Some Russians Think Chelyabinsk Meteor Wasn't A Meteor

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Some Russians Think Chelyabinsk Meteor Wasn't A Meteor

Half the readers of a Moscow paper believe that the meteorite was, say, a UFO or message from God.

A Moscow newspaper has revealed a poll that says around half its readers believe last week's exploding Chelyabinsk meteor wasn't actually a meteor at all. The paper in question is Noviye Izvestia, which the Christian Science Monitor reports is a "fairly staid Moscow daily." Half of Russians polled thought that the meteor was probably a secret U.S. weapon test, an alien spacecraft, a ballistic missile, a message from God, or even "an extraterrestrial Trojan horse carrying a deadly space virus to wipe out the Earth." Russians are reluctant to trust the official story because during the Soviet era there were centrally controlled campaigns of misinformation about disasters and events surrounding national security, thus many turn to rumor and speculation for their version of events.

"Our people remember the Soviet past, when news of disasters was concealed or lied about," Alexei Grazhdankin, deputy director of an independent Moscow polling agency told Christian Science Monitor. "We have no scientific polls on what people think about the Chelyabinsk event last week, but it's safe to assume the majority of Russians accept that it was a meteorite. However, our past surveys show that up to 25 percent of Russians do believe in UFOs. A lot of our people just prefer not to accept the safe explanations they were taught at school. Even when all necessary information is available, they don't want to believe it."

Source: Christian Science Monitor

Sigh....
Why would the US government want a meteor launcher when they got nuclear ballistic missiles.
Also, if the US gov up and decided to nuke Russia for no reason, Why pick the middle of fucking nowhere, Siberia.

TheSYLOH:
Sigh....
Why would the US government want a meteor launcher when they got nuclear ballistic missiles.
Also, if the US gov up and decided to nuke Russia for no reason, Why pick the middle of fucking nowhere, Siberia.

You'd be surprised what kind of important goodies governments like to hide in "the middle of fucking nowhere".

OT: I find it troubling that lately it seems alot of old cold war paranoia has started floating around. I rather thought we were past this; aspiring Bond villain President Putin withstanding that is.

If it had landed in the South, they would have said it was God showing his disapproval for Gay marriage, Gun control and Obama care.

Most eastern European countries' people believe in conspiracy theories & such UFO-type-things.

I know because I lived there during my childhood(EE, not Chelyabinsk)

KeyMaster45:

You'd be surprised what kind of important goodies governments like to hide in "the middle of fucking nowhere".

OT: I find it troubling that lately it seems alot of old cold war paranoia has started floating around. I rather thought we were past this; aspiring Bond villain President Putin withstanding that is.

I blame videogames!

Maybe it was a giant ball of garbage launched in to space only to return years later and wreak havoc? I saw a documentary about it called 'Futurama'. If it was a weapons test by the USA, why would they test a weapon by firing it at a country that, historically speaking, would love to retaliate with their nuclear doom arsenal? There is lots of ocean/desert/France to test weapons in without causing WW3.

It can't be a UFO, because it's been identified as a meteorite.

But on the other hand, half the Moscow population is probably shitfaced drunks who spend the whole day watching reruns of that awful program where camera teams will follow emergency services around and play completely uncensored weekly best-ofs of car crashes and suicides in national television.

And if this would have happened in the USA you would instead have "Some Americans think [Impact place] Meteor wasn't a meteor" and claim that it was the Russians bombarding them.

USA and Russian Federation is not so much different from one another. Except one is more Crazy Awesome.

TheSYLOH:
Sigh....

Cause we need to remind them Ruskies who's boss! Also, dropping shit from space can create explosions bigger than nukes with less radioactive fallout (heavy things like Uranium rods). Not that we're planning on wiping out all the other nations on Earth and creating a 'Murican utopia or anything

Considering the number of Americans who'd have believed it had been the UN, the New World Order, or something supernatural, I can't say it suprises me. This is about as stupid as claiming black helicopters perform weapon tests on american farmlands, causing the cattle mutilations. You typically don't test your weapon where the enemy can see it better than you can. You only deploy it when you know it works, and then generally only if you're at war.

I guess the captcha-generator is a conspiracy-believer too: 'first contact'.

We in the US got the message and the message said "Throw money into space rock detection equipment". Good enough for $500 million in NASA funding, so in a sense space just threw NASA a huge payday.

So, half of Russia (or at least half of the people polled) have the same belief as /x/ regarding the meteor?

It is amazing how some people think that SOMEONE has to be blame for every single event.

Honestly, I'd distrust the Russian government's official message if I were them, so I can't really blame them.

Some Russian people believe that Stalin is frozed in a block of ice to preserve him for the future, why does people believing in a conspiracy count as news?

I find this interesting, actually. Governments seem to forget their people's trust is a finite resource. Break that trust badly enough, and it becomes "the boy who cried wolf" or more like "the government who cried meteor". They lied before, why would they not lie again?

Here we have a country where government deception, it seems, has become inbedded into the national conciousness, to the point where it isn't crazy to think up conspiracies, it's wise.

It's just a combination of a loooooong series of unjust governments grossly abusing their power, ignorance, and vodka.

Mmmm...

>.>

still doesn't top North Korea and dat holy hummingbird

>.<

TheSYLOH:
Sigh....

They would shoot a missile and WWIII would break out.
A meteor falling is just an act of nature, no conflict over that.
Why in Siberia? Because it was a test and not an actual attack.

Maybe it's really the Transformers?

I've been preparing for when the zombies crawl out of the frakking woodwork. It was obviously a zombie meteorite.

First Chelyabinsk, tomorrow YOUR HOME TOWN

prepare

TheSYLOH:
Sigh....

I don't know, but I love the idea of the Americans building a giant catapult and hurling rocks at Russia.

HardkorSB:

TheSYLOH:
Sigh....

They would shoot a missile and WWIII would break out.
A meteor falling is just an act of nature, no conflict over that.
Why in Siberia? Because it was a test and not an actual attack.

Maybe it's really the Transformers?

I honestly hope it is transformers. That would make the whole 'God' analogy look stupid. I'm agnostic but it still makes me feel embarrassed when people call glowing rocks from the sky 'God symbols'. Though if it is the US, I hope they don't start another war.

Though I can imagine the US going "*Pretends to slip and accidentally pressing nuclear launch button* Oh, woe is me! What has happened?! I accidentally pressed this button o' death!"

thiosk:
It was obviously a zombie meteorite.

That was Tunguska silly

OT:
Not any diffent then if this happened in the US
The is more stupidity then left over Cold war paranoia.

Darn, they're catching onto us. Still, they'll never suspect it was us! The Canadia-

Oh. They know everything.

I forgot.

Not surprising really..

While many people might be aware of what the word meteor is referring to, seeing giant fireballs falling from the sky still isn't exactly an every day occurrence. Still stupid, but with people in general believing the things to do, once in a lifetime large exploding sky rocks are fairly likely to cause nonsense responses.

KeyMaster45:

I got the strong impression that this is more of a cultural artifact resulting from decades of state controlled information flow rather than real cold war paranoia.

JonB:
Russians are reluctant to trust the official story because during the Soviet era there were centrally controlled campaigns of misinformation about disasters and events surrounding national security, thus many turn to rumor and speculation for their version of events.

"Our people remember the Soviet past, when news of disasters was concealed or lied about," Alexei Grazhdankin, deputy director of an independent Moscow polling agency told Christian Science Monitor.

Distrust like this can take more than 50 years to die out. It's a generational thing. Basically the generation that lived during such times has to die out before it completely disappears.

The same sort of thing is happening in America with the REAL racists/homophobes/religious bigots etc from yesteryear slowly dying off and leaving behind younger generations that basically don't have the same hang ups. Or have them as intensely, anyway. We don't have the KKK running the South with tens of millions of members now like they did in the 1920's to 1960's, for example.

Froggy Slayer:
So, half of Russia (or at least half of the people polled) have the same belief as /x/ regarding the meteor?

It is amazing how some people think that SOMEONE has to be blame for every single event.

It makes a lot of people sleep more easily at night if bad things can be blamed on someone. It is weirdly comforting to assume some evil person our group out there is plotting against you than to accept that the vast majority of people don't really gives much of a shit about you and the universe doesn't care if you live or die. People like to feel important and I think a lot of conspiracy theories focus on huge plots and such because it makes the conspiracy "uncoverer" feel somehow important and smarter than the masses who accept the lies they are told.

Everyone's a hero in their own mind, and accepting that most of everything we do is ultimately pointless is kind of jarring and disturbing to a lot of people.

OT: People believe a great many strange things. I won't judge them too harshly for their silliness, as long as no-one gets hurt because of it they are free to think of as many outlandish conspiracies as they want.

Copper Zen:

KeyMaster45:

I got the strong impression that this is more of a cultural artifact resulting from decades of state controlled information flow rather than real cold war paranoia.

I was referring to how some of them speculated it was the US firing an experimental weapon at them, not the general level of government mistrust.

I believe it has something to do with Project Blue Beam. It is only a matter of how much the public will play into their hands. And of course, play into their hands they will, because no one is left on this planet that trusts his instinct and intuition over his insane mind, which only listens to what TV and those calling themselves "SCIENTISTS" tell them... Yeah, I can tell we've come a long way since the dark ages! Oh wait, WE'RE STILL in the bloody DARK AGES! They just invented a new form of slavery called FREEDOM *sound of a billion eagles and a trumpet*!

I am free to follow THEIR rules, go to school, get a job, marry, fuck, consume poison AND DIE! If I want to do something to change this fucking world however, and speak out against our so called perfect freedom system, I'm a TURRIST, or CRAZEE, or EXTREMIST, or (I love this) need to see a doctor to check on my mental health! Who exactly lobotomised the entirety of the human species, to make them into the apathetic, without any empathy, artificially intelligent ZOMBIES that they are?! I can feel how our intellect, something we are born with (the so-called intellect of adulthood is a result of inhibition, therefore I would hardly consider it intelligent in any way) is being striped away by the culture, the society, the religion, the chemicals in food and water. People are in a trance and being led by folks with no empathy!

Please, for the sake of everyone in existence, become a bit aware. Stop trusting everything academia and media and religion tells you. We are being controlled!

As much as I want to laugh at "those crazy Ruskies", I remember the video I once saw of the American woman who believed that the government put something in tap water to create rainbows when it came out of a sprinkler.

The Rogue Wolf:
As much as I want to laugh at "those crazy Ruskies", I remember the video I once saw of the American woman who believed that the government put something in tap water to create rainbows when it came out of a sprinkler.

bhjnasdfjkl;ah

I'm sorry that was me rolling my head across my keyboard from the shock that people like that exist.

OT: I wonder what David Eick's view on all this is.

PoolCleaningRobot:

TheSYLOH:
Sigh....

Cause we need to remind them Ruskies who's boss! Also, dropping shit from space can create explosions bigger than nukes with less radioactive fallout (heavy things like Uranium rods). Not that we're planning on wiping out all the other nations on Earth and creating a 'Murican utopia or anything

The "Rods from God" concept. It's quite interesting to be honest.

Reminds me of old West African beliefs that THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS, SOMEONE MUST HAVE CURSED ME.

The main question I want to ask is why is a random meteor so unlikely to these people? I mean, space rocks have to land SOMEwhere, right?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here