pre-orders and DLC. The only game I ever pre-ordered was Dragon Age 2 (insert random F... me right meme).

To be honest with you when you put something in the same series, especially as a numeric sequel, I don't really care if another team did it or not, it deserves to be slammed for not living up to the standards. Excuses after the fact are just that.

That said, I personally didn't have much problem with Bioshock 2, I actually felt some of the gameplay itself was better than the first game. My biggest issue was the writing, which seemed to be like someone read internet commentary from left wingers about how the game "zapped" conservatives/Ann Rand/etc.. and ran with that, rather than actually paying attention to what the original game was saying, what went wrong, and why things failed. When we had tapes of Ryan basically "getting his evil on" in various places I felt it was largely written by people who not only didn't get the character, but also weren't aware of why the big "Wow" moment when you meet him, figure out what's going on, and what he's all about, which arguably sold the entire game.

Speaking for myself, I think they never should have greenlit it without more review on the script and writing. But then again in today's game industry, they want to slap a franchise name onto everything they can.

Dammit one of the reasons I was getting Infinite was that I wouldn't have to deal with this BS.

I guess my money will have to go into Metro: Last Light and The Stick of Truth.

Ed130:
Dammit one of the reasons I was getting Infinite was that I wouldn't have to deal with this BS.

Stick of Truth has been delayed indefinitely :/ No release date right now. Probably while South Park Studios, Obsidian, and Ubisoft get a new contract sorted.

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

Ed130:

Stick of Truth has been delayed indefinitely :/ No release date right now. Probably while South Park Studios, Obsidian, and Ubisoft get a new contract sorted.

Bugger.

At least the Kickstarter projects I backed will be maturing soon.

It seems as though every game that looks like a first day buy, THIS will happen no matter what.

Oh well, helps save money, thanks Irrational. I'll get your game eventually if its any good.

Boy I really am starting to miss "You unlocked ____"

Phlakes:
Christ, you people will go out of your way to hate anything for any reason.

"This game sure looks good and I'm really excited for it. Oh, it has something extra that won't affect me in any way if I don't choose to involve myself? Well, I guess the entire thing sucks now."

I feel like there has to be some kind of limit. People already hate things just for existing, I don't think there's anything higher than that.

Hates is a strong word buddy.
Christ you people will go out of your way to assume we hate the game and not the pre-preordering pre-preorder DLC idea that makes no sense whatsoever.

On a non-sarcastic note, game looks fantastic, beautiful, engaging, fun ect. ect. Some of us just prefer the FULL package. We'll support Irrational, just not right now.

Therumancer:

Incomer:

Mumorpuger:
The most recent Jimquisition has made me see these DLC "Season Passes" in a new light. I'm not buying into this crapshoot, especially after Bioshock 2 got a resounding "Meh" from almost everyone who played it.

Are are aware of the fact that Bioshock 2 was made by entirely different team then the original right? :)
Though I agree with your view on pre-orders and DLC. The only game I ever pre-ordered was Dragon Age 2 (insert random F... me right meme).

To be honest with you when you put something in the same series, especially as a numeric sequel, I don't really care if another team did it or not, it deserves to be slammed for not living up to the standards. Excuses after the fact are just that.

That said, I personally didn't have much problem with Bioshock 2, I actually felt some of the gameplay itself was better than the first game. My biggest issue was the writing, which seemed to be like someone read internet commentary from left wingers about how the game "zapped" conservatives/Ann Rand/etc.. and ran with that, rather than actually paying attention to what the original game was saying, what went wrong, and why things failed. When we had tapes of Ryan basically "getting his evil on" in various places I felt it was largely written by people who not only didn't get the character, but also weren't aware of why the big "Wow" moment when you meet him, figure out what's going on, and what he's all about, which arguably sold the entire game.

Speaking for myself, I think they never should have greenlit it without more review on the script and writing. But then again in today's game industry, they want to slap a franchise name onto everything they can.

Well what can they do when the game is owned by its publisher and not the team that developed it? The team was against the two ending which were unnecessary (originally the only planned was the "good one" and I think we all can say that would be quiet enough) and they were not interested in making sequels so they didn't. Its unfair to connect them to brands rather then products don't you think? Besides if you liked Bioshock 2 why wouldn't you trust them with preorders?

Colt47:

Incomer:

Mumorpuger:

Dragon Age 2 wasn't all that bad. It primarily had issues of being too contained compared to it's predecessor, along with having been seemingly simplified for consoles.

There were so many oversights it's probably not even worth mentioning. The game was more or less unplayable on the hardest setting as it would just bore you to death at certain parts unless you chose the right "pick" of class and talents. Reused locations are just laughable and fact there are 3 (from my view point) good characters doesn't help much either. When I played the demo I though I'm in beta or alpha part of production, what a sore disappointment was the tutorial of the actual game for me xD

So we can preorder a preorder for DLC we know absolutely nothing about?

Goddamnit, quit pulling this bull.

Who really cares?

You're all complaining about this whole thing but again, it doesn't directly effect anything because you're the consumer. It's not like they are pointing a gun at your head and saying "you will not get the full experience if you don't pre-order the DLC".

I hate DLC every since Bungie changed me $10 every month to play the matchmaking gametypes my friends and I liked and we rarely saw those new Halo maps they said I just bought. I omniloathe the season pass BS everyone is vomiting out now. If I don't even know what stupid crap I'm buying, I'm gonna just just go back to playing that FF5 save I was working on. They've burned me too much with this overmarketing and inferior "products" offered through DLC. I haven't bought anything that hasn't come on a disc or from Steam sales in years because of this.

Well, just another reason why I won't buy this game until Steam has a ridiculous sale for the GOTY edition. Probably around the time Kevin Levine starts hinting at Bioshock 4, where in the 1950s you go to a moon colony that broke off from the rest of civilization.

I'm spoiled by Unreal Tournament 3 as far as maps go. There just is no beating free community map creation and sharing. Also you could pick to play the maps you purchased at the very least with bots running around.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here