THQ Auctions Off Remaining IPs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

THQ Auctions Off Remaining IPs

The company expects a "vigorous" sale for its remaining franchises, such as Darksiders and Homeworld.

Since THQ's collapse a couple of months ago, a number of publishers have already stepped forward and purchased IPs from the company, giving these franchises a chance to live on in the hands of others. Several titles in the company's catalogue, however, have yet to be claimed by anyone, with THQ's Jason Rubin stating that they will be sold separately. Now, it looks like the sale is happening: THQ has announced that it will be auctioning off the rights to its remaining franchises to the highest bidder.

A THQ press release announces that several assets are available for bidding, including a number of major franchises such as Darksiders, Homeworld, and Red Faction. The company intends to complete the court-supervised sales for the remaining IPs by mid-May of this year.

THQ has designated six separate groups of titles for bidding:

• Red Faction and its three sequels
  • Homeworld and Homeworld 2
  • MX vs. ATV, consisting of eight titles
  • Darksiders and Darksiders 2
  • Other software owned by THQ, consisting of 40 titles including Destroy All Humans!, Titan Quest, and uDraw
  • Software licensed by THQ, consisting of 36 titles including Worms, Nexuiz and Supreme Commander

Once you've proven to THQ you're financially capable of joining in the sale, your bids for any of these lots need to be in by April 1, with final bidding cut off by April 15. Once the winning bid and backup offer are determined, THQ and the creditors committee will present the sales to Court for final approval.

THQ claims to have received "more than 100 expressions of interest in purchasing various titles", and is expecting a "vigorous" sale for its remaining intellectual assets.

Source: Press Release via Joystiq

Come on Sega! Pick up the Homeworld Ip, AND DO SOMETHING WITH IT!

Well, one good thing that might happen is a new Homeworld game. I mean, if someone puts up money for it, they'll likely want to put it to some use, and THQ seems to have been content to sit on the franchise and do nothing with it for the past 10 years.

See THQ, maybe if you didn't toss away so much money on crap like uDraw and put out more games in your good franchises, you wouldn't have gone under...

Someone better get those Worms right and keep Team 17 eating hot meals. My bid is [pocket rummage] lets see [/pocket rummage] 18.23 and a biro. I'll throw in some cotton buds (unused) and an altoids tin full of nail clippings if that sweetens the deal.

I'd be suprised if Darksiders doesn't go for a decent price. There are at least two more games in the franchise if I've been counting my apocalyptic horsepersons correctly and the previous games weren't too shabby. I guess we have to wait until April to see what will come of things.

Though I'm not overly fond of Homeworld, my friends are. And I'd like for these guys to manage to snap the IP up :)

Desert Punk:

nooooooooooooooooooooooo
not sega. for fucks sake not sega.

i have the feeling EA is going to snatch the homeworld i.p.

Sega, grab Homeworld and throw it to Relic.

I'll give you a tenner for the rights to Destroy All Humans! That was a fun game.

Maybe this sale will mean we'll see some action out of these old IPs.

Though even I wouldn't want to buy the rights to uDraw. They'd have to pay me. I've seen those things sell for $5, and it was a big factor in tanking the company.

Actually.

If they don't get bought. Does this mean they enter public property? Wouldn't that be a good thing? If everyone could make awesome games using these IP's as a basis?

Oh who am I kidding of course not. The evil empire of the Mouse made sure that could never happen again. Gotta make the moneys.

TITAN QUEST!

Someone pick that up and USE IT FOR THE LOVE OF THE MAKER.

Also wouldn't mind a new Destroy All Humans game. They've all been fun, solid little games.

rhizhim:

Desert Punk:

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why not Sega? Sega owns Relic (You know the people who made Homeworld 1 and 2) and they also make Total War which is a badass series of games.

Desert Punk:

rhizhim:

Desert Punk:

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why not Sega? Sega owns Relic (You know the people who made Homeworld 1 and 2) and they also make Total War which is a badass series of games.

because sega seems to make some really dumb decisions right now.

it might end up with segas Three Rings Design studio and homeworld becomes a social mmo like Doctor Who: Worlds in Time.

1337mokro:
Actually.

If they don't get bought. Does this mean they enter public property? Wouldn't that be a good thing? If everyone could make awesome games using these IP's as a basis?

Oh who am I kidding of course not. The evil empire of the Mouse made sure that could never happen again. Gotta make the moneys.

something free for the masses and the greater good?

ha! ahahahahahahahahahahahahha!

they get of course destroyed.

1337mokro:
Actually.

They will get bought. If noone puts up a reasonable offer, EA or Actizzard will come in and go "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL 10$!". Goodbye, Franchise #214563462758465352421 killed by them.

FEichinger:

1337mokro:
Actually.

They will get bought. If noone puts up a reasonable offer, EA or Actizzard will come in and go "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL 10$!". Goodbye, Franchise #214563462758465352421 killed by them.

God there is a horrifying thought

Homeworld 3 as made by the retards who made Diablo 3

"Homeworld, because why not have a real money auction house and always online!"

Granted the second part could be EA too... ~.~

uDraw is up for grabs? I'm sure that'll fetch a high price o_O

It'd probably be easier to retire it completely seeing as it's practically symbolic of shutting an entire corporation down...

Come on Platinum, pick up Darksiders. You know you want to! You even expressed interest in it last month.

And Red Faction? Seems logical to give it to DICE, they're the ones with that showed off the destruction with Battlefield, aren't they? Although it does mean it would take even longer for a new Mirrors' Edge :/

Darksiders and Homeworld are the only two franchises here I give a shit about, tbh.
Well, and maybe Red Faction to a degree. It was pretty ok, and could become much better in the right hands.

As a fan of the original Total Annihilation I found Supreme Commander to be pretty good, but the series went down the "simplify and streamline" route and that, imho, sucked all the fun out of it. It was the last RTS series I played before I pretty much gave up on the genre and moved to RPGs which, while often very streamlined, told much better stories to compensate.

The company that made Titan Quest isn't around anymore IIRC, so I guess I don't care much about who exactly buys it.

I really hope Sega buys Homeworld. Relic is the only developer that can be trusted with the IP. They created the franchise in the first place, and they are the only major RTS developer left in the industry.

Don't care much about anything else on the list, but here's hoping that worthy IPs will find owners whose heads aren't stuffed up their asses.

Oh man, now I'm picturing Valve making Homeworld 3... ..oh wait, it's got a three in the title.

Arse.

Some1 revive Homeworld!

Dear god i thought Activision had owned that franchise when Relic didn't have the license... But to see it show up here in THQ's auction, WOOOOOO!

UP next:
EA BUYS OUT HOMEWORLD AND TURNS IT INTO A FPS WITH TACKED ON MULTIPLAYER!

Search your feelings you know it o be true.

God I hope someone decent buys up Supcom and destroy all humans both are in serious need of a reboot. Honestly imagine destroy all humans with a decent budget and started from scratch again.

lancar:
Darksiders and Homeworld are the only two franchises here I give a shit about, tbh.
Well, and maybe Red Faction to a degree. It was pretty ok, and could become much better in the right hands.

As a fan of the original Total Annihilation I found Supreme Commander to be pretty good, but the series went down the "simplify and streamline" route and that, imho, sucked all the fun out of it. It was the last RTS series I played before I pretty much gave up on the genre and moved to RPGs which, while often very streamlined, told much better stories to compensate.

check out planetary annihilation, made by the same guys that did TA and SC.

I do hope that Darksiders and Homeworld find a decent home that will not just let the IP collect dust.

It would be neat if Runic Games could pick up Titian Quest.

Yellowfish:
The company that made Titan Quest isn't around anymore IIRC, so I guess I don't care much about who exactly buys it.

Well actually, they are around in a sense as Crate Entertainment.

They're the ones making Grim Dawn, which is "Titan Quest With Lovecraft". They posted the first bit of artwork on the TQ forums right around when Iron Lore went under

SEGA must buy Homeworld. Any other company will miss the point of the series. Relic has got to get its baby back.

Ok guys,
we all chip in a fiver and buy us something
what'd you thing? Homeworld or Darksiders?

kajinking:
God I hope someone decent buys up Supcom and destroy all humans both are in serious need of a reboot. Honestly imagine destroy all humans with a decent budget and started from scratch again.

I too would love a Supcom 3, if it was done more like Supcom 1 instead of 2.

But sadly Supreme commander both 1 and 2 lost money instead of making it, so its doubtful we will see a third game.

You might give Planetary Annihilation a look though, its another spiritual successor that was recently kickstarted quit successfully http://planetaryannihilation.com/

tmande2nd:
UP next:
EA BUYS OUT HOMEWORLD AND TURNS IT INTO A FPS WITH TACKED ON MULTIPLAYER!

Search your feelings you know it o be true.

If this happens...I will find you...and make you pay for tempting fate in such a way! :P

Out of all the developers the two I least hope that get it are EA and Activision in that order. Atleast if Activision gets it, they have Sierra under their banner who MIGHT do ok with it...

1337mokro:
Actually.

Right now, the bankruptcy trust owns the IPs and if they don't sell, they'll be held until somebody comes forth with an offer or 95 years after the first publication date. At this stage, THQ can't even declare it public domain. If it's any consolation, these copyrights are poorly defended and while a corporation making a big ticket item is unlikely, fan projects are very unlikely to get shut down.

thenumberthirteen:
I'll give you a tenner for the rights to Destroy All Humans! That was a fun game.

Maybe this sale will mean we'll see some action out of these old IPs.

Though even I wouldn't want to buy the rights to uDraw. They'd have to pay me. I've seen those things sell for $5, and it was a big factor in tanking the company.

Probably why it's part of a package.

1337mokro:

If they don't get bought. Does this mean they enter public property?

No.

Wouldn't that be a good thing? If everyone could make awesome games using these IP's as a basis?

It would be.

All the Mouse did was make it so that trademarks can (effectively) be renewed indefinitely. That has no place here, however. None of these would be eligible for the public domain at this point, anyway.

...what about Saints Row? Why hasn't anyone here even mentioned Saints Row yet?
Edit: Nevermind, looks like Deep Silver already got ahold of the Volition stuff.

Desert Punk:

rhizhim:

Desert Punk:

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sega has expressed a very restrictive attitude towards the copyright of some of its IP's, which if they decide to do with Homeworld as well, it could potentially be very damaging to the series and to its modding community.

Also, Sega indeed owns Relic, but the Relic of 1999-2003, and the Relic of today, are two quite different entities. Some of the key developers who have helped create Homeworld are no longer employed by Relic, most notable of which in my opinion is Rob Cunningham, who not only left Relic, but he created his own studio, BlackBird Interactive, which incidentally, is currently working on a game that looks much more in-tune with Homeworld than anything Relic has put out in the past 10 years.

You know, I'm gonna throw my hat in with the "I hope Sega buys Homeworld" crowd. Of all the major companies that might buy it they seem to be the best, though I'm basing this solely on the Total War series and the hope that even without a lot of the original Relic people, as Spitfire pointed out above, there will at least be enough of the institutional culture left to make a good game.

It's odd, so often game publishers are viewed as villains (EA, Activision), when did Sega, which definitely has been around long enough and has been big enough to earn animosity, become someone we root for?

And here's another one: looking at the list I noticed Full Spectrum Warrior is being sold as well. I'm really curious to see who ends up with that and what they would end up doing with it. I loved the concept of essentially an Infantry squad leader simulation, but the execution perhaps could have been a nit netter.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here