Slender: The Arrival Leaves You With Nothing But Your Instincts

Pages PREV 1 2

AC10:
So long as they don't try to copyright slenderman as their own IP. It's clearly public domain, spawning from 4chan (namely /x/) and other sites like The SCP Foundation ( http://www.scp-wiki.net/ ).

I would just be frustrated if a company came in and thus had exclusive rights to all slender content.

Slenderman didn't originate from /x/ but from the SomethingAwful forums

I'll stick with SCP Containment Breach.

Korten12:

Mcoffey:
Already preordered. The beta was both beautiful and terrifying. Absolutely stoked for the final release.

I just preordered it... Dat beta. Is the full release going to have more? Because currently it just felt like the original version but with updated graphics. Not like the trailer that had more.

Oh yeah. The beta is just one level out of the several in the whole campaign. It's still a 5 dollar indie game, no AAA length here, but they do promise variety from the missions as well as your objectives in them. I think this will be the only level that has you collecting pages.

Mcoffey:

Korten12:

Mcoffey:
Already preordered. The beta was both beautiful and terrifying. Absolutely stoked for the final release.

I just preordered it... Dat beta. Is the full release going to have more? Because currently it just felt like the original version but with updated graphics. Not like the trailer that had more.

Oh yeah. The beta is just one level out of the several in the whole campaign. It's still a 5 dollar indie game, no AAA length here, but they do promise variety from the missions as well as your objectives in them. I think this will be the only level that has you collecting pages.

Cool, I will say though. Even though he beta is currently just the Eight pages with better graphics, is still scary as fuck. More so than the original.

Kalezian:

I would LURVE it if SCP had an actual developer making their games.

yea, they are scary as fuck to begin with, but just imagine if the same production was put into them as is with The Arrival.

Work out the multitude of bugs in SCP: Containment Breach & you've got an excellent game there (right now, it's just a decent concept)

Therumancer:

It's the same problem I have with a lot of horror mythologies when they go on for a while, there is a point at which it becomes hard to believe it could be kept secret, or why the creature(s) haven't just taken over the world yet. I mean strictly speaking I see no reason why the Marble Hornets version of Slenderman couldn't just waltz into The White House, gobble up Obama, and take over the country (or replace any world leader with that for that matter). Then all he'd need to do is have some kids bussed in every so often for a "meet the president field trip" and have his own little buffet. :)

This is actually one of the things I really enjoy about Marble Hornets & the Slenderman mythos in general. The unknown is scarier than anything we can think up.
What is the Slenderman? Where did it come from? Why does it stalk people from the shadows? Why those people? Why hide when it seems so unstoppable? What does it do with/to them?

Why doesn't it just take over the world? Well... I guess it doesn't want to, or doesn't need to. Maybe it just enjoys terrorizing random people until it tires of them or they just snap. Maybe it isn't evil at all & there's something else going on we don't know about.

It's origin & motivations are a complete mystery, which allows you to project your own fear onto it, all the while sinking deeper into paranoia, as all you really know is that it's out there... love it :)

OTHER critters trying to get us?
I'm in!

Well, it looks pretty nice, but it might get boring after a while. I had an idea once for a horror game where you have to investigate a monster in and around a small town. The playthroughs would only be about 3 hours a time, but the twist is that it'd be a different monster each time, and details of the town and the case (and even the surroundings) would change. The big catch would be that if you died in a playthrough, then that mystery would remain unsolved. Each playthrough would also only have one save file, so you can't save-scum into finding a monster. I think that it'd make the players be a lot more cautious and make them actually fear death.

Busard:

AC10:
So long as they don't try to copyright slenderman as their own IP. It's clearly public domain, spawning from 4chan (namely /x/) and other sites like The SCP Foundation ( http://www.scp-wiki.net/ ).

I would just be frustrated if a company came in and thus had exclusive rights to all slender content.

Okay, fine.
Regardless of where he originated from, my concerned about IP ownership vs. public domain still stands, yes?

AC10:

Busard:

AC10:

Okay, fine.
Regardless of where he originated from, my concerned about IP ownership vs. public domain still stands, yes?

The only people with a reasonable claim for copyright would be the original creator, or the Marble Hornets staff, but they have been at this for so many years without a claim that if they tried now, they'd get shut down almost immediately.

I don't get the appeal of Slenderman.. I found the game boring, shallow and really not scary in any sense... but to each their own I guess...

Therumancer:

James Joseph Emerald:
Interesting side-note: It's been speculated that Slender Man was based off the 'Tall Man' character from Yahtzee's indie adventure series:

So the whole thing has kind of come full circle now that there's an article on the Escapist about it. Hm.

Well, the tall, creepy guy in a suit is an old idea. Phantasm used the same thing and called him... uh, the Tall Man. then there was The Gaunt Man in TORG.

The concept for a mysterious faceless man in a suit? Where have I seen that before?

Woohoo, more walking in the woods very very slowly for an hour and then suddenly dying. I'm sure Pewdiepie will be very excited. Apparently videogame horror has devolved into 14-year-olds-around-a-campfire level of stories, brought to life via shitty Unity tech demos. Pretty fucking depressing.

i have a crippling phobia of the slender man, ergo i will not be purchasing/playing this game. someone tell me how it goes, though.

Carnagath:
Woohoo, more walking in the woods very very slowly for an hour and then suddenly dying. I'm sure Pewdiepie will be very excited. Apparently videogame horror has devolved into 14-year-olds-around-a-campfire level of stories, brought to life via shitty Unity tech demos. Pretty fucking depressing.

And your definition of a good horror game would be what, oh master of the art form?

Mcoffey:

Carnagath:

And your definition of a good horror game would be what, oh master of the art form?

I tend to enjoy stuff like characters, a story, a variety of environments, a degree of pacing, you know... I'm weird like that.

Can't we all just be grateful that someone is at least trying to make a horror game and not just a dumb shooter with monsters? I hope it turns out to be really good, but even if it's just average or even mediocre I might be able to overlook the flaws and enjoy getting a little horror in a videogame.

Carnagath:

Mcoffey:

Carnagath:

I tend to enjoy stuff like characters, a story, a variety of environments, a degree of pacing, you know... I'm weird like that.

The full game will have a story, a variety of environments. As to the pacing and the characters, I cannot say; it's not out yet. All of that doesn't matter when crafting horror though. Many would say the best horror comes from isolation. Amnesia: The Dark Descent was just you, in a castle, with some monsters. Plot was barebones but that didn't matter. It's atmosphere was what sucked you in and made you terrified. Slender does the same with the same level of skill.

You still haven't mentioned a better horror game.

Mcoffey:

Carnagath:

Mcoffey:

The full game will have a story, a variety of environments. As to the pacing and the characters, I cannot say; it's not out yet. All of that doesn't matter when crafting horror though. Many would say the best horror comes from isolation. Amnesia: The Dark Descent was just you, in a castle, with some monsters. Plot was barebones but that didn't matter. It's atmosphere was what sucked you in and made you terrified. Slender does the same with the same level of skill.

You still haven't mentioned a better horror game.

Yeah, you seem to be comparing Slender to Amnesia, so any conversation with you is a waste of time. Have a nice day.

Carnagath:

Yeah, you seem to be comparing Slender to Amnesia, so any conversation with you is a waste of time. Have a nice day.

Okay, so you have no rebuttal, and nothing intelligent to say, so you decide to be insulting and dismissive. Quite the charmer, you are.

Question: did anyone else buy the beta, and had a DMG file in their hands (instead of an .exe installer)? If anyone could help me on this one, that'd be great...

Grenge Di Origin:
Question: did anyone else buy the beta, and had a DMG file in their hands (instead of an .exe installer)? If anyone could help me on this one, that'd be great...

Did you try redownloading? I read somewhere that has something to do with their servers being updated for the Mac Version of the Beta. You might have accidentally downloaded the mac version instead of the windows one.

Hope this is deeper into the Slenderman Mythos than the original, I'm tired of hearing kids chat about it while hardly know who or what Slenderman is.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here