Irrational Announces Bioshock Infinite DLC Season Pass

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Irrational Announces Bioshock Infinite DLC Season Pass

Pre-ordering the season pass will earn gamers in-game bonuses including weapon skins and upgrades.

With Bioshock Infinite's release finally on the horizon, its creators at Irrational Games is already making preparations to expand on the game's experience after its March 26th launch. Three add-on packs are currently in development that will expand on the game with new stories, characters, abilities and weapons. To bolster the value of this DLC Irrational, likely taking cues from other DLC launches, will be offering a season pass giving players the option to buy all of the DLC in one purchase at a discount.

The season pass will be available on the PlayStation Network for 15.99/19.99 while the Xbox Live version will sell for 1600 Microsoft Points; a discount of more than 30%. The season pass can also be pre-ordered, and buying it ahead of time comes with some added bonuses. Gamers who pre-order the season pass will gain access to the Early Bird Special Pack, a collection of upgrades, weapon skins and items that players can use in the game. These join other content like the Industrial Revolution Pack, available as a bonus for consumers that pre-order Bioshock Infinite.

While these extras will certainly be nice to have, the main source of anticipation is obviously still Bioshock Infinite itself. Originally announced in August of 2010, there was a years-long stretch where little was heard about the game and its development. Since then, delays have pushed back the game's release date on several occasions, prompting some to worry that its development might be more troubled than its developers were letting on. With a final delay moving its release to the end of March, eager fans will likely be happy just to get their hands on the game and find out if their patience has paid off.

Remember all that content they said they had to cut?

Well, now we get to have it :D

For a fee.

Pre-order DLC sight-unseen for a game that's not even been released? How far is this going to go?

Chalk up another "get it when it's GOTY" title. How do all these games simultaneously claim that it was GOTY anyway?

Novaova:
Pre-order DLC sight-unseen for a game that's not even been released? How far is this going to go?

As far as people are willing to pay.

I'm glad I canceled my pre-order. I'm still gonna buy the game. But not until I see some reviews from people I trust.

Why are we calling it pre-order and pre-pay anyway? You can't order and pay for something before you order and pay for it. It makes no sense.

The most recent Jimquisition has made me see these DLC "Season Passes" in a new light. I'm not buying into this crapshoot, especially after Bioshock 2 got a resounding "Meh" from almost everyone who played it.

Releasing incomplete products. Ok then, watch me sit on my wallet and not give you money.

Shit like this makes it harder and harder for me to purchase games.

I was concidering pre-ordering the special edition because of the artbook/sound track etc but it doesn't look that great... why do special editions suck so hard now? I LOVE art books but barely any games have them and all this pre-order stuff is getting grating. I was in Game today and the stuff's plastered all over the games themselves, the new 'Army of Two' game is basically 'Army of Two: The pre-ordered, special, download for a fee, pay right now even though the games not out yet edition'... I really didn't agree with peeps on the subject before but its getting to be a fucking joke, ooOOOooh a different shotgun, I DON'T CARE! I WANT MY GLORIOUSLY DETAILED ART BOOK!!!
imageimageimage
Dat concept development! *melts*

Oh hey look I just lost 50% of my interest in this game. Especially after they just said they cut 5 or 6 games worth of content, I mean we now have to pay for that cutting room floor scrap?

Well played PR there irrational.

*shrug*

No Day-1/Preorder DLC is actually vital to the game; I don't have to buy it, it doesn't affect me.

Still getting Bioshock Infinite.

Of course I'd rather they not do this, but business is business.

Novaova:

It's actually more like pre-order DLC sight unseen for a game that's not even been released BUT whose release has been delayed several times. Yeah, the game may end up being fine (I'm still worried about the sky-hook rail system thingy) but these do not seem like people who are necessarily on top of their game and I'd certainly question how long the "season" is for their season pass. I personally am no longer doing the whole season pass thing after being very disappointed with both Saints Row 3 and its accompanying DLC but I had a further revelation. I don't actually want most of the stuff that's offered in these pre-order or season pass or specific retailer packs. Why? Because most of the stuff is overpowered equipment that only serves to make the game easier. To that I say: no thank you.

Mumorpuger:
The most recent Jimquisition has made me see these DLC "Season Passes" in a new light. I'm not buying into this crapshoot, especially after Bioshock 2 got a resounding "Meh" from almost everyone who played it.

Are are aware of the fact that Bioshock 2 was made by entirely different team then the original right? :)
Though I agree with your view on pre-orders and DLC. The only game I ever pre-ordered was Dragon Age 2 (insert random F... me right meme).

Incomer:

Mumorpuger:

Are are aware of the fact that Bioshock 2 was made by entirely different team then the original right? :)
Though I agree with your view on pre-orders and DLC. The only game I ever pre-ordered was Dragon Age 2 (insert random F... me right meme).

Dragon Age 2 wasn't all that bad. It primarily had issues of being too contained compared to it's predecessor, along with having been seemingly simplified for consoles.

Daystar Clarion:
Remember all that content they said they had to cut?

Well, now we get to have it :D

For a fee.

Levine stated that cut content was cut because it was not suited for the finished game. They have barely started on the DLC levels.

So shelling out money for your promise that the DLC is going to be worth it?

I think not.

Colt47:

Incomer:

Mumorpuger:

Dragon Age 2 wasn't all that bad. It primarily had issues of being too contained compared to it's predecessor, along with having been seemingly simplified for consoles.

And to be fair in terms of pre-orders, at least they also released a demo with content that was actually in the damn game, unlike the current shitstorm.

But paying in advance when we barely even know what we'll be getting? For extra skins? That's not going to happen.

Let me play your game first before I decide if I want to spend more money on it.

In related news, Second Prize announces he'll wait for the GOTY edition.

I guess I'll give the season pass... a pass

I'll do what I always do with DLC nowadays, wait until it's on a 50-75% sale on steam. I still haven't bought any DLC for Skyrim, even though I loved that game, and the wait hasn't bothered me one bit.

When Fallout:NV DLCs finally came on sale, i bought them all at right away and started a new character, so I could enjoy the whole game plus extras in one fell swoop. Good times.

Pre-order a Pre-order
really?

I'm on board the anti-preorder train. Marketing is getting way too out of control with this stuff and promising quality that just isn't being delivered. I said in a previous post that currently the best a hyped up game can hope for is to simply satisfy people rather then surprise, and at worst make people hate the game rather than be indifferent about it. Pre-order marketing is even more extreme on the emotion range and it's a long range PR disaster for companies that employ it. In fact, the only reason they probably keep doing it is because they are too short sighted to see what they are doing to their image in the long range. I've been exposed to pre-order hype marketing for 5+ years and now I don't even bother looking at them anymore because they've TRAINED ME to avoid them.

cidbahamut:
Releasing incomplete products. Ok then, watch me sit on my wallet and not give you money.

I don't understand people who say "not buying this because it's an incomplete product". It's not, I highly doubt they even started on this stuff yet. And if they did, they probably started just now, after they have lost access to the game itself.

On topic: I don't care, I will probably buy this game somewhere down the road, probably when a GOTY edition comes out, since we know they might have that.

This annoying season pass trend is getting very ridiculous.

It was one thing when it was for Borderlands 2 Which was already out and has some precedent for decent dlc. Not to mention that it is a actual deal if you were planning to buy all the dlc anyway.

But this? We don't even know if Bioshock Infinite is any good yet. Let alone whether any of the future dlc isn't complete shit.

Novaova:

until we get a chance to preorder preorders:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6863-Previewed-Preordered-Prescrewed

Haha, yeah. I am buying this game but I am not prepaying for any DLC. I agree on the better weapons makes the game too easy argument. That and I want to wait and see what each DLC is about and decide what ones if any I want.

Novaova:

Just give them your money, and shut up. I think is what they are trying to say.

They're only doing this because it has proven to be wildly successful in the past with a whole heap of games, us people on forums can bitch and moan about it but it's not going to stop the masses pre-ordering their pre-orders.

I will ONLY buy that season pass AFTER all the DLC comes out and see if I want to buy all of it.
I just hope the season pass is always online, like Gears Of War's did.

Full:

cidbahamut:

I don't understand people who say "not buying this because it's an incomplete product". It's not, I highly doubt they even started on this stuff yet. And if they did, they probably started just now, after they have lost access to the game itself.

On topic: I don't care, I will probably buy this game somewhere down the road, probably when a GOTY edition comes out, since we know they might have that.

I concur heartily. How the heck does this somehow make the game "incomplete?" The game literally just went gold a few days ago. The team at Irrational probably just started the DLC now- they might have some rough sketches or something, but that's probably it.

And for those saying that they're selling the cut content, let's look at the precedent set by this series in the past. Bioshock 2 had two major non-multiplayer DLC packs- A series of "guard the Little Sister" challenge trials (meh) and an entirely new, shorter campaign that stands alone from the main story, with new characters, ideas, and themes (YAY!). That's what I'm expecting from Infinite. The cut content was probably supposed to be from the main story, so how in the world would they release that as DLC? If this game follows the example of Bioshocks past, it's going to have some exploratory elements, but be fairly linear overall, with separate "levels." They can't just insert content back into the main story- how would you go back to the point it was supposed to be and play it? That would completely kill any sense of pacing that the story contains as you make your way back through areas you've already cleared to find the new magic door that just opened. You'd more likely have to play through the game again to get back to that point. Also, they cut that content for a reason- it likely didn't work the way they planned, or it disrupted the flow of the game.

I personally find it much more likely that the DLCs will be new, original stories from different perspectives, but still set in Columbia, much like Minerva's Den. That's a prospect which I find quite exciting.

My guess is that we'll get one smaller, Protector Trials- style challenge mode thing, and and least one extra, shorter campaign where we play as a different character.

Soviet Heavy:
Let me play your game first before I decide if I want to spend more money on it.

However, this I totally understand. As excited as I am for the potential situation I described, I still would want to actually PLAY the game before I start buying DLC. While the chances of me not liking Bioshock Infinite are comparable to a snowball's chance in hell, there's always the possibility, and I don't want to be stuck with DLC that I don't want if that happens.

Cool. There's another game I won't have to worry about until a cheaper GOTY version comes out with everything in a few months time.

Man, the industry sure does want me to save my money, doesn't it?

Christ, you people will go out of your way to hate anything for any reason.

"This game sure looks good and I'm really excited for it. Oh, it has something extra that won't affect me in any way if I don't choose to involve myself? Well, I guess the entire thing sucks now."

I feel like there has to be some kind of limit. People already hate things just for existing, I don't think there's anything higher than that.

I'm still very interested in this game, but I am not interested in this or any other 'season pass' for DLC, and I dislike the concept. Ultimately they'd like us all to pay more for the initial game, but they know that the $60 price point is already pushing the envelope. So all they have to do now is entice people with the idea of 'saving money' by paying up front for content that isn't even available yet. I feel especially bad for those folks who rushed out and subscribed to the Aliens Colonial Marines season pass. The gift that keeps on giving!

These days I'm so busy and have such a gaming backlog that there's no reason for me to bother with buying a game until it's on sale at the inevitable, substantially reduced price, so I look forward to the GOTY edition on Steam, with that subscription already rolled into it.

Full:

cidbahamut:

If the DLC is additional levels those need to be well integrated with the rest of the game. If they're well integrated, then why weren't they part of the original design?

If the DLC is a bunch of trivial little add-ons like extra costumes or weapons then why weren't those just incorporated as unlockables?

If the DLC is a massive and comprehensive additional with sufficiently large scope that it can be tacked on afterwards as its own experience, then why wasn't it released as an expansion pack?

If there are all these additional ideas for game additions then why weren't they incorporated into the core game's design?

I could go on like this all day.

If you're planning DLC before you even release your product, that tells me that you haven't finished your product and need to get that sorted out pretty badly.

Next they will have what they call Publisher Passes or something you pay some x fee, per year and every year you get what ever games and DLC that publisher puts out. I'm sure they will have premium and non premium versions. The premium will include all DLC, non premium has no DLC but includes the main games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here