PlayStation UK Boss Upset With Fan Reaction to PS4 Event

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

PlayStation UK Boss Upset With Fan Reaction to PS4 Event

"It's much more important to see what the damn thing does."

For all intents and purposes, Sony's PlayStation 2013 event did a fine job of showing what PlayStation fans can look forward to later this year - at least in terms of new software. However, the company's decision to hold back the reveal of the actual PlayStation 4 itself (probably until E3) has been met with a fair bit of criticism. Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK, Fergal Gara, doesn't agree with the outcry, and he has no problem voicing his own opinion of what he sees as "cynicism" amongst the community at large.

"I understand that frustration but frankly, a box is a box. Is that really the most important thing?," Gara explained to Videogamer. "So what? It's much more important to see what the damn thing does. The shiniest piece of black, green or purple plastic ever, you know, whatever, so what? It's not the most important thing."

It's a fair point, of course; What the hardware itself looks like pales in comparison to what it can produce on the screen. Still, it's hardly absurd for potential customers to want to catch a glimpse of the actual, physical product that will be putting a strain on their bank accounts. Either way, we likely still have a few months to go before we see the console itself, so for now we'll just play the waiting game.

Source: Videogamer

He has a point, but most of the criticisms regarding the reveal haven't been all that off-base. If you're going to get hyped for something it kind of helps to know what it looks like. Mind's eye and all that.

while i have no interest in the thing and wont be getting it they shot themselves in the foot by not revealing it. people were expecting it and their first reaction to it is to be annoyed

sony needs new marketing

I can see where he's coming from, and it's not like it's difficult to predict what it would look like.

But he should also understand the when something is generally built up to be a reveal of the new console people may actually want to see the thing.

When you unveil a new console, of course we are excited to see it. An of course we are disapointed that it was not shown. Doesnt mean we have no interest in the system because of that. But also, by his opinion, we should judge it on what it does. Even then the event failed to impress most people with the games and vids they showed. So they failed quite badly. lol

Anyway, once we get to E3 im sure Sony will wow us with the console and titles.

what? People bitched Nintendo out for not showing the Wii U console two years ago, so it's only fair Sony gets the same treatment. Though I suspect will do something ELSE that is bitchworthy in the coming months.

They're holding a big event to reveal the ps4 and they don't even show it.
How did they expect people to react?

It doesn't matter how "unimportant" the case is, you hype up an event to reveal the thing, you show the darn thing.
They didn't deliver and now they get what they deserve for their risky PR bullshit.
Simple as that.

Well, there is only one recourse for that, I suppose, if you're displeased with your fanbase - find a new one!

Seriously, this is another aspect of that thing when the businesses just can't take criticism. "Oh, we are perfect, if you have an issue with what we're giving you, there must be something wrong with you!"

I'm personally more irritated that they're releasing next-gen consoles in the first place, we haven't even reached the pinnacle of what the current generation machines can do, do we really need another batch of consoles to replace the current ones?

Like the saying goes; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

By showing the console itself, it cements the concept that it actually exists and that its not just still lying in the minds of some designers. While I appreciate the chances are it does exist, its such a fundamental part of marketing that it seems odd they declined to show it.

On a different scale its similar to something on kickstarter - you're going to do a lot better if you actually show you've got something physical.

While I somewhat agree with his point, on the other hand I must say they really didn't show anything. Mostly pre-rendered trailers (not even always new ones), anticlimactic announcements (Diablo 3? GTFO) and stuff that was just blatant lies (that Media Molecule stuff was utter bullshit).

I was really ambivalent towards that whole event, and only the specs (so yeah, the hardware) made up for it. And they didn't show that...

Well, it's kind of like this Aliens thing.
You could have all sorts of ideas and bulletpoints but we've learned this gen that what you see is not always what you get. People don't just want to see the shiny box, we want to see it in use.

Hell, after what Sony & MS got away with this generation, I'm waiting for a $400 cardboard box filled with xmas lights.

MikeWehner:
"It's much more important to see what the damn thing does."

Or maybe that we see the damn thing actually doing it, and not just a bunch of select videos and your good word.

Showing a bunch of videos that are prerecorded or prettied up gameplay, of what the system might do doesn't suffice. It's a difference between seeing the device actually working and seeing something thrown on a screen for show. Even parts of the show that appear that they are using the system and software comes under suspect because the actual system itself is not shown but hidden behind stage somewhere.

With so many games not delivering what is promised these days, with so much experience with over hyped products that have led to one too many disappointments, people are more hard pressed to not believe these companies.

Since they are showing these videos, talking up a storm, and not showing the product itself, the reaction is what is wrong? What are they hiding? Why aren't they showing it?

I guess for me I was impressed with the specs and gameplay footage shown. Hell, the fact we even saw gameplay footage was unexpected. I know whatever the console looks like will be fine. If it plays games and plays them well, I'm fine with a wait to see it.

There would be less sting in his argument if they actually showed us what it could do.
All we saw was some pre-rendered trailers. I very much doubt there was even a PS4 in that building; likely just a powerful development PC, if there was any live footage at all.

Although seeing the actual physical product would have been cool, there are far more important questions that need to be answered first.

Like what is the extent of this "Remote Play" feature? Will it be limited to your household (i.e. completely useless), or will I be able to travel and play it on a Vita no matter where I go? These are the important questions that could make or break the PS4. No one cares about graphical fidelity, it's the features like Remote Play that I would think someone would get it. Simply making it so you can play your PS4 games anywhere you go would increase sales for both the PS4 AND the Vita (because we all know with the removal of backwards compatibility, it's going to have some difficulties selling)

So this guy thinks that by insulting his audience, he'll get more business?

grigjd3:
So this guy thinks that by insulting his audience, he'll get more business?

The games industry seems to work that way. Most big publishers have in some way insulted the intelligence of the gaming community. Ubisoft persisted in calling PC gamers pirates for years, for example.

We would have accepted concept art. They showed NO-THING. I.E., they failed in that regard. Not only that, but they showed PC footage for a game. Saying "EH, NO DIFFERENCE" isn't a good excuse either. The features it has could be extremely dangerous if mis-handled, so they aren't anything to applaud just yet. The stats are somewhat impressive, but not needed in the slightest. Real talk? The only good this PS4 does atm is that it makes it easier for the devs to dev.

Eggsnham:
I'm personally more irritated that they're releasing next-gen consoles in the first place, we haven't even reached the pinnacle of what the current generation machines can do, do we really need another batch of consoles to replace the current ones?

Like the saying goes; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We've long since maxed out what a console can do. Why do you think they have low rez textures, small draw distances, and sub HD resolution with no AA AF SSAO HBAO tessellation or anything like that. Tiny amounts of ram and a 7 year old gpu just doesn't cut it anymore

If there was a demonstrably working box, I could convince myself that all the demo footage was real and that price and release dates are mere details to be announced later.

Without a box, the entire presentation smells of vaporware. Now that all the tech specs, pretty videos, and release(?) titles are out there, it's going to be hard for me to still be excited 9 months from now. When (if?) they do eventually show the box and name a release date & price, I'm unlikely to be impressed with anything less than a Half-Life 3 announcement.

I suppose that, at the very least, they've put all the developers on notice that those games had better be ready when the PS4 is.

Gotta agree with Gara, but that's coming from a PC gamer that spent all of 20 on his case so clearly doesn't give a single solitary fuck about appearance so long as it is functional and performs well.

My problem was that its supposed to be a console reveal in theory and it was just a glorified tech demo. It was just a "box" somewhere with a controller linked to it. This was not a Playstation 4, it was just a computer running games that are expected to be on it.

This whole business with Colonial Marines gave gamers a nice reminder not to believe in all of the hype.

What's more, Sony has past examples of showing videos demonstrations that were... less than indicative of the final product. Sony deciding to use Killzone to demonstrate the PS4 brought up some very unfortunate memories about the PS3 pre-launch.

Between the recent events creating a layer of cynicism among potential early adopters and the fact that there's precedence of Sony exaggerating what their console can do, some people took the presentation with a few more grains of salt than they might have last time around.

I am very concerned about the battery life of these LED screen controllers. Smartphones need recharged every day, i guess these controllers will need the same to operate.

Andy Shandy:
I can see where he's coming from, and it's not like it's difficult to predict what it would look like.

But he should also understand the when something is generally built up to be a reveal of the new console people may actually want to see the thing.

The UK boss needs his head examined.

What's the one thing gamers hate most. Unfinished products.

What was the PS4 reveal. An unfinished product.

Would it have been so hard to wait until you had a console, firm launch material and a fleshed out package to show? Why would you not want to put your best foot forward when you want to try and erase the previous console generation and try and come out on top this one?

All PS4 has done was shown Xbox720 what NOT to do.

STILL! I'm looking forward to it, and I really do hope all the developers are able to deliver a revolutionary experience instead of just episodic rehashed sequels because they can't manage a budget to produce a stellar new experience for less money than a AAA title would need to recoup.

We'll see!

Does he want my money or not?

I want to know where my money might go. I want to know as much as possible. What does it look like? What can it do? What games are on it? What features are in it? Is it backwards compatible? Is it big or small? Is it black or white? How much does it cost? What online service will it use? How will it handle online purchases and used games? What media formats will it play? What innovations will it make? Why should I get this over a high-end PC? What sort of PS3 support will there be following its launch? Etc.

I'm the customer. If you want me to buy your system, you have to SHOW what the "damn thing" is and is capable of. If only they had, like, a PS4 Reveal Event or something where they could've done that...

I've gotta agree with him. Sure it would be nice to see what sort of design the thing will have but the amount of vitriol over it not being shown at the event is just nauseating. If it does what you want and, most important, plays the games you want to play, it doesn't matter what it looks like.. at all. Seriously. If you can seriously say that the appearance of a console would stop you from buying it even though it's got all of the games you want to play it, then you should probably reconsider why you're buying it in the first place.

So I could theoretically get a purple PS4?

Eh, I'm willing to wait. I'm not passing any judgement until I see and/or play the full package. I wasn't interested in the current generation until I actually played one of the things.

Besides, the case doesnt bother me. My old PSx spent the last 2 years of its life with a broken shell and half of its innards hanging out, yet I still loved and played it.

MikeWehner:

"I understand that frustration but frankly, a box is a box. Is that really the most important thing?," Gara explained to Videogamer. "So what? It's much more important to see what the damn thing does. The shiniest piece of black, green or purple plastic ever, you know, whatever, so what? It's not the most important thing."

Cool... So the box is not that big of a thing? Then where is it? If it does not matter then why do you care if we see it? Or does it matter and you are not done picking what it should look like yet? If it does not matter if you make a terrible choice in design then you can just change it later.... Or maybe you are just full of s**t.

ViciousTide:
I am very concerned about the battery life of these LED screen controllers. Smartphones need recharged every day, i guess these controllers will need the same to operate.

They are touch pad controllers there is no display screen on them, think the back of the Vita on the front of the controller. So about what a PS3 one does I bet, unless the game you are playing uses all touch pad.

Side note you said that and I thought of the Dreamcast controller.

Shame what has been shown on screen has been useless pandering. Nothing reaffirms the idea of "same shit, new console" like sequels being pumped out like no tomorrow on the new console and maybe very few new brand names. Pretty things are well and good, but I want to see performance and I want to see what new things it can offer.

while he has a point, what kind of expo would you go to if you dont show us the main atraction?

sure it may not have its final design yet but having it look like a black box and somebody playing one of the new ps4 games would have much bigger impact than their 40 mins about that whole new share feature.

If i was going to a car expo, where they were about show a new car, i would pretty much hate if the only thing that they actualy showed was the tires(controlers) not even some concept art of the car(console).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here