UPDATE: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment Now On PSN

UPDATE: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment Now On PSN

The names in Eternal Punishment may be a little unfamiliar, but the game is the same.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - not to be confused with its sinister twin, Innocent Sin - is finally seeing re-release. A localized 2000 PlayStation edition of the game has been brought to the PlayStation Network, as a PSOne Classic.

It's pretty much exactly as it was - graphics and gameplay included - when it first saw the light of day; "unusual circumstances", according to the PlayStation Blog, are to blame for lack of a localized PSP version. "You'll still control a party of oddballs brought together by disturbing goings-on in Sumaru City," promises the PlayStation Blog; "teen-focused magazine reporter Maya Amano, her unlucky-in-love boxer friend Ulala Serizawa, the upright police detective Katsuya Suou, and a shady Taiwanese fixer known as 'Baofu.'" They've banded together to get to the bottom of the Joker Curse, all the while being dogged by a strangely familiar looking boy.

"The one thing that might throw players who got their start on the PSP or Vita is that a few of the names might seem unfamiliar," says the PlayStation Blog. It's a localization thing; because this is an older version of Persona, some of the names were altered to better fit American naming conventions. If you're keen to know who's who and who isn't, there's a complete list over here.

This one's $9.99 on the Store, so if you've been waiting patiently to complete your Persona journey, today could be your lucky day.

Source: Game Informer

Update: Initial reports indicate a problem with this title. Though intended for PS3, Vita, and PSP, the PS3 version is the only one working at the moment. Sony's Morgan Haro has apologized for the problem, and estimates a fix time of a few weeks, in the very worst case scenario.

Source: Game Informer

I still have the original disc for this on PS1. I wonder if it isn't too scratched to work. I'll probably pick this up for the Vita and give it a playthrough when I get the spare cash. It's been a while and I don't think I was able to finish it as a kid since I don't seem to remember how it ends.

My original Ps1 disc still works perfectly despite it's age. But hey, nice to see one of my favourite RPGs on PSN.

We must break the Joker curse so that Chris Nolan's Batman will at last get the finale he deserves, not the finale he needs.

So does this mean we'll never be able to import our IS Tatsuya into EP?

Bah. I wish it was the PSP version of Eternal Punishment, but you can't win 'em all. At least more people will potentially play it, now.

To anyone that has played this game, how does it play in comparison to Persona 3?

Persona 2 is the best in the series. No dating-sim stuff like the later entries, but a deeper system with much more customization and control. The plot is kinda silly but I love it. My old disc still works, but I might buy this, just 'cuz.

"Let's positive thinking!"

Yay, downloading this along with Innocent Sin, provided it's on the PAL store. Then my Persona collection will be complete!

Really? what, they couldn't translate the PSP version or something? I love it when they never explain "unusual circumstances"

I'll hold off until I finish Innocent Sin and hope the PSP version comes out soon. I still haven't finished Persona 1 on the PSP.

Also, I started on PSP, so the name "Katsuya" annoys me greatly...

Ye gods, good on ya guys for that update. I'll wait till I can play this on my Vita.

It's nice that the west has all the games to play on the go now but it's a shame the only good thing about the Persona 2 duology is the story.

TizzytheTormentor:
Really? what, they couldn't translate the PSP version or something? I love it when they never explain "unusual circumstances"

I'll hold off until I finish Innocent Sin and hope the PSP version comes out soon. I still haven't finished Persona 1 on the PSP.

They've have probably screwed that up too. This is my 3rd new release for something that was supposed to work on the Vita that the PS3-vita connection didn't recognize this year.

And a correction to the article. It does work on the PSP if you download on the PS3 and transfer it over. It just doesn't show up on the storefront, and that doesn't work on the vita.

Toilet:
It's nice that the west has all the games to play on the go now but it's a shame the only good thing about the Persona 2 duology is the story.

I dunno man, I have been playing Innocent Sin, the music kicks so much ass, the fighting is fun, fusion attacks are great (gotta bring those back for Persona 5, way better than All-Out Attacks) and contacting demons is a good laugh, spreading rumors works well and the characters and their interactions are great.

The way the velvet room works...yeah, that part sucks...

kiri2tsubasa:
To anyone that has played this game, how does it play in comparison to Persona 3?

nothing like it at all, the mechanics are completely different, the social thing is basically non-existent, and to get demons you have to talk and convince them to make a contract mid battle which needs to be done to get better persona.

only similar thing is it has demons and a velvet room.

its a good game tho, its just persona 3 is just a very different sequel.

I just have to say I loathe it when translators change names to fit 'naming conventions'. Tamaki is now Tammy? Sonomura Maki is now Mary? Fuck that shit.

Denamic:
Sonomura Maki is now Mary? Fuck that shit.

Not to mention they completely screwed up the girls, too. Mae and Maggie...it completely removes the subtle indication of what's going on there. Mae and Rei would have worked, too...it's not like the meaning wouldnt translate @_@

TizzytheTormentor:

I think the PS1 version of Eternal Punishment being re-released was the final nail in the coffin for the PSP version. Why would they give us the PSP version when we can get a cheaper version of the same game anyway, and with piracy rates being very high on the PSP, I think it's unfortunately time to let it go.

TizzytheTormentor:

Toilet:

I dunno man, I have been playing Innocent Sin, the music kicks so much ass, the fighting is fun, fusion attacks are great (gotta bring those back for Persona 5, way better than All-Out Attacks) and contacting demons is a good laugh, spreading rumors works well and the characters and their interactions are great.

The way the velvet room works...yeah, that part sucks...

Comes down to personal taste but I hate everything about it. The combat system is a slow boring drudge through menus, contacting demons for cards and other goodies is another boring option which comes down to memorizing what demon likes what and spreading rumors is really tedious because it is just a matter of finding the right NPC(s), going back to the PI place and getting the guy to spread the rumor. The music is good however and I really like that animated introduction cutscene on the PSP version.

I wish I could get into it because I have heard that there is a really good story in there with cool characters, it's a shame everything I hate bogs down the good parts. Makes sense that I think P3P is the best Persona game, I tend to think as the whole Persona series as entry level SMT games where shit gets really hardcore.

I haven't played either Persona 2 game - how do Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment compare to one another?

IE - if I pick one up, which one should I pick up first?

Note: I've played Persona 1, 3, and 4. Persona 3 is my favorite.

Bara_no_Hime:
I haven't played either Persona 2 game - how do Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment compare to one another?

IE - if I pick one up, which one should I pick up first?

Note: I've played Persona 1, 3, and 4. Persona 3 is my favorite.

Since you've played 1, 2 will be much easier to get into since they have the same kind of gameplay. Start with Innocent Sin though, because Eternal Punishment is part 2 in terms of the story. Most of the big reveals and plot twists of IS lose their impact if you played EP before it, so definitely play IS first if you want to get the best experience.

Quantum Star:
Since you've played 1, 2 will be much easier to get into since they have the same kind of gameplay. Start with Innocent Sin though, because Eternal Punishment is part 2 in terms of the story. Most of the big reveals and plot twists of IS lose their impact if you played EP before it, so definitely play IS first if you want to get the best experience.

Ah! Thanks!

Innocent Sin has been sitting on my Amazon Wish List for some time now. I was a bit disappointed by Persona 1 (it was okay, but no Social Links means the game is somewhat less interesting to me). Also I accidentally causes my favorite characters to not join or to leave the party (I didn't realize certain characters were mutually exclusive or had special recruitment requirements) so my experience overall was less than the best. However, even so, the plot was interesting and I liked the basic concept.

I probably would have bought Innocent Sin already, but the lack of Social Links has caused me some pause. I wouldn't mind it as a gift, and the continually lowering price is pushing it towards the point of an "oh what the hell" purchase. The $9.99 mark on Eternal Punishment is just that sort of price, so if that had been the first one, I probably would have gone ahead and picked it up. As it stands, I think I'll wait and see if anyone gets me Innocent Sin for my birthday.

ramboondiea:

kiri2tsubasa:

nothing like it at all, the mechanics are completely different, the social thing is basically non-existent, and to get demons you have to talk and convince them to make a contract mid battle which needs to be done to get better persona.

So since I prefer the P4 Golden system, odds are I probably will not enjoy this game huh?

kiri2tsubasa:
So since I prefer the P4 Golden system, odds are I probably will not enjoy this game huh?

It's hard to say...inclination is possibly not, but at the same time, you can see little details that seem almost dismissed plotwise that factor into the future games...

an event in Persona 1, for instance, I believe *CREATED* the final boss of P3's 'Answer' which in turn, caused the events of the game itself.

Gameplaywise, the contact stuff can both be awkward, and entertaining...I'd much prefer the whole 'shuffle time' etc thing. the later games sped things up a LOT in terms of the grindery.

Bara_no_Hime:

Quantum Star:

Ah! Thanks!

Innocent Sin has been sitting on my Amazon Wish List for some time now. I was a bit disappointed by Persona 1 (it was okay, but no Social Links means the game is somewhat less interesting to me). Also I accidentally causes my favorite characters to not join or to leave the party (I didn't realize certain characters were mutually exclusive or had special recruitment requirements) so my experience overall was less than the best. However, even so, the plot was interesting and I liked the basic concept.

I probably would have bought Innocent Sin already, but the lack of Social Links has caused me some pause. I wouldn't mind it as a gift, and the continually lowering price is pushing it towards the point of an "oh what the hell" purchase. The $9.99 mark on Eternal Punishment is just that sort of price, so if that had been the first one, I probably would have gone ahead and picked it up. As it stands, I think I'll wait and see if anyone gets me Innocent Sin for my birthday.

Nearly everyone that's played them agree that Persona 2 is better than 1 in every way. The characters are a lot more interesting and have more PERSONAlity, and if you hated the ridiculous recruiting requirements, they're gone, since there's only 1 extra character and he's practically given to you. The story is fantastic, (better than 1, 3 and 4, but that's just my opinion,) and I won't spoil anything, but something that makes it unique is that it takes full advantage of being split into 2 parts. If you couldn't stand Persona 1's gameplay, and the lack of social links is just too important, (as well as a few long loading times,) you might want to pass on it (unless it's on sale or something,) but the characters, story, music, little gameplay tweaks, everything else about it so much better than Persona 1. I thought it was totally worth the money, so I say grab it if you get the chance.

kiri2tsubasa:

ramboondiea:

kiri2tsubasa:

yeah its nothing like p4. however its a very solid game and its own mechanics are good, just don't expect it to be like the latter persona games. but if you like the persona series for more then the social sim-dating stuff then i would recommend both persona 2s.

Oh god, I feel like such a chump. Recently I spent $120 to get this game off Ebay... Now I'm sad.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here