Iran Sends Snipers to Exterminate Giant Mutant Rats

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Iran Sends Snipers to Exterminate Giant Mutant Rats

No, this isn't the plot of a B movie, this is actually happening.

Tehran, the capital of Iran, has a rat problem. No, let me rephrase that: Tehran has a monster problem, and they just happen to look like rats. According to Tehran's city council, radiation and chemicals that have been used against the rodents over many years have mutated the typically diminutive pests. The rats currently roaming the streets can weigh as much as 11lbs, and are now larger than the cats that used to prey on them.

Chemicals and poisons that were once utilized to keep the pest problem in check appear to have no effect on the new, larger breed, so Iran called in the big guns - literally.

After the sun sets, snipers with infra-red capabilities take up positions around the capital and begin scanning for the mutant rodents. After a night of "pest control," the bodies of the freakish animals are either burned or buried in lime to prevent the spread of disease.

According to city officials, over 2,200 of the cat-sized rats have been taken out, but that's just the beginning. The city hopes to flesh out the sniper brigade even further, eventually bumping up their numbers to as many as 40 armed, rat-murdering men in uniform.

Source: IBTimes via Geekosystem
Image Credit: Korobokkuru

11 lb. rats. 11 lb. rats. If they get any bigger, they're going to need anti tank rifles to take them out.

Attack of the Giant Iranian Rats?

Real life looks more and more like fiction every day.

Anti-American Eagle:
11 lb. rats. 11 lb. rats. If they get any bigger, they're going to need anti tank rifles to take them out.

Thats what tactical air strikes are for though, giant mutant rodents :P

Would any of the said mutated rats happen to be training young mutated turtles in the arts of combat and deception?

Jandau:
Would any of the said mutated rats happen to be training young mutated turtles in the arts of combat and deception?

There is something wrong with the world. I don't know what it is but it's there. Like a splinter in Tehran. Driving me mad

I foresee many a young RPG adventurer, beginning their quest...

Eh, I've seen rats that big in Florida, the gators keep the population down though.

Ok, even if this 1950's sci-fi movie story about giant radioactive mutants is true, is there anyone here that thinks this wasn't just an excuse for Ahmadinejad to post snipers around the capital?

Do they train in Fallout or something?

Zombie_Moogle:
Ok, even if this 1950's sci-fi movie story about giant radioactive mutants is true, is there anyone here that thinks this wasn't just an excuse for Ahmadinejad to post snipers around the capital?

That was my first thought aswell.

Boris Goodenough:

Zombie_Moogle:

I feel like the giant burn piles of rat bodies would prove otherwise :D

SkarKrow:

Anti-American Eagle:

What kinda firepower would you need for 100+ pound rats?

But hey, some giant mutant rodents don't seem so bad.

I'm guessing these Iranian rodents aren't as cuddly though.

MikeWehner:

Well cover stories are always nice but Iran', well, media has been very active off late, the monkey in space that just happened to change colour and facial structure on the trip http://www.space.com/19629-iran-space-monkey-launch-questions.html . Their stealth fighter no expert in the field deemed able to fly plus the little model plane they used as "test footage" of the real plane. http://theaviationist.com/2013/02/13/our-stealth-fighter-jet-is-not-a-mock-up-irans-defense-minister-says/
But other than that I only believe lizard people rule the world *puts on tinfoil hat*.

And with Irans fucking around with nukes..

...We will soon have a giant godzilla rat living in the deserts instead of the ocean!

Tohuvabohu:

SkarKrow:

Anti-American Eagle:

What kinda firepower would you need for 100+ pound rats?

But hey, some giant mutant rodents don't seem so bad.

I'm guessing these Iranian rodents aren't as cuddly though.

Maybe they're decadent american spy rats?

And now I want the capybara! :3 Why would anyone harm it? D:

Some child in Tehran is about to begin the adventure of a lifetime...

Anti-American Eagle:

Given Iran's state media, has anyone considered that maybe they're exaggerating the size of the rats? You know, just a little, maybe they got the idea from Godzilla or Hulk comic.

Seriously 'radiation made them big' is some fantastic state-media science right there.

This story is a exactly a month too early.

The city council may well have said those things, but Iranian politicians are not renowned for their grasp of reality. Radiation and chemicals tend not to work that way. I'll buy that there are large rats there, but there are large rats elsewhere. They get a little over a foot long in New York, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some species in Tehran that gets a little bigger.

Sounds like a shitload of fun to me.

SkarKrow:

They make for delicious burgers.

Daystar Clarion:
I foresee many a young RPG adventurer, beginning their quest...

I can't be the only person envisioning themselves traveling to Iran clad in armor and wielding swords, war-hammers, axes, etc. This is the best news I've read in a long while (despite the fact that it must be horrifying for the people living in Tehran)

Radiation causing rats to grow to monster proportions, yeah I buy that. No, wait, I don't buy that for one fucking second. I have no trouble believing in some 11lb rats in Iran, but the explanation is ridiculous. Being a giant rat sniper sounds like a pretty fun gig though. Would make an interesting resume addition as well.

Mr Fixit:
Eh, I've seen rats that big in Florida, the gators keep the population down though.

Those are Nutria, they're a pestilent problem too, but they're SUPPOSED to get that big.

[quote="McMullen" post="7.402334.16597069"]This story is a exactly a month too early.

The city council may well have said those things, but Iranian politicians are not renowned for their grasp of reality. Radiation and chemicals tend not to work that way. I'll buy that there are large rats there, but there are large rats elsewhere. They get a little over a foot long in New York, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some species in Tehran that gets a little bigger.[/quote

It's probably Nutria or something

I can't help but feel a twist ending coming on.. perhaps it will be something like this this..

Holy crap! Let's just hope no nuclear energy gets thrown into the mix...

Part of me is incredibly curious what 11 lb rats look like, and the other part loves the idea of having a pet one.

...this is why the world didn't want Iran to have nuclear power, isn't it? Because we all knew, deep down, that something like this would happen.

Infrared capabilities and Iran don't seem to really match. Going off of how often Ahmadinejad lies to everyone, I'm just gonna be skeptical and say he's looking for a reason to "show off" his military force.

Snownine:
Radiation causing rats to grow to monster proportions, yeah I buy that. No, wait, I don't buy that for one fucking second. I have no trouble believing in some 11lb rats in Iran, but the explanation is ridiculous. Being a giant rat sniper sounds like a pretty fun gig though. Would make an interesting resume addition as well.

Sounds fun to me, too! It's a shame I'm a filthy Infidel American, or I could get a job as a Mutant Rat Shooter!

MikeWehner:

Boris Goodenough:

Zombie_Moogle:

pics or... you know the drill.
edit:

yeah the rat on the picture isnt that big.
i once saw one that could be the size of a small cat, but i thought it was an exception.
so i'll take this with a grain of salt. also this would be the most expensive rodent removal in history.big caliber bullets are kind of expensive..

also:

bl4ckh4wk64:
Infrared capabilities and Iran don't seem to really match. Going off of how often Ahmadinejad lies to everyone, I'm just gonna be skeptical and say he's looking for a reason to "show off" his military force.

When you think about it, it is an awfully conveinient excuse to basically lock down the streets at night in a region where civil wars are the norm.

So. Where can i apply for this job?

All that sniper training in BFBC2/BF3/Sniper Elite V2 can finally come in handy!

fix-the-spade:

SkarKrow:

They make for delicious burgers.

HOW COULD YOU? D:

Nah I'm sure they taste pretty good, probably not far removed from the taste of guinea pig.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here