Next Metal Gear Solid May Be Too Controversial to Release

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

IronMit:

Attacking the US

Oh shit.

Attacking modern U.S. and implying that they had it coming would be more controversial than rape.

Do it!

I'm pretty sure that he's doing this so that they stop forcing him to make more metal gear solid games.

All I want to know is if I actually get to play the game at some point rather than watch it.

Moral of the story, GO BUY METAL GEAR RISING, it's fucking amazing.

well metal gear games already tackle mature subjects. How much more mature can you get?

antigodoflife:

BrotherRool:
Ground Zeroes = 9/11 reference?

No, Ground Zero is a term for a point of origin of something devastating. For example, the Ground Zeroes for the atomic bomb are Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan.

this makes me wonder
if the game will revolve around actual ground zeroes and such, or if it's some sort of play on words with "heroes" involving a bunch of antihero ground soldiers

also didn't he say the Solid sub-series was over? =P
may have gotten something wrong there though

Xarathox:
Some of his concerns over these "taboos" are probably normal everyday subject matter for western audiences. Then again, he's probably just straight up lying to drum up interest, since that's the only tactic he's used since MGS2.

I gotta argue that the lying I assume you're referring to (playable Snake in Big Shell) had legitimate artistic merit. The entire game attacks the idea of wanting to be Snake and idealizing him as a hero. MGS2 is at its core an extended "fuck you" to the player.

bananafishtoday:

Xarathox:
Some of his concerns over these "taboos" are probably normal everyday subject matter for western audiences. Then again, he's probably just straight up lying to drum up interest, since that's the only tactic he's used since MGS2.

I gotta argue that the lying I assume you're referring to (playable Snake in Big Shell) had legitimate artistic merit. The entire game attacks the idea of wanting to be Snake and idealizing him as a hero. MGS2 is at its core an extended "fuck you" to the player.

There was also that interview with him stating that the jungle section of MGS3 was more sandbox than the previous titles. Which it certainly wasn't.

Xarathox:

bananafishtoday:

Xarathox:

There was also that interview with him stating that the jungle section of MGS3 was more sandbox than the previous titles. Which it certainly wasn't.

Oh, I hadn't heard that, and yeah, not defending it. I just get twitchy whenever the MGS2 marketing is brought up because I feel like a lot of people don't appreciate what the game was trying to be.

bananafishtoday:

Xarathox:

bananafishtoday:

Oh, I hadn't heard that, and yeah, not defending it. I just get twitchy whenever the MGS2 marketing is brought up because I feel like a lot of people don't appreciate what the game was trying to be.

Oh, I do appreciate it. The MGS series is in my top 2 of all time favorites. And MGS2 in particular is my favorite from the series. The whole ending with GW talking smack to you, made me replay it about a bajillion times just to even wrap my mind around all the crazy.

ShirowShirow:
Well, we have no idea what these themes could be...

Still, glad to see Kojima deciding to push the envelope. A lot of games are playing it way too safe nowadays.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if Rising really is selling well.

Well, with the name "Ground Zeroes" the image that comes to mind from a Japanese developer is a game that is basically involved in even more Western/US bashing than normal, with a focus on the horrors of the A-bombs dropped on Japan minus Japan's own attitude at the time and the whole situation that lead to that.

While it goes back a loooong time, I remember reading that Raiden was developed for racist reasons since the series was military and having a Gaijin hero didn't go over well with the Japanese market. They tried to replace Snake early on, but Western fans didn't go for it, and that's where the money was.

At the end of the day I've never found Metal Gear to be especially deep to be honest, it just tends to throw in a lot of science fiction tropes along with it's political commentary, but always pretty much comes down to a very simplistic series of events, just with a complicated backstory. At the end of the day your playing some sneaky soldier who needs to take out a bunch of dudes in trap filled complexs to prevent a group of psychopaths from doing bad things. It tends to mostly get complicated when you look at the backstory, who is supposed to be sympathetic for what reason, and how we got to this point, but in the end we're always back to an analogy to Reagan's old MX missle program (the idea of moving missles around the country constantly so they couldn't be targeted or stolen very easily), replacing trains and other forms of realistic transport with a nuclear armed mecha. The thought that the US could (and arguably still can) destroy the world 10x over and there wasn't even a chance of targeting the missles was terrifying, and this largely revolves around the idea of what happened if a third party with an agenda was able to basically do the same thing (which requires a mecha or something like that because a group of terrorists wouldn't have the nessicary control of a national infrastructure).

I of course could very well be wrong, but I half expect Kojima's idea of mature means that he plans to lay into the US more than ever before, and is mostly concerned that the western market won't want to listen to him rant and rave through a game once they catch on since he's taking it to an entirely new extreme. Of course with how well received a lot of other US bashing games have been (many made by the US) he might figure now is the time to take the plunge if he's ever going to do it.

That's my thoughts just by looking at the title, which of course at this point could be very wrong.

then just closs the release line and get the funk out.
and try to find a way to get on the pc market as well.

since solid seems to be really gone this time, lets hope we wont get to play as harlem snake
this would mean hideo sold out..

Maybe you play as a drugged child soldier.

Just no more Otacon crying. I think we can all agree that's a line that need not be crossed.

And am I wrong in thinking Ground Zeroes is totally going to be a PS4 release?

It's Kojima, so the chances are he's full of shit. I hope he isn't this time, though. I'd like more maturity in MGS. Previous titles, as much as I love them, had quite a lot of adolescent shitty moments.

Cue game where Snake rapes and eats his enemies to get their power. Traffics in young boys and girls peacewalker style and hi fives a digital Joesph Kony before helping him cut off peoples arms with a motion controller. There is a emotional scene where he asks child he just orphaned if it thinks love can bloom on the battlefield. In between missions there is a minigame where you can use Snake's hands to reduce women to a quivering moaning heap - with a predator drone strike. All while smoking, cos smoking is f**king cool! Also PMC'S!

I have no idea why he doesn't think that would sell. Metal Gear Solid games are nothing but legitimately edgy.

Eh most of the time when you hear this two things come to mind

A) The topics really aren't that mature at all and are going to feel pretty childish in how they are presented.

B) The developer is really high on themselves. "Oh I am just so very risque I don't even know if people will accept what I am doing because it is just so out of the box. Oh me."

But then again if it is possibly neither of those (but come on it's the guy behind metal gear)...I do understand why one would be cautious about being controversial at all with the gaming medium right now...hell just because we don't hear too much about it anymore it doesn't mean the media still isn't gunning for another poster boy to get them back up on that "Games are hurting our society" podium again.

Is it just me or is this just a PR stunt to hype up just how DARK, EDGY and GRITTY the game is going to be?

And as we all know, "dark, edgy and gritty" makes something both AWESOME and MATURE and if you don't agree with that, you're...I don't know, closed-minded, or something.

I'm sorry, but this looks exactly the same to me as the stereotypical compliment-fisher using self-deprecation in order to provoke positive feedback from people.

BrotherRool:
Ground Zeroes = 9/11 reference?

Ground Zero is a general term.

The drop site for the Hiroshima Bomb was Ground Zero as well.

basically, its the center of the event.

so Im guessing by the title, not-snake will have to either sneak into a area before something bad happens, probably involving nuclear weapons, nano-machines, nuclear nano-machines, or special enemies that have special abilities do something bad.

Like steal 40 cakes.

Future soldiers will be genetically enhanced with the DNA of Hideo Kojima.

That is actually awesome, I am glad Kojima wants to push the boundaries in a medium where if something is slightly controversial that people go up in arms about it, luckily because the game is Japanese and isn't as famous as CoD or GTA that the franchise shouldn't have that much risk of being attacked by western media.

As long as it is not controversial in the "OMG this is so dark and edgy" way and more in a political, realistic and thought provoking way then my interest still remains the same.

Gearhead mk2:
This can go two ways:
1) It's a deep, affecting, mature story that deals with heavy themes and is better than most other medium's take on the subjects due to using the inherent interactivity of games to it's advantage, like Spec Ops.
2) It's a twisted, convoluted, pretentious mess of poor story and odd gameplay that makes WH40K look like Kirby and features too many over-the-top or intetionlly silly moments to be taken seriously.
Either way, idiot fans are gonna bitch about the lack of Snake, unless this is a prequel that involves Snake, which I highly doubt. Personally, though I've never actually play a Metal Gear game (flame me all you like) I really hope Hideo pulls it off. I'm a sucker for a good story.

its a prequel involving big boss a few years after peacewalker

I honestly don't really know much about the MGS series, don't have the consoles required to play them, but wasn't this that series that has quicktime-like events in cutscenes to allow for panty-shots and such of the female characters?

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe you can't combine serious themes with juvenile silliness, but I do believe doing so in a way that keeps the tone of the mature stuff serious is extremely challenging.

I'd love to see it, games tackling actual mature subject matter are great, but based on my hopefully wrong impression of the MGS series there's this small fear that it's going to be something like twincest between two hot underage girls with tragic pasts.

But as I said, I don't really know the first thing about MGS so I'm probably and hopefully wrong.

You hear this shit from a lot of game writers who have had people praising them far, far more than they deserve. (See also: David Cage.) Invariably they change nothing, because they aren't good writers.

It's Kojima, we all know it's going to be a convoluted story where he tries to shoehorn in themes and elements he hasn't got any real understanding of.

Well im sure it wont matter. After all he cant write for crap so know one will even know what the hell is going on in the game anyway.

Cognimancer:
And even if I did release the game, maybe it wouldn't sell, because [the themes would be] just too much. But as a creator, I want to take that risk." "But I'm approaching this project from the point of view of a creator," he admits, "where I'm prioritizing creativity over sales."

Every publisher and developer should act this way. So many great games have come out because the creators wanted to do something their way. Look at Double Fine!

Gearhead mk2:
This can go two ways:
1) It's a deep, affecting, mature story that deals with heavy themes and is better than most other medium's take on the subjects due to using the inherent interactivity of games to it's advantage, like Spec Ops.
2) It's a twisted, convoluted, pretentious mess of poor story and odd gameplay that makes WH40K look like Kirby and features too many over-the-top or intetionlly silly moments to be taken seriously.
Either way, idiot fans are gonna bitch about the lack of Snake, unless this is a prequel that involves Snake, which I highly doubt. Personally, though I've never actually play a Metal Gear game (flame me all you like) I really hope Hideo pulls it off. I'm a sucker for a good story.

It's a prequel which involves Naked Snake, also known as Big Boss, who fans don't seem to have a problem with.

Ironically this has probably convinced me to buy this game. I'm not much of an MGS fan (I did play MGS4 and very much enjoyed it but it didn't really sell me on the series as a whole) but I always want game developers to make a stand for the validity of gaming to tackle touchy subject matter and show nay sayers that video games are just as much an art form as cinema, paintings or music.

Hagi:
I honestly don't really know much about the MGS series, don't have the consoles required to play them, but wasn't this that series that has quicktime-like events in cutscenes to allow for panty-shots and such of the female characters?

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe you can't combine serious themes with juvenile silliness, but I do believe doing so in a way that keeps the tone of the mature stuff serious is extremely challenging.

I'd love to see it, games tackling actual mature subject matter are great, but based on my hopefully wrong impression of the MGS series there's this small fear that it's going to be something like twincest between two hot underage girls with tragic pasts.

But as I said, I don't really know the first thing about MGS so I'm probably and hopefully wrong.

Here I grabbed a random video of mgs4 to show you just how insanely off you are and how hilarious that was to read.

it's nice to see him prioritising creative output over sales but in the end of the day, it's still Kojima. We all know how this is going to end up.

Hagi:

....Are you serious...?

This is a joke, right? o_o

I'd think, seeing as it's set in the seventies/eighties, Kojima may tackle the topic of child soldiers and the impact their upbringing has on their mental health. He's already touched on the topic with Raiden, but with the addition of Chico and Paz, especially Chico's obvious torture in the MGS:GZ trailer, we may get an opportunity to see the brutal truth fleshed out a little more.

Also, this may be the point where we see Big Boss take that next step from revolutionary with a dream to full-blown anti-hero - the point where he crosses a line The Boss normally wouldn't take.

Additionally, with the addition of child soldiers, is there a possibility Kojima would add them into Metal Gear Online? Imagine the controversy that would produce - "famous videogame director creates child slaughter simulator anybody can play".

Arslan Aladeen:
I don't always like the results, but I do appreciate the fact that for a franchise as big as Metal Gear is, Kojima seems very willing to take risks with it. I'm hoping he follows through with the idea of a game based on The Boss and the Cobras.

Amen to that. I'd also like to see a game featuring Big Boss during his Green Beret days, maybe while he's training with The Boss or in Vietnam with Python. Hell, just anything with Big Boss. Aside from that I thought Kojima said he was tired of the Metal Gear universe (or perhaps it was just Snake) and wanted to pursue other games?

Honestly though, I'm just waiting for the scene when Solidus meets Solid Snake for the first time and says "I ain't yo daddy. How's it going brother?"

Sounds like someone is pulling a peter Molyneux. Don't get me wrong, I like Metal Gear series. I just never though of it as a mature series, or had a interesting story or comprehensible story. Coarse could be that I was young when I started playing Metal gear, and when the 4th one came around and I couldn't honestly tell you what was going on even after sitting through all the cut-scenes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here