Join the Fight With The Escapist Live in Dust 514

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Join the Fight With The Escapist Live in Dust 514

You can join the week-long fray and battle alongside The Escapist in Dust 514, or you can let us do the heavy lifting and watch us live on Twitch.tv.

Beginning on Monday, March 4th, and running through Friday, March 8th, The Escapist will be hosting a week-long event in the Dust 514 beta, where The Escapist staff will be battling clone armies alongside the community, as well as streaming to Twitch.tv to allow those without a PS3 to join the fun. As an extra bonus, every community member that joins The Escapist's in-game corporation will receive a commemorative Dust 514 badge on site. You can even join early by going in game and submitting your application to the "Escapist Magazine" corporation, being sure to include your Escapist username in your application. The PS3-exclusive Dust 514 is currently in open beta, and instructions on how to get into the game can be found in the How to Play section here.

Dust 514 is a free-to-play FPS with a twist; it ties directly into CCP's EVE Online. Whether you're being hired as a mercenary for a ruthless player-owned corporation, or you're calling in a favor with an Orbital Bombardment, the battles that take place in Dust 514 can have real effects on the in-game universe of EVE Online. This sort of interaction is definitely a novelty to players, and we are excited to see just how much impact the battles of Dust will actually have on the EVE universe.

Dust 514 features two currencies, ISK and Aurum, the former being the same as the in-game currency for EVE Online, and the latter being the real-money currency exclusive to Dust 514's micro-transactions. You'll be able to purchase cosmetic upgrades, as well as some actual equipment with Aurum, however, most practical items you can buy with Aurum are slated to be available via ISK as well, which can be earned through contracts in the game.

The Escapist will be in game and streaming live on Twitch.tv for four hours each day from Monday to Friday, as per the schedule below. In case you're busy at work during the day, we'll be bookending the event on Monday and Friday with MikeWehner, who you may know from the Neverwinter beta live stream, putting some extra hours into Dust 514 in the evening starting at 5:30pm Eastern. If you've got a PS3, you may want to download Dust now, so you'll be ready to get in on the action when Monday rolls around. Would you like to know more?

Update: The Dust 514 event launch has been delayed until Noon Eastern time. Check back then for more info!

Advertisement

Going to appy to the corp as soon as.

Alas, I don't have a PS3. I do have Eve though... and, if I decided to do a little spending, some pretty nasty warships I could float around. :o

Looking into downloading now, Central time is GMT -6 right?
Just finished a up a contract with the merchent navy so i'm free all week for this. Will be looking forward to my first escapist event.

I remember playing DUST-514 back when it was only in PS+ Exclusive beta.

Maybe I should give the game another go and join you guys in the fray. :D

neonsword13-ops:
I remember playing DUST-514 back when it was only in PS+ Exclusive beta.

Maybe I should give the game another go and join you guys in the fray. :D

I've been playing even longer than that.
*Puts on hipster glasses*

I just put my application in. Hopefully you guys got it.

Might as well give it a try.

Yureina:
Alas, I don't have a PS3. I do have Eve though... and, if I decided to do a little spending, some pretty nasty warships I could float around. :o

I can't even THINK of a scenario where orbital bombardments wouldn't be awesome :)

Either way, I think the in-game chat spans across both DUST and EVE simultaneously.

Yureina:

It's the same corporation in Eve. We're not presently involved in Factional Warfare, so our pilots won't be able to do supporting bombardments. Theoretically the interaction will expand beyond FW (0.0 Sovereignty, probably) at some point in the future.

s0osleepie:

Yureina:

I can't even THINK of a scenario where orbital bombardments wouldn't be awesome :)

Either way, I think the in-game chat spans across both DUST and EVE simultaneously.

Correct, it does.

I've tried it out a bit and found myself put off by the complexity of the upgrade and advancement systems in place. Guess it's time to bust out a wiki and join in.

I'll be downloading and trying this out tomorrow. I'll dig out my ps3 headset, and annoy my EVE playing buddies until they come and bomb the shit out of the other guys.

s0osleepie:

Yureina:

It certainly does I talk to my corp all the time while shooting people. And let me tell you it make orbital a much easier thing to time when you can say, "wait for it, wait for it, OK BURN EM!"

might join
time zones would be a clusterfuck though, but I'll try

paulgruberman:

Yureina:

It's the same corporation in Eve. We're not presently involved in Factional Warfare, so our pilots won't be able to do supporting bombardments. Theoretically the interaction will expand beyond FW (0.0 Sovereignty, probably) at some point in the future.

I see. To be honest I don't really know how the interaction between the two games actually works in practice since i've not tried it. Been real busy lately, plus in Eve I tend to be more interested in expanding my swimming pool full of monies more than anything else. That and occasionally blowing stuff up. Was in the RvB-E-Uni war the other week. :)

Yureina:

paulgruberman:

Yureina:

I see. To be honest I don't really know how the interaction between the two games actually works in practice since i've not tried it. Been real busy lately, plus in Eve I tend to be more interested in expanding my swimming pool full of monies more than anything else. That and occasionally blowing stuff up. Was in the RvB-E-Uni war the other week. :)

Purple-Uni war Best war. OT, get involved in FW, Escapist Mag. Join Amarr-Caldari and we'll put those dirty slaves and hedonists down together, or Minnie-Gallente and I can bomb you guys, either way is fine, really.

Sounds fun! Just sent my application in. Hope you received it.

Haven't posted on these forums for ages, but I've been playing dust 514 for a while now, and it's one kittening awesome game. It takes a little getting used to, with the skills and stocking up your equipment, but once you start to figure it all out, you'll start killing with the best of 'em.

If you ever need help with anything, my corp will be sure to help, hit us up in our ingame chat channel; SPF. Shindig. You'll squad up with some awesome guys.

Also, how can we take on you escapist guys, are you just corp battling it up, or instant?

Catch you guys on the battlefield.

Yureina:
To be honest I don't really know how the interaction between the two games actually works in practice since i've not tried it.

3 things I can count up.
*You can chat with people who are playing EVE Online.
*You can accept contracts, made by EVE corps to fight on specific maps, which represents a region on certain planets in the EVE universe. If your side wins the match, The corp that issued the contract gains control of that regions. Take over all the regions and the corp gains planetary control, which grants them some awesome benefits.
*If an Eve player, that's on your side, is in orbit of the planet that you're fighting on, you can choose to paint a target somewhere in the battlefield. If said player responds to the signal, he will rain cleansing fire over the area. Dust players need to paint a target, in order for eve players to start bombing the territory (so there's no fly-by trolling). Additionally, if the enemy side has Eve players supporting their war effort, your side can do something about it, by taking over certain installations that can target and fire back at the EVE ships in orbit.

Some reading material:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_514#Connection_to_Eve_Online
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-22-how-exactly-will-dust-514-and-eve-online-work-together

I won't be joining you on the ground, but let me know which world you'll be fighting on, and I'll make sure to join you in the sky!

SecondPrize:
Purple-Uni war Best war. OT, get involved in FW, Escapist Mag. Join Amarr-Caldari and we'll put those dirty slaves and hedonists down together, or Minnie-Gallente and I can bomb you guys, either way is fine, really.

It was a good fight, and I got myself around 21B in killmails for the loss of only 0.5B. Killmails aren't super-important to me, but I had great fun, and the huge ISK efficiency I got was a nice bonus to that.

Product Placement:
Stuff

Boo. You misquoted me. I said I didn't know about how the EVE-Dust interaction works in practice, meaning to actually do it myself. I know plenty about how it is supposed to work in theory.

Huh... this thread is novel for me. I was under the impression that EVE (and indeed most MMO's) are not very popular on this site, or perhaps that's just my typical failure at being able to find and chat people up. Seems like there are more people into this than I thought. :o

Yureina:
You misquoted me

No. I misunderstood you. I failed to understand what you meant, with the "in practice" part, and wanted to be nice and explain how interaction between the two games worked.

I didn't manipulate your sentence, in any way, so I resent the accusation of misquoting.

1. give times in GMT, because you know, the site is not only used by americans.
2. time to blast you all from orbit [insert evil laugh here]
3. its the first escapist live show that im actually interested in, good job.
4. I like lists....

Strazdas:
1. give times in GMT, because you know, the site is not only used by americans.

1) North Carolina is about +5 or +6 to GMT, think of it this way, most video series The Escapist publishes comes out at noon for them, and 1700 for the UK crowd.

Strazdas:

2. time to blast you all from orbit [insert evil laugh here]

2) On second thoughts its probably best that you don't know when and where we are on.

Strazdas:

3. its the first escapist live show that im actually interested in, good job.
4. I like lists....

3) I'm digging out my mic to annoy the crap out of my comrades for this event.

4) Lists are good.

#) Profit.

18) I completely fucked up the quote tags, sorry about that.

You guys just gave me a reason to hook my PS3 back up.

DigitalSushi:

1)
2)
3)
4)

#) Profit.

You forgot the crucial step: "???" before profit.

Do the quick battle things actually take place in the Eve world or is it just the corperation and mercenary tabs that do that?

Edit: is it also normal not to be able to find any battles apart from the 3 instant battle options?

Strazdas:

DigitalSushi:

1)
2)
3)
4)

#) Profit.

I know right?, I fucked up the quote tags and a MEME, god I'm useless.

I'll just not tell anyone my PSN name for fear of them shunning me!

I've been playing Dust for a while now, it's pretty good but since it's only in beta none of the cross platform stuff works yet, other than Corps.
Some of the info in the article is wrong btw, there are NO "cosmetic upgrades" and stuff you can buy w Aurum you CANNOT buy w ISK, most of the Aurum items are either blueprints or you can access weapons/equipment a level early.
It's a fun game tho I recommend it.

Product Placement:

Yureina:
You misquoted me

No. I misunderstood you. I failed to understand what you meant, with the "in practice" part, and wanted to be nice and explain how interaction between the two games worked.

I didn't manipulate your sentence, in any way, so I resent the accusation of misquoting.

Well you didn't quote exactly what I said... soo... umm yeah. I'm just gonna flee now. I can't be arsed to get into a fight right now.

OT: I do have a question though... for us EVE people and the whole orbital bombardment thing... how big a difference, if any, does using different guns make? I'm wondering if I should just have a cheap noob ship with civilian guns or a fully T2 fit battleship for kabooming stuff. o_o

DigitalSushi:

Strazdas:

DigitalSushi:

1)
2)
3)
4)

#) Profit.

I know right?, I fucked up the quote tags and a MEME, god I'm useless.

I'll just not tell anyone my PSN name for fear of them shunning me!

So your not going to tell anyone your PescoDiablo, are you?
oooops
(its on your profile)

Yureina:
Well you didn't quote exactly what I said...

What you said:

What I quoted (bolded):

I didn't alter the text that I quoted to change what you were saying in any way. All the unbolded part adds to your post is that you've been too busy to find out how the Dust/EVE interaction works, in addition to you tending to focusing on different things, when playing EVE. You still stated that you didn't know how the interaction between the two games worked (in practice), so even if I had quoted the filler text, my answer would have been exactly the same.

Yureina:
how big a difference, if any, does using different guns make?

Ok. This time, it's a question, right? I'm not gonna get flack for answering this one.

Eve is not gonna allow you to use normal guns for bombardment. You need to equip specialized orbital bombardment weaponry, called Tactical Strike guns. They only come in small size, meaning that you can pretty much mount them on any type of a ship. Cruising in on a decked out Battleship is fine, but unnecessary and isn't gonna change the effects.

Also, some extra reading material:
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/EVE-DUST_514_Link_FAQ#How_do_I_shoot_planets.21.3F

of dirty multiplayer fps console peasants squabbling over capture points while the PC master race spreadsheet elites watch over the spectacle and occasionally bomb the crap out of someone sounds intriguing. But I dont feel worthy to play eve, and I am not getting a PS3, so I guess I will just have to hear about it.

Placed a message to one of you.

But it may be prudent to create a password protected Public Chat channel in addition to the corp. This way players like me who can't join your corp given our director roles and duties can still participate alongside in another way. The channel can be controlled EVE side if you have any EVE toons, or you can simply set to invite only and invite authorized players, in the similar manner in which you are processing corp apps.

Thanks.

Well now. Working with slash competing against staff writers in a game I'm actually somewhat decent at? Color me intrigued enough to forget the fact I'm still equipped with scrub gear for the most part.

...I...am not very good.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 59787)