Larian Lifts the Lid On Divinity: Dragon Commander

Larian Lifts the Lid On Divinity: Dragon Commander

Larian's "dragons with jetpacks" game has a new website and a snazzy trailer that's actually kind of informative.

We got our first look at Dragon Commander back in 2011 and cool though it was, it wasn't much to go on, either - just some kind of steampunk RTS with dragons and stuff. But now it's time to finally get a good look at what it's all about, thanks to a new, more detailed trailer and a full-blown website of its very own.

Divinity: Dragon Commander, so titled because it's somehow connected to Larian's Divinity fantasy setting, will combine turn-based strategy, RTS combat, political intrigue, collectible cards and even the ability to transform into a dragon and personally smack around your foes. Putting all that together without turning it into an absolute hash is a tall order, especially for a tiny indie studio, but the new trailer looks awfully good, cheesy narration notwithstanding. Screens, too!

Barring unforeseen circumstances, Larian hopes to have Divinity: Dragon Commander out this summer for the PC and Mac, although the Mac version may come out later, and while objectively I realize that this is not a game for everyone, I'd be lying if a big part of me didn't want to scream, "But it's dragons with jetpacks! Come on!" Do you get where I'm coming from? If so, you might want to spend some time poking around at divinitydragoncommander.com.

Im keeping this on my radar, partially due to there being nothing else out this summer that i know of that interests me.

And yes, id think id like it to not suck.

I don't know what amuses me more: the fact that the dragons have jetpacks, or that they're British.
A game where I can role play as Yahtzee is a game I will definitely be keeping an eye on.

This is looking pretty good so far, I really enjoyed divinity 2 and this looks like its got dragon combat that is more polished then that had so yay.

Rational part of my mind: "But why would a dragon need a jetpack?"
The fun part of my mind: "Shut up!"

Larian Studios is really good at making Video Games.

I am probably gunna 'pre-order' this because I know it will be good.

How do you make dragons more awesome?
Give them jet packs of course!

Sadly it didn't work with hedgehogs and rocket shoes.

OT: This looks interesting, it might not be my preferred type of game,
but I'm keeping my eyes on it. Maybe I'll buy it later. It certainly looks different.

I've been enjoying Divinity 2 thanks to the last discount in GOG and it's pretty awesome, I'm already looking forward to finally play Divine Divinity (got it on their pay-what-you-want promotion, but never got to play it).

This looks pretty interesting indeed and I'm already looking forward to it.

From what I saw this studio works hard and got a raw deal on it's last game due to budget and time. I hope it works out well for them this time. Always nice to see studios trying a few original and ambitious ideas.

Wow this looks pretty fun. Color me intrigued, I'll be keeping an eye on this game.

First thought at seeing the first screen shot 'hey look, an MMO GUI, not interested'.

we've come a long way in jetpack reptile technology since the days where we'd strap one to a brontosaurus and let it lazily drift about. why, we didn't even know that it was a made up creature!

I've never been a fan of the RTS/action games where the commander can enter the fray and the game turns into a shooter. However, it does look fun with some dialogue moments possible.

Looks like these guys got the right formula for that silly yet serious RTS Red Alert used to bring, if unit control isn't all wonky this will be something to own.

So no Original Sin this year. :(

Sweet! I am glad they listened to their forums, originally this was announced for every console as well as PC, but seems they are pulling it back to just PC and Mac.

I'm struggling to see where the transition from Divine Divinity to this happened. Not complaining, just slightly baffled.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here